Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

71jason

I have come to actually dislike computer animation in the manner that Pixar and now Disney is using. I feel it cheapens the experience and looks artistically worse. I don't hate it because of the way it was made because I still love the animation in movies that were traditionally animated but done so with the help of better computer tools (and i love computers in general being a bit of a tech geek). But I dislike it because I find that it just looks plain bad artistically compared to traditionally hand drawn animation.

I will say I'm disappointed Pixar and Dreamworks both seem to have adopted a set computer animation "style" which other studios just seem to ape. (In fairness, the same thing happened with the "Disney" style of hand-drawn animation, as copied by Don Bluth and others.) Why can't we have a full-length animated feature in the style of "The Deathly Hallows" sequence in Potter 7.1, or the prologue of Tangled?

RSoxNo1

So, you are saying that Jim Hill's info about Star Wars info being announced at D23 is probably outdated, no?
Yes, he said as much on Facebook. He said the info from that podcast was accurate as of the time he said it (after speaking with contacts at WDI). He then suggested that there is a slight chance that this was misdirection so that it's more impactful.

The Mom

Premium Member
Really not sure what she was getting at with that question?
flynnibus said "So if I were to use hand tools.. and create crap output... you'd still praise my output for the HOW?"

I was responding to this. Yes, if my child did the best he/she could do using hand tools produced something for me that would be considered crap by you, and the rest of the world, I would still praise the output.

I have purchased hand made pottery, for example, that is not as "perfect" or functional as that created by a machine, but I appreciate it more because of the process. Someone who wants perfection, or something that can be used in the microwave, etc. might consider it crap.

Goofyernmost

I think the first way to begin fixing the transportation system (and crowd control for that matter) is for George to require middle management and up to be in MK for Wishes (in plain clothes/no name tag) and then try to leave the park and take a bus back to whichever resort they park at. It would improve tons and would do so very quickly. I'm sorry for suggesting something that Walt might have done but I have a suspicion that it would work.
Middle management, no! They already are painfully aware of the problems. Upper management, maybe, but my experience is that they will only screw it up even more.

Disney knows that the problem exists but they have to settle on a situation. They are not about to double the cost of transportation just because once a day, at park closing (MK) they have a problem getting everyone out easily. They knew going in, that it was going to be a problem, but they had to accept that it was one that was going to have to be weathered. It's simple really...there are more people getting on buses then it is physically possible to accommodate at that time. The only way that the process gets speeded up at all is by loading as many buses as possible simultaneously. Then they would all get grid locked trying to get moving again.

The constant thing I hear is "for what I pay at Disney, I expect individual service". I don't want to be treated like I am just part of the crowd. Well, to bad skippy, that is what you are and unless you can convince everyone else to stay home while you are there, that scenario will remain.

My read on this is that even though I have been critical of the loss of Magic in the parks, I still believe it is worth what you pay for the parks portion. When it costs 20 bucks for a person to attend a 1 hour, 45 minute movie. How is even paying $100.00 for 12 or more hours of continuous entertainment considered expensive. Frankly, it isn't. What is expensive is staying at the resorts and that, my friends is completely voluntary on your part. I don't stay in them and I don't have to deal with buses ever. I chose to do that because contrary to popular belief driving in WDW is no big deal and it is much faster. However, that doesn't alter the fact that just because you pay a lot of money for a place to lay your head, it does not mean that the laws of physical movement can be altered to any significant degree.

I know it sounds like I am defending Disney or what Spirit would refer to as "a fanboi", but this problem is not Disney exclusive. It comes with the territory of public transportation. I have spent years in the business of public transportation and it just causes me to shudder when I hear people say...this is just unacceptable or they can give me the service I want and outside, real life, situations will not be considered. All spoken by people that have no clue as the the inner workings for such a system, the costs or the realities of what is possible and what isn't. Yes, the buses are a problem from time to time, but they are reality based and not "Pixie Dust" driven. Just because you are at Disney does not mean that all the world has gone away. Some things cannot be anticipated or realistically fixed.

Some of the things that can help would be light rail, and considering the other impossibilities that Disney has over come in the past, building one that bridges over or under road ways and fenced in like the bullet trains are, could solve a lot of it. Having bus lanes only, would help but when you think about how entitled everyone is, how long do you think it would be before someone saw that empty lane and decided that there was no reason why they couldn't us it. Bottom line...if you want or insist that staying onsite is the only way then you have to put up with the downside of that decision. That would be having to use a less then magical, utility transportation system. What you do not want is a bunch more of the "broke down in the sky" Monorails. Even brand new equipment will break down break down but when it breaks down 30 feet of the ground, a whole different set off problems crop up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I know some people won't agree, but I think this:

Brave-Wallpaper-brave-32098536-1920-1181.jpg

Has just as much artistic merit as this:

Snow-White.jpg

The tools don't matter to me, it's how their used that counts.

PhotoDave219

Missed photographing a stellar sunset in San Fran earlier this year because I stopped for In-N-Out. It was worth it. Risked missing a flight in San Jose for some In-N-Out. It would've been worth it.

Animal Style is glorious. Part of me thinks it would even make their shakes better.

You know better.

Sunset > fast food.

ParentsOf4

The constant thing I hear is "for what I pay at Disney, I expect individual service". I don't want to be treated like I am just part of the crowd. Well, to bad skippy, that is what you are and unless you can convince everyone else to stay home while you are there, that scenario will remain.
WDW guests don't expect individual service; they expect better service.

As a matter of standard practice, WDW used to routinely provide superior service at a lower inflation adjusted price. WDW once was considered a Gold Standard service provider, not just in the theme park industry but across all industries. There was a time in the 1980s and 1990s where WDW constantly was cited as a premier example of what highly profitable companies can do to excel. Premium service providers looked towards WDW as a model of how to run their high-end businesses.

Not anymore.

Highly profitable isn't good enough anymore.

Charging $150/night for a $30/night room isn't profitable enough for corporate Disney anymore.

Everything at WDW has been "value engineered" almost beyond recognition.

WDW's focus is no longer on wowing its "guests". Instead, its focus has devolved into what corners can be cut? How much can the product be cheapened and still not be noticed by most "guests"? How much can prices be increased?

Those in WDW management who believed in the "Disney Difference" were forced out years ago.

WDW has become Wal-Mart.

WDW is a shadow of its former self.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Wednesday Musings: Normally, watching @The Mom and @flynnibus battle over animation would be worthy of ordering pizza, opening the tequila and inviting the neighbors. ... That Angie Dickinson can still make my toes tingle (and other parts too!) ... Whether Lone Ranger was a good film or not, why do I get the idea that there was a concerted effort to just rip it? ... OK, already, I still haven't seen actual proof, but I'm going along with it ... Kong is returning to UNI. ... Anyone want to tell me that the MK is busier than it ever has been when it didn't even pull in 30,000 yesterday? ... Back to the cinema, but I must have missed it when all the Disney Lifestylers had also become film critics. Journalism dying is very dangerous in a democracy as you see above, but it takes other forms. When did taking photos of DVC construction or blogging about a meal at Be Our Guest or having a Disney parks podcast make you a writer and film critic? As someone who got his start in media working as a PAID film critic for a real journalism organization, and has years of professional training, I sorta vomit a bit when I see every Lifestyler and their boyfriend get into free MEDIA screenings. ... If you think the rumors of Sea World selling Busch Gardens aren't legit, then you haven't see the cutbacks they've enacted throughout the chain. ... Of course, Disney is synonymous with cutbacks too, right? ... Prediction: WDW wil have a very dead August and hours and attraction closures will result. ... Lunch, that great time of day when you don't have to think about dinner. ... how's Flamingo Crossing coming along? ... Um, OK, any actual construction at DD yet? ... No, Poly DVC hasn't started. Work is being done on rehabbing rooms right now, but I wouldn't expect those giant dumpsters to move anywhere as the GFV are racing toward completion. ... Can anyone here list everything that was supposed to go into HKDL, but didn't (yes, I can ... without even pulling the press kit and internal docs I have)? ... You know you're getting older when your in-box is full of free B-Day offers, most of which amount to a free dessert that you don't even want. ... You know you're dealing with a monied elitist when she slums it, finds a towel animal (not Winky @CBOMB) and has no idea that this is a common thing in the resort and hospitality industry provided you aren't staying at the Four Seasons. ... If you really need a good laugh, read Disney Lifestylers on Twitter. ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, and since I don't want to take a holiday going back and forth on the animation issue, I'll state my views simply and succinctly (yes, for once, @Lee).

I care about the quality of the story and the animation and NOT the medium thru which the world was brought to life. Either the story is good or it isn't, either I care about the characters or I don't.

That said, the notion that traditional animation is dead or that one form is better than the other is crazy.

tissandtully

@WDW1974 No thoughts on the new ride at Legoland? I can't believe how cheap the whole thing looks. Anyone think they rushed this or is this LEGO SOP?

http://www./2013/07/inside-the-worl...on-with-interactive-quest-for-chi-water-ride/

BryceM

@WDW1974 No thoughts on the new ride at Legoland? I can't believe how cheap the whole thing looks. Anyone think they rushed this or is this LEGO SOP?

http://www./2013/07/inside-the-worl...on-with-interactive-quest-for-chi-water-ride/
You really can't compare the kind of themed environments Legoland puts out to Disney or Universal. I think, that for Legoland, it looks good. That queue for the ride looks very nice. However; the floating mountain looks terrible. They should've just not that built that.

tissandtully

You really can't compare the kind of themed environments Legoland puts out to Disney or Universal. I think, that for Legoland, it looks good. That queue for the ride looks very nice. However; the floating mountain looks terrible. They should've just not that built that.

Does it look good? Did you watch the video? You can see unpainted control boxes and almost none of the characters move or anything when you shoot them. I will say I haven't been to Legoland since our son isn't old enough yet, but, I will have to check it out once he gets to that age.

asianway

Back to the cinema, but I must have missed it when all the Disney Lifestylers had also become film critics. Journalism dying is very dangerous in a democracy as you see above, but it takes other forms. When did taking photos of DVC construction or blogging about a meal at Be Our Guest or having a Disney parks podcast make you a writer and film critic? As someone who got his start in media working as a PAID film critic for a real journalism organization, and has years of professional training, I sorta vomit a bit when I see every Lifestyler and their boyfriend get into free MEDIA screenings. ....

Not sure if youre seen the new cottage industry popping up. Apparently you can get one of these folks to come report on the opening of your new rib joint, pizzeria, or used car dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom