Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm tired of it as well.

And I worry that UNI will start realizing it can cut corners and get away with it because it now has strong BRAND advocates in the fan community. That is one way, we absolutely do not want UNI aping Disney.

I worry about it too, but not as much as Disney....because, from what I can tell so far, while they may lower the budget on some of their new attractions, it seems that they're potentially spreading the savings to make more attractions, so quantity over quality in some respects?

As always, I could be wrong.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So driving down I-4 today I noticed a billboard for MyMagic+.

"Reserve your ride in advance!"

Seriously. Now they're treating it like its an attraction? Made me sick.

They are all over O-Town and Central FL. ... But remember, it was only what ... two years ago? ... when Disney fanbois were calling NGE the Potter Swatter and talking about how Disney was revolutionizing the theme park business again.

Well, it's here ... and they didn't ... and they're not ... even if there's stuff hidden in the parks that can (possibly, maybe ... one day) be able to interact with the Bands. A CM pal pointed a few out to me last week and they synch with other things I've been told. None of it excites me anymore than when I posted here 3-4 years ago about characters in hotel mirrors saying goodnight to children by name.

As for the Uni stuff...I too am about done with the screen stuff. While I love the place and what they're doing, after Kong I hope there's a return to something more set and AA based. You can only do so much with 3-D and screens nowdays.

I don't see it happening and I guess that was my frustration (as well as my UNI friend's) ... they are going to ride big, impressive, but screen dependent attractions for the foreseeable future. And for people, including those prone to motion sickness, it makes UNI a very unwelcoming resort to visit.

Before they replaced the projectors on Forbidden Journey early last summer, I was about to be someone who could only ride FJ once without becoming ill.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Brand advocacy is silly, but isn't it fair to say that screens are the way of the future in theme park attractions?

Part of it, surely. But I'd hate to see it become the every ride deal because there really is only so much you can do with the tech.

It reminds me of the physical models vs. CGI debate -- neither is inherently positive or negative. It just depends how they're used.

You seem disappointed in Transformers. I thought it was a fantastic spin-off of the Spidey ride system. It's much faster paced, the experience is one-of-a-kind and would be impossible to replicate with physical sets. Would multiple AA Transformers in the ride make it better? I don't know -- maybe if they moved as fluidly as "real" life-size robots would and if they were maintained.

If the Gringotts ride is as good as Transformers, I think it's a success. Not to mention the queue and land surrounding the ride will apparently be very impressive.

I realized on this visit, after MANY rides on Transformers since last summer, that I am somewhat disappointed in it. Maybe I wouldn't have been if I hadn't experienced Spidey back in '99. But this to me is more of the same, with IP I have no interest in, and seems to be just one scene of violent explosions after another. I sorta get what the storyline of the attraction is, but really have little idea what is happening. It's loud and repetitive.

Sure, it's cool tech. Sure, it's exciting. But it doesn't take me to any level that Spidey didn't 15 years ago.

The difference between Universal's screens and Disney's screens is ambition. Universal has pioneered new ways to use screens to create unique theme park experiences (Forbidden Journey, Spidey, Transformers, even T2). Disney's use of screens seems somewhat simplistic by contrast.

I don't fully agree. Star Tours 2.0 finally does something different with screens, but other than that, I do agree.

I just feel too many UNI attractions are feeling too similar. Imagine if every Disney attraction was a slow-moving boat ride. Or if every UNI attraction was a rolley coaster ride system.

Again, I don't want to sound too negative and I need to run shortly ... but I am sorta sounding a 'I hope all the great attractions UNI is planning for FL in the next five years aren't simply variations on what they've been doing because while FJ is groundbreaking ... four more of the same thing won't be.'

bubbles1812

No. I recall that right after the buyout, MK had the stuff (at least MSUSA and Tomorrowland did). Over the last 2-3 years, I have looked all over property and the only place I find the stuff is DD.

At DLP in January, they had ONE Marvel item at the resort that I could find: a Spidey comic book iPad cover. One version. One item.

I keep hearing how big Marvel merchandise is, so I am wondering why exactly isn't it available widely at WDW?
Your guess is as good as mine... I was just at Panera yesterday and saw one kid with an Avengers shirt on, another with the Captain's shield on his shirt. My neighbor's kids run around with Thor shields and swords. All that is purely anecdotal of course, but it's pretty obvious it sells. It doesn't seem like superhero merchandise demand has done anything but risen from back when my brother was little, and I swear he owned every single Batman action figure Toys R' Us offered. So honestly why not sell it in the parks?? It makes sense from a business perspective to me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm assuming you're referring to my comments over in the Cat Cora thread. While it's still the best of the UO-owned or operated restaurants, that's almost by default. The menu has been dumbed down and is not as creative or forward-focused as it once was. There are as many sandwiches as entrees, and those sandwiches are served with the same Production Kitchen potato salad that's served everywhere on property. The deserts come from the Central Bakery and no longer the in-house pastry cook.

No. I was talking in general. I don't even recall whether I read your comments.

But the meal was one of the best of the trip and the menu had been freshened since my last visit (sometime last year, not sure when). I had meatloaf for the first time ever and it was great. Added a salad (a smaller version of the entree spinach salad) that Disney would have charged $14 for for $2.99 before the TM discount. No one had a sandwich, so I can't comment about the potato salad. And we didn't have desserts saving room for Happy Hour drinking at Jimmy Buffet's.

But I see no drop-off in quality whatsoever based on our experience. It is the best value theme park dining experience in O-Town.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I remember when this came out...the fact that they didn't realize they were being openly mocked by "Mya Space" was pretty funny. While I'm sure that the majority of them are perfectly nice people, they often come off as socially inept and you wonder how many of them will survive in the real world, outside of the Disney fantasy bubble they have immersed themselves in. Sadly, these events may end up being the highlights of their lives. And God help the bearded one in green who was clearly drunk after 2 beverages. We all have hobbies but the fact that some have quit their good jobs and moved to Florida so they can be closer to the parks is a bit scary...but maybe that's just me. Not something I would have ever considered doing.

Most of these folks can't make it in the real world and likely had no real jobs to quit.

Orlando has in the last 10-15 years become full of sad, lonely, damaged people who think living close to WDW will give them a life when all it does is prevent them from having one. I'd love to know the ratio of mentally ill folks under 40 in O-Town versus NYC, Seattle, Omaha and Atlanta.

Mickey_777

I have always had large distaste of screen use in attractions, Regardless of which company uses them. I am not a fan of Soarin'...never was...because to me its cheap. (my opinion that I'm sure will get argued against..so be it). Its why that even tho I enjoyed potter, I didn't think it was THAT impressive.

That's how I felt when I rode it the first time. Way too many screens for my taste. And the image quality on said screens was sub par at best. Heck, Spiderman offers a superior experience IMO. Potterland as a whole is superb but Indy out at Disneyland was the last attraction that blew me away. It has it all. RSR is also very good but no Indy if you ask me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You need to visit Busch gardens Williamsburg. It's a wonderful, beautiful park that has an amazing assortment of things to do. The coasters are some of the best in the world and are very enjoyable, of course if you are into that kind of thing. Definitely one of my favorite theme parks to visit outside of WDW.

I finally made it there two years ago. Loved it!

Snowflake82

No, the freestyle machines use a different delivery and syrup model. They don't taste the same as a classic fountain mix. I've never experienced any cross-contamination issues (I think that is more placebo effect IMO) but even plain coke from them is not as good IMO.

I agree that the regular flavors taste different from the freestyle machines, but I always assumed that it was due to cross contamination. I think there's someone around, maybe @englanddg that has industry insight on this?

DougK

And that report was from PhotoDave aboard the MAGICCopter ... now, try the new Bacon Clubhouse sandwiches at Central Florida McDonald's for a limited time, try both cheeseburger and chicken. Only at McD's.

Oops, sorry!:D

Spirit, you have posted lots of stuff over the years, but this made me laugh out loud!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I agree that the regular flavors taste different from the freestyle machines, but I always assumed that it was due to cross contamination. I think there's someone around, maybe @englanddg that has industry insight on this?
Not so much contamination from flavour syrups.

The syrup used for soda flavours in the freestyle machines is a different formula than the ones used in normal BIB setups or in the bottling plants.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've had quite a few interactions via Twitter with Sean over the past couple of years. Seems like a genuinely nice guy other than his love for the Chicago Blackhawks. Clearly you recognize that you might rub some people the wrong way at times and while I can't speak for him, the posting of his or anyone else's Twitter comments did not sit well with alot of folks (both here and in Twitterverse). Someone else here commented that they should come here to defend themselves versus someone like him venting on Twitter...the same could probably be said about posting their Tweets and maybe that interaction should have been handled via Twitter only. Just my 2 cents, not that anyone really gives a carp.

Moi?!?! Rub people the wrong way?!?!

What about the fact that most folks rub me the wrong way every day of my life? Do you hear me whining about it here? No. Because I understand humanity today.

I never posted a Tweet of his and I haven't posted anyone's here for quite a while as it was taking way too much time, which I had because of an extended illness this spring, unfortunately. Ultimately, though, I know enough about human nature and those personality types that would Tweet that stuff to begin with that no one was really all that upset. I wasn't even making fun of them. Just taking comments from the fan community (some that I agreed with and loved, others that I didn't, some that were intentionally funny, others unintentionally so). People that Tweet like these folks do like ATTENTION and EXPOSURE. So, no, I don't believe for a second that anyone was truly hurt by having a tweet dropped in a post here.

I do think if people are going to have strong disagreements with my comments, then they should be adult enough to drop in here and post.

I don't know what AngrySean's issue is ... and I always got along fine with ParkscopeSean (maybe he thinks he's royalty now because he's visited TDR?), I have no idea what his issues are, but Tweeting all day from work isn't the smartest thing. Just my two cents. He was on here and left about four years ago when about 15 of the youngsters all got into a urinating match with MAGICal Steve ... him, Travis, Captain Michael, Epcot Explorer, WDWVacationer and another few I can't even remember.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What is this "middle class" that you speak of? I only know of such concepts from foreign lands like Japan and Singapore. Don't see much of that here in Florida. Here we just have "rich" and "poor"

Nah, we still have some upper middle class folks left. The closer to the bottom you are, the further you fell after the 2008 collapse.

And there are thriving middle classes in Europe as well ... and a growing one in China.

Here ... well, there's a reason FOX loves to yell about Class Warfare ... because we are becoming a nation of elites and slaves.

RSoxNo1

A resort at the entrance with its own private entryway, absolutely would. Not that I want to see it happen. But Disney is going to add DVCs until they have to turn Cindy's place into one. That is the business model. That is the vision for the future.

But is someone going to tell me what my good friend George Kalogridis told CMs today? A rumor I've heard involves an AP hard ticket event at DAK.
Does it involve eating one of the older tigers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom