Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody5242

Honestly, I think he's a pretty talented actor but there's not a single role he's been in that I see as even deserving of nomination relative to that year's competition. Wolf of Wall Street has a lot of potential, and I'm hearing positive buzz about his performance in it so there's a real shot that it will make folks forget about that ghastly Gatsby movie.
I thought the Great Gatsby was excellent

Sue_Vongello

The first 30 or so minutes were miserable in typical Baz fashion but thankfully (and surprisingly) he actually settled down and got it together and the rest of the movie flowed really well in a very "un-Baz" way and got pretty good indeed. Performances were stellar, naturally.

the.dreamfinder

signing on as their distributor isn't even in the same league as the IP aquistions (pixar, marvel, etc).. but it keeps getting brought up as if it were a disney property.
First, I do think Ghibli is often brought up as if Disney already owned it. Heck, the first time I saw a Ghibli film, Kiki's Delivery Service, was on the Disney Channel (I think that dates me quite a bit). I mean look at the way Skipper John evangelizes those films. Yes it's true they only distribute their films and things like domestic merchandise never went through, but there is a trajectory that could result in a future acquisition. Disney is a company where things take a while to unfold; see MyPalMickey and NextGen. For example, Walt Disney Japan has co-financed production on many of Ghibli's films going back to Spirited Away. Based on OLC's track record and recommendations from Pixar's theme park division, bringing Ghilbi IP to a third gate seems like a good move.

@wdwmagic, really enjoying the updated site! I love the auto save feature!

the.dreamfinder

The first 30 or so minutes were miserable in typical Baz fashion but thankfully (and surprisingly) he actually settled down and got it together and the rest of the movie flowed really well in a very "un-Baz" way and got pretty good indeed. Performances were stellar, naturally.
So folks don't enjoy Kanye and Jay Z in their period piece films? ;)
It was meh, I didn't like the rehab bookmarking and the film had this problem where it wanted to narrate everything. Take for example Gatsby's introduction, Baz crafted this beautiful shot of Gatsby so why did we need narration when we can clearly SEE it? It looked really pretty, but needed better writers.

the.dreamfinder

Leo is not a favorite of mine either, except for Shutter Island!
Probably in large part due to this guy.
img-martin-scorsese_14532014334.jpg

Calvin Coolidge

I think this thread is literally the only place in the world that consensus is in favor of both Gatsby and Lone Ranger. Lone Ranger was maybe worse than either Prince of Persia or John Carter. Gatsby is literally the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater by a comfortable margin, and I saw Jack & Jill, The Last Airbender, and two of the Twilight movies.

Clever Name

I think this thread is literally the only place in the world that consensus is in favor of both Gatsby and Lone Ranger. Lone Ranger was maybe worse than either Prince of Persia or John Carter. Gatsby is literally the worst movie I've ever seen in a theater by a comfortable margin, and I saw Jack & Jill, The Last Airbender, and two of the Twilight movies.
It's due to the minions.

Tim_4

Gatsby worse than Twilight!?

*Shudder*

Tim_4

After about three minutes of Lone Ranger, this is what is going on in everyone's mind:

I really wanted to love DM2. It was a solid A- for much of the movie but the two "fart gun" jokes just cheapened it. I don't know why but that left a really bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended).

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I really wanted to love DM2. It was a solid A- for much of the movie but the two "fart gun" jokes just cheapened it. I don't know why but that left a really bad taste in my mouth (no pun intended).
Little kids loooove fart jokes.
The first time I saw DM2, it was the 10:10 pm showing, and was a half-full theatre of adults only. The fart gun jokes received mild chuckles.
The second time I saw the movie however, was a matinee showing chock-full of kids. They thought the fart jokes were hysterical!
I felt the movie appealed to both kids and adults. Even my super cool 17 year old really enjoyed it. FYI, he laughed just as hard as the little ones at the fart gun jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom