Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Goofyernmost

Any more weird then buying and wearing clothes with these 'characters' on them? Or watching show with them performing on stage?

How about standing for 30+min to watch a parade full of them go by?
A lot of difference there, flynn. A shirt is a real object not a foam headed person pretending to be something that doesn't exist. Disney characters have the same reality as T-shirts with their images on them. Parades are more then characters. I'm not one of them, but, many people just love parades and the characters are a plus and exactly where they should be, not hand holding someone who just got out of their mom's basement and are living in a world of fantasy, not related to Disney entertainment. JMHO!

Captain Chaos

I never photograph kids
Normal people wouldn't... And Normal people wouldn't want strangers to take pics of their kids... I never snap a picture if someone kid is walking by...

But lifestyler bloggers have no integrity and they don't care... Everyone is fair game... And they don't care if they come off creepy... I mean, what does 74 call him Loveable Lou??? He shoves the mic in front of a CMs face for crying out loud... Let him try that with me, it will be either facing security or the mic will be shoved where the sun don't shine... Then again, Lou does talk about of his ...

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Normal people wouldn't... And Normal people wouldn't want strangers to take pics of their kids... I never snap a picture if someone kid is walking by...

But lifestyler bloggers have no integrity and they don't care... Everyone is fair game... And they don't care if they come off creepy... I mean, what does 74 call him Loveable Lou??? He shoves the mic in front of a CMs face for crying out loud... Let him try that with me, it will be either facing security or the mic will be shoved where the sun don't shine... Then again, Lu does talk about of his ...

But you realize I'm a photojournalist by Trade. I even avoid photographing kids for work. Just not

WDWFigment

I'm here, back in reality. I haven't hardly been on this site because it causes such depression after being at the best two Disney parks in the world for 8 days. Actually, 8 1/2. Our last full day in Tokyo we weren't planning on going to the parks, but even after 8 full days in the parks (and 5 in the city), we all wanted one last evening, so we picked up some starlight passes. That's when you know how great a product is... When after 8 full days, you're still begging for more.

If you can overlook the theming issues their Magic Kingdom has (and we EASILY could), those parks are just pure perfection. I sound like a broken record, but everything from the people to the maintenance to the food... Perfection. We thought it was even better than our first visit there in 2008. We found it crazy that at times we had to look for quite a while to find a trash can in the parks, yet there wasn't a speck of trash anywhere. Constant smiles on EVERYONE. Not just CM's, but guests. The parks were packed, and everyone was in a great mood. It was completely opposite of WDW when it's crowded. There, all you see are people complaining, pushing, shoving. NONE of that at TDL. It's fantastic. It really made it easy to accept the crowd levels and go with the flow. How wonderful it is that everyone SITS DOWN for the parades??? And how does one honestly enjoy the MSEP after having seen Dreamlights? How can you not see MSEP as tired, worn, and dated?

It was a great vacation that really allowed us to do a "deep dive" at the parks and explore every nook and cranny. I thought about sharing some thoughts here, but the reality is the Tokyo section of the boards is deader than the cemetery near my house. I didn't feel like shouting in an empty room. Those that have been there know how incredible it is, and those that haven't been NEED to.

@WDWFigment ... I saw on another board that you asked about the Polynesian Terrace. It was a BEAR for me to get us reservations. I tried everything, from going to GR (they wouldn't help!), to going to the concierge at the hotel (also wouldn't), to using google translate (which didn't work). I finally was able to get reservations made by joining the morning sprint at 8AM and heading straight there. I found a girl at the entrance that spoke fairly good english, and I explained I had tried all sorts of ways to make a reservation. She then pulled out her personal cell phone, and went through everything and made reservations for me for three days later (the first night with openings). Perfect example of going "above and beyond". Having said that... We were highly disappointed. We found plenty of food we really liked at the parks, but we found the food to be pretty bad for the dinner show, and not in any way geared toward Westerners at all. It was one of those meals where we weren't even sure what each item was, even though we had a menu right in front of us. And the show was alright. It was mostly just polynesian music with a handful of dancers, and the characters came out to dance with them for a few songs. The luau at WDW was worlds ahead of it, in our opinion, although we haven't been to the luau in a quite a few years either. The one high point was when they had the little kids come up on stage to teach them a dance. Our 5 year old still talks about that, even just yesterday. But beyond that, we didn't find it to be worth what it cost... Not at all. And we REALLY wanted to love it. Also, there are huge windows that normally overlook the jungle cruise which are currently covered up. Really took away from the "tropical" thing for us. Made the big room dark and closed in.

Since we've been back, it's been awfully hard to get excited to discuss WDW. Maybe the few changes they made to FP+ over the past couple weeks will help... But the problems are so much deeper reaching and depressing than a new technology. And I wonder, really, if there's any hope it CAN change, no matter who's in charge. I wonder if many of the problems are due to the culture of the country, and the "Nemo Seagull Mindset" (MINE! MINE! MINE!) that is so prevalent here. TDO could hire Matt Ouimet himself to pull a DL style rehab on the entire property, but you'll still have ECV's running into your ankles, people sneaking in front of you for a spot at a parade (even though you've been there for 30 minutes), dads hoisting little ones onto their shoulders right in front of you right when a show starts, Enterprise-class strollers, and a sense of entitlement that SHOULD be downright embarassing to people.

But hey... PoTC and HM have FP+, so it's all good, right? RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Thanks for the info. I've heard it's really difficult to get into the Polynesian Terrace and Diamond Horseshoe shows unless you stay on-site or speak Japanese. We will be staying on-site for a couple of nights next time, and since I suspect this is probably the only time we will ever stay on-site, I want to take advantage of being able to book through the hotel booking site once we get within 30 days of the reservation. Otherwise, we'd have to jump through the hoops you mention, and I just can't see it being worth that.

Disappointing to hear your reaction to the show and food. I could deal with it if either the food or the show were great and the other were subpar, but not both. Sarah is indifferent to these shows to begin with, but I've been pushing for them because this is probably literally the only opportunity we will have to do them. We still have a ton of time until we'll be back, but I wanted to start finding out info now, as it seems there is almost no information about these meals online. I guess I have more time to think about whether we ought to do one or both...

Your post makes me miss Tokyo even more. Envious that you got to spend 8 1/2 days there. (By the way, where else in Japan did you go?) I can't wait to be back at the two best Disney theme parks on the planet...

Cesar R M

Same. One photo...and it was last month when I was at Disneyland. They have a "Thor: Treasures of Asgard" exhibit in Tomorrowland Innoventions, and I wanted to check it out since I'm a fan of the films.

So, a bunch of us went into this enclosed room with movie paraphernalia, then all of a sudden it filled with smoke and a door opened. On the other side of the door was Thor's throne room, and Thor himself. A meet and greet. Oops.

He told me to give my best "hero pose" so I did a Hulk Hogan flex and then shambled off.
But.. did you make THE HULKSTER PROUD??

Also, how many adults vs children were there during the "meet and greet" reveal?

No idea... Received a text today saying big announcement Wednesday.. I figured I'd ask on here cause if anyone would know, someone on here would... I kind of wrote it off as bad information about there being an announcement.. Also, Wednesday is the 23rd, not the 22nd... Unless the 23rd starts softs for the ride? And that is what my friend meant? But he never referenced 7D, just said big announcement Wednesday...

More than likely misinformation from my friend to me... Esp if no one here knows anything about it...

They big announcement is of an upcoming announcement of an announcement.. isnt it great? XD
I just hope its not another meet & greet.
But can you imagine if they finally give the GO AHEAD to Starwars lands at DHS including the "first stone" ?

Cesar R M

First a creepy janitor, now a dead guy. I knew there was a reason I never opened a twitter account.
Could be worse, could be one of these kids who claimed in twitter to be "Ahmed" or "Mohammed" and then claim they will set a bomb in an Airliner.

Ok, one more.
Ha ha, good one!
Reminds me when some bloggers really think they are celebrities and everyone should do their demands.
I've seen guys who demand "donations" of money as well.. yikes!

Astro Blaster

But.. did you make THE HULKSTER PROUD??

Also, how many adults vs children were there during the "meet and greet" reveal?

They big announcement is of an upcoming announcement of an announcement.. isnt it great? XD
I just hope its not another meet & greet.
But can you imagine if they finally give the GO AHEAD to Starwars lands at DHS including the "first stone" ?
I made all the 'maniacs proud, brother.

Also, the Thor meet and greet was mostly adults. Maybe everyone was also confused about what it actually was, or maybe they all really wanted a picture with Thor. This 50ish year old dude definitely was very excited that he got to attempt to lift Mjolnir (that's the hammer...and he couldn't lift it).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom