Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I'd say Universal is Disney without the nostalgia and years and years of goodwill cache ... fortunately Universal decided to combat nostalgia with a constant influx of new real experiences and Disney decided to cash in their years of goodwill savings (unfortunately they are almost broke).
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.
Perfectly said, Sue.

Bolna

True, but they are still an insignificant group. And, even with a growing middle class, it isn't all that easy or affordable to go abroad. I have to believe that with two Disney resorts in China soon that even those who wind up in Japan won't be looking for a Disney theme park.

Unlike say, the growing number of Indians traveling to HKDL.

Totally unscientific method: But this summer in my quaint European town it appears as if nearly half the tourists are from China. Definitely many more than just three years ago.

the.dreamfinder

I'd say Universal is Disney without the nostalgia and years and years of goodwill cache ... fortunately Universal decided to combat nostalgia with a constant influx of new real experiences and Disney decided to cash in their years of goodwill savings (unfortunately they are almost broke).

Just in time for our UNI discussion, Matt Singer over at TheDissolve wrote an article on the evolution of the Universal Studios parks.
http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/24-universal-studios-florida-and-the-evolving-art-of-/

PeterAlt

It's happening... Uni is taking over, peice by peice, as I predicted!

I once learned that if you put a frog in warm water and slowly heat the water until it boils, the frog will stay there and die. But, if you turn the heat up quickly, the frog will jump out of the water and save itself from dying. I use this analogy for global warming because we are frogs in the warm water being brought to the boiling point slowly, but that's not why I'm bringing up this analogy here.

In this case, Disney is the frog. And Uni is slowly turning up the heat (with the financial help of its owner - Comcast). If Uni was to turn up the heat faster, Disney would make an emergency response. Since they're turning up the heat slowly, Disney sees no emergency and will not respond. Let's see what happens...

Zweiland

It's happening... Uni is taking over, peice by peice, as I predicted!

I once learned that if you put a frog in warm water and slowly heat the water until it boils, the frog will stay there and die. But, if you turn the heat up quickly, the frog will jump out of the water and save itself from dying. I use this analogy for global warming because we are frogs in the warm water being brought to the boiling point slowly, but that's not why I'm bringing up this analogy here.

In this case, Disney is the frog. And Uni is slowly turning up the heat (with the financial help of its owner - Comcast). If Uni was to turn up the heat faster, Disney would make an emergency response. Since they're turning up the heat slowly, Disney sees no emergency and will not respond. Let's see what happens...

Good analogy, but unfortunately the frog thing is a myth.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/frogboil.asp

I see your point, but knowing the cheapskates that are TDO, I'm not sure they would make much different of a response even if Uni did turn the heat up any faster.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
VERY,very depressing. I would like to think that this is all temporary (which it likely is) until new ownership comes in. But I just fell in love with that park (thanks to a few friends!!!) and it saddens me to hear them basically pulling a TDO on the place.

Good times were had, that is a fact! There are some possible new owners in the speculation circle that are a bit troubling but I am sure you are well aware of them. It is sad to see one of the greats go through such hard times.

As much as I rip WDW on short comings with cuts and the like this has really hit on an entirely different level. Maybe the closest comparison I will ever have to your and your feelings on WDW's decline.

the.dreamfinder

Good times were had, that is a fact! There are some possible new owners in the speculation circle that are a bit troubling but I am sure you are well aware of them. It is sad to see one of the greats go through such hard times.
I guess you can't get into specifics for us non spirit folks?

RandySavage

By all means.
Here it goes.

In that site plan (don't know the date, but it aligns with the current blueprints undergoing public review in China at the moment) the lands are labeled as:
1. Mickey Avenue (supposedly Buena Vista St meets Toontown, likely home to typical retail, dining and services at the front of a park).
2. Gardens of Imagination (the 12 acre hub home to Dumbo, the Carousel, and an amphitheater facing the castle).
3. Adventure Isle (which shows a Rapids ride (rumored dinosaur theme), the Soarin building, African-themed dining (near hub), a boat ride encircling the small island (looks to me like a Canoe or Keelboat-sized attraction, not Jungle Cruise) and some buildings adjacent to Soarin which were shown to be Mayan/Aztec in some of the concept art. There could also be an explore/play zone among the landscaping north of the rapids ride).
4. Treasure Cove (with a new PotC emphasizing screens - probably the park's headlining attraction. Likely an explore zone and a Tortuga/Port Royal village area with retail and dining).
5. Fantasyland (the green area directly east of the castle is a hedge maze. The fairy tale boat ride that goes under the castle takes up the whole center of the land. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is on the east side. Above it is a Pooh area with a ride based on the MK attraction and a Hunny Pot spinner (teacups). On the west side, just below Toy Story Land is a building labeled Peter Pan's Flight. The large show-building at the northwest of the land is an unknown. I would hope for a LPS darkride, but it could also be a high-capacity indoor theater for musicals. There was a rumor Snuggly Duckling might be one of the dining options.
6. Toy Story Land (very similar to the others).
7. Tomorrowland (the big building with the twisty thing leading to it is labeled Tron Lightcycles. An orbitron-style spinner (potentially jet-packs) is at the southeast of the land. Another building I can't identify. I've heard there will be a Stitch presence).

Now, can anyone in-the-know fill in the blanks, make corrections, tell us of changes?

Captain Neo

Here it goes.

In that site plan (don't know the date, but it aligns with the current blueprints undergoing public review in China at the moment) the lands are labeled as:
1. Mickey Avenue (supposedly Buena Vista St meets Toontown, likely home to typical retail, dining and services at the front of a park).
2. Gardens of Imagination (the 12 acre hub home to Dumbo, the Carousel, and an amphitheater facing the castle).
3. Adventure Isle (which shows a Rapids ride (rumored dinosaur theme), the Soarin building, African-themed dining (near hub), a boat ride encircling the small island (looks to me like a Canoe or Keelboat-sized attraction, not Jungle Cruise) and some buildings adjacent to Soarin which were shown to be Mayan/Aztec in some of the concept art. There could also be an explore/play zone among the landscaping north of the rapids ride).
4. Treasure Cove (with a new PotC emphasizing screens - probably the park's headlining attraction. Likely an explore zone and a Tortuga/Port Royal village area with retail and dining).
5. Fantasyland (the green area directly east of the castle is a hedge maze. The fairy tale boat ride that goes under the castle takes up the whole center of the land. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is on the east side. Above it is a Pooh area with a ride based on the MK attraction and a Hunny Pot spinner (teacups). On the west side, just below Toy Story Land is a building labeled Peter Pan's Flight. The large show-building at the northwest of the land is an unknown. I would hope for a LPS darkride, but it could also be a high-capacity indoor theater for musicals. There was a rumor Snuggly Duckling might be one of the dining options.
6. Toy Story Land (very similar to the others).
7. Tomorrowland (the big building with the twisty thing leading to it is labeled Tron Lightcycles. An orbitron-style spinner (potentially jet-packs) is at the southeast of the land. Another building I can't identify. I've heard there will be a Stitch presence).

Now, can anyone in-the-know fill in the blanks, make corrections, tell us of changes?

Wait I thought @WDW1974 said this would be the park that would have a Marvel presence. Is that not the case anymore?

I also remember various insiders claiming this would be a radical departure from the older Disneyland designs and be more modern but from what I'm seeing and the descriptions it sounds to me like a more fleshed out version of Hong Kong Disneyland. It's no Euro Disneyland or Tokyo disney sea that's for sure.

the.dreamfinder

Wait I thought @WDW1974 said this would be the park that would have a Marvel presence. Is that not the case anymore?

I also remember various insiders claiming this would be a radical departure from the older Disneyland designs and be more modern but from what I'm seeing and the descriptions it sounds to me like a more fleshed out version of Hong Kong Disneyland. It's no Euro Disneyland or Tokyo disney sea that's for sure.
HKDL gets Marvel, SDL gets Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom