Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Isn't the ride itself already the cliff notes version?

It's an immersion ride.. you are taken to the setting from the story and enjoy the playful gags of the dwarves in their mine that is introduced in the film. You enter and observe. There is no plot, no connected sequence of events, or progression. The witch outside the cottage is the closest thing in the whole attraction to a piece of a story. The details and immersion elements are all placemaking to add credibility and to transport you to the places from the film.

Actually I find it one of the more refreshing takes on the movie ride concept in a long time. My biggest complaint with the Nemo attractions is... they try to tell the story of the movie... you know.. the story you already know. I'm happy to see something DIFFERENT from the movie, but taken from the movie's setting, in an attraction for a change.

EpcoTim

It's an immersion ride.. you are taken to the setting from the story and enjoy the playful gags of the dwarves in their mine that is introduced in the film. You enter and observe. There is no plot, no connected sequence of events, or progression. The witch outside the cottage is the closest thing in the whole attraction to a piece of a story. The details and immersion elements are all placemaking to add credibility and to transport you to the places from the film.

Actually I find it one of the more refreshing takes on the movie ride concept in a long time. My biggest complaint with the Nemo attractions is... they try to tell the story of the movie... you know.. the story you already know. I'm happy to see something DIFFERENT from the movie, but taken from the movie's setting, in an attraction for a change.

I'm not questioning the concept, just merely looking for an appropriate definition.

I guess the Saturday morning cartoon "notes" or version would be more fitting.

Either way, I agree, it could be a very interesting take on it.

Kman101

I don't believe the MINE TRAIN ride was ever meant to tell the whole story of Snow White. It's from the Dwarf's perspective about them working in the mine (from what I took from it), and then we see them at home, and a teaser of the story with the witch and the apples in hand.

Personally, for me, that's enough. It seems jarring enough having the coaster go full on and then stop, go full force, then stop. I know everyone thinks 'longer is better' but maybe in this case, it's just fine the way it is. Some will like it, some won't like it. I'm not a huge fan of tons of stops in a coaster.

RSoxNo1

That may be true, but it is not what insiders here who saw the plans said. The new AAs came along well after they switched to the shorter track length. To my knowledge there were never plans that included both a longer track length and the upgraded AAs.
It's not unreasonable to think that the late in the game change to projected face animatronics would have also occurred on the longer track.

Is there a unload and a load station? if so you could run 4-5 cars on a good day. I would say while 1 leaving mine, 1 is entering, 1 on first lift, 2 unloading/loading

So how many sets of block brakes and chain drives are we talking about here?

Yes, there is a load and unload station. In theory I assume a train could be stopped on the first and second lift hills. It's possible that a train could also be stopped during the show scene before the 2nd lift hill. There are also two break runs after the second lift hill as well as the final break run by the cottage. It would be possible to run 5 trains, but because of how short the ride is, this could create problems. Thunder and Everest often have on ride delays when they run 5 trains.

That's a thought.
Ride envelope clearance seemed to have been a major problem throughout the construction process.

Just informed speculation, the late in the game envelope test very well may have been a horticulture issue not a rock work issue.

Omnispace

I think that's a pretty accurate description and I like your take that's it's an experience that ADDS to the movie and doesn't try to summarize it. Perhaps too many people are looking at this as a dark-ride when really it's a coaster experience with some scenes added -- like with Big Thunder Mountain.

I'm going to make a big guess that it was developed from the concept that it's a coaster first and foremost otherwise I think we would have ended up with a much different attraction. I can see where they tried to give the mine train cars some personality by allowing them to swing, but if that was truly the focus then one would think they would have slowed things down a bit and do some wobbles in the track and sharper turns to really make the swinging cars a larger part of the experience. Perhaps trying to find the right balance between challenging drops and swinging cars has mellowed the experience to where the cars are dampened a bit more than originally intended.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The swinging on the cars seems to be dampened to me. I would hypothesize that there is a counterspring on each side of the hinge that limits how far the pendulum can tilt sideways. So the differences in swinging may be intentionally limited, probably so that the ride can be more mild.

Agree - they certainly are not free hanging.

I wouldn't really call this a one of a kind ride system, as swinging coasters have been around since forever: suspended roller coasters are famous for it, and even the nearly forgotten steeplechase rides were a single-bottom rail coaster that had a swing like tilting effect.

Not that 'swinging' itself is new, but doesn't mean the implementation and results aren't new.

I'm still blown away by how good the carts themselves look going down the track. They take 'themed cars' to a level never seen before IMO. Tho I do like the details on the RnRC cars too :)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Here's my stance on 7DMT. I'm excited for it. I think it brings a lot to an area of the park that needed a more balanced draw since they shut down attractions years ago there and have mostly not used it.

On the whole, I like the FLE as well.

That being said, to hail 7DMT as some ground breaking attraction? Well, from what I've seen, it's not. It's arun of the mill slow coaster with some animetronics.

But, THAT can be PERFECT!

What will really seal it for me, is, do they focus more on show or story.

At Little Mermaid (WDW and Disneyland), they focus far more on show than story. It stinks. Both rides stink.

Splash, even though the general public is not familiar with the IP, still does great? Why? The ride focuses more on story than show.

I hope 7DMT does a better job of that, and I hope it's a great ride.

That being said, to call it epic? No. It's not epic, at least from what has been released and leaked.

But, it all does look very good.

If your idea of "show" is plants and trees then your in for a treat. If not, you get 20 seconds of show in the mine scene and other 10 seconds at the cottage. I agree it looks great, not epic though.

jlsHouston

I don't get why everyone seems so bitter today. WDW laid out their plans for the next 3 years in addition to finishing the launch of NFL and NGE. Love it or hate it, WDW is moving at the speed they want to move.

There is no need to create a fight and fanboi sides when obviously TWDC doesn't seem to be playing that game at all. (Someone mentioned that WDW will now enter a 3year phase with no new attractions...what about DLR, nothing is announced there and it has already been nearly two years since Carsland opened)This isn't Apple vs. Samsung,

The merits are a good enough discussion without perpetuating Disney vs Universal fan fights.

I think we are bitter because it is opening 1 day after I depart WDW. Everybody feels really bad for me that I have to wait til August to ride it.:bawling:

jlsHouston

Not really, no.

Nice cheap jab at another company's wildly successful E ticket attraction in a desperate attempt to illicit a response though. You obviously wrongly assume I love Uni and hate Disney. Maybe try to compare Disney - and WDW in particular - to the standards they set themselves years ago. Trying to wrongly and blindly compare to another product just stinks of desperation on a posters part.

If you have issues, PM me. Otherwise grow up.

There again, don't bother. Reading your other posts I see you're like this with lots of people.

You're new here. I think. Why are you so confrontational and aggressive?

So I wasn't the only one who picked up on that bit of hatefulness from this poster?

jlsHouston

Agree - they certainly are not free hanging.

Not that 'swinging' itself is new, but doesn't mean the implementation and results aren't new.

I'm still blown away by how good the carts themselves look going down the track. They take 'themed cars' to a level never seen before IMO. Tho I do like the details on the RnRC cars too :)

I'm blown away by how much they rock in the videos. I gotta drop alot of weight between now and August if your equation is correct. Or take a dramamine or something:oops:

jlsHouston

I don't believe the MINE TRAIN ride was ever meant to tell the whole story of Snow White. It's from the Dwarf's perspective about them working in the mine (from what I took from it), and then we see them at home, and a teaser of the story with the witch and the apples in hand.

Personally, for me, that's enough. It seems jarring enough having the coaster go full on and then stop, go full force, then stop. I know everyone thinks 'longer is better' but maybe in this case, it's just fine the way it is. Some will like it, some won't like it. I'm not a huge fan of tons of stops in a coaster.

Me either. I think that was part of why I didn't care for EE. Plus I was really apprehensive. I love BTMRR and Space though.

PhotoDave219

Spent my afternoon setting up my MDE account and linking magic bands, APs, etc., for a family members visit later this month.

I dont know who designed this stuff but its not user friendly at all... nevermind the concept itself. I hate jumping through hoops but this is pretty ridiculous.

While on one hand Disney tells everyone to plan to the Nth degree, they also expect people to be flexible enough to change all their plans at the drop of a hat due to operational issues. Thats a tad ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom