Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Cesar R M

Unrelated.... Apparently the "Angry Disney Nerd" Sean (of Suburban Chicago) is screencapping our posts and putting them on his twitter feed. Just so you kids are aware, everything we say is being watched by the overly obsessed.
Oh, this happens when the "little precious" individuals do not get what they want. I've seen that behavior many times.
I think the correct internet therm is called "circle j***k".
It pretty much revolves to: "When someone who is "offended" couldn't win an argument..or gets banned.. takes the argument into to his controlled land where he can do one-side arguments, ask for support from their friends and generally cherrypick without the fear of being proven wrong".

To resume, its a technique used to get support in a controlled place when the person was unable to prove his point as true and valid in a separate uncontrolled place.

It's more about colab advertising. Shared costs to get a common objective - eyeballs.

Think about it.. ignoring the movie in theaters.. do you think that company sat down and said "you know what we really need... the muppets in our commerical". It's a 'push' from Disney's side to get the characters into those ads.
So, would you say that both companies paid part of the development of the ads?
sort of "we both win" kind of way?

tirian

Is there any plans for a Marvel store in the revamped DS? Seems to me to be a no brainer and I don't see how it would be a violation of the agreement with Universal if it was just a store selling merchandise.
The merchandise doesn't violate anything with Universal; it just reminds guests that there's a Marvel land where Harry Potter lives. Marvel also doesn't really mesh well with traditional Disney Park ambiance.

There are plans for multiple Disney stores selling Marvel. D-Street is already predominantly Marvel and Star Wars stuff. But there won't be a Marvel store.

jlsHouston

Yes. That was coming in a future post. I don't like it.

I do like Coke Freestyle, although that seems to be a love it/hate it topic amongst soda drinkers. I was at an LBV quick serve location that had one last week and it was so nice to start with some vanilla ginger ale and end with a Cherry Vanilla Coke.

I love those machines. I hate Rapid Refill.

Cesar R M

its trending on twitter....bleh :banghead:
Well, the more we talk about it, the more it might trend ;)
You could call it "Guerrilla advertisement" to incite a trend.

That type of brand advocacy (whether it be Uni or Disney) makes me want to walk away from this town. I detest fanbois in general, no matter what theyre rooting for.
Unfortunately, Fanboys are there to stay.. if they really disappeared.. around 95% of the revenue of sports would be gone to the drain in seconds.

I can easily see why someone in creative might be a little frustrated at the overuse of screen technology. In my limited interaction at Universal, my mind already compartmentalizes it as "the Roller Coaster and Screen" park (not that there's anything wrong with that). Adding another well-done yet screen-intensive ride plays into that narrative. Creative folks likely want people to see their creative vision as a whole, and not be able to pigeon-holed into a category.
Honestly, the screen thing might be a similar phase of the past.. 80's and 90's.. where everything was animatronics and robotics.
They are now overrelying on screens.. and Pretty sure this will stay until the "next tech" is developed (something akin of 3d holograms or transparent screens)

Yeah, I have no clue who that 'nice, well-adjusted 30-something' dude is or what his problem is. But anger management might be one if you call yourself 'Angry Disney Nerd' ...

I only recall him because he Tweeted some disparaging crap about me because he didn't like the fact I know some of the folks who worked on Lost.

I wonder what he thinks of the fact I know Michael Eisner and ... even ... gulp ... Georgie K.
I think its a cheap take on one of the most famous reviewers of games in youtube.com .. called "ANGRY JOE".

Also, if you told someone randomly that you did that.. they would blast you as a fraud.
Remember we've had our doze of "insiders" who were fraudulent. Some people might not accept your comments until they know you and your long long credentials.

Couldn't you argue that many of us that post here on a regular basis would be characterized as "overly obsessed" by the average Disney fan? I know that I've been called that many times by co-workers because I've had a DL AP for 12+ years and visited more times in a year (with my family), more than they will ever visit in their lifetime. Of course, Disneyland is just for kids...at least that's what they tell me.
I dont think it is "obsessed".
If we were Obsessed, all our lives would be revolving around disney.
like listening to songs, having your entire house decorated, throw disney quotes left and right.. act like a silly fanboy when someone mentions anything disney..etc..etc..
In my point of view they are sort of envious for going too many times to Disney Land. (and probably they never went, thus they do not know how the parks are)

ryguy

" and crotchety ... well, my special friend 'Angie M' would most definitely agree with that. I love being crotchety ...it is one of my things."

Funny stuff right there.

Cesar R M

Your guess is as good as mine... I was just at Panera yesterday and saw one kid with an Avengers shirt on, another with the Captain's shield on his shirt. My neighbor's kids run around with Thor shields and swords. All that is purely anecdotal of course, but it's pretty obvious it sells. It doesn't seem like superhero merchandise demand has done anything but risen from back when my brother was little, and I swear he owned every single Batman action figure Toys R' Us offered. So honestly why not sell it in the parks?? It makes sense from a business perspective to me.

Just wondering, dont these kids get these merchandise from supermarkets and normal everyday stores?

Sean ‏@Parkscope_Sean 36m
I’ve just been informed I’m jealous of a sad, crotchety middle-aged man who spends his time trolling people on a Disney form. Ha!

Ah, so he's been informed (because none of the Twits read here, they have minions who simply report every word of every conversation to them ... yeah, sure.) as to his jealousy, well, only he knows.

But he is right about a few things: I am sad (the world isn't a good place and gets worse by the day ... you just need to look beyond theme parks) and crotchety ... well, my special friend 'Angie M' would most definitely agree with that. I love being crotchety ...it is one of my things.

As to trolling, if placing out honest, thought provoking and strong opinions as well as news and facts about Disney, UNI and the media/entertainment business for people to discuss is trolling then I am guilty. But that's not what it is.

My advice to Sean would be to get whatever he has stuck up his out of it and stop focusing on me unless he'd like to contact me in which case he is free to get my email address from fellow Lifestyler @EPCOT Explorer ... or just his podcast co-host, our old pal Captain Michael.
I honestly never imagined your post as trolling, they have their doze of irony but not outright trolling for the sake of trolling.
I think the person is gettig desesperate.
Besides, many people throw the therm "TROLL" for something as simple as "having a different opinion" they dont like

Please! I cringe every time someone mentions a 5th gate. We dont even have enough attractions for the 4 gates we have.
I agree with this. I think @Nubs70 was trying to say something along the lines of "if you build it they will come". Build more rides. It doesn't need to be a 5th gate, just build more in the 4 parks you have. Keep the rides you have operating and well maintained. That will draw more interest and more guests for your hotels which will be full again. Then build more hotels if there is real demand. Continuing to build more hotel rooms that you then have to discount is a broken business model. Then again so was airing Who Wants to be a millionaire 5 nights a week and it didn't stop Disney;)

I think his idea was more to spread the crowds, not to shove more crowds in the same 4 parks.
MK is bursting at its seams.. so unless they rise the mainstreet buildings, move the buildings to the sides to make a wider main street.. and add more stuff to make the movement better.. it wont take more people.

Plus not many people like the "crowded parks" feeling.

also, I humble apologize for my reply barrage!

doctornick

I think his idea was more to spread the crowds, not to shove more crowds in the same 4 parks.
MK is bursting at its seams.. so unless they rise the mainstreet buildings, move the buildings to the sides to make a wider main street.. and add more stuff to make the movement better.. it wont take more people.

Plus not many people like the "crowded parks" feeling.

MK certainly doesn't need more people. But Epcot and DAK have a lot of room and could accommodate higher crowds fairly well, I would think (maybe not on special occasions like NYE at Epcot but in general). Avatar and the new FOTLK area in Africa will actually expand the "onstage" land at DAK a bit and help with traffic flow by providing a path on the west side of the park. Epcot probably would benefit from spreading attractions around more, like having some actual rides on the west side of the WS. And putting something back in the WOL building would help too.

DHS can get more crowded, so hopefully any additions will expand the onstage areas, as well as make more of the park walkable (e.g. replacing LMA/Backlot with a "land" that can be walked around would help to disperse crowds). Personally, I also think DHS would really benefit from a path between Animation Courtyard and RNR -- Sunset can get pretty crowded at times and an escape valve path would be nice.

culturenthrills

No. I recall that right after the buyout, MK had the stuff (at least MSUSA and Tomorrowland did). Over the last 2-3 years, I have looked all over property and the only place I find the stuff is DD.

At DLP in January, they had ONE Marvel item at the resort that I could find: a Spidey comic book iPad cover. One version. One item.

I keep hearing how big Marvel merchandise is, so I am wondering why exactly isn't it available widely at WDW?

Because it wasn't selling. The Merchandise dept failed to realize people can buy Marvel stuff everywhere and way cheaper. A lot of it ended up at the outlets.

StageFrenzy

MK certainly doesn't need more people. But Epcot and DAK have a lot of room and could accommodate higher crowds fairly well, I would think (maybe not on special occasions like NYE at Epcot but in general). Avatar and the new FOTLK area in Africa will actually expand the "onstage" land at DAK a bit and help with traffic flow by providing a path on the west side of the park. Epcot probably would benefit from spreading attractions around more, like having some actual rides on the west side of the WS. And putting something back in the WOL building would help too.

DHS can get more crowded, so hopefully any additions will expand the onstage areas, as well as make more of the park walkable (e.g. replacing LMA/Backlot with a "land" that can be walked around would help to disperse crowds). Personally, I also think DHS would really benefit from a path between Animation Courtyard and RNR -- Sunset can get pretty crowded at times and an escape valve path would be nice.

I've thought this for years, another option would be to close off the current RnR entrance and re-orient towards animation courtyard. That option is kinda counter productive though

MerlinTheGoat

I'm still to this day much more impressed with animatronics and physical show scenes than projections, even really old rides with physical scenes still inspire awe in me today (provided they're maintained properly). There's a place for screens in attractions as well but I think their best usage is still in a more conservative manner applied to backgrounds of physical show scenes (backgrounds that would be either blank or painted flat walls anyways), with the physical elements taking the forefront of the scene. I'll bring up the fantastic psychedelic projected effects applied to the sky backdrop in the beginning of the original Imagination ride. The projection effects were used to enhance the moving backdrop behind the physical Dreamfinder/Figment figures and their ship (there were some other nice projection effects applied in a tasteful but conservative manner to this ride such as the gorgeous giant painting Dreamfinder was creating or even a couple of videos in other scenes to complement the physical elements). I also have absolutely no issue with the digital mapping effects being applied to more and more Disneyland rides such as Snow White and Big Thunder, they look fantastic and just enhance the physical elements already present (they're generally used to plus elements that were already stationary).

I'm a huge fan of practical effects whenever possible in movies as well. I like seeing practical effects in movies and traveling through physical sets and figures in rides, those end results feel more satisfying than seeing video screens as a main ride component or an all CGI movie (most CGI just doesn't look right or nearly as good as practical effects, even with the most cutting edge computer technology such as Avatar and whatnot). Obviously there are certain things that animatronics have difficulty doing compared to video, but sometimes a simpler effect is more effective and looks better anyways.

Last edited:

TalkingHead

For years, I've been alarmed at how many $7/hour CPs would go to the guillotine for a Hidden Mickey.

We all love Disney entertainment too, but there's a point where fondness becomes a psychological condition.

That reminds me of an Attractions CM who was living in Tampa and commuting to WDW to work for $7/hr. Not even sure she was FT. I mean, what's the point? You're not making any money when you factor in gas/car maintenance.

You get free tickets, I guess.

And, oh, if you're a Disney fanatic like she was, Mickey Mouse signs your checks, which aren't staying in your bank account. So that's a nice perk.

jt04

As usual it descended into a food fight between the twitter and the magic. Though it started with so much potential. :arghh:

Never thought I would see poor EE thrown under the bus though. :grumpy:

bubbles1812

Just wondering, dont these kids get these merchandise from supermarkets and normal everyday stores?
Of course they do... Same way I can get Disney merchandise at normal everyday stores. And yet it doesn't seem to stop people from buying stuff in the parks. That merchandise is hardly exclusive. The main point was addressing why Disney doesn't sell Marvel merchandise in their parks when it would most likely be a good revenue generator. Though I will say, I don't necessarily think it belongs at the Disney parks. I don't mind that it isn't there and as @tirian pointed out, it's not like there are attractions that are Marvel related at WDW. But from a business perspective, it makes some sense to me to sell it in the parks given Marvel's popularity.

Last edited:

R W B

But you can just get "plain" Coke from a Freestyle machine as well. You don't have to add in extra flavors, it's just an option. And if you get just plain Coke (or Sprite, Diet Coke, whatever), it is dispensed exactly the same as any other soda machine where the carbonated water and syrup get mixed.
Correct but the difference is, with a regular machine each soda has its own hose piping, on the freestyle, it all comes out the same hose so if someone before me had poweraid and I come up for a coke, I know have poweraid flavored coke. I even just run water first now to flush out the system but I can still taste other flavors mixed in with my coke. I have a problem, I'm a coke addict, I can tell the difference between the good mix and bad mixes lol.

EpcoTim

Swing low sweet chariot.

Comin' forth to carry me home...

image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom