Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

articos

Simple laws of economics. Charge more for a product, fewer will buy it.

Based on recent behavior:
  • Annual Pass prices up 17.3% in 2 years.
  • Premium Annual Pass prices up 12.3% in 2 years.
  • Children under the age of 10 now are charged the full adult AP price.
  • AP merchandise discount was cut in half.
  • TIW price went up 33%.
Disney sure is acting like they do notwant more AP holders.

Not to mention all of the other related AP discounts and perks gone over the past decade. But they want AP's, they just don't want the operational headache that comes with it. More relevant in Anaheim than in FL. Two different divisions fighting each other. One wants more revenue, the other has to deal with the issues.

doctornick

Hmmm, so TDO is getting rid of the only Indiana Jones presence in WDW?

I think it's been pretty consistently agreed upon among insiders here that the Star Wars expansion would involve a bike coaster (themed to the speeders on Endor) taking over the IJ stunt show space.

So, yeah, the only presence of Dr. Jones in WDW would be removed. Though I would think that IJ would show up somewhere else at WDW at some point -- either in Adventureland or somewhere else in DHS or possibly (though it would be a stretch thematically) in DAK.

Magenta Panther

I think it's been pretty consistently agreed upon among insiders here that the Star Wars expansion would involve a bike coaster (themed to the speeders on Endor) taking over the IJ stunt show space.

So, yeah, the only presence of Dr. Jones in WDW would be removed. Though I would think that IJ would show up somewhere else at WDW at some point -- either in Adventureland or somewhere else in DHS or possibly (though it would be a stretch thematically) in DAK.

Huh, I never thought of Dr. Jones in Adventureland. Personally, I'd rather have more Pirates...but I have to admit that Indiana would fit in there, unnecessary acquisition that he is...:p

doctornick

Huh, I never thought of Dr. Jones in Adventureland. Personally, I'd rather have more Pirates...but I have to admit that Indiana would fit in there, unnecessary acquisition that he is...:p

That's where the IJ rides are in Anaheim and Paris. There is an expansion pad in MK's Adventureland that could be developed much as it was in Anaheim. The Tokyo ride is in TDS.

MOXOMUMD

I am amazed she was cast in a movie not directed by Tim Burton.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw her in the commercial. I guess with Tim being her husband and Johnny Depp being his best friend we probably will continue to see these three making movies together for quite awhile. (Every time I see her I swear I hear her say "I killed Sirius Black!" in my head.)

stevehousse

@WDW1974 , are you saying that shanghai doesn't have the best attractions, or not a lot of attractions coming to that park?

I agree with you about Thor 2, Thor was the only Marvel movie I didn't care for, and I don't really care about the sequel! (I will say that I am happy Kat Dennings is coming back. I love 2 Broke Girls!)

Travel Junkie

She has a very minor part, and although there's some annoying shtick with her leg, she's not significant enough to make a difference either way.

Reviews are supposed to be embargoed until July 3rd, and there's a reason for that...

My guess for the final outcome: 30% on RT with a much higher score from audiences. Not high enough to prevent it from being a flop, but higher.

Totally agree. As someone who has seen it, critics are going to (and already have) tear it apart because it has a LOT of problems story and character wise. General audiences looking for a summer popcorn flick will be more forgiving because they like Johnny Depp and the action sequences are well done.

the.dreamfinder

That's what I was thinking, and I would be a bit shocked if Chinese officials are letting Disney try to pull another Hong Kong Disneyland.

The park did get delayed to 2016, might as well put some more attractions in for the time being.
A monorail would be sweet too! ;)

Travel Junkie

Yes, that means despite what you often read (usually on Miceage and usually about DLR) Disney isn't trying to cull the herd of APers. They'd like even more APers -- even in Anaheim -- just paying vastly more to get in.

I keep hearing Miceage keep saying DLR is trying to reduce the number of AP's and then I go to the parks and see signs everywhere advertising the AP's. They do want AP's, they also want to try and change their visiting patterns. They have introduced a lot of special events in the last couple of years aimed at getting AP's to come when they expect lower crowds to get their visits out of the way so they are more likely to not visit during the busier times. They also think with the payment plans AP's can tolerate higher prices, so they have jacked them up.

The difference in the way AP's are treated in Orlando and Anaheim is a microcosm of how the resorts operate in general these days. In Orlando prices are going up and perks going down. In Anaheim, prices are going up and perks are going up. The hidden gem of the limited time magic program is that DLR is offering a lot of little events for their AP's. Things like this. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/offers-discounts/tributes-to-original-lands-for-passholders/

cbconglom

Spirited Monday Musings II: Not because I can't stop typing, but because my computer caught a nasty virus and sorta likes shutting down with no warning at all. And unlike you pesky kids, I do not like typing anything of substance on a tablet or phone. ... Heard a great tale that WDW AP sales are way down now versus five years ago and that is why they didn't see substantial price increases last month. ... Yes, that means despite what you often read (usually on Miceage and usually about DLR) Disney isn't trying to cull the herd of APers. They'd like even more APers -- even in Anaheim -- just paying vastly more to get in. ...What do you think about Vegas in July? ... Do NOT read anything into the D23 non announcement regarding no announcements at the Expo as far as what actually is coming. Things are still moving ahead on the Studios project as well as Anaheim projects. ... I do wonder at this point if Disney is afraid to put the Shanghai roster out to the world, knowing that many American fanbois will rip on it and the Chinese will read this and force changes on them. ... No, I still haven't see Monsters U and World War Z. Spending time trying to convince people you are yourself can take up your time so that you wouldn't know what day it was if not for good old Moe's and their Monday burrito special. ... Why is it that I hear more positive buzz coming from the left coast about Planes than I do about the Lone Ranger? ... If you're really looking forward to seeing Thor 2, the chances are I wouldn't like you. ... The MK isn't the worst Disney park on the planet, but it is the worst castle park. ... Oh well, I know no one watches network TV, but us old farts and Under The Dome is about to start, so I'll see you all a little later.

yikes! run hitmanpro and tdsskiller for the virus
and thanks for making me feel better about the announcements

DIGGER68

Spirited Monday Musings: It's July 1st already?!?!? Someone want to tell me where the year has gone because I think I'm still back in 2012 ... or maybe 1995. ... So just got an incredible deal from the good folks at the DLR. They tell me I need to book my July trip quickly with rates starting at $315 at the PPH, $421 at DLH, and $500 at the GCH. Oh, that is the punchline. ... Yes, DVC, I have already gotten the two mailers about the Grand Flo DVC, so the email might be overkill. ... So, those ugly rumors that Bob Iger wanted to stay on longer were true after all. Now, I know why we had all that thunder and lightning ... the gods were angry by all of his and Willow's celebrating ...If you realized how filthy most people are, not only would you never eat out, but you'd never leave your house. ...How hard is it to get an order for one coffee and one donut right? ...I am happy to see that there are only two posts on a thread about the MK staying open until midnight Friday. It is a holiday weekend. In the past, that would have been 9-midnight to start AND midnight to 3 a.m. for EMH. ...Honestly, I did enjoy watching @EPCOT Explorer and Merfie duel in out in the Twitterverse. Does that mean I'll start shopping at WalMart?!?! ... OK, I admit it. I bought a damn Vinylmation. But at least it was from TDR and only cost me $4. ... If you think what you're reading about is exciting concerning developments with the major theme park players, then I can only tell you what you aren't reading is even more fascinating. ...Yes, I have thought about WDW for the 4th, sorta like I've thought about various fanboi offers. ... Is baseball really going on because I forgot to notice. ... Someone please tell me how you were at WDW last week and that it's never been so busy. ... Tell me how many EPCOT bloggers and fanbois know what the International Food Fair was. ... Tell me if you know where you used to be able to buy both DC Comics and a copy of Variety at a Disney theme park. ...

So this part has me curious:

"If you think what you're reading about is exciting concerning developments with the major theme park players, then I can only tell you what you aren't reading is even more fascinating. ..."

What’s the driver for keeping the lid on things? Do both have big plays coming and one is waiting for the other to blink or has someone been caught flat footed can't respond? Potter is already well known so I will ask the dumb question. What am I not reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom