Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

TinkerBelle8878

Now ... why does it seem that Bob Iger doesn't trust the information his Parks and Resorts people have been giving him about WDW? Maybe Card Walker can explain the recent change in Bob's strategy and attitude before I place it out here on MAGIC.

I wondered, when I read this, if Iger feels that the information is inflated or can't believe that its as bad as it might be, depending on what the info is saying. Either way, its probably not what he expected and that's why he's not trusting it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My parents just got back from a week and a half in the parks. They are 'regulars' as in they go every couple years at least.. they do their homework, but aren't immersed (my father still calls it the Haunted House instead of Haunted Mansion..) nor particularly care about Disney when not at Disney. I look to them as a pretty balanced litmus test of things in the sense of "repeat, but not obsessed customers". They were last there roughly a year ago.

Their feedback after I talked to them after their trip? They liked FP+ and MDE app. And they were staying at shades of green so they didn't get in on the 60 day window either. They acknowledge they would rather have more than 3, and park hopping, but that wasn't enough to push them into the 'hate' column. They even said they rode TSMM more than they ever have... They didn't have trouble shifting things around, and were happy to play with the app on an iPad at night, and use their phones during the day in the parks.

What stood out to me was they were confused by Disney's lack of clear info on FP for Parades/Fireworks (I believe that is resort guest only still). They also mentioned at the Safari on multiple occasions they saw them only scanning one person in a party for FP+ entrance, or not scanning at all.

They even paid for MagicBands in the park... even tho I told them it really doesn't add anything for them. Yet they still said they really liked them and look forward to the future when they will do more.

This is consistent with several other groups I have chatted with... the vitriol against the program does not seem to be out there in the general population.

That is your experience and it is, of course, valid.

But my experience has been vastly different. I purposely decided to chat folks up at Disney's GF and Poly resorts and not give them one clue what my feelings were on MM+ and the results were decidedly negative.

The CMs working at said resorts also had issues with the 'new WDW normal' and they told stories of generally unhappy guests and CMs that could do little for them. And they brought up their own work issues with the system.

I had very positive experiences in dealing with the actual system. Although it also changed the way I planned days, somewhat (my little bout with illness didn't allow for me to try all I planned).

WDW1974

Original Poster
So ... who is talking smack about me tonight in the Twitverse? I just don't have the time or energy to look.

jlsHouston

I just want to get off topic here briefly and talk about the new Galaxy S5 which has a camera that even my pics come out professional quality...practically. We spent the weekend in Galveston and my girls were green eyed envious of this phone and were constantly grabbing it away from me to take selfies. It really is an awesome phone too.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am not like your parents, and I enjoyed MDE and FP+ as well. I also liked my bands.

I had other issues with WDW on my trip, like the fact they couldn't keep dining areas clean. And, that makes me upset, because, as they focus on these "high tech" solutions for issues that didn't exist, they ignore basics.

Very accurate ... I can't fathom a massive tech boondoggle (no matter if 98% of guests love it, they don't but that's not the point) when attractions are falling apart and tables at QSR seem to have a permanent level of 'sticky funk' on them and restrooms have issues and monorails are falling apart and filthy etc ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 Did you see this? http://variety.com/2014/film/news/three-more-sexual-abuse-lawsuits-filed-1201160168/

Ironically the story does tangentially involve the topic of Disney and theme parks.

Yes, I intended to get to this, but who knows when so now is the time ...

Gary Goddard started his career with WDW and WDI. Take a look at his FB page. He has all sorts of pics with twinks ... there is a culture at Imagineering and in Hollywood ... but it's the WDI part that has Disney Legal reading this thread (wave to the scary lawyers, MAGICal members!)

They really should be worried because, as we've seen in the past, things that get talked about here seem to wind up in real media circles (not the O-Sentinel).

Like I said, the only thing worse than the real WDI story coming out in terms of damage to the BRAND would be a domestic terror attack (especially at one of their resorts) or just a crazy with a gun shooting up a resort food court. And it's really just a matter of time. Imagineers have voracious appetites ... for young dudes ... sorta like a 500-pounder at Chef Mickey's.

BlueSkyDriveBy

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just looking at some comments on El Brigante's FB page and he's taking a bit of criticism as well as having his defenders. Here's one rebuttal he made to an fellow AP'er. The last line is what I find truly scary. I can only imagine how people would react if I, as a grown man, showed up to work tomorrow and told my co-workers that I waited in line to meet Anna and Elsa and "It was quite exciting!" Needless to say I think I'd have alot of lonely lunch breaks...

"You're assuming I was referring to today's FastPass+ situation. BUT this was the first time I had ever met Anna and Elsa in person. Before today, I'd only seen them in the parade. I never made it inside the Norway meet-and-greet. So I, in fact, have been waiting a very long time (as I said) for an opportunity to do so without a 3-4 hour queue. Since the movie came out, even. It was quite exciting!"

I do like that he says his site had nothing to do with Disney's response and that his pals at Celebration Place never intervened on his behalf ... which is all well and good except I know that isn't how it went down and that his Twitter is regularly monitored and as soon as he put his implicit threat out (imagine if he had fallen down on a cruise!), the CP team sprung into action to make sure Mrs. Ricky's Mealticket was taken care of.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So ... who is talking smack about me tonight in the Twitverse? I just don't have the time or energy to look.

After making my own 'disturbedDisney' list to watch this community for the last few days.. I get now why you have been so negative about twitter in general given these Disney 'fans' have been your primary exposure.

The signal to noise ratio in this crowd is atrocious combined with behavior that would unsavory for high school age kids - not grown adults. It's not even entertaining to follow and is actual work to stomach your way through just a few hours worth of tweets. This little 'neighborhood' of personalities is not unique, but certainly not the poster child of useful twitter interactivity. Its actually painful to even scroll through and while I certainly post a lot online, the tweets/day of some of these folks is worrisome. I would not be surprised if they tweet to someone in the same room...

bhg469

I just want to get off topic here briefly and talk about the new Galaxy S5 which has a camera that even my pics come out professional quality...practically. We spent the weekend in Galveston and my girls were green eyed envious of this phone and were constantly grabbing it away from me to take selfies. It really is an awesome phone too.
Posting from the very same phone now. I love the hardware but software wise it is soon loaded down with Samsung apps and features that it loses its androidness. Also minus huge points for coming with white headphones and charging cable. Yuck!!! Other than that it is light years better than any I-device.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I remember walking past that with my friend and saying hey if it's around 3 dollars well get one. But 10 to 20 dollars for a plastic bag full of helium. A PLASTIC BAG FILLED WITH HELIUM. And yet people buy them.

I have a Disney balloon in my kitchen from Dollar Tree that was purchased around February 15th. It still is about 85% good. For a dollar. ... anyone who buys their kid a $15-20 balloon instead of donating the damn money to a children's charity truly doesn't deserve the money. At that pricing, the only justification is insanity (or, perhaps, a child that just survived a bout of brain cancer or some life-threatening illness) ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom