Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

djlaosc

Having been on most commercial airliners models and their variants I can say the Tri-Star was the most comfortable I've ever flown on and those Rolls Royce engines were silky smooth. My transatlantic trips to Florida are still on the 747-400s which are still more than adequate, but Virgin Atlantic are in the process of converting to Airbus A330s, which err on the side of snug to say the least.

Virgin have announced that from next summer they are moving back to 747s from Manchester/Gatwick, the A330s are moving to the Caribbean route.

Longhairbear

Spirited Monday Musings II: Not because I can't stop typing, but because my computer caught a nasty virus and sorta likes shutting down with no warning at all. And unlike you pesky kids, I do not like typing anything of substance on a tablet or phone. ... Heard a great tale that WDW AP sales are way down now versus five years ago and that is why they didn't see substantial price increases last month. ... Yes, that means despite what you often read (usually on Miceage and usually about DLR) Disney isn't trying to cull the herd of APers. They'd like even more APers -- even in Anaheim -- just paying vastly more to get in. ...What do you think about Vegas in July? ... Do NOT read anything into the D23 non announcement regarding no announcements at the Expo as far as what actually is coming. Things are still moving ahead on the Studios project as well as Anaheim projects. ... I do wonder at this point if Disney is afraid to put the Shanghai roster out to the world, knowing that many American fanbois will rip on it and the Chinese will read this and force changes on them. ... No, I still haven't see Monsters U and World War Z. Spending time trying to convince people you are yourself can take up your time so that you wouldn't know what day it was if not for good old Moe's and their Monday burrito special. ... Why is it that I hear more positive buzz coming from the left coast about Planes than I do about the Lone Ranger? ... If you're really looking forward to seeing Thor 2, the chances are I wouldn't like you. ... The MK isn't the worst Disney park on the planet, but it is the worst castle park. ... Oh well, I know no one watches network TV, but us old farts and Under The Dome is about to start, so I'll see you all a little later.
We can't wait to see Planes, LR not so much. The hubby, and I watched OZ on Blu Ray last night and loved it. We are going to watch it again with neighbors for our regular movie nights.

Jane Doe

I opened 20 some odd locations...and the worst to staff was the NYC area stores (Brooklyn was all mine, with the help of another trainer and a close friend at the time...)...Queens and Bronx were both nightmares as well though...

Finding people who actually give a crap about what they are doing is so difficult in larger cities. They always want to be more than what they are, and don't realize that work gets you there. Smaller cities are more ripe for the picking, though that depends on the area as well. SC, for example, is just a sump-hole with respect to that...

Muskegon, I literally had people BEGGING for jobs, and taking it all very seriously. Same with Superior, CO (and Superior isn't exactly small town). SC, I had people who had been unemployed for 2 years telling me that 1 buck above min wage was too cheap, so they turned it down (with no skills to present)... <facepalms>

Long story, but it's a dynamic I found very interesting...

Best McDonalds this side of the pond are in the restaurants that have to be driven to. We only have one McDonald's within a fifteen mile radius of home (on a major road) but the fries are always hot and the burgers always fresh, I guess it's as a result of not wanting food sat there and having to have to throw it away at the end of the day. Also being so far out from the houses results in no kids loitering around creating a much better atmosphere than the city locations. The city centre locations here in the North West of England are exactly as described in the USA, dirty with poor food and all kinds of oddballs sat around, so we generally avoid them, once you get in your car and start moving out of the city to those with a drive through the quality of the restaurants and the food gradually improves.

Best Big Mac and fries (the acid test for Mc Donald's) I've ever had was in Dubai. All burgers were made to order and the restaurants were immaculate.

Jane Doe

Virgin have announced that from next summer they are moving back to 747s from Manchester/Gatwick, the A330s are moving to the Caribbean.

I found Virgins A330s to be a bit of a let down. They have great IFE (which was a bonus from Manchester as some of the 747s were nowhere near as up-to-date on that side of things as those flying out of Heathrow or Gatwick) but by gum they were uncomfortable and overly cramped. Manchester has always played second fiddle with regards to aircraft with Virgin, the first time I used them into Orlando we were on a 747-200 which was older than I was, when we arrived at the stand at MCO we parked next to a 747-400 from Gatwick which proudly displayed the wording "Fly The Younger Fleet"! It's only the direct flight that keeps us booking the MAN-MCO route nowadays. Maybe with Thomson using the new 787s, albeit into Sanford, a few heads might be turned that way making Virgin rethink how they look after their passengers on their leisure routes. They won't, but it would be nice to think they would.

articos

I still recall my one flight on one about 15 years ago ... The thing was ancient and felt like it was held together with duct tape and gum (like Disney would do it!) It was a cross country flight and was packed and smoke was pouring out of the AC vents at LAX. It was the only time in my life that I almost got off a plane.

But once in the air, that baby had such a smooth feel. It was like gliding on the clouds. And now they are all long gone because there truly is no more MAGICal plane than a 737-800 or 900 with every seat occupied.
I loved the TriStars. Flew them a lot on Eastern and Delta. Unfortunately in the later years they were falling apart, but when in their prime, they were elegant, smooth and comfortable. Great aircraft. I think there's less than 15 or 20 in service today, sadly. I hate the 37's with a passion.

articos

I found Virgins A330s to be a bit of a let down. They have great IFE (which was a bonus from Manchester as some of the 747s were nowhere near as up-to-date on that side of things as those flying out of Heathrow or Gatwick) but by gum they were uncomfortable and overly cramped. Manchester has always played second fiddle with regards to aircraft with Virgin, the first time I used them into Orlando we were on a 747-200 which was older than I was, when we arrived at the stand at MCO we parked next to a 747-400 from Gatwick which proudly displayed the wording "Fly The Younger Fleet"! It's only the direct flight that keeps us booking the MAN-MCO route nowadays. Maybe with Thomson using the new 787s, albeit into Sanford, a few heads might be turned that way making Virgin rethink how they look after their passengers on their leisure routes. They won't, but it would be nice to think they would.
A -200? Yikes.

BrianLo

I had the best Big Macs this side of Tung Chung

That is an odd reference, even odder is that I've been to that McDonalds... I rarely eat there.

You sound like a Faux Top One Percenter. I like that.

Perhaps the secret is Hong Kong Big Mac Sauce? (No, we both know it isn't ever paying sticker price).

Nothing to add. I just wanted to make sure people read that! Especially the folks who go to WDW 3-4 times a year and stay at Disney resorts and eat every meal there and then say they'd never have the $$$ to visit TDR.

The weather is also really nice here too! I imagine it's gross in Florida in the summer. AND kids aren't on holidays so the parks are bearable right now too.

BrianLo

Anyway, to the TDS discussion...Agree about Journey, but I honestly compare it a lot more to Everest than RSR (which RSR admittedly I haven't been on and only watched videos of). Despite the ride mechanism, they share a lot in common IMO.

That's a good point. I'd say Journey actually falls somewhere in between the two. Not as thrilling as Everest, not as complex a dark ride as RSR. Of course right in between two great attractions (with a working lava monster) is not a bad place to be!

I was thinking about the best use of their remaining expansion pad, I think an Everest style coaster (obviously with whatever amazing theme they would think up) would really work well and compliment the series of offerings they have.

Side note: The expansion pad currently contains A LOT of those potted bushes. I don't know if they are beginning to make a walled shrub or really nothing to get excited about, but I thought it was interesting none the less.

Goofyernmost

If you're a fan of the stunt show, I'm sorry to say I wouldn't expect it to be there in a couple years. He's still in GMR, though.
Sadly for me, almost nothing about what has been "leaked" about the proposed expansion at DHS or any of the other parks, has even started to light a flame for me. I was excited about the Carsland possibility, but then everyone started talking about a watered down version and snuffed out that bit of hope. If some of the other things happen like the loss of the Indy Stunt show and losing the Muppets show (even if a different one is going to replace it) is nothing but depressing to me. Star Wars may have potential, but I am only a minor fan of the franchise. Avatar means absolutely nothing to me.

I don't know what it is going to take to get me excited again, but, whatever it is hasn't been reveled as of yet. The weird thing is that I am usually pretty easy to keep happy. For example, I couldn't care less about Starbucks or the demise of the beloved Cinnamon Roll. The inactivity of the Yeti has absolutely no affect on me whatsoever. I think Under the sea was fairly well done and I am unwilling to blanketly condemn NFE as a nothing project until it is actually completed. Those walls do not an impressive area make! And god save me but I haven't shed a single tear about Spectromagic. I am not concerned about the loss of a limb from the Tree of Life because I have lived long enough to know that flaws exist in the best laid plans and it is way to easy to blame lack of maintenance on something the was designed to not require all that much maintenance. I must be dead on the inside, is all I can think.:(

I'm almost starting to wish I didn't still have six days left on my ten day, non-expiration, park hopper pass. Now I feel obligated to use them before I invest more money in other theme park tickets.

doctornick

I don't know what it is going to take to get me excited again, but, whatever it is hasn't been reveled as of yet. The weird thing is that I am usually pretty easy to keep happy. For example, I couldn't care less about Starbucks or the demise of the beloved Cinnamon Roll. The inactivity of the Yeti has absolutely no affect on me whatsoever. I think Under the sea was fairly well done and I am unwilling to blanketly condemn NFE as a nothing project until it is actually completed. Those walls do not an impressive area make! And god save me but I haven't shed a single tear about Spectromagic. I am not concerned about the loss of a limb from the Tree of Life because I have lived long enough to know that flaws exist in the best laid plans and it is way to easy to blame lack of maintenance on something the was designed to not require all that much maintenance. I must be dead on the inside, is all I can think.:(

I am with you on all this.

However, I am excited about the new potential additions. Big Star Wars fan, so I'd love to finally see more of it -- hopefully in an quality immersive setting -- in the parks. A Cars addition has me in "wait and see" mode about the specifics, as I terribly enjoyed Cars Land in California but I too am hesitent about what "value engineering" will do to the product in DHS. That said, the idea of an indoor dark ride for Cars would potentially be very enjoyable, especially if it includes quality AAs and a good story.

Regarding Avatar, I don't care for the movie at all. But I do think that it would make a great template for a themed environment and I'm optimistic that Cameron's involvement means that the final product will be well done. And I like the talk of a night time show, since that park certainly needs it and would be great with extended hours (though I hope that are more additions than just 1-2 rides in Avatar, to justify the longer hours).

WDWFanDave

So after one day of traveling only by bus/Disney transportation, its a clusterF. I understand why people hate them so much.

On the other hand, I'm looking for a used Prius, low mileage and under $15k

By far, the best transportation experience we've had at WDW in years was our vacation last year...we didn't use the Disney buses once. Drove to Florida, and loved having our car at our disposal. In my own non-scientific estimation, we saved a minimum of 2 hours a day in transport, when you consider the amount of time you have to wait for the buses. 2 hours x 6 days=an extra day of vacation.

Good luck with the Prius hunt! Have several friends who have them and love them.

Goofyernmost

What's really baffling is it doesn't have to be. Disney Transport is fixable. And it wouldn't even require a huge capital spend.
I'm not challenging your statement, but I am asking, out of curiosity, what you think could be done to improve the situation?

MattM

Would someone please pass along merfie's twitter handle. Would like to see the exchange mentioned above. Thanks!

crispy

By far, the best transportation experience we've had at WDW in years was our vacation last year...we didn't use the Disney buses once. Drove to Florida, and loved having our car at our disposal. In my own non-scientific estimation, we saved a minimum of 2 hours a day in transport, when you consider the amount of time you have to wait for the buses. 2 hours x 6 days=an extra day of vacation.

Good luck with the Prius hunt! Have several friends who have them and love them.

We also drive and rarely ever use Disney transportation. It makes for a much happier, less stressful vacation.

baymenxpac

We also drive and rarely ever use Disney transportation. It makes for a much happier, less stressful vacation.

yuuuup. for all the stupid money spent at disney, a rental for the time i'm there is worth the price in gold. although, as one of the few guests on disney roads at any given time that actually knows where they're going, i'm fine that most seem content with taking the buses.

MattM

It takes two to tango...
No @flynnibus, it doesn't take two to tango.

Don't you know that the 30 year old couple/family had a gun forced to their heads when they signed that 600k mortgage instead of a 300k mortgage? (which really, how many 30 year old should be in a 300k house?) Don't you know Discover kidnapped that couples' children and forced them to run up 12k in debt in exchange for their safe return? Don't you know GM harassed them to buy that 45k Tahoe because they could "afford" the monthly payments? (which other than a mortgage, if you have to pay monthly payments, you can't afford it).

Oh, he was joking too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom