Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

71jason

If being white, upper middle class and obsessed with an entertainment company isnt the ultimate FirstWorldProblem, I'm not sure what is....

In AngryDisneyNerd's defense, he's one of the more level-headed Disney Tweeters out there, and one of the better writers, too (at least when it comes to <140 character posts, an artform akin to Hemingway's 6-word novel).

He posted one message that I saw, one in which the Spirit was clearly being intentionally antagonistic.

More interesting to me are the Universal fanbois angry that this thread hints Diagon Alley may be great but not the greatest thing every built in the history of mankind.

PhotoDave219

In AngryDisneyNerd's defense, he's one of the more level-headed Disney Tweeters out there, and one of the better writers, too (at least when it comes to <140 character posts, an artform akin to Hemingway's 6-word novel).

He posted one message that I saw, one in which the Spirit was clearly being intentionally antagonistic.

More interesting to me are the Universal fanbois angry that this thread hints Diagon Alley may be great but not the greatest thing every built in the history of mankind.

That type of brand advocacy (whether it be Uni or Disney) makes me want to walk away from this town. I detest fanbois in general, no matter what theyre rooting for.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If you haven't already lost all faith in humanity...

#disneysmmoms

All comped. All that money could have gone elsewhere...

Thats pathetic. Im sick and tired of idiots who put "social media" in front of their everyday position in life. I guess Im a "social media left handed person". What a crock, and women who add "mom" to their title as if it gives them extra credibility on all things Disney because they squeezed a baby out. Its an insult to REAL mothers out there who dont pimp the fact that they have a child to get free crap from Disney.

Seriously, look at the photos on #DisneySMMoms. 99% of the photos are ADULTS and their freebies they get and only 1% of the photos are of the children which they are exploiting in their title to get said freebies.

asianway

Thats pathetic. Im sick and tired of idiots who put "social media" in front of their everyday position in life. I guess Im a "social media left handed person". What a crock, and women who add "mom" to their title as if it gives them extra credibility on all things Disney because they squeezed a baby out. Its an insult to REAL mothers out there who dont pimp the fact that they have a child to get free crap from Disney.

Seriously, look at the photos on #DisneySMMoms. 99% of the photos are ADULTS and their freebies they get and only 1% of the photos are of the children which they are exploiting in their title to get said freebies. .
I just over to thatotherplace and started rereading the social media thread...

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Seriously, look at the photos on #DisneySMMoms. 99% of the photos are ADULTS and their freebies they get and only 1% of the photos are of the children which they are exploiting in their title to get said freebies.

Agreed 10000%

You said what I couldn't put into words!!! It's truly sickening.

rodserling27

First, saw the kiddie coaster running in tests. Walked around it. Did you know it's the only Disney attraction that you can completely walk around? (It has to be true if corporate says so, right?)
Wait a minute, that's a real thing? You've got to be kidding me. I thought someone here made that up. Wow.
So I'm guessing that Astro orbiter, Tomorrowland Speedway, Prince Charming's Carousel, Mad Tea Party, Dumbo, Aladdin's magic carpets, Cinderella Castle, SPACESHIP EARTH all don't count?

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's funny (or actually just typical of people today), but when you criticize what is popular to criticize in the fan community (that would be Disney, at least in Orlando) people egg you on and enjoy it. But when you raise legit issues about a company that some people feel (incorrectly) can now do no wrong (UNI), that they start whining and the claws come out and they take cheap shots in the Twitverse.

It is amusing.

Universal isn't perfect, guys/gals. It hasn't suddenly become the gold standard in theme parks.

What it is is the best run resort in Orlando and it is being managed in a way that adds quality and value to people's visits (largely by building top of the line creative product). It has a vision for the future that doesn't depend on selling timeshares, marketing nostalgia, MAGIC Bands and apps and increasing the amount you spend on every trip to keep its numbers looking good.

But it is not perfect. And it deserves criticism for things.

To not criticize where it deserves criticism would be akin to smoking the Pixie Dust that the Disney BRAND advocates do. I am no BRAND advocate for either company or any company for that matter.

I spoke with a high level UNI Creative last week. Someone who knows both the UNI and Disney products intimately and he told the truth and expressed frustration with some aspects of UNI's current build mindset. Gringotts may be great, but it relies on screens to a great degree. Neither of us think this is the best way of building attractions, especially when your parks are already heavily loaded by screen-based attractions.

Like I said, let's not even talk Kong because why have a JP dark ride (like the one originally planned) when we can shoehorn the monkey back in ... again, largely using screens.

C'mon, a decade ago folks were calling for Tom Fitzgerald's head at WDI for the same thing, but Thierry Coup doesn't even deserve a few little shots?

If some folks (i.e. UNI fanbois) can't take some honest criticism, then they just need to grow up.

What UNI is doing should be lauded, but it also can and should be looked at critically.

Transformers proved to me that you can really do too much of a good thing when it is the same. Yes, I suppose it is better than Disney pumping out Princess meet and greets, but that isn't the point here.

And, to my friends in the Twitverse, thanks for reading and why not drop in here if you have something to say? Steve really needs help keeping the lights on around here, after all!:D:greedy::cool:

NowInc

I have always had large distaste of screen use in attractions, Regardless of which company uses them. I am not a fan of Soarin'...never was...because to me its cheap. (my opinion that I'm sure will get argued against..so be it). Its why that even tho I enjoyed potter, I didn't think it was THAT impressive.

bubbles1812

On an unrelated note, hello to @bubbles1812. Long time, no read. How have you been?
Eh, can't complain. I've been here very sporadically, but life got busy with school/boards/family stuff ect. You know how life is... Sometimes it just gets in the way of Disney ;) Though it appears I need a lesson in "Disney love and how it should consume your life" if those people in the vid @TP2000 posted are to be taken seriously...yipes. o_O

I should be around more now. Thanks for asking. :)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I can easily see why someone in creative might be a little frustrated at the overuse of screen technology. In my limited interaction at Universal, my mind already compartmentalizes it as "the Roller Coaster and Screen" park (not that there's anything wrong with that). Adding another well-done yet screen-intensive ride plays into that narrative. Creative folks likely want people to see their creative vision as a whole, and not be able to pigeon-holed into a category.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom