Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtle

Both hand-drawn and CG have their own advantages and disadvantages. Disney didn't "abandon" their art form, they're just evolving like the rest of the world. Hand-drawn will never die and will stay in student films and animated TV shows.

But when it comes down to it, the most important thing is how the story is told.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
She has a very minor part, and although there's some annoying shtick with her leg, she's not significant enough to make a difference either way.

Reviews are supposed to be embargoed until July 3rd, and there's a reason for that...

My guess for the final outcome: 30% on RT with a much higher score from audiences. Not high enough to prevent it from being a flop, but higher.

Ouch, call the engineers the tent is caving in...

Animaniac93-98

Go see Despicable Me 2. It delivers on the laughs and frentic truly cartoon action enough to make up for the lack of emotional pull the original had. Much loling and awwing from the audience. No Julie Andrews, though. And dont bother staying until the end of the credits as their isn't anything there but the UNI parks and resorts logo (was there supposed to be a tie in commercial at the end?).

MerlinTheGoat

I know some people won't agree, but I think this:

Brave-Wallpaper-brave-32098536-1920-1181.jpg

Has just as much artistic merit as this:

Snow-White.jpg

The tools don't matter to me, it's how their used that counts.
That's a very poor and unfair comparison for several reasons. The Snow White pic you posted is from an actual scene in the movie and is consistently the quality of animation throughout (some shots a bit moreso than the above). The Brave pic on the other hand is a poster and not at all indicative of the quality of animation in the actual movie. No part of the actual movie contains animation or art anywhere close to the level seen in that poster (i've seen it twice now, most recently this past week). In fact, the environment background in that picture has a very hand drawn look. If that image WAS actually done via CGI, they edited it heavily to make it not look like CGI. Even Merida in that pic looks far superior to her in-movie version. I wish the movie DID look as good as that, which it unfortunately does not even come close... If CGI movies actually looked like that poster then i'd be far more impressed with them.

Agreed.

If both were new today, I'd take Brave in a heartbeat.

I'm not really an animation fan. I tolerate it on occasion. (Unless its anime. No tolerance for that at all.)

I also think it's all about the story, but that said...it's gotta be pleasing to my eye or I won't bother with it.
At this point, I doubt I'd ever watch Snow White again.
I was very disappointed with Brave. It's the first Pixar movie that actually managed to bore me throughout a large portion of it (even the much hated Cars 2 was at least still pretty entertaining). I'd say overall it's the first Pixar movie I actually dislike, not sure if i'll watch it again.

I'd take Snow White over it any day. Its story hasn't aged well at all (and the characters are blatantly stereotypical of the perceptions of their time), but it still has a ton of charm along with lovely art and fun songs (and while I am highly annoyed by Snow White herself, I really like the dwarfs). There's a ton of flaws with Snow White, but it still does something for me that Brave does not- entertains me.

Though I am a huge animation fan (not big into anime either, but I make a huge exception for Studio Ghibli, though not entirely sure whether that actually counts as true anime...). I again don't care HOW a movie was made as long as it looks artistically good. And I just don't think CGI looks that good in a lot of cases (rare exceptions). If CGI eventually gets to the point where it can look like more traditional animation (like the Brave poster above), then i'll be pretty satisfied. It's not there though.

Animaniac93-98

I'll always laugh at those who say Bluth copied Disney. He WAS Disney. He started as an inbetweener on Sleeping Beauty and worked his way up to Directing Animator on Rescuers, Small One, Fox and the Hound, Pete's Dragon. He did some experimental work while still with them and when he was told the studio didn't want to spend the money it used to on its features (or bother commit to dramatic material in Fox/Hound's case) he left and found critical and commerical success in the 80s with other projects. His 90s duds (except Anastasia) are what they are, but he was far from useless in the field of animation.

And anyone who rejects anime for thinking it's all Pokemon deserves to be slapped with a copy of Spirited Away. ;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's a very poor and unfair comparison for several reasons. The Snow White pic you posted is from an actual scene in the movie and is consistently the quality of animation throughout (some shots a bit moreso than the above). The Brave pic on the other hand is a poster and not at all indicative of the quality of animation in the actual movie. No part of the actual movie contains animation or art anywhere close to the level seen in that poster (i've seen it twice now, most recently this past week). In fact, the environment background in that picture has a very hand drawn look. If that image WAS actually done via CGI, they edited it heavily to make it not look like CGI. Even Merida in that pic looks far superior to her in-movie version. I wish the movie DID look as good as that, which it unfortunately does not even come close... If CGI movies actually looked like that poster then i'd be far more impressed with them.

I completely disagree...

384526a3def792f5_large.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

Not all "anime" is Fighting Seizure Robots ;) which even I know despite my very limited experience with it. If Ghibli isn't "true anime", I don't know what is.
I know that. I actually do consider Ghibli true anime, but i'm not sure whether that's a universal agreement. Regardless, my praise for Ghibli's gorgeous animation has no bounds. It's absolutely gorgeous and i'm so happy they're still making movies that way.

Californian Elitist

I was very disappointed with Brave. It's the first Pixar movie that actually managed to bore me throughout a large portion of it (even the much hated Cars 2 was at least still pretty entertaining). I'd say overall it's the first Pixar movie I actually dislike, not sure if i'll watch it again.

I'd take Snow White over it any day. Its story hasn't aged well at all (and the characters are blatantly stereotypical of the perceptions of their time), but it still has a ton of charm along with lovely art and fun songs (and while I am highly annoyed by Snow White herself, I really like the dwarfs). There's a ton of flaws with Snow White, but it still does something for me that Brave does not- entertains me.

Though I am a huge animation fan (not big into anime either, but I make a huge exception for Studio Ghibli, though not entirely sure whether that actually counts as true anime...)

Brave is the most boring film Disney has recently come up with. BORING. So boring I couldn't even finish it. I'm still trying to figure out how it beat Wreck-It Ralph and Frankenweenie for Best Animated Picture. As a matter of fact, all he contenders for that award were all better than boring Brave. Snow White trumps its any day for me as well.

I prefer hand-drawn animation, but I enjoy both. Doesn't matter to me.

MerlinTheGoat

I completely disagree...

384526a3def792f5_large.jpg
And I disagree with your disagreement. No offense, but that looks nowhere close to the poster. This looks very clearly CGI, the poster you linked to actually looks like it could very well be hand drawn (it may not be, but they certainly made it LOOK hand drawn).

NoChesterHester

Brave is the most boring film Disney has recently come up with. BORING. So boring I couldn't even finish it. I'm still trying to figure out how it beat Wreck-It Ralph and Frankenweenie for Best Animated Picture. As a matter of fact, all he contenders for that award were all better than boring Brave. Snow White trumps its any day for me as well.

While I don't agree with "boring" I do agree that Wreck It Ralph was superior that year.

SJN1279

Frankenweenie was amazing and I feel it should have won best animated picture. Brave was beyond any level of awful.....the fact it won the Oscar was downright disturbing!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And I disagree with your disagreement. No offense, but that looks nowhere close to the poster. This looks very clearly CGI, the poster you linked to actually looks like it could very well be hand drawn (it may not be, but they certainly made it LOOK hand drawn).

Why is that "looks CGI" a derogatory comment, and "looks hand drawn" is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom