Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

When did this happen? I guess I was gone that day, man I always miss the good stuff.

Lots of between the lines months ago that is getting stirred up after some of the twitter folk took exception to an argument between someone from another site and someone on this site.

Long story short, that has blown over.

However, parties on twitter feel the need to keep stirring the pot. Its all about drama.

Taylor

Lots of between the lines months ago that is getting stirred up after some of the twitter folk took exception to an argument between someone from another site and someone on this site.

Long story short, that has blown over.

However, parties on twitter feel the need to keep stirring the pot. Its all about drama.
Gotta love Internet slap fights. Who'd they call out here.

Rodan75

Here's a question ... a serious question ... but how much of the defending of WDW (not the Mongellos and assorted social media whores who have a financial interest in it) is based on flat out mental illness? Being in love with a BRAND at all costs and minus any sense of reality. In essence, the 'I like what I like and don't care whether it's good or not'.

I'm very interested in reading perspectives because well ... I'm tired of being told I should write a book on mental health and the Disney fan community. I know what my feelings are. And I'm trying to gather as many opinions and perspectives as I can.

I think there are two components to that question. 1. Folks on this board and others like it, look so closely at WDW that they see the flaws and feel the passion to call them out, which forces people to pick sides and force an argument. Irrational behavior ensues. 2. There are others that are so blinded by nostalgia that they can't see even the slightest flaw in the system.

In the end the truth is that there are good points to both perspectives; things aren't really as bad and dire as they appear but there are real fundamental problems that exist and need attention.

Unfortunately that leaves enough room for folks to pick sides and go to war...Apple vs. Samsung, PC vs. Mac, Pepsi vs. Coke, Disney vs. Uni, Republican vs. Democrat. Folks pick a side and lose all rational thought. It is a horrible negative thing for everyone involved.

Reactions: HMF

Tim_4

After participating on the CP last fall, I can honestly agree with the comment PhotoDave made above about CPs falling victim to the "lifestyler mentality". Lots of fellow CPs I met were so high on Pixie Dust, they were almost in outer space. My suite-mate was one of them. I will be the first to admit that I was one of them too. Before actually moving down there for the CP, I could not pry myself away from any other thoughts except that in a few weeks I was going to be living in Orlando and working for Disney! What could be better? I truly thought my life would improve by doing that. I got a rude wake up call after being down there for a few weeks, when I found out that "magical" life I planned wasn't actually going to pan out.

I'm not bashing the program, because I truly did have the time of my life. Once I got the hang of my role (housekeeping at DAK Lodge), I enjoyed it and my managers were quite nice. I met lots of new people, gained much needed work experience, and got to spend time at my favorite parks. Until I did the program, I thought I would graduate college, pick up my life, and move to Florida and work for the Mouse. I now know that's not happening, because the idea is simply too superficial. However, I do plan on participating in the CP again, strictly for the fact that I need a breather before I dive into graduate school, lol! :cool:
Really? I usually feel like the CPs are the most jaded, arrogant a**holes I encounter. Far from pixie dust, it usually feels like they spend most of their effort trying to convince each other they're too cool for Disney. They're also obnoxious guests. They wear their ID on their belt and make it a point to talk loudly about "backstage" so everyone can overhear how awesome they are.

Rather than enhancing the pixie dust mentality, I actually think the College Program greatly diminishes show quality and hurts the guest experience. Many of the folks are fine, but the standards for admission to the program are way too lax. Too many "cool kids" and not enough professionalism.

PhotoDave219

Really? I usually feel like the CPs are the most jaded, arrogant a**holes I encounter. Far from pixie dust, it usually feels like they spend most of their effort trying to convince each other they're too cool for Disney. They're also obnoxious guests. They wear their ID on their belt and make it a point to talk loudly about "backstage" so everyone can overhear how awesome they are.

Rather than enhancing the pixie dust mentality, I actually think the College Program greatly diminishes show quality and hurts the guest experience. Many of the folks are fine, but the standards for admission to the program are way too lax. Too many "cool kids" and not enough professionalism.

I find its a mix of both. Its polar opposites and both are represented.

It seems to be one extreme or the other. Either way, Ive seen far too many use a cell phone on stage.

ParentsOf4

Long time lurker and I'll weigh in...I believe there are at least two kinds of issues without a lot of brand defenders if you will. One pertains to those who have difficulty finding acceptance in everyday life. Whether they're 'awkward' or whatever, they just don't quite ever fit in. But at WDW, you can still most of the time find a CM who will smile at you and wish you a 'magical' day. Mickey is always smiling when he sees you and Cinderella basically has no choice but to talk to you if you stand in the queue to meet her. Some people really are so desperate for connection and feeling accepted that Disney is a way to achieve what they lack--and if something meets that need then admitting anything is ever wrong with it is highly unlikely.

The second issue is one I see in working with a lot of different people. It is the need for pure escapism. Some people just want to escape the reality of their lives. Disney offers that alternate place. And if you are dependent on escapism the object of escape will be defended because you have no choice--you can't lose that place. So, forget that things are not maintained. Forget that show standards are not met. Never mind that any number of actual serious issues are present--if it is where you find your escape, it is going to be 'magical' regardless of reality.

Might be all wrong, but you asked for perspectives—that’s mine.
Interesting insight. However, much of what you suggest also could be applicable to Universal Orlando yet many who have an irrational love of WDW (see my earlier post) have an irrational hatred of Universal.

It suspect it's jealousy. "No one is better than my spouse. No one!"

WDW pixie dusters are stuck in an abusive relationship. They are not ready to admit it and not ready to do anything about it. Their spouse is the best no matter what!

PhotoDave219

Yeah, I know the name. Same guy who twitted out a nasty insult to '74 a couple months ago. (I'll not put that one on here.)

I don't understand that mindset. It's like they want to stand at a safe distance and toss out insults rather than engaging in meaningful or intelligent discussion. (That's why I dislike that use of Twitter.)

Like others have said, some people are very possessive and protective of Disney. They take criticism of the company almost personally and think its okay to escalate into personal insults.

I don't get it...

Interesting enough.... the person I'm thinking of still works in casting

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't understand that mindset. It's like they want to stand at a safe distance and toss out insults rather than engaging in meaningful or intelligent discussion. (That's why I dislike that use of Twitter.)

You mean like the ones who join a service designed from the start to be a public presentation of info.. and then 'protect' their profile so people can't see what they write?? :)

Not everyone is interested in discussion forums - that's fine.. they just want to consume. But the ones who use twitter as an alternative to them.. they are simply 'retreating' from scrutiny.

PhotoDave219

:cautious: Vista Way :cautious: I agree with that 100%! For every pixie dust covered CP I met, I also met way to many people who didn't give a rat's about anything except abusing their perks as a Cast Member. Those were the people who paraded around the parks, local malls, restaurants, and other areas demanding they receive the "Golden Treatment" because they have the Blue ID.

I know the type. I cant stand them.

luv

I've been around a LOT of mentally ill people in my day. You could almost say it was my job. Because it was my job. :) And with any luck, will be again sooner rather than later. :)

The Disney thing is harmless to society and one of the better fixations out there, IMO. Way better than alcohol, drugs, rape, murder or even lying in bed (just like Brian Wilson did ;)), which is common.

If people like to go to parks every day and can manage to do it, I will wish them well and leave them to it. If I knew any, I'd buy them a hot dog and have a chat. They may have issues, but find me a person with no issues and I'll find you a liar. If they have more issues than other people, then I commend them for getting along, even with all they have to deal with.

MerlinTheGoat

Like others have said, some people are very possessive and protective of Disney. They take criticism of the company almost personally and think its okay to escalate into personal insults.

I don't get it...

Agreed. I get enjoying and having fun with something for its objective qualities, but it's just stupid and insane to become a corporation's defense force. Especially when in the end, internally most corporate leaders in modern companies like Disney hold little more than contempt and disgust towards their customers. There's no logic IMO in defending an entity that considers us as nothing more than a disposable commodity to be milked dry and discarded after depleted.

Giving them the price of admission is the most "praise" the corporation itself deserves. And even that can be way more than they deserve if the product doesn't match up with the price tag. If you can find some objective quality in something, I think it's perfectly fine to spend some money on it if you like it. But that's where the loyalty should end involving companies.

I'm not saying all companies started this way (doubt Disney did with Walt). But Disney and most other large corporations have definitely become that way now. Getting defensive and emotionally attached to corporations not only shows signs of incredible stupidity and insanity on the part of the individual, but it's also dangerous to our society as a whole. Doing so provides them with insane power and money as well as the massive egos that come with it. And when an established corporation has people licking their toes and begging them to take their money based on nothing more than the brand (and/or the social status), why would they even bother trying to put any effort into their products anymore?

I think this clip is relevant-

That's also not to say there's anything wrong with enjoying the parks, there's really not. At least provided you have the intelligence to know when to slow down and have standards of quality for your money. It's when that love makes you start attacking people who don't obsess over it, or mindlessly defend the company, that's when it becomes insane and even harmful to society.

WildcatDen

Those with the weakest faith are always the loudest preachers.
Interesting. So, on these boards, Spirit could be considered the loudest preacher on the "Wal-Marting" of WDW. Based on your logic, he may actually have little faith in this stance.

I wonder if the same assumption can be applied to people doing mission work in China or Korea. Certainly their faith must be so small that they would not dare risk their lives. . . certainly not! Too general of a statement, maybe?

PhotoDave219

Interesting. So, on these boards, Spirit could be considered the loudest preacher on the "Wal-Marting" of WDW. Based on your logic, he may actually have little faith in this stance.

I wonder if the same assumption can be applied to people doing mission work in China or Korea. Certainly their faith must be so small that they would not dare risk their lives. . . certainly not! Too general of a statement, maybe?

I disagree. That premise has been around since the time of shakespeare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom