Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hmmm..... Count me on the other side of this battlefield which sees the paradigm shifting in favor of a la carte content distribution rather quickly, and frighteningly, if your business model depends on double dipping for revenue (movie theater + Blu-ray/online stream/TV broadcast).

One issue that makes this shift complex is the generation gap. For baby boomers and 35+ adults, the path of least resistance to content will be the old fashioned way: broadcast television, blu ray, and the movie theatre. For younger audiences the path of least resistance to content is Netflix and Hulu. End of story. Game over. I don't even want my cable TV subscription for live sports. Weather.com and guardian.co.uk cover most of my news needs. Whenever something major is going down all the major TV news sites offer live streams. I'm OK with cutting the cord with respect to cable TV, as is most anyone who grew up with the internet.

I think both forms of distribution will exist side by side for a little while but ultimately traditional television is going to fade away in favor of direct internet streaming. I feel confident that by 2023 there will only be two major broadcast networks, probably a handful of cable channels, and then 400 different takes on live sports as that is television's outpost of last resort.

How the movie theater has survived this long is actually somewhat astounding. Especially in this era of everyone walling themselves behind social media and technology. The communal act of viewing movies in a theatre seems downright contradictory to many trends in society.

You are quite correct about the pardigm shifting. I see that and so do the folks that run media companies. But I fundamentally disagree that it is an age equation and that young folks have no need or desire for network TV. They still watch it in droves. Much of it crap like all these singing contests that get huge numbers. But also scripted programming as well. Saying that network TV is going away because young people get their content from Hulu and Netflix is sorta like me saying only snot-nosed kids use iPhones, blog or have FB accounts. We know that folks from 8 to 88 use those new forms of communication.

Ultimately, content is king. And the studios control it and how you get to see it. CBS, FOX, ABC, NBC ... they aren't looking to kill their networks and move content to new platforms as a replacement for old. They're looking to mine the new avenues for distribution while keeping a firm grasp on programming their good old-fashioned networks.

If you look at numbers, and you should be aware by now that I hate numbers (except for big ones on checks made out payable to me!) that some network programming is showing all-time highs in viewership. Look at the Big Bang Theory (especially since many Disney fanbois make that cast of characters look totally normal!) the numbers they are pulling in now after six seasons are amazing. The Inside the Dome miniseries that airied tonight on CBS opened to 13 plus million people last week in the deadest time of the broadcast cycle. Networks are now programming Friday again actively and even Saturday gets some attention, after being given up for dead in the 90s.

People of all ages flock of live TV events whether they are the Super Bowl or the Dancing With the Stars finale.

Just like video not killing radio or TV not killing movies etc ... new platforms won't kill the old. They'll change them, for sure. The picture will be different, but TV has morphed since its inception.

The same is true with theaters and the film industry. You can't beat the experience of going to a cinema with hundreds of strangers (or maybe a few depending on what you are seeing, where and when) and having the group experience of watching a new piece of entertainment on a huge screen with state of the art sound. I don't care how nice your home theater system is (and I have friends with very impressive systems) it isn't the same as watching a new film like Star Trek Into Darkness unspool before your eyes with strangers. And that experience will never be replicated on a phone or tablet. Those are fine for a child on a plane or in a resturant they don't really belong in. People -- most that is -- are not going to give up the cinema to watch Iron Man 3 on their iPhone.

WDW1974

Original Poster
What's your opinion of DM? I think it's garbage and is one of the most overrated animated films ever. I found it very predictable using a tiring formula of a person not liking a group of kids at first but then ends up liking them in the end

I loved it. It was charming and fun. Not particularly deep, but I don't think that matters.

My 73-year-old father liked it (after seeing the first on TV as I did and riding the UNI attraction as I did) so much that he wants to actually see the second one with me in the theater. He hasn't asked me to hold off seeing Monsters U or World War Z so that I can take him!

Taylor

I loved it. It was charming and fun. Not particularly deep, but I don't think that matters.

My 73-year-old father liked it (after seeing the first on TV as I did and riding the UNI attraction as I did) so much that he wants to actually see the second one with me in the theater. He hasn't asked me to hold off seeing Monsters U or World War Z so that I can take him!
I liked Despicable Me. The only problem is that it was the family animated blockbuster after Toy Story 3 and you can't really follow that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Small towns always have the best chain/fast food. The reason being...there...the workers still take pride for working there.

In larger cities, it's seen as a crappy job, and as a result, you get crappy results, generally.

Absolutely. i wasn't just pulling Mississippi and Vermont out of the air ... I had the best Big Macs this side of Tung Chung in locations in tiny towns off the interstate in those states for starters.

WDW1974

Original Poster
People love their tech, but they love their tvs and they love the "event" of going to the theater (the fact they're still surviving shouldn't be a surprise, we're social creatures) and no tech is going to change that. Same reason people go to theme parks and pay outrageous prices and will continue to do so.

TV is making more money than ever. Streaming will have an impact, but its limitations in regards to the things people love with their tvs, soundsystems, HD quality, 3D, isn't going to make anything extinct. Netflix and Hulu still have drawbacks. I canceled both. And really, Netflix would not, could not survive without broadcast TV. None of the streaming companies could, like they couldn't survive without the film industry, the dudes who own the content and make the rules (ask Netflix what happens when they decide to flex their muscle) These streaming companies are really living off their crumbs. Literally.

People have been saying the death of the movie theater was around the corner since the advent of TV. Then independent film was going to topple the movie industry in the 90's. Internet was going to kill broadcast TV in the last decade. The big thing now is that mobile games are sending video games into a death spiral, which is funny when you see the industry profits growing every year, instead of focusing on bloated game companies losing money (EA anyone?) Still waiting...

This. The network heads want to use these new platforms to their fullest, but not a the expense of their current businesses (this isn't Disney deciding that WDW works better as a real estate and hotel company than a themed entertainment venture) ... all of the new techs are designed to supplement network television and movie theaters, to grow the pie for the media companies. It is a win-win situation for them.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Absolutely. i wasn't just pulling Mississippi and Vermont out of the air ... I had the best Big Macs this side of Tung Chung in locations in tiny towns off the interstate in those states for starters.

I opened 20 some odd locations...and the worst to staff was the NYC area stores (Brooklyn was all mine, with the help of another trainer and a close friend at the time...)...Queens and Bronx were both nightmares as well though...

Finding people who actually give a crap about what they are doing is so difficult in larger cities. They always want to be more than what they are, and don't realize that work gets you there. Smaller cities are more ripe for the picking, though that depends on the area as well. SC, for example, is just a sump-hole with respect to that...

Muskegon, I literally had people BEGGING for jobs, and taking it all very seriously. Same with Superior, CO (and Superior isn't exactly small town). SC, I had people who had been unemployed for 2 years telling me that 1 buck above min wage was too cheap, so they turned it down (with no skills to present)... <facepalms>

Long story, but it's a dynamic I found very interesting...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Exactly. Just got back from 2 weeks vacationing in Italy yesterday and I was shocked when I walked by a MCD's near the Spanish Steps and it had a pasta salad dish on the menu to go along with many other high quality offerings (like panini's, brioches and torts, etc.). Not only was it the offerings that caught me off guard, the appearence/look of the restaurant interior wipes the floor of any MCD's I've dined at here in the U.S. Like you said, clean and also very ritzy with mosaics, marble everywhere (kinda felt like it was an unofficial tourist spot or something). I dined there for lunch one of the days I was in Rome and ate the best pasta salad I've ever had. Also saw the Disney Magic the day I went to La Spezia/Cinque Terre. Speaking of the cruise line, have any insight on what DIS plans to do with the Wonder when it gots down for its approximate 5 week drydock starting the week of October 12th (reported by DCL Blog editor Scott Sanders). Any enhancements coming to the ship similar to what the Magic got?

I wondered where you had gone off and disappeared to. Hope you had a great time!

I am not surprised. I dined at a McD's in Milan that had incredible desserts, wine and marble everywhere. Funny, but the burgers also tasted so much better than the crap on a stale bun I am used to in FL.

As to the Wonder, that info sounds very off. The Wonder isn't having any work done this year and next year's scope hasn't been determined yet from what I know. As someone who just had a WONDERful cruise, I would hope the ship sees minimal changes. Since they actually maintain the ships (unlike the O-Town parks) they really don't need to do much.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well the careless spending of 'most folks' also nearly imploded the economy :) I don't know how people do it.. maybe it's the people with smaller families or no families that can keep the industry prop'd up like this. I like going to the movies... but can't stomach it as a family thing. I usually just take one other.. since aligning everyone is hard enough as it is :)

I'm going to ASSume you're just playing around and don't want to start a battle on who really caused the Wall Street meltdown (our government and the Too Greedy To Fail Banks and the Wall Street Ponzi Scheme) not the 30-something family who bought a $600,000 home when they should have been in a $300,000 one at best or people who ran up $12,000 on their Discover Cards and couldn't pay them off because incomes in this country have been flat since Nixon's days ... like I said, gonna just assume you are joking!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Awww, man... That's like the hot girl asking you out, only to tell you she wants to just be friends :(

Sometimes rumors get ahead of themselves. I still don't know for certain that is the case here, but I believe it to be. When I know one way or the other, I'll drop that out here.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nah, there was much more than the Lutz feeding tube. There were lots of great people there... but the Lutz feeding tube is what kept people congregating at THAT watering hole. His articles were the catalyst.. because there really are no other people there posting with any sort of inside information. Even the CM input lately is weak. But when they were focusing on their views and web presence.. they pulled all their content to the front pages and drained the forums of key interactions. Interesting people moved on or were turned off from the heavy handed shaping of posting behaviors. Unfortunately I would call the policy "embrace the stupid" because they tried to enforce a standard where stupid posting/posters was supposed to be treated as an equal and be embraced.

While they tried to diversify and expand their media output.. I think they swamped the place and brought in too many.. especially people that were not interesting at all. They diluted the product with subpar stuff. The getting closer to Disney helped them with their events... but I think it hurt the editorial. Dusty isn't blinded by Disney.. he's just an optimist by nature.

Shoving people out, like my friend TDLFAN (who is more knowledgable about the international parks than anyone I know, including Disney execs and Imagineers) so as not to hurt the feelings of arrested development adults who can't take comments like 'the MK is so ghetto' on face value and not as a personal afront to their religious like fan fervor for Disney was incredibly stupid and short-sighted.

And while they have more content than ever, most isn't worth even looking at. I love Andy Castro's updates (will someone please Tweet this to him because apparently I hurt his feelings when I called him OCD for taking approximately 183 pictures of his DCA Starbucks beverage last year because I felt that was OCD and overkill like using a tank to kill a frog) and will look at Al/Dusty's columns and Kevin Yee's but there just is no there there anymore.

Sorta like MSUSA in the MK.

WDW1974

Original Poster
We still fly 747's to MCO.... You just have to get the right day :) and our 747's are all lovely and refurbished now :)

The only 747s I've flown are United's to Asia and they are ancient and very rough on takeoff and landing and loud. I won't even comment that the flight attendants look like they came with the planes, which date to the 1980s.

Cosmic Commando

Shoving people out, like my friend TDLFAN (who is more knowledgable about the international parks than anyone I know, including Disney execs and Imagineers) so as not to hurt the feelings of arrested development adults who can't take comments like 'the MK is so ghetto' on face value and not as a personal afront to their religious like fan fervor for Disney was incredibly stupid and short-sighted.

And while they have more content than ever, most isn't worth even looking at. I love Andy Castro's updates (will someone please Tweet this to him because apparently I hurt his feelings when I called him OCD for taking approximately 183 pictures of his DCA Starbucks beverage last year because I felt that was OCD and overkill like using a tank to kill a frog) and will look at Al/Dusty's columns and Kevin Yee's but there just is no there there anymore.

Sorta like MSUSA in the MK.

I used to go to Miceage pretty much every day when it was one column, six days a week. Dateline Disneyland, Al/Kevin, the Roundup, something that I normally didn't care about on Thursday, In the Parks and the Weekend thingy. When their content exploded, I knew I didn't have time to read it all, so it became less important for me to stop there at all. Same thing happened with woot.com. Their gimmick is was that they would only offer one thing for sale per day. Then shirt.woot. Then kids.woot. Then tech.woot. I was still OK. Then, they started offering 50,000 (roughly) things per day and there were no more limits and... basically, they killed what made them special to me; I hardly ever go there anymore. I've heard the same thing happened with Disney and the pins: there were lots of people who were completists at the beginning. Had to have every pin. Disney eventually made so many out of greed, so it was obvious nobody would ever be able to have them all. Suddenly, there was no urgency or collectibility any more.

Cosmic Commando

Simple laws of economics. Charge more for a product, fewer will buy it.
Based on recent behavior:
Annual Pass prices up 17.3% in 2 years.
Premium Annual Pass prices up 12.3% in 2 years.
Children under the age of 10 now are charged the full adult AP price.
AP merchandise discount was cut in half.
TIW price went up 33%.
Disney sure is acting like they do not want more AP holders.
Sure, fewer people will buy something if you raise the price, but you won't know how elastic the demand is until you raise prices.

PhotoDave219

The only 747s I've flown are United's to Asia and they are ancient and very rough on takeoff and landing and loud. I won't even comment that the flight attendants look like they came with the planes, which date to the 1980s.

.... so the FA's dont even rank as "Middle of the Ocean Hot?" So sad..... ;)

lazyboy97o

You are quite correct about the pardigm shifting. I see that and so do the folks that run media companies. But I fundamentally disagree that it is an age equation and that young folks have no need or desire for network TV.

This reminds me of my favorite line from War and Peace:
"mentioning 'our days' as people of limited intelligence are fond of doing, imagining that they have discovered and appraised the peculiarities of 'our days' and that human characteristics change with the times."

WDW1974

Original Poster
Figured I'd post this here as @WDW1974 was interested. I am currently at TDR and just spent the late afternoon/evening at Disney Sea. I'll be at the resort for three more days and then will head for things beyond theme parks and Disney for a while (but I am stopping into Universal...)

Sounds great. I am jealous, so keep the reports coming.

I successfully managed to leave my backpack on the Airport shuttle bus in a flurry of excitement I suppose so there will be pictures later. (In addition to my DSLR there was a Macbook Air, iPad, 3DS, Eurail pass + tickets and a Japan rail passes. Oh AND some money just for good measure). Needless to say I had to truck on and hope the hotel staff would get it back for me when the bus returned a few hours later. It obviously nagged on the back of my mind but I am happy to say it returned to me safe and sound. I thanked the concierge incessantly as I proceeded to show them everything in the bag. I will NOT be making that mistake again in China or basically any other country I'm visiting. Only in Japan (and Canada occaisionally). ;)

So some quick thoughts Spirit style (but with bullets). Within reason I'll make sure to check things out or answer any burning questions for people.

Second time I've come to this resort (I've only been to WDW 3 times in my life 95, 06 and 12, Cali twice in the last year or so, Hong Kong a year ago and I'll be dropping in as well as Euro Disney later this month and in August). So I don't really have my own unique park that I've over visited and am sick of, nor is TDR the most novel thing ever in the world to me.

You sound like a Faux Top One Percenter. I like that.

Staying at the Sheraton hotel, apart from them finding my bag it's also a really nice hotel. I'm on the club level (got an upgrade) and have a decent view of both parks. Looking at the backside of Indy (which is still pretty nicely themed) and of course all the major structures are clearly visible.

BUT - Disney Sea is the best Disney park and truly theme park in the world, hands down! Every single portion of the park is absolutely incredible.

Nothing to add. I just wanted to make sure people read that! Especially the folks who go to WDW 3-4 times a year and stay at Disney resorts and eat every meal there and then say they'd never have the $$$ to visit TDR.

I got on most of the major attractions this evening apart from TOT. Mid-week before the schools let out for the summer seems to be a really ideal time to visit. Wasn't exactly planned but it worked out well.

-20k leagues is better than I remember. It was nice having a vehicle to myself (which are actually suspended like Peter Pan and seat six). It's a very good dark ride.
-Indy I *think* is an exact clone but the outside theming is different somewhat. It was running better than the Cali version.
-Raging Spirits is fun but not a real thrilling coaster. Still not for the kids.

Loved 20K and did it probably six times with little or no waits. Too bad I couldn't buy a damn thing from it.I would have taken anything!

Indy is similar, but not an exact clone. It has the smoke ring instead of the fire effect in the temple. I like the queue in Tokyo more because the lawyers haven't gone and made it bright as day as in Anaheim. It feels like what a temple dig site would.

Not a big Raging Spirits fan, but with single rider line I never waited more than five minutes to ride. It is worth that. And it looks very kewl at night!
-Sindbad does not receive enough praise. Like Small world except a lot more dialogue, far superior animatronics (that all seemed to work), a much, much, much better song. It's kind of easy to see everything that is wrong with Mermaid. Every scene is chock full of great animatronics and none of the plastic spinning or singular motion that passes as an animatronic. It is also much longer than I remember. Case in point there is a scene that reminds me of Mermaid with Sindbad riding a whale (cardboard silhouette type thing in the last third of the ride). Just like Ursula getting zapped at the end. I figured the ride was ending but instead you round the corner to a massive whale animatronic with Sindbad and Chengdu that was quite impressive. That definitely would have been value engineered stateside. And there was still several more scenes to follow. Anyways, without rambling too much it doesn't get discussed as much as it should.

It does from me. I LOVED it!!! I think we rode this more than anything at the resort. It is fantastic. A quality immersive family ride that isn't over in two minutes. It is a classic in the best sense of the word. I wonder if it gets more ridership now that the spinner has opened. it was in a dead corner of the park.

-Jasmine's flying carpets turned out really nice and is really well done for a spinner (I shudder for my first visit to WDS...)
-TSMM is under reno this week, I hope it might randomly open but the actual innards are just a clone. Of course the whole area is the best themed as you all know (not that OLC would deliver anything less).
-Love all the transportation (water that should have been at Animal Kingdom), the New York train, tons of "New York vehicles" and of course the Venetian boats.
-Triton's kingdom looks a lot better in person than I remember. Serves a good purpose of tons of things for kids to do (in an air conditioned building no less). Similar purpose as Bugs Land but much, much, much better.

If I were there unless I got to walk on, I wouldn't do TSMM. Buzz Lightyear had a 110-minute wait my first day at TDL and 70 minutes my second day. Just walked by and laughed.

-Storm Rider is a bigger version of Star Tours, with 3x the cheese. Needs to get updated. Has water a spray effect which it uses quite liberally. You actually are kind of wet (not soaked) but wet. The area is fantastic, even if Aquatopia is just a big middle finger to the US parks by using LPS on a C-ticket.
-Definitely have the best version of Fantasmic. Forgive me because I'm not totally sure, but does all of the speaker poles etc. hide away when not in use at any of the parks in the states (not just fantasmic)? That's just another huge expense to preserve the park beauty!
-I had a gyoza dog amongst other food, the line was like 2 people long (I am rather lucky with my date choices).
-Oh and Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Yup it's fantastic as always. BUT - I think Cars in DCA is definitely the better dark ride and arguably the better overall attraction. Mysterious Island as a whole is a better land/park weiny what-have-you. Journey also packs a bigger punch with the race portion, but the dark ride is slower moving and not as impressive. Of course Mr. Lava monster is great. Anyways, you can stone me shortly for this opinion.

I wasn't going to ride Aquatopia, but my friend's 5-year-old loves it so we did it multiple times and I thought it was sorta fun, especially on a gloomy December day with Tokyo Bay looming in the distance.

Fantasmic wasn't there when I was in 2010, but look forward to seeing it. Never had a gyoza, but the cart in MI always was at least two dozen people deep (even when the park was almost empty).

I honestly can't say whether I prefer JTTCoTE or RSRs more. I love them both and they are favorites at their respective parks.

One last thing, the merchandise throughout the park is fantastically AWFUL! Keychains, nail clippers, pens, towels, toothbrushes... literally dollar store crap with year of happiness represents probably 90% of the entire park merchandise. I can't remember if it was better without their 30th anniversary. Any given mall Disney store has better merchandise than the entirety of Disney Sea. So there you go, it is not infallible after all if you aren't content with amazing photos as the majority of your souveniers.

Oh I lied - the napkins aren't themed (not that I care).

Sadly, the merchandise is an issue unless you like cute stuff ... I do know they opened with fantstic merchandise that fit the area it was in, but that lasted about as long as it does in the States sadly.

Thanks for the updates, keep them coming and have a MAGICal time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom