Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildcatDen

I disagree. That premise has been around since the time of shakespeare.
Not saying it has not been around, or did you just read that on the internet? If so, there is a French model I'd like you to meet. ;) Just saying, from the people I know, it is not the case. That is why I even included the comment on Spirit. You can tell from his prose that he believes what he says (or types). But you know what, you are entitled to disagree, after-all, there are exceptions to almost any rule. Possible?

awilliams4

The second issue is one I see in working with a lot of different people. It is the need for pure escapism. Some people just want to escape the reality of their lives. Disney offers that alternate place. And if you are dependent on escapism the object of escape will be defended because you have no choice--you can't lose that place. So, forget that things are not maintained. Forget that show standards are not met. Never mind that any number of actual serious issues are present--if it is where you find your escape, it is going to be 'magical' regardless of reality.

I vote for this 2nd option. However, we don't hang out in the parks all the time. We love the property and the resorts just as much. DVC and enough points to stay in larger villas may do that to you. Our escape is being on property not necessarily being in lines at the parks and seeing peeling paint or broken Yeti's.

PhotoDave219

Not saying it has not been around, or did you just read that on the internet? If so, there is a French model I'd like you to meet. ;) Just saying, from the people I know, it is not the case. That is why I even included the comment on Spirit. You can tell from his prose that he believes what he says (or types). But you know what, you are entitled to disagree, after-all, there are exceptions to almost any rule. Possible?

You mentioned a french model. Please, do go on.

Goofyernmost

I've been around a LOT of mentally ill people in my day. You could almost say it was my job. Because it was my job. :) And with any luck, will be again sooner rather than later. :)

The Disney thing is harmless to society and one of the better fixations out there, IMO. Way better than alcohol, drugs, rape, murder or even lying in bed (just like Brian Wilson did ;)), which is common.

If people like to go to parks every day and can manage to do it, I will wish them well and leave them to it. If I knew any, I'd buy them a hot dog and have a chat. They may have issues, but find me a person with no issues and I'll find you a liar. If they have more issues than other people, then I commend them for getting along, even with all they have to deal with.
Very well said! Bravo! I like the posts that "spirit" does they are usually informative and humorous. I don't think he is always correct, but he is correct a lot. The only time I feel a bit of a cringe is when he makes statements like Disney fans are mentally ill. All the while he is posting on a Disney Fan Board. What's up with that? The wording of his post makes it seem like he is above all that and just making a powerful observation concerning the rest of us. Well, sorry, but Mr. 74 is just as mentally ill as the rest of us. It just manifests itself differently. He seems to have a need to be the always in the know guy. The one that is the first to let everyone know what is going on, yet he gets his information from someone that knew before he did. Imagine that...he didn't break the news, they did. He was just the speaker phone.

Now having said that, and rereading it, I know that it sounds like I'm angry or really upset with Spirit, I am not. I just don't like it when he is being hypocritical and thinks that his obsession is perfectly normal and everyone else needs to be put in an institution. Just level the playing field. If mental illness can be defined by an overwhelming passion for Disney Theme parks, then everyone of us on this and other like boards are certifiable. Pixie Dusters feel obsessively that Disney is perfect and can do no wrong...his and others feel the obsession to always alert everyone of problems so that something will get done to make Disney perfect again. It is a fine line between one and the other.

As you said, we are in some way all mentally ill. My grown children kind of look at me funny because I tend to talk about stuff that is happening on the 'boards". They are and have been concerned that I spend too much of my life reading and responding to a group of people that I wouldn't know if they walked into me. Well, I'm 65 years old, I have been divorced for 13 years and I live alone. I have to ask them if they think it would be better if I drank or used drugs to fill up the space in time that I have. They really don't know how to answer that because they do realize that there are a lot of things that are much more harmful to me and/or society that I could get caught up in. They are happy about my "illness"! So am I!

GiveMeTheMusic

So does anyone know what @WDW1974 was hinting at when he said 'Transformative' for WDW?

Clearly, he was referring to the Transformers rights being purchased from Uni by Disney! You can look forward to the all new Build-a-Transformer retail experience coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2016! ;)

truecoat

So the costs associated with this new WOC show, do they fall under Parks Entertainment or just charged to the budget of Frozen?

71jason

Interesting. So, on these boards, Spirit could be considered the loudest preacher on the "Wal-Marting" of WDW. Based on your logic, he may actually have little faith in this stance.

I wonder if the same assumption can be applied to people doing mission work in China or Korea. Certainly their faith must be so small that they would not dare risk their lives. . . certainly not! Too general of a statement, maybe?

Well, was using the concept as a metaphor, didn't mean to call out anyone promoting a recognized faith, as that (like politics) is outside the scope of the boards. I would suggest people doing mission work in Third World counties aren't preaching in the sense I meant--that's actual action. Now mega-church preachers who rail against gay marriage then end up with male prostitutes, that's a different story ...

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
It’s simply an irrational love for WDW.

I call it irrational because, to me, “rational love” runs both ways. If you will, true love is a two-way street; it’s symbiotic. True love nurtures both parties.

Back in the old days, the “love” that fans felt for WDW was reciprocated. Corporately in the 1970s through the 1990s, WDW often was cited as a shining example of service excellence. Corporate WDW “loved” its customers. Not anymore.

Sorry but today’s WDW is not demonstrating any love when it (for example) raises prices by double-digits, cuts show quality, and distributes billions of WDW’s profits elsewhere instead of reinvesting it back into the parks.

In some sense, WDW has become the abusing spouse while WDW fans are the abused spouse. Lately, WDW has been abusing its fans again and again and yet many refuse to walk away from what has become a bad relationship.

Sorry for using a truly serious subject like spousal abuse as an analogy but it’s the best I could think of at the moment.

Very well put my friend. The analogy may be touchy but it's spot on!

71jason

I find its a mix of both. Its polar opposites and both are represented.

That's because it attracts two types of students.

One the one hand, those theater geek girls who are thrilled that, for the first time ever, knowing all the words to the Broadway version of The Little Mermaid actually makes them kind of cool--and you should see the Princess Leia costume I wore for Halloween!--and young gay men who, often for the first time ever, are exposed to a genuine, accepting community with more datable guys than they ever even dreamed about.

On the flip side, college kids who were expecting a 6-month long Spring Break of beach-side keggers and tanning who are told, "Business Major? Great, you'll be a janitor. PoliSci with a 4.0? Perfect, you're in charge of fries at Pecos Bills." Throw in working for less than minimum wage and the draconian rules at Vista Lay (more honored in the breach than the observance*, but still...), and I can see how they are demoralized.

* [You brought up Shakespeare, now you see the consequences?]

71jason

I've been around a LOT of mentally ill people in my day. You could almost say it was my job. Because it was my job. :) And with any luck, will be again sooner rather than later. :)

The Disney thing is harmless to society and one of the better fixations out there, IMO. Way better than alcohol, drugs, rape, murder or even lying in bed (just like Brian Wilson did ;)), which is common.

I'm not going to argue Disney addiction is worse than a smack habit. But I have friends who have dropped over $20k on Haunted Mansion merch, or have literally boxed of pins stacked in a corner from their pin trading days--that ain't healthy. And if every vacation is spent at WDW, there are opportunity costs--look at all the places you're not visiting. Same goes if you move to Orlando, then end up a low-paying job that traps you here (happens a lot). That's not going to kill you, but it's not going to expand your life, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom