Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Californian Elitist

Never snuck into a movie, I have snuck in bottle sodas...but that's as far as I'll go.

But, I do miss the days when I worked in food service...

I would regularly trade out passes for my location with the local AMC or Regal managers for free passes.

Generally I'd use them as CM incentives (yeah, we called our employees CMs as well), like a reward for a suggestive sale contest would be a free dinner for two at Applebees or TGI Fridays and a pair of free movie passes...for that I'd trade a pass worth a Large Pizza, four drinks and 30 game tokens for them to also use as employee incentive.

However, I can't always say that I never used one of those free movie passes myself!

Also, getting friendly with Managers at theaters, you get invited to their employee showings, etc. I remember seeing Godzilla on opening night (for free), and it was a BIG deal. Whomever handled the marketing for that had made sure that even smaller theaters had big opening night festivities. It was tons of fun. Same for the LoTR trilogy, which I got into employee showings for all but the first. List goes on.

I don't sneak in anymore. I did that as a freshman and sophomore in high school, but not anymore. I didn't do it a lot either, maybe two or three times.

Sound like the life. Wish I could have perks like that forever!

Californian Elitist

Anyone have an iPic theater in their neighborhood? Gourmet food, waiters (I believe), reclining seats and tickets are thirty bucks.

mg_9769-tif.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Our fork and screens (AMC and Studio Movie Grill) both charge normal ($10 - $12 non matinee) prices for tickets. They make the money in booze and food sales.

For me to go alone to a movie to Studio Movie (which is my normal haunt if I go) costs around $25...including ticket, which I think is a reasonable price. Especially since I only go a few times a year.

This is what costs $24 up here.. (23 and change)
http://www.cobbtheatres.com/d-box.asp

Normal seats start at $12 in most theaters in the area.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Do you still have drive-in theaters?

We have one in south ATL...off Moreland Ave. Not sure how much longer it's going to stay in operation though.

Never been there myself...maybe I'll take the kid next year (as she'll be staying with me the whole summer, is the plan)...

gmajew

Anyone have an iPic theater in their neighborhood? Gourmet food, waiters (I believe), reclining seats and tickets are thirty bucks.

mg_9769-tif.jpg
Yeah we have an iPic I refused to go for th e first two years. Went about a month ago and will never go to another theater again. The seats are great! Food is blah but you can have a drink and enjoy a movie and actually have room to relax.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah we have an iPic I refused to go for th e first two years. Went about a month ago and will never go to another theater again. The seats are great! Food is blah but you can have a drink and enjoy a movie and actually have room to relax.

Yeah, after having a "Real food + drink movie" experience...I don't go back to regular theaters anymore.

Nemo14

We have one in south ATL...off Moreland Ave. Not sure how much longer it's going to stay in operation though.

Never been there myself...maybe I'll take the kid next year (as she'll be staying with me the whole summer, is the plan)...

We have one left in the state - $25 a carload for 2 first-run movies. It's a summer tradition to go at least once!

WDWFanDave

Do you still have drive-in theaters?

We have three within a 30 minute ride, one is a great twin screen, and they've said they will be making the upgrade to digital, so we know they'll be around for a while :)

Affordable to go, when you consider you get two movies for one price...we will be seeing Despicable Me 2 followed by Monsters U next weekend...$20 for 2 adults and 1 child. Snack bar is super reasonable too.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If they really believed that what amounted to a re-located and doubled spinner, A re-dressed Mickey's Toontown Fair, a dark ride import from DCA and a glorified Restaurant and Meet & Greet with a kiddie coaster opening later and only added to make it more interesting for a wider audience was going to bring a CarsLand type boost then the people in charge really are delusional. New Fantasyland as it exists now is well-done and looks great but it lacks substance. Never mind the fact that most of the original MK Fantasyland cosmetically is still standing pretty much as it was in 1971 with the Tournament-tent look DL ditched over 30 years ago.
That's why I can't buy the New Fantasyland angle because it's not a "New" Fantasyland It's an expanded Fantasyland with new stuff but it isn't the full refresh that DL's "New Fantasyland" entailed. It's also quite ridiculous if you consider that the new elements of Fantasyland would fit right in stylistically with the Dark Ride Facades from Disneyland but instead you literally have a wall separating the old and new styles making the contrast even more jarring.

The biggest problem with 'new' Fantasyland is that its biggest draw -- and the location most prominent in all advertising materials -- is a cafeteria.. One that many guests assume is a ride/show/attraction.

I'll even argue the looks great part. It looks nice in places. ...but the area lacks substance.

HMF

The biggest problem with 'new' Fantasyland is that its biggest draw -- and the location most prominent in all advertising materials -- is a cafeteria.. One that many guests assume is a ride/show/attraction.

I'll even argue the looks great part. It looks nice in places. ...but the area lacks substance.
Once again, It was obvious to me since the day it was announced that putting a restaurant in a space fit for an additional Dark Ride was going to backfire, big time.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The less we talk about what they did to the Living Seas the better. I still cringe just thinking about it.
Considering that two park VPs wanted to shutter the entire pavilion, I'm thrilled we have toon fish to about. Still, what they did to a masterpiece is an abomination, but it's better than another empty building because Disney just doesn't have enough money to run its parks and keep them fresh. You'd have to pay $400 a day for that ...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Considering that two park VPs wanted to shutter the entire pavilion, I'm thrilled we have toon fish to about. Still, what they did to a masterpiece is an abomination, but it's better than another empty building because Disney just doesn't have enough money to run its parks and keep them fresh. You'd have to pay $400 a day for that ...
That's like the admission price of 5 people and using it for upkeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom