Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue_Vongello

The plastic robots will be more entertaining hosts.

Actually ... (sheepishly) I think it sounds like a cool idea (sans host, to agree with you), and at roughly a $145 a person, the price doesn't seem unreasonable ... however, I can't imagine what the costs would be if I walked up off the street and asked to rent out The Great Movie Ride ... but how many people can he get to sign up for this that could cover that cost(s)? If 200 people sign up is $28,000 enough to rent out the venue PLUS food and beverage, etc..?

But I was thinking more to the original point of Spirit's threads ... while I am sure there are arrangements to rent out sections of the park for events, I just can't help but feel like there is some sort of special privilege being given here thus bringing it all back home to what we have been talking about ... the blurred line between "real" media/blogger /paid brand advocate.

Jeffxz

Actually ... (sheepishly) I think it sounds like a cool idea (sans host, to agree with you), and at roughly a $145 a person, the price doesn't seem unreasonable ... however, I can't imagine what the costs would be if I walked up off the street and asked to rent out The Great Movie Ride ... but how many people can he get to sign up for this that could cover that cost(s)? If 200 people sign up is $28,000 enough to rent out the venue PLUS food and beverage, etc..?

But I was thinking more to the original point of Spirit's threads ... while I am sure there are arrangements to rent out sections of the park for events, I just can't help but feel like there is some sort of special privilege being given here thus bringing it all back home to what we have been talking about ... the blurred line between "real" media/blogger /paid brand advocate.

Check out this site:

http://disneyeventgroup.com/sections/disney-park-events/disneys-hollywood-studios/great-movie-ride/

This has a list of all venues available to rent out for special events. Looks like the capacity for a GMR event is 225. There is no info on pricing, I'd assume it is negotiated per event and it wouldn't surprise me if he was getting a deal.

asianway

Anyone can rent GMR to hold that dinner:

http://www.disneymedialab.com/dvm/concepts/Great_Movie_Ride_Walk_Around_Dinner-EC.pdf

The question is, can just anyone rent it out, and then go and sell tickets to recover the costs? I believe that is determined on a case by case basis - how, I am not privy to.

Sue_Vongello

Sue_Vongello

Anyone can rent GMR to hold that dinner:

http://www.disneymedialab.com/dvm/concepts/Great_Movie_Ride_Walk_Around_Dinner-EC.pdf

The question is, can just anyone rent it out, and then go and sell tickets to recover the costs? I believe that is determined on a case by case basis - how, I am not privy to.

Yea I said I felt like anyone can rent it out but there was something else to this that didn't feel kosher ... I think you nailed it with the can anyone charge to get in? In addition to what Jeff said about him probably getting a deal ... I just can't think that $31,500 covers Disney's probably high rental fee, food, beverage, staff, overhead, etc ... Or else why doesn't everyone get married there because that'd be the cheapest venue in the world for 225 people?

Jeffxz

GiveMeTheMusic

Yea I said I felt like anyone can rent it out but there was something else to this that didn't feel kosher ... I think you nailed it with the can anyone charge to get in? In addition to what Jeff said about him probably getting a deal ... I just can't think that $31,500 covers Disney's probably high rental fee, food, beverage, staff, overhead, etc ... Or else why doesn't everyone get married there because that'd be the cheapest venue in the world for 225 people?

You'd be shocked. F&B minimum is probably around $75-$100 per person, maybe a bit higher, and IIRC, there isn't a separate facility fee - just the F&B minimum. I had a close friend get married at WDW a few years ago - 80 guests, Wedding Pavilion ceremony with dinner reception at Atlantic Dance Hall for just over $20K. For the quality of the venues, a Disney wedding is incredibly economical compared to venues in major cities.

And there are private events on property that you have to buy a ticket for all the time. DL had a pretty lavish event at the Tahitian Terrace last year sometime where tickets were sold by the organizers for something dumb like $250 a pop.

culturenthrills

Jimmy Stewart should be on everyone's top ten actors list. The guy's filmography was and still is amazing.

And people can talk about Vertigo until the cows come home, but Rear Window is my personal favourite Hitchcock movie.

Rear Window is the more entertaining movie. Vertigo is pretty dark especially for the time it weas made. Love Jimmy Stewart but really love Hitchcock. Unfortunately he was so good at making suspense movies it has been hard for anyone to make great ones now. Hitchcock did it all.

Scuttle

By the age of 40, De Niro had done Mean Streets, Godfather Pt 2, The Deer Hunter, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and The King of Comedy.

DiCaprio is almost 40 now. Has he done anything as good as Jake La Motta and Travis Bickle?

And that's just DeNiro. There are a number of other actors I'd choose for "best of all time" before DiCaprio would even cross my mind.

Leo's performance in what's eating gilbert grape is probably better than any of Bobby D's performances.

And I love me some Bobby D.

PhotoDave219

Maybe Disney will sell to Comcast, all the parks will be spruced up and get better rides and everyone will get tickets that allow them into all the parks. Or maybe something else...

Uh, wont happen. Comcast already tried buying Disney and it didnt work the first time.

From what a few friends have told me, its personal now.

RSoxNo1

A dining observation, the 1/2 chicken and BBQ rib combo that was $14.19 at last check has been removed from Cosmic Rays. It was one of the quick service entrees that still provided a value on the Dining Plan.

Edit: Looks like the BBQ Ribs that were $10.69 have also been removed... Don't worry though, according to guest surveys the Dining Plan is an incredible convenience and cost savings that's enjoyed by our guests.

luv

Uh, wont happen. Comcast already tried buying Disney and it didnt work the first time.

From what a few friends have told me, its personal now.
So, maybe something else. :)

Wasn't that a movie line? "This time, it's personal." And wasn't it a bad movie? I just can't remember the movie. Had to be some sequel. (eta: Jaws II. I looked it up.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom