Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
What am I missing in this back story? They are both critical of Disney, or am I also missing extreme sarcasm?

I generally have enjoyed the dead guy who I strongly suspect is ex-WDI-FLA (remember like that other 'insider' here before my time) ... I think he is funny and pithy and, most of the time, I agree with him.

But he took a nasty shot at me the other night and attacked my cred, which just isn't kewl ... and is also a load of BS. So ... naturally, I did not turn the other cheek (any of the four I have!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Goddard was only officially with Disney for a short time. Majority of his/his various company's work was with other parks. He has not worked with Disney or Universal in a number of years.

That is true. But he did a lot of work for Disney ... regardless, though, there is a real problem at WDI with this and has been for a VERY long time (back to the WED days).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I've heard it's really difficult to get into the Polynesian Terrace and Diamond Horseshoe shows unless you stay on-site or speak Japanese. We will be staying on-site for a couple of nights next time, and since I suspect this is probably the only time we will ever stay on-site, I want to take advantage of being able to book through the hotel booking site once we get within 30 days of the reservation. Otherwise, we'd have to jump through the hoops you mention, and I just can't see it being worth that.

Disappointing to hear your reaction to the show and food. I could deal with it if either the food or the show were great and the other were subpar, but not both. Sarah is indifferent to these shows to begin with, but I've been pushing for them because this is probably literally the only opportunity we will have to do them. We still have a ton of time until we'll be back, but I wanted to start finding out info now, as it seems there is almost no information about these meals online. I guess I have more time to think about whether we ought to do one or both...

Your post makes me miss Tokyo even more. Envious that you got to spend 8 1/2 days there. (By the way, where else in Japan did you go?) I can't wait to be back at the two best Disney theme parks on the planet...

OK Bricker, when are you headed back? :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I wondered, when I read this, if Iger feels that the information is inflated or can't believe that its as bad as it might be, depending on what the info is saying. Either way, its probably not what he expected and that's why he's not trusting it.

I'm trying to figure out the entire picture here before I make any bold statements, but that is what I am getting.

It seems that Bob has been at WDW quite a bit more times of late than you'd know and he is doing a Michael Eisner approach and disguising himself and trying to hide and see what is going on ... this would mean a lot more if I found out he was doing this without Meg and Georgie and the various park VPs knowing about it. One voice strongly suggests it has been a result of the NGE/MM+ rollout. Another voice tells me that Bob has been doing this quite regularly for years now (although not his entire tenure) and is surprised that he isn't recognized more frequently.

Like I said, though, I just don't have enough facts to back any statement about it one way or the other.

But I am feeling a bit sad that he and I apparently came close enough to cross paths on my recent Spring Break visit and we missed each other. I am sure Bob would have loved to be 'exposed' by me and then have a nice long conversation about so many topics.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There's a bunch of Imagineers that are pedophiles?

I don't know how to respond to that ... what is a bunch? And that's a question that Disney needs to be asking itself.
Is there a problem at WDI? A culture where this type of behavior isn't dealt with or encouraged? Again, those are questions for Disney.

If you are asking me whether I think Disney has a problem with this issue, then the answer is ABSOLUTELY!

DisneyDad1977

I'm trying to figure out the entire picture here before I make any bold statements, but that is what I am getting.

It seems that Bob has been at WDW quite a bit more times of late than you'd know and he is doing a Michael Eisner approach and disguising himself and trying to hide and see what is going on ... this would mean a lot more if I found out he was doing this without Meg and Georgie and the various park VPs knowing about it. One voice strongly suggests it has been a result of the NGE/MM+ rollout. Another voice tells me that Bob has been doing this quite regularly for years now (although not his entire tenure) and is surprised that he isn't recognized more frequently.

Like I said, though, I just don't have enough facts to back any statement about it one way or the other.

But I am feeling a bit sad that he and I apparently came close enough to cross paths on my recent Spring Break visit and we missed each other. I am sure Bob would have loved to be 'exposed' by me and then have a nice long conversation about so many topics.
Didn't Bill Murray say something about "exposing ourselves" in Ghostbusters?

DisneyDad1977

Great to hear from you. Been meaning to drop an email, but this works for everyone here!

Did you venture beyond Tokyo at all or just around the city? I don't know that I'd do eight days at TDR, although I'd probably love that. I still think 4-5 days is the perfect amount IF it isn't crazy busy, which it wasn't for me.

Preach to the Spirit for he knows you speak the truth!

I just feel so bad for the fans who think the MK and EPCOT are as good as theme parks get. They have absolutely no clue what they are missing.

But I am also realistic. Most Americans can't afford a Tokyo trip. BUT ... most of the fans who are on forums like this talking about taking their 33rd trip to WDW (all staying on site, all dining at WDW etc), well, they can ... they just don't want to experience a foreign culture.

I am very much hoping to make it to Tokyo this fall. If I do it will be the last of four Disney resorts I see in 2014 ... what's that they say about 'leaving the best for last?'

Feel free to use this thread to spread as much love about TDR as you see fit. Seriously. Folks don't visit the foreign parks boards and I love talking about them.

I have wanted to do one as well (more Diamond Horseshoe for me), so I am a bit disappointed to hear your experience doing the Poly show. ... I have been told that the OLC basically views these shows as for the locals and sees no reason to make it easy (or even possible) for foreigners to book.

I have been told that if I want to go to one to just have one of my local friends book it on the Japanese website and that is, indeed, what I will do.

Matt is busy making Cedar Fair's parks higher caliber ... and he likely wants no part of Disney after the way he was treated during his tenure. ... As to the mentality, I say Disney helps foster it. From the ECVs and double wide strollers, which they absolutely could cut down the use of and make it tougher for those who use them to crowd control CMs who actually tell guests "NO' ... but I think the worst part is caused by Disney's greed. I think it causes people to feel entitled and greedy themselves because they are nickel and dimed to death.

Funny thing about Mansion and Pirates, I went on both multiple times on my little trip. Little to no waits for them at night as usual ... but 35-45 minute waits during the day (Small World too).

Spirit- you are spot on when you talk about how those who suddenly can stay at deluxes could go to Tokyo but they are afraid to leave the country. They are really afraid to leave their "Walmart comfort zone". How dare the people in Tokyo or Osaka or Kyoto not speak English fluently? Don't they know that the language gap is ruining our trip? Don't they realize that the crowds are ruining our vacation? Why don't the locals come back another time and let us enjoy ourselves? It is American arrogance showing through once again.

In Tokyo there are sacrifices that an American guest must make in order to experience a far superior product to WDW. Sacrifices I would be more than happy to make. I am fortunately not part of that deluxe crowd(more a moderate family by socio-economic class) and I am trying to convince my family that if we wait until 2016 and skip our 2015 WDW trip we could afford to go to TDS and TDL instead.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

WDWDad13

Just spoke with a friend who is quite good with numbers. He said MK on Easter Sunday was dead ... like never getting much beyond 35,000 folks dead.

That's simply because Easter weekend fell too late for most school spring breaks like in the recent past

WildcatDen

I have nothing but support for our military (if not the leadership that sends them into harm's way often for no good reason.)

And the harping is only in regard to the HUGE increase in jobs (terrorism can be really great for a company, if you are defense contractor, right? do you think anyone at high levels in that business isn't hoping for more bloodshed in Ukraine, so we won't slash budgets?) that has come about post-9/11.2

I do not want to completely derail your thread (shocking, right?) but Since I have worked where I am, our employee count has decreased and we just had another RIF take place. Your comment about the Ukraine may seem careless, but I see your point. There is evil in the world and the costs of defeating this continue to rise. To portray the Defense industry as money hungry leaches, only interested in self preservation is a stretch. Where there may some truth to it, the vast majority of people I know take pride in their jobs and what they are providing to the men and woman in uniform. For some, they were not able to serve their country as a warfighter. Their job is sometimes viewed as their opportunity to serve. Not questioning your patriotism at all. With that, I will respectfully stand down and go about my regularly scheduled banter. . .

On our trip to Universal last year, I really enjoyed the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Sure the new ride is amazing, but one of the best parts, to me, is the work done to capture the feel of Hogsmeade. That is one of the main reasons I am looking forward to Diagon Alley. Sure the rides will be great, but I really look forward to immersing myself in the 'experience'. With that thought in mind, I thoroughly enjoyed the new Fantasy Land. The Mermaid ride was OK but the land itself was great. Would have been better with the walls down around the Dwarves, but in general, I was very pleased with the environment they created.

WDWDad13

35000 on Easter is unheard of.

low crowds during this time aren't unheard of and we don't really know how accurate 35k is either...Touring Plans has the historical crowd levels during Easter Sunday in 2011 (which was also late that year away from spring break) at a level 3, and level 2 in 2012 which is both very low... so the crowds this past weekend weren't a surprise. Most are just comparing to last year's crowds which fell during most school's spring breaks

Easter Sunday
2011 (Apr. 24th) - crowd level 3 out of 10
2012 (Apr. 8th) - crowd level 2 out of 10
2013 (Mar. 31st) - crowd level 8 out of 10

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom