Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Considering that two park VPs wanted to shutter the entire pavilion, I'm thrilled we have toon fish to about. Still, what they did to a masterpiece is an abomination, but it's better than another empty building because Disney just doesn't have enough money to run its parks and keep them fresh. You'd have to pay $400 a day for that ...

Maybe, if the cast labor dollar hadn't been spent on massive resort expansions, this wouldn't be the case.

Pure speculation, of course.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Didn't the movie open on December 21st anyway?

An announcement about DHS would be broadcast to the general media, and would target the general theme park customer base . . . I doubt if most people have even heard the apparently quite false rumors concerning DHS.

I have no intention of going back and forth with you, pixie, or of letting you take over the thread with a fillibuster of non-sensical posts draped in numbers and company talking points.

You simply are ignorant to the realities of how TWDC runs and to what is planned for the Studios. People aren't being asked to move, dining locations aren't being planned to shutdown, entertainment hasn't been changed, infrastructure isn't moving all just for the hell of it. I don't know what your game is here beyond seeking attention ... I have an idea, start your own thread on why stale WDW is remaining that way and why it makes great business sense or go bother Eddie Sotto. But don't come into my thread and call me and many others liars like we have nothing better to do than makeup false plans for Disney theme parks. You may have no life, but most of us do.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Micechat is killing their community with their shift to a product.. putting all the content into front page blogs and their over moderation to try to force people into a utopia.

I don't know who in the world thought it was a good idea to try to mimick Al's writing style when Al isn't writing the columns anymore. Copying someone's personality/style is never a good way to kick things off.

I like Dusty.. but I think they've ultimately have nuked their sense of community.

I don't think that place has felt like a community in a very long time. But Lutz was the heart and soul of that place and without his spark, his personality, you're just left with a lot if photo blogs (some better than others).

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Those prices are just insane. I'm way too cheap to pay those kind of prices when Redbox will have the movie for $1.50 a few months later.

I love the theater experience (and that my wife can't turn down the volume there!), but not that much. I'd never go see anything for those prices...
Seriously, are you guys ALL deaf.
Hubby sets the volume to the point that the fillings in my teeth rattle, and then ... he cranks it one more notch.

John

marquee Bengies (751x497).jpg
We have one left in the state - $25 a carload for 2 first-run movies. It's a summer tradition to go at least once!

We still have two here in Maryland.... they play first run movies. Now Playing is Man of Steel. Here is a pic

WDW1974

Original Poster
Care to elaborate? Martin and Hatetofly seem to back it up, and you're the first trusted insider to come out against the rumor.

Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Only that I have not been able to verify the information and that it conflicts with many things I know to be true.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, just that I seriously doubt that it is. And, if so, has been one of the best-kept secrets in the Orlando theme park game ...ever.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Do you still have drive-in theaters?
Yup - 3 theatres (7 screens in total) within 45 minutes of our house.
Before my kids reached their mid teens and decided that nothing is "grosser" than being seen with their mom, we used to go all the time. At least 15-20 times each summer.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ah, I did not even think of google (which by the way is decorated with a sausage today here in Germany). And I figured out that McDLT is nothing else than a Hamburger Royal TS!

Actually, when it came out it was national and replaced the regional Quarter Pounder Plus, which was the same thing. It just wasn't separated ... Hot and cool all together.

Now, McD's did a Disney-like thing. They said franchisees were complaining about not selling enough of the $4 Angus Burgers (the best burger McD'shas ever made and one-third pound). So, they dropped them from the menu two months ago and added special quarter pounders with roughly the same toppings and on the same buns ... Starting at $4.

the.dreamfinder

Which is why I can't take the family often.. over $60 just to get in the door.

And we have the premium movie experiences around here now too... Draft House theaters, reserved seating, d-box, etc.. base tickets are as high as $24 in some situations!

I glad someone brought up reserved seating! I saw an 8:00PM showing of Monsters U last weekend at one of those refurbished AMCs with reclining leather seats where you have to reserve your seats in advance. They put up all of the seats at once and don't keep any seats for folks who decide to go to the movies spur of the moment. I ordered my ticket two days ahead of time when about half of the theater, granted it was a 80 seat auditorium, was sold according to the seating chart. When I came to the counter to pick up my tickets that night, a family of three was turned away from this showing because the show was "Sold Out". To my surprise, the auditorium ended up only filling two thirds of the seats.

That sounds familiar...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Actually, when it came out it was national and replaced the regional Quarter Pounder Plus, which was the same thing. It just wasn't separated ... Hot and cool all together.

Now, McD's did a Disney-like thing. They said franchisees were complaining about not selling enough of the $4 Angus Burgers (the best burger McD'shas ever made and one-third pound). So, they dropped them from the menu two months ago and added special quarter pounders with roughly the same toppings and on the same buns ... Starting at $4.

The issue is...McD's burgers aren't all that good anymore, since they've started to pre-cook them (which has been for a while)...none of the fatty juicy goodness of a flattop fry is there.

Think about it...the burger is just...dry.

It doesn't matter how much frozen meat they slap into the patty, until they change this process, the burger isn't going to get better.

However, people buy it. Why? Because it's cheap, it's convenient, and it tastes acceptable.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Been on a Delta L1011 too! :)

I still recall my one flight on one about 15 years ago ... The thing was ancient and felt like it was held together with duct tape and gum (like Disney would do it!) It was a cross country flight and was packed and smoke was pouring out of the AC vents at LAX. It was the only time in my life that I almost got off a plane.

But once in the air, that baby had such a smooth feel. It was like gliding on the clouds. And now they are all long gone because there truly is no more MAGICal plane than a 737-800 or 900 with every seat occupied.

John

You actually eat that? Not doubting you....being a faux one per center you do have some rather unique eating habits.....Cracker Barrel.....McD's.....V&A's....and a very "spirited" palette.

John

The issue is...McD's burgers aren't all that good anymore, since they've started to pre-cook them (which has been for a while)...none of the fatty juicy goodness of a flattop fry is there.

It doesn't matter how much frozen meat they slap into the patty, until they change this process, the burger isn't going to get better.

However, people buy it. Why? Because it's cheap, it's convenient, and it tastes acceptable.

That's exactly what Disney has done to their burgers at the world.

Goofyernmost

A true faux one percenter will go to the aforementioned eating establishments so that they can sleep at night feeling that they have made a connection with the 99'er's. It is important to keep contact with the little people for the purpose of staying humble and good about enhancing the unwashed with their presence.:p

WDW1974

Original Poster
You cannot deny that items like Hulu, Netflix, DVR, and online streaming from the network's sites are reducing the value of advertising dollars. If I knew people were forwarding through ads I paid good money for then I would SURELY refuse to pay as much.

Multiplexes are just too frigging expense. Even the lower priced weekday middle of the day airings are going up in price in my area. I used to see 3-4 movies a month. That has dropped to ONE movie a month if they are lucky. Waiting for redbox and paying a buck is much better.

Different discussions. My point was that some people keep talking about the death of network television or movie theaters and it is laughable. People still watch TV, some delay it with DVR, but they watch. When CBS can pull in over 13 million viewers for the premiere of Under the Dome, a mini-series IN JUNE, that should tell you all you need to know. Whether it's folks watching Big Bang Theory or Person of Interest or Modern Family or NCIS or Dancing with the Stars or the NBA Finals, people watch network TV.

As for movies, people may be able to get the content in ways no one thought about 15 years ago, but the top one is still the good old multi-plex (home of the $6 Coke and $5 popcorn bucket, that I never partake in). That is why the folks at Warner BRos are grinning ear to ear over the lousy Man of Steel rebooting a very valuable franchise. That's why folks in Emeryville are drinking lots if Lasseter Family wine after Monsters U's monstrous debut. People still turn out in droves for entertainment and that.s with the average ticket price over $10.

Computer Magic

I stopped going to McDs and now go to DQ for their $5 burger meal that include fry, drink a sundae. Now that's a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom