Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
When you checked out Cabana Bay, did you notice that they have their version of RapidFill, too (supposedly also including Coke Freestyle)? How much are the paper cups there? :greedy:

Yes. That was coming in a future post. I don't like it.

I do like Coke Freestyle, although that seems to be a love it/hate it topic amongst soda drinkers. I was at an LBV quick serve location that had one last week and it was so nice to start with some vanilla ginger ale and end with a Cherry Vanilla Coke.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But you can just get "plain" Coke from a Freestyle machine as well. You don't have to add in extra flavors, it's just an option. And if you get just plain Coke (or Sprite, Diet Coke, whatever), it is dispensed exactly the same as any other soda machine where the carbonated water and syrup get mixed.

No, the freestyle machines use a different delivery and syrup model. They don't taste the same as a classic fountain mix. I've never experienced any cross-contamination issues (I think that is more placebo effect IMO) but even plain coke from them is not as good IMO.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Unrelated.... Apparently the "Angry Disney Nerd" Sean (of Suburban Chicago) is screencapping our posts and putting them on his twitter feed. Just so you kids are aware, everything we say is being watched by the overly obsessed.

Yeah, I have no clue who that 'nice, well-adjusted 30-something' dude is or what his problem is. But anger management might be one if you call yourself 'Angry Disney Nerd' ...

I only recall him because he Tweeted some disparaging crap about me because he didn't like the fact I know some of the folks who worked on Lost.

I wonder what he thinks of the fact I know Michael Eisner and ... even ... gulp ... Georgie K.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's more about colab advertising. Shared costs to get a common objective - eyeballs.

Think about it.. ignoring the movie in theaters.. do you think that company sat down and said "you know what we really need... the muppets in our commerical". It's a 'push' from Disney's side to get the characters into those ads.

It goes both ways and is part of a larger cross promo package for the films. For instance, with Subway not only were they in commercials and in the stores (can't recall how since I have only been to Subway once this spring), but Fozzie had a sandwich and drink from the place in the film.

Goofywilliam

I missed EPCOT. And I am not happy about it.

But the more time I spend in the Orlando parks, the less I want to. Even UNI, I'm so ready for Diagon Alley because I've just done everything enough. There are parks around the country, around the globe, that I want to spend time in ... but O-Town is more to spend time with friends and family at this point.
You need to visit Busch gardens Williamsburg. It's a wonderful, beautiful park that has an amazing assortment of things to do. The coasters are some of the best in the world and are very enjoyable, of course if you are into that kind of thing. Definitely one of my favorite theme parks to visit outside of WDW.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Really? I love Coke Freestyle machines and wish there were a lot more of them. I would even consider paying for a resort mug if Disney got them. Of course, if Disney had them, the cost of a resort mug would probably be $50.

Much like everyone's beloved iPhones, I think the machines went live before the bugs were worked out and often times I have issues with them.

But when they are working, I love them.

Still, so many people are soooo boring ... give them 100-plus choices and they'll get ... a ... a Diet Coke.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think it will sell. It's impossible to get a DVC room at BCV or BWV during F&W (especially on the weekends). Now if they follow through with the rumor and have F&W twice a year it will cover 1/3 of the calendar with the other 2/3 being summer, holidays and spring break. It could have a negative impact on the resale value of BWV but Disney doesn't care about that.

@WDW1974 is the EPCOT DVC going in the parking lot or is there still a plan out there to build behind the countries?

It wouldn't be behind the countries as that plan was way too pricey and problematic.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If being white, upper middle class and obsessed with an entertainment company isnt the ultimate FirstWorldProblem, I'm not sure what is....

I don't know that the majority of folks here or in the Disney Twitverse are what I would term upper middle class. A great deal are not middle class at all.

Stevek

Yeah, I have no clue who that 'nice, well-adjusted 30-something' dude is or what his problem is. But anger management might be one if you call yourself 'Angry Disney Nerd' ...

I've had quite a few interactions via Twitter with Sean over the past couple of years. Seems like a genuinely nice guy other than his love for the Chicago Blackhawks. Clearly you recognize that you might rub some people the wrong way at times and while I can't speak for him, the posting of his or anyone else's Twitter comments did not sit well with alot of folks (both here and in Twitterverse). Someone else here commented that they should come here to defend themselves versus someone like him venting on Twitter...the same could probably be said about posting their Tweets and maybe that interaction should have been handled via Twitter only. Just my 2 cents, not that anyone really gives a carp.

pheneix

I don't know that the majority of folks here or in the Disney Twitverse are what I would term upper middle class. A great deal are not middle class at all.

What is this "middle class" that you speak of? I only know of such concepts from foreign lands like Japan and Singapore. Don't see much of that here in Florida. Here we just have "rich" and "poor"

WDW1974

Original Poster
If you haven't already lost all faith in humanity...

#disneysmmoms

All comped. All that money could have gone elsewhere...

Hey, it keeps Gary Buchanan employed ... funny how Laura lost her job and he was able to move onto that 'lucrative' (only by CP standards) group. You should read his Tweets ... lots of Moms love him. Shocking.

Stevek

Unrelated.... Apparently the "Angry Disney Nerd" Sean (of Suburban Chicago) is screencapping our posts and putting them on his twitter feed. Just so you kids are aware, everything we say is being watched by the overly obsessed.

Couldn't you argue that many of us that post here on a regular basis would be characterized as "overly obsessed" by the average Disney fan? I know that I've been called that many times by co-workers because I've had a DL AP for 12+ years and visited more times in a year (with my family), more than they will ever visit in their lifetime. Of course, Disneyland is just for kids...at least that's what they tell me.

PhotoDave219

Couldn't you argue that many of us that post here on a regular basis would be characterized as "overly obsessed" by the average Disney fan? I know that I've been called that many times by co-workers because I've had a DL AP for 12+ years and visited more times in a year (with my family), more than they will ever visit in their lifetime. Of course, Disneyland is just for kids...at least that's what they tell me.

I could if i cared enough to argue.

Stevek

I can tell you that I'm firmly planted in the middle/middle upper (i'm the classic so cal soccer dad, wife, 2 kids, minivan-hers, nice house in the suburbs). Message boards and Twitter (both of which I post to infrequently) are an occasional diversion/relief from 20+ years from the daily grind of corporate America. Disney, while I love the parks, is a very small portion of what I experience or care about in life. As I've posted before, there is so much out there that the "overly obsessed" (see previous meet up video posted in this thread) will never experience as they are afraid they will miss something important at Disney if they dare step out of the bubble. Fear of missing a parks blog meet up must be overwhelming at times. While my family and I have had some great Disney based experiences, the best have been outside of Disney and will continue to be non-Disney for years to come.

WDW1974

Original Poster
In AngryDisneyNerd's defense, he's one of the more level-headed Disney Tweeters out there, and one of the better writers, too (at least when it comes to <140 character posts, an artform akin to Hemingway's 6-word novel).

He posted one message that I saw, one in which the Spirit was clearly being intentionally antagonistic.

I'm not familiar with him beyond him basically calling me a liar on Twitter quite a while ago (a year and a half maybe?) I am MANY things, a liar isn't one.

And what he posted I was not trying to be ''intentionally antagonistic'' at all. I was offering a very educated and rational opinion that I knew many folks wouldn't like. But I believe it to be true. The clientele has changed largely at WDW resorts and folks who are Walmart shoppers never could afford the CBR (back when it was $64 a night), so how those folks can now (in an era where I just paid $4.32 a gallon to fill up -- so distasteful that I just put $40 in and left the tank a quarter empty) afford to stay at the Disney Deluxe resorts can't be they all won PowerBall.

And government assistance checks only go so far. ... But since 9/11, the military industrial complex has grown hugely, as has spying on Americans. Those jobs are very well paying. So, many folks who may have been making $30K at best 15 years ago, may well be making $230,000 now ... I know this can be hot button and all. But Americans are not doing well and this idea that folks who look like they just climbed off the Honey Boo Boo express suddenly affording $500 a night accommodations or even $250 a night just isn't rational by any other way I can think of.

If someone has another idea, including AngryNerdSean, they are welcome to post them here,

More interesting to me are the Universal fanbois angry that this thread hints Diagon Alley may be great but not the greatest thing every built in the history of mankind.

Yeah. I honestly didn't expect to get anger from simply stating a view (and a view from the inside).

I have figured out that people want me to be honest and blunt when they agree with me, but it's a whole different story when they don't like what I have to say.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That type of brand advocacy (whether it be Uni or Disney) makes me want to walk away from this town. I detest fanbois in general, no matter what theyre rooting for.

I'm tired of it as well.

And I worry that UNI will start realizing it can cut corners and get away with it because it now has strong BRAND advocates in the fan community. That is one way, we absolutely do not want UNI aping Disney.

WDW1974

Original Poster
In other news, Spirit, have you heard anything about this very strange painting of the innoventions/commuicore buildings?

No. I wanted to see it. But due to many unforeseen circumstances, I somehow never made it to EPCOT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom