Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiveMeTheMusic

I actually liked the show at WDW MGM. Even for those that may not have liked it, it better than what's there now :lookaround. Another example of removing something without a replacement.

The show was fabulous. Far better than Beauty and the Beast ever hoped to be - no lip syncing or ginormous foam objects. The show at DL was even better, and the mere mention of it around a APer will provoke the vapors.

John

Yes. I can't say I'd think much of anyone's tastes who actually likes WDW fries. They are the worst. No debating. End of story. Godawful.

There is only one thing worse then their fries.....its their burgers.....just horrible. They have grill marks on them and no where is there a open flame grill. They have them sprayed on with food color I suppose. Burgers are no longer freshly made but premade offsite and then reheated onsite.

John

A couple fun facts about 5 Guys.....there are no freezers on the premises of any 5 Guys franchises....the burgers and fries are made daily. All 5 guys franchises are completely sold out in North America. You can not buy a new franchise....you may be able to buy an existing one but all potential area/districts for franchises are sold out.

If we are talking pizza.....as you see in my avatar.....that is the worlds best pizza, bar none. A one location mom and pop place that makes their own sauce and dough on site. Forget NY......fahgetabout Chigago.....no the best pizza in the country is located about 12 miles east of Baltimore MD......just ask John Travolta.

lazyboy97o

A couple fun facts about 5 Guys.....there are no freezers on the premises of any 5 Guys franchises....the burgers and fries are made daily. All 5 guys franchises are completely sold out in North America. You can not buy a new franchise....you may be able to buy an existing one but all potential area/districts for franchises are sold out.

In-N-Out Burger similarly has no freezers at their restaurants and makes everything fresh on site. The big difference is that they do not franchise. Each location is owned by the company which remains owned by Lynsi Torres, granddaughter of the founders.

culturenthrills

So LR is only gonna make 50 million this extended holiday weekend. So it looks like it might barely get to 110-120 million in North America. That is a huge disappointment. Even if it does well in the rest of the world. That means both of Disney's big tentpoles this year, LR and OZ, will have under performed. So it seems like in The Weatherman's quest for brands the ones he has acquired are doing well but Disney's homegrown stuff is having issues. They better hope they have a good script for Pirates 5 cause I am wondering if the public is getting tired of Depp in crap. He can be great when he has a good script.

Kuhio

On the subject of Hunchback, I'm inbetween the sides of "they ruined it!" and "it's a masterpiece". When the movie works, it's amazing (the opening is the best of any DAC, without question), but it has its glaring flaws too ("A Guy Like You", anything with Hugo). I think all of TWDC wasn't exactly 100% sure on how to do it. The director's wanted more slapstick, I think the MBAs were scared of it not appealing to children. ...

I completely agree. I really appreciate how grown-up Hunchback is. The gargoyles and slapstack seem very much like they belong in a different movie... like they were added because Disney was afraid that Frollo singing about his unholy for a gypsy woman would tank the movie if there weren't some "family friendly" elements in there. But you don't need fart jokes to make a movie family friendly... I think they should have tried harder to make the movie lighter without having Jason Alexander joke about, "Pour the wine and cut the cheese!" (it's very jarring to then hear a beautiful song like "God Save the Outcasts" in the same movie).

Haha so did I! They added Mulan too. Will catch that tomorrow after my Saturday morning shopping.

Mulan is another great -- and underrated -- '90s WDAS movie. Alhough none of the movies that followed The Lion King achieved the same box office success, they were all very good films in their own right, each with its unique charms. (Although I didn't care for the character designs of Hercules, I still find its songs incredibly catchy. And in what other movie are you going to hear Charlton Heston say, "You go, girl?")

GiveMeTheMusic

So it seems like in The Weatherman's quest for brands the ones he has acquired are doing well but Disney's homegrown stuff is having issues.

I think that's part of the problem. The Lone Ranger and Oz aren't homegrown - they're acquisitions/adaptations in their own right. It's part of Hollywood's complete lack of creativity.

Cody5242

I
So LR is only gonna make 50 million this extended holiday weekend. So it looks like it might barely get to 110-120 million in North America. That is a huge disappointment. Even if it does well in the rest of the world. That means both of Disney's big tentpoles this year, LR and OZ, will have under performed. So it seems like in The Weatherman's quest for brands the ones he has acquired are doing well but Disney's homegrown stuff is having issues. They better hope they have a good script for Pirates 5 cause I am wondering if the public is getting tired of Depp in crap. He can be great when he has a good script.
OZ actually was successful. It made $234 domestically and $491 worldwide. I think OZ underperformed overseas but I'm sure Disney made some sort of profit. It's final tally sure was better then what most people were expecting

Animaniac93-98

Oz's failings are to do with its costs more than popularity when compared with PoP, SA, Tron etc. I see it made $13.2 million in US Blu-ray sales its first week of release, accouting for a little less than half of the DVD/Blu-ray split (so prob $20+ million in total).

This movie's gonna generate $300+ million in domestic box office, home video, rental, cable etc. sales, but it's still a failure based on its production budget. I'll let Iger sink that in for the next time he wants to blow a similar sized figure on just making these things.

lazyboy97o

All this burger talk and Burgerfi and Shakeshack never come up? Y'all disappoint me.

BurgerFi has a location opening soon near me and I have heard good things. The exterior signage is disappointing as all that is legible is "Burger" since "Fi" just blends into everything else around it.

John

In-N-Out Burger similarly has no freezers at their restaurants and makes everything fresh on site. The big difference is that they do not franchise. Each location is owned by the company which remains owned by Lynsi Torres, granddaughter of the founders.

That's probably why they havnt reached certain parts of the country......yet. I have never been to one.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I didn't like Mulan until I was an adult...same with hunchback. I appreciate them much more now than I did when I was younger and saw them in the theatre. Ditto lion king. I rediscovered that one as a teenager. Mom had taken me to see it when it was released and I didn't like it. Now, I love it. It's easily one of my favorites.

I wish there was a 90's land at wdw. Mulan, lion king... Maaaaan. What awesome rides you could come up with for those. Instead, toy story. Stitch. Garbage. Specifically, stitch. One of few disney movies I can't sit through without wanting to go on a murdering spree. Who the hell came up with that one? And how is it so popular? :(

Mr Bill

The fries at WDW are pretty bad. They're edible, but I can't think of a single fast food restaurant whose fries I'd rank WDW's above. It's hard to believe that these were the best choice out of 40-something different varieties that Cockerell narrowed down from. But I'm sure the 5% savings Disney has realized from buying a single variety in bulk means it's all worthwhile on the almighty spreadsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom