Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianLo

it seems to me that the majority of that higher price were due to the Imperial Gallon being larger then the American gallon. Five quarts instead of four. When divided by quarts (or as close as we can due to liters vs. quarts) it seems that it came pretty close. Has that changed?

Wasn't part of the reason that you "paid" more for cars and most other things was due to the fact that for the longest time the US Dollar was worth more then the Canadian Dollar. So something that costs $100.00 in the states cost $110.00 in Canada. That and the rest of the higher prices could also have been attributed to a higher rate of inflation. What I am unaware of is what is happening now. I think that the money is at par, which should bring the amounts paid more in line, but a lot of it is the result of the profit margin vs. tax rate charged by the governments which also adds to the cost. From my recollection Canada has never been shy about imposing tax upon tax upon tax.

Gas is pumped by the liter in Canada (not Imperial gallon). A quick calculation on my part would say our gas has hung around the 4.75-5.25 Canadian dollar per gallon over the last several years. Of course that is a moving target but our dollar has been pretty steadily around par (with 5-10% variation above or below for several years now).

Yes it's true that the value of the dollar has swung in our favour but the cost of pretty much everything has lagged behind and that's why there is a lot of cross border shopping (especially when our dollar was worth almost 15% more than USD during the height of the financial crisis). It's not the taxable total that is the problem, it is the list prices. Books are probably one of the worst offenders for people as they always have a Canadian and US list price and the US list price is often 30% cheaper prior to taxes.

However I do remember that US gas (even when our dollar was worth far less) was even cheaper for us back in the day. I think US gas has really caught up in price to the rest of the world over the last five years and that's why it is so shocking.

Still we pay a premium, a lot of it may have to do with economies of scale or what have you. I really am not an economist though... :)

Captain Neo

If the international parks fail, there is no chance in hell they would increase spending at the parks Stateside.

Not true at all. Increase in spending has more to do with competitors and other forms of entertainment vying for people's dollars. More parks just dilutes the brand, takes the focus away from the American parks (which is why we have been treated like second class citizens here in good ol' us of a this past decade), and diverts funding from the American parks. Ask any insider about what would have been built stateside if Eisner would have never greenlit Disneyland Paris.

ParentsOf4

As someone who has lived and worked in vile, evil, Godless, pinko China multiple times,all I'll tell you is that you get more real hard news there. You think about that and go wave your flag.
I'm in Belgium right now and the news channels have actual news!

If the rest of the world can do it, why can't the U.S.?

For the same reason WDW theme parks are shells of their former selves.

SirLink

Not true at all. Increase in spending has more to do with competitors and other forms of entertainment vying for people's dollars. More parks just dilutes the brand, takes the focus away from the American parks (which is why we have been treated like second class citizens here in good ol' us of a this past decade), and diverts funding from the American parks. Ask any insider about what would have been built stateside if Eisner would have never greenlit Disneyland Paris.

Look at it this way - even if the parks overseas didn't exist. Disney wouldn't spend money. But I'm glad they did build DLP, in the first couple of years it was excellent. Still needs some TLC in certain places around the Park but it feels like it is getting better.

I'm not sure how the resort funding works for HKDL or even how Shanghai will be ... however lets say there are no international resorts - no one can make a bold claim that they would spend more in US Parks. If anything it would be the same funding - as is - or less, not more.

Also its not that more Parks are diluting the Brand it is that Disney allowed the Teams responsible for those resorts to let the Brand "seal of quality" fail. They are now paying the price.

PeterAlt

I'm in Belgium right now and the news channels have actual news!

If the rest of the world can do it, why can't the U.S.?

For the same reason WDW theme parks are shells of their former selves.
The news in the US was cancelled during the Bush Administration. Obama has failed to reinstate it because he doesn't want anyone to know what he's doing with his drones or that he's reading our email and listening to our phone calls...

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Tuesdays are cheap movies in Ontario. I paid less than $5.50 to see TLR, and just under $8.50 (x3) to see Monsters University in 3D. They get you at the concession stand. $25 for two drinks, two medium popcorn and a small bag of M&M's.
I remember the good old days when the boys and I used to go to the drive-in for $6.50 + $3.00 for a large popcorn. For some reason, we always seemed to have a couple of cans of pop rolling around in a cooler in the trunk. Let's call it serendipitous.
On another note, my boys would be shocked to learn that sometimes I find them to be just as embarrassing as they find me. Just saying.

Wow, I paid $10 on a Tuesday night and I was one of five people watching. Damn New York prices.... So anyway... Anyone excited for Wolves of Wall Street, Thor and Saving Mr. Banks? It's all I currently have on the radar.

BrianLo

Universal is "Disney level" except for the fact that they don't really care for a few sightline errors. Besides a few visible show buildings it's "Disney level".

No one can deny that, but "Disney Level" runs the gamut! From TDS to WDS.

IOA certainly competes with the "better" Disney parks, the Studios though (apart from Singapore which is the gem) hover between the MK/DHS mark. Of course, the difference is USF is on a good trajectory and will start to work its way up the list in short order. The Japan and Cali versions are both getting Potter too (although USJ's sightline issues are probably worse than a Six Flags park, most of those don't have a visible highway hovering above the park).

This is a WDW centric board obviously, in Florida they are winning the battle, but they are not on the TDS/DL level just yet!

Goofyernmost

Gas is pumped by the liter in Canada (not Imperial gallon). A quick calculation on my part would say our gas has hung around the 4.75-5.25 Canadian dollar per gallon over the last several years. Of course that is a moving target but our dollar has been pretty steadily around par (with 5-10% variation above or below for several years now).

You left out the part of my post that said that my experience goes back quite a few years, but, back then it was indeed pumped based on the Imperial Gallon. It doesn't surprise me that the liter is used now. The idea that things were more expensive in Canada then in the states is nothing new. It was that way back in the 60's and it still is. I believe that the average rate of pay in Canada is higher then the states. eh? Sorry had to do that. All my ex-inlaws live in Canada and I owed it to them. eh?:D

orky8

It's happening... Uni is taking over, peice by peice, as I predicted!

I once learned that if you put a frog in warm water and slowly heat the water until it boils, the frog will stay there and die. But, if you turn the heat up quickly, the frog will jump out of the water and save itself from dying. I use this analogy for global warming because we are frogs in the warm water being brought to the boiling point slowly, but that's not why I'm bringing up this analogy here.

In this case, Disney is the frog. And Uni is slowly turning up the heat (with the financial help of its owner - Comcast). If Uni was to turn up the heat faster, Disney would make an emergency response. Since they're turning up the heat slowly, Disney sees no emergency and will not respond. Let's see what happens...

Good analogy, but unfortunately the frog thing is a myth.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/frogboil.asp

I see your point, but knowing the cheapskates that are TDO, I'm not sure they would make much different of a response even if Uni did turn the heat up any faster.

Also, Uni turned on the heat in record time practically. HP1 was quickly followed by Transformers, and HP2, and now Jurassic and more and more and more. Disney just doesn't think it matters. TDO thinks nostalgia will trump regardless. With regard to MK, they may be right, but their other three parks need to compete.

BrianLo

You left out the part of my post that said that my experience goes back quite a few years, but, back then it was indeed pumped based on the Imperial Gallon. It doesn't surprise me that the liter is used now.

HA - well you taught me something new. Unfortunately the metrification goes back before I was born (I know I am dating... (or anti-dating?) myself.

eh? Sorry had to do that. All my ex-inlaws live in Canada and I owed it to them. eh?
I forgive you! However now I have to return the educational favour... The version of Canada's accent that Americans think a lot of us have is more akin to an East coaster (Newfoundland especially). Canada is huge and has a wide variety of accents just like America. Surprisingly I'd say an "Ontarian's" accent is more akin to a Californian one even though we are far closer to Detroit and New York.

Unfortunately, I do not say "Eh"... Nor do I say "about" funny. I also have no idea where in Canada people say "aBOOT" for that matter.

Although we generally spell it litre, not liter. :D

Oh and any good Canadian uses "sorry" liberally. It's nice to be polite!

The Empress Lilly

While researching about Uni land buys, I came across an interesting bit from Jim Hill concerning the "negative" attitude of fan sites, like ours. Read the answer to the question that begins "Why on earth are so many Disney fan websites so negative?" in this link...

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/jimhillmedia?url=http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2012/12/27/why-for-downer.aspx#2748

I would like to know how you all would respond to his comments about us...
1 - You are posting from a mobile device

2 - What complete nonsense that answer was. I'm negative about WDW destroying FW and cartoonifying the MK, which has nothing to do with any lingering thoughts formed during imperfect soft-openings of Aladdin's spinner or Ellen And Her Big Dinosaur Friends Adventure.
It's all what lesser designer like to tell themselves, hands covering their ears.

PeterAlt

1 - You are posting from a mobile device

2 - What complete nonsense that answer was. I'm negative about WDW destroying FW and cartoonifying the MK, which has nothing to do with any lingering thoughts formed during imperfect soft-openings of a Aladdin's spinner or Ellen And Her Big Dinosaur Friends Adventure.
It's all what lesser designer like to tell themselves, hands covering their ears.
1. Yes, I'm on my iPhone. I prefer 'net reading on my phone rather than my computer because I can go any where with it and not have to use glasses (I'm near-sided).

2. Thanks! I just wanted to hear the other side of his obviously one-sided opinion!

Atomicmickey

Oh, I'd also be remiss if I didn't congratulate the good folks at TDO as they start parking lot construction on their shoppjng/lifestyle center. I think I speak for all the sane fans out there when I say ...yawn ... Zzzzzzzzz.

We shall see if the tax situation causes even the parking garage to be scaled back . . . . ooh, dramatic.

Sue_Vongello

While researching about Uni land buys, I came across an interesting bit from Jim Hill concerning the "negative" attitude of fan sites, like ours. Read the answer to the question that begins "Why on earth are so many Disney fan websites so negative?" in this link...

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/jimhillmedia?url=http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2012/12/27/why-for-downer.aspx#2748

You have to read through the articles he has been "paid" for and get to the ones you can clearly see he is excited about, the ones where he gets to tell old stories or he is giddy about new rumors he feels comfortable selling. There is still good stuff to be found from him but every now and then you'll see an article or a comment that you can tell in his writing he doesn't believe but has to "pay his dues" to keep whatever access he has ... not a horrible trade off because I still think he dispenses some solid enough rumors.

71jason

MILF still seems out of place in Tomorrowland, and still, in A-mode, doesn't pull in huge crowds. So the early criticism, while possibly unfounded, proved to be correct.

71jason

not a horrible trade off because I still think he dispenses some solid enough rumors.

Eh, has anyone ever gone back and checked how many of his rumors pan out--not just the ones on his site, but also the "tips" or whatever from the Unofficial Guide over the years? Everyone loves to make snarky comments whenever Screamscape comes up, but I think Lance gets more right than Jim Hill does, and he manages to do it without coming off as a bought-and-paid-for mouthpiece of TWDC. (Which you would think would at least result in a better track record.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom