Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevehousse

Today was indeed an incredibly meaningful transformative day.

I will post more thoughts on what transpired when I am able to sit down and put my thoughts together in proper form, which will likely be the weekend or early next week.

But something has definitely ... well, changed. (I am not sure what kind of smiley should be used here because it is both good and bad, both happy and sad and frankly years in the making.)

On another subject ... UNI will build a monorail system before Disney buys new trains and expands (just because I hear there is more stupidity banging around the cyberverse).

Ggggrrrr....I hate when u leave us hanging like that... :(

stevehousse

I wonder if this had to do with spirited change among execs??? I don't think this is referring to an attraction! However I do wonder if this is about Figment and his Pavillion.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Here's a question ... a serious question ... but how much of the defending of WDW (not the Mongellos and assorted social media whores who have a financial interest in it) is based on flat out mental illness? Being in love with a BRAND at all costs and minus any sense of reality. In essence, the 'I like what I like and don't care whether it's good or not'.

I'm very interested in reading perspectives because well ... I'm tired of being told I should write a book on mental health and the Disney fan community. I know what my feelings are. And I'm trying to gather as many opinions and perspectives as I can.

PhotoDave219

Here's a question ... a serious question ... but how much of the defending of WDW (not the Mongellos and assorted social media whores who have a financial interest in it) is based on flat out mental illness? Being in love with a BRAND at all costs and minus any sense of reality. In essence, the 'I like what I like and don't care whether it's good or not'.

I'm very interested in reading perspectives because well ... I'm tired of being told I should write a book on mental health and the Disney fan community. I know what my feelings are. And I'm trying to gather as many opinions and perspectives as I can.

I actually think the hardcore lifestyler mentality, while falls prey to some levels of mental illness - is more exhibited by some CMs and CPs more than the locals. Most of the people I interact with dont defend Disney mostly because its a business and management's decisions are usually poor and shortsighted.

Most can differentiate between the ideals/what this place should be and the craptacular decisions made by management and tend to defend the former rather than the latter.

Unless we're going to start involving the twitter crowd and well... then we might have a few new entries for the DSM.

Black Pearl

Sorry, but I don't post meaty serious things without thought and time to reread/edit. And I just am not ready. But I did sorta want to share my feelings because today ... well, today a lot of things crystalized as I thought they would.

Appreciated. Nice to have the thought out version rather than the half baked one.

IHeartArt

Sorry, but I don't post meaty serious things without thought and time to reread/edit. And I just am not ready. But I did sorta want to share my feelings because today ... well, today a lot of things crystalized as I thought they would.

If you have something personal to say in this thread, don't cave to anyone who's too impatient and thinks you're going to give more information on the parks. Say it when you feel like you're ready to say it, not a moment before.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I've actually been thinking about this, but in broader terms, not just for Disney. It has to do with the average human putting emotions over evidence, faith over facts. Disney tends to be a very emotional thing for people because many people grew up with it.

Just like how some people in politics wish it was the 1950's all over again, some people wish their childhood memories of Disney were still true, and will ignore many skeptics who tell them it is no longer like that.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I knew it! They've been cooking crystal meth on the top floor of the Imagination pavilion.

funny_breaking_bad_memes_640_04.jpg

asianway

Some of the twitter blog people are pretty bad, but they're more exploitive of their followers than truly mentally ill. There's a few where you really see the mental illness in the interactions of their followers.

The Mom

Premium Member
I've actually been thinking about this, but in broader terms, not just for Disney. It has to do with the average human putting emotions over evidence, faith over facts. Disney tends to be a very emotional thing for people because many people grew up with it.

Just like how some people in politics wish it was the 1950's all over again, some people wish their childhood memories of Disney were still true, and will ignore many skeptics who tell them it is no longer like that.

Or those in politics who wish it was the 1960s/early 70s all over again. ;)

Which is all I'm going to say, or allow, before this thread turns political again.

deaconfan

Long time lurker and I'll weigh in...I believe there are at least two kinds of issues without a lot of brand defenders if you will. One pertains to those who have difficulty finding acceptance in everyday life. Whether they're 'awkward' or whatever, they just don't quite ever fit in. But at WDW, you can still most of the time find a CM who will smile at you and wish you a 'magical' day. Mickey is always smiling when he sees you and Cinderella basically has no choice but to talk to you if you stand in the queue to meet her. Some people really are so desperate for connection and feeling accepted that Disney is a way to achieve what they lack--and if something meets that need then admitting anything is ever wrong with it is highly unlikely.

The second issue is one I see in working with a lot of different people. It is the need for pure escapism. Some people just want to escape the reality of their lives. Disney offers that alternate place. And if you are dependent on escapism the object of escape will be defended because you have no choice--you can't lose that place. So, forget that things are not maintained. Forget that show standards are not met. Never mind that any number of actual serious issues are present--if it is where you find your escape, it is going to be 'magical' regardless of reality.

Might be all wrong, but you asked for perspectives—that’s mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom