Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

The constant thing I hear is "for what I pay at Disney, I expect individual service". I don't want to be treated like I am just part of the crowd. Well, to bad skippy, that is what you are and unless you can convince everyone else to stay home while you are there, that scenario will remain.

I said premium service, not individual. That means waiting no longer than 10 minutes for a bus. That means my bus not stopping 4-5 times between my bus stop and my destination.

They charge a premium for that service, they need to deliver.

For a company that makes a 5 Billion dollar profit, they cant cry poverty on this.

Goofyernmost

WDW guests don't expect individual service; they expect better service.
By individual service I meant that they look at buses as just a car with thyroid problems. Most are not used to ever using public transit and get the opinion that it works the same as jumping in one's car and going wherever. There is nothing wrong with having and demanding something that is doable, but, when one expects that what is offered is not top notch without knowing what they should be expecting from bus transportation, then the expecting is unreasonable. Anything can be better, but at some point in time, people have to come to grips with reality and also have to know just exactly what better is and have some general, realistic idea of how to achieve it.

At best, bus transit is not ideal. It contains many, many non-controllable elements such as smelly people, delays when the demand is higher than what can be reasonably kept ahead of. In order to have enough buses loading at the same time the bus stops would be 2 miles long.

They might be able to come up with another method of transportation that is better, but a bus, is a bus, is a bus! You know, "silk purse out of a sows ear" expectations are not doable. That is all I am saying...there are other options for us as individuals. In the case of Disney transportation, they have invested a lot in new equipment, the payroll for that many drivers will totally send most of us into shock, maintenance, fuel, support people, mechanics, etc. are huge. Buildings that are used to repair or just do general maintenance are not free. Anyone that thinks that thousands of people storming the buses after Wishes can be solved in any manner are living in a world of dreams.

Define what "better" is first. Second, be realistic about what can or even should happen that can make that better and not have a huge amount of other problems come up because of it. In this case I'm thinking in the lines of "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". It's easy to say, well do this or do that, and think that would solve the problem. I know that I am in the minority here when I say that based on my experience with public transit, knowing the difference between massive busing systems and moderate sized that WDW really is, knowing that peak hours are not often enough on a daily basis to justify massive expansion of the fleet and qualified CDL drivers, I think that they do a damn good job.

That is the extent of my discussing this issue. The only reason why I got into it to begin with is to present something for people to think about when getting upset about the fact that reality's don't always fall into place with individual expectations. They are never going to, so we as the users have to make a decision. That decision is to either accept it for what it is or deal with our own controllable option. That option would be having our own transportation available and using it. It's not having expectation of grandeur from something that was only meant to be a way to get from park to hotel to park, etc. A free, no-frills way to not have to drive around.

71jason

My guess is people are waiting for later. I'm still expecting phase 4 by 845

You may be right--it rained fairly early today--but then again, at DTD last night, I'd say fully 80% of the crowd wouldn't know July 4 is any different from July 22. Independence Day not as important when you cater to an international market.

Also, while I trust the Spirit that it's not exactly the same as the 3rd/4th, the extended fireworks the other 5 days this week might be spreading the crowds out a bit.

71jason

Spirited Wednesday Musings: ... how's Flamingo Crossing coming along? ... Um, OK, any actual construction at DD yet? ...

Haven't been sent one myself (living a block into Polk County and the Tampa media market), but King Bob at the Save PI blog--coolest of the lifestylers if only because he cares more about go-go girls than fanbois--reports Splitsville has sent out mailers to locals offering 20% off bowling, food, booze and merchandise. This after they were forced to shut down much of the upstairs 6 nights a week. Did I mention I've never seen the same bartender there twice (and I drink a lot)? Nor has the empty shop next to Curl been filled.

If TDO was courting me to open a new adult-skewing table-service restaurant, I would probably take all of the above into account.

HMF

I know some people won't agree, but I think this:

Brave-Wallpaper-brave-32098536-1920-1181.jpg

Has just as much artistic merit as this:

Snow-White.jpg

The tools don't matter to me, it's how their used that counts.
I agree but why can't we have both, rather than have one replace the other.

El Grupo

Spirited Wednesday Musings: ... Anyone want to tell me that the MK is busier than it ever has been when it didn't even pull in 30,000 yesterday? ...

Any thoughts on how the unusually low numbers during a peak attendance week will be received in Burbank? Any chance we see healthy scrambling to change the park strategy.

I would hope that someone is yelling "It's the week of the 4th and all is NOT well!!"

HenryMystic

Haven't been sent one myself (living a block into Polk County and the Tampa media market), but King Bob at the Save PI blog--coolest of the lifestylers if only because he cares more about go-go girls than fanbois--reports Splitsville has sent out mailers to locals offering 20% off bowling, food, booze and merchandise. This after they were forced to shut down much of the upstairs 6 nights a week. Did I mention I've never seen the same bartender there twice (and I drink a lot)? Nor has the empty shop next to Curl been filled.

If TDO was courting me to open a new adult-skewing table-service restaurant, I would probably take all of the above into account.
They made such a great decision 5 years ago...:rolleyes:

(and I drink a lot
:eek:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree but why can't we have both, rather than have one replace the other.

Find enough people to make it worthwhile to invest years into a hand drawn film project vs other types of production. There are reasons people don't like producing those types of films anymore. Tying resources up for many years is risky AND expensive. If I can only produce half as many films vs other formats... that's a huge opportunity loss.

There is also something to be said about the tastes of the gen pop. It will be interesting to see how these Mickey shorts are received.. as they have the a 2D look 'similar' to cell animation.. but without the classic burdens of cell animation production. If those projects don't get high regards.. Disney will take the message that the style AND production are both out of favor..

Cody5242

MK is very crowded today. Stitch had a 40 min wait and I had to wait 25 min just to ride the train. Leaving now and going to go hangout at the GF for a while

Lee

Adventurer
I know some people won't agree, but I think this:

Brave-Wallpaper-brave-32098536-1920-1181.jpg

Has just as much artistic merit as this:

Snow-White.jpg

The tools don't matter to me, it's how their used that counts.
Agreed.

If both were new today, I'd take Brave in a heartbeat.

I'm not really an animation fan. I tolerate it on occasion. (Unless its anime. No tolerance for that at all.)

I also think it's all about the story, but that said...it's gotta be pleasing to my eye or I won't bother with it.
At this point, I doubt I'd ever watch Snow White again.

PhotoDave219

Park ops has their NYE crowd plan happening. All spokes from the hub will be exit while liberty square will be the entrance.

Guests are being directed to park exit through backstage to Park 1 as well as from the Paza Restaurant gate.

Crowds are higher then earlier. Feels 50s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom