Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Tod&BigMamaOdie

My hope for the Muppets is that they move back to the medium where they've had their biggest success; television. As some of you may know, Sean Bobbin and Brett MacKenzie worked on the excellent HBO show Flight of the Conchords. There is an opportunity to have those folks do a sort of all ages SNL, on at say seven on Sunday, where the Muppets can be topical and anarchic; like they were on Jim Henson's Muppet Show. The Muppet movies and the Muppets overall would be energized by their weekly presence in millions of households. Why folks at ABC/Disney haven't tried this... I just don't know.
I totally agree and have said this before. The new Muppet Show on ABC, Sundays at 7 or 7:30, followed by the Wonderful World of Disney (at least during some seasons, maybe summer or winter). Also, what happened to Saturday morning cartoons on the major networks? That was always a big deal in our household. What could Disney animation do now with The Muppet Babies? Bring back cartoons on Sat. mornings, I say. Lots of opportunities, not just in the shows but advertising ("synergies") too.

On an unrelated note, hello to @bubbles1812. Long time, no read. How have you been?

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Were you going to share?

Where appropriate. Right now it's mostly what we all already know. Us engineers also tend to wait until all the data is collected before providing conclusions and summaries :) They are down there for another 5 days.

The one stand-out is the incomplete nature of FP+ for fireworks/etc. The way Disney is handling that is ambiguous to users.

jakeman

I'm not obsessed, I'm appreciate of the character's history with Walt. And I'm quite happy to defend that history. What's your freaking beef with Oswald? As a so-called Disney insider, you seem to have a pretty negative view of the character that put Walt and company on the map. As for the Muppets, feh. Funny that, despite their VAST popularity and staying power, Jim Henson had to sell them to a company he was once considering buying (yeah, that's part of that "history" you mentioned. Disney was in such poor shape once that Jim considered buying it. Thank god that didn't happen. And how funny that Disney eventually righted itself while Jim went in the crapper). How do you explain that, if Henson's puppets are so evergreen and "relevant"?
I'm know I'm a little late to the party on this one by about 4 pages, but I think Henson's management of his IP went into the crapper when he...you know...died...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Here's a question I'd be interested in finding out the answer to, and was not getting much success googling.
So far, the Muppets were used in multiple commercials from other companies this year. Toyota, Lipton, Go-Gurt, and Subway to name a few I've found on a Wiki list.
These commericals were for another company, advertising their product. They also got to get a little tag-line in of "Go and see Muppets Most Wanted" on the end of these.
My quesiton.
Does Disney PAY for this, or does Disney GET PAID for these? By allowing the Muppets to be used in the commercials of another company, is Disney earning money off this property that are related to the movie, yet not directly tied to the movie? Is it a swap (ie, we'll let you use Kermit for free, as long as you put a movie tag in the end)?
I'm kind of curious here, because the Muppets were everywhere leading up to this film, but how much of it was actual marketing spend from Disney, and how much was absorbed via other methods?

R W B

When you checked out Cabana Bay, did you notice that they have their version of RapidFill, too (supposedly also including Coke Freestyle)? How much are the paper cups there? :greedy:

Coke Freestyle is the main reason I stopped going to a lot of restaurants. It makes basic drinks taste like garbage. If WDW ever starts using then I guess I'll bring my own cans of coke and only drink water elsewhere, same if I ever stay at Cabana Bay.

Tod&BigMamaOdie

Here's a question I'd be interested in finding out the answer to, and was not getting much success googling.
So far, the Muppets were used in multiple commercials from other companies this year. Toyota, Lipton, Go-Gurt, and Subway to name a few I've found on a Wiki list.
These commericals were for another company, advertising their product. They also got to get a little tag-line in of "Go and see Muppets Most Wanted" on the end of these.
My quesiton.
Does Disney PAY for this, or does Disney GET PAID for these? By allowing the Muppets to be used in the commercials of another company, is Disney earning money off this property that are related to the movie, yet not directly tied to the movie? Is it a swap (ie, we'll let you use Kermit for free, as long as you put a movie tag in the end)?
I'm kind of curious here, because the Muppets were everywhere leading up to this film, but how much of it was actual marketing spend from Disney, and how much was absorbed via other methods?
It's possible that they agreed to a swap type arrangement, but I would believe that the Muppets would be a licensee, meaning Disney would receive payment. Not certain though.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's more about colab advertising. Shared costs to get a common objective - eyeballs.

Think about it.. ignoring the movie in theaters.. do you think that company sat down and said "you know what we really need... the muppets in our commerical". It's a 'push' from Disney's side to get the characters into those ads.

danv3

Coke Freestyle is the main reason I stopped going to a lot of restaurants. It makes basic drinks taste like garbage. If WDW ever starts using then I guess I'll bring my own cans of coke and only drink water elsewhere, same if I ever stay at Cabana Bay.

Really? I love Coke Freestyle machines and wish there were a lot more of them. I would even consider paying for a resort mug if Disney got them. Of course, if Disney had them, the cost of a resort mug would probably be $50.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom