Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since we are speaking of movies. I don't see very many. I hardly ever watch one on TV. I lose patience with them and end up doing something else half way through. However, last January when I visited Universal and went to the Despicable Me ride, I had never seen the original movie but I found that I really enjoyed the ride in spite of not having the background story.

Anyway, I noticed that Despicable Me was on a cable channel so I DVR'd it. Today I watched it and to my surprise, it was a pretty good movie, but that isn't what I noticed the most. It was playing on ABC Family. Isn't that a Disney owned channel? Through-out the movie they showed trailers for Despicable Me 2 coming out on the 3rd of July. I don't know if Disney is trying to be open minded and run the competition or if they are so blissfully ignorant of the threat that they represent that they don't see any reason to not take money from Universal to promote the competition. Disney and Universal are both releasing movies this week. I don't really care, it just struck me as odd that this would happen.

The first time I saw DM, it was on ABC Family. They also have rights to all the Potter films, which they replay quite frequently. ...That's what fanbois don't get when they talk about the Marvel characters being in UNI's parks. The business iz quite incestuous.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Different discussions. My point was that some people keep talking about the death of network television or movie theaters and it is laughable. People still watch TV, some delay it with DVR, but they watch. When CBS can pull in over 13 million viewers for the premiere of Under the Dome, a mini-series IN JUNE, that should tell you all you need to know. Whether it's folks watching Big Bang Theory or Person of Interest or Modern Family or NCIS or Dancing with the Stars or the NBA Finals, people watch network TV.

As for movies, people may be able to get the content in ways no one thought about 15 years ago, but the top one is still the good old multi-plex (home of the $6 Coke and $5 popcorn bucket, that I never partake in). That is why the folks at Warner BRos are grinning ear to ear over the lousy Man of Steel rebooting a very valuable franchise. That's why folks in Emeryville are drinking lots if Lasseter Family wine after Monsters U's monstrous debut. People still turn out in droves for entertainment and that.s with the average ticket price over $10.

Change those prices to $8 for a large coke and $10 for a large popcorn at the venues near me.

Under the done was outstanding. Has a ton of potential. Mad about what happened to the greatest TV pilot to ever live though

WDW1974

Original Poster
Which is why I can't take the family often.. over $60 just to get in the door.

And we have the premium movie experiences around here now too... Draft House theaters, reserved seating, d-box, etc.. base tickets are as high as $24 in some situations!

This is where I sound like the obnoxious posters here who keep saying WDW is a business and if people couldn't afford it then parks would be empty and Disney would be forced to lower prices.

Bottom line is the price isn't too high for most folks.

Now, I usually go to matinees or use Entertainment Book coupons and I NEVER hit a concession stand, and I don't find films to be expensive. I may go see Monsters You tomorrow. It will cost me a whole $6.75.

lazyboy97o

Anyway, I noticed that Despicable Me was on a cable channel so I DVR'd it. Today I watched it and to my surprise, it was a pretty good movie, but that isn't what I noticed the most. It was playing on ABC Family. Isn't that a Disney owned channel? Through-out the movie they showed trailers for Despicable Me 2 coming out on the 3rd of July. I don't know if Disney is trying to be open minded and run the competition or if they are so blissfully ignorant of the threat that they represent that they don't see any reason to not take money from Universal to promote the competition. Disney and Universal are both releasing movies this week. I don't really care, it just struck me as odd that this would happen.
Completely normal. Harry potter films are exclusive to ABC Family as well complete with ads for Universal Orlando Resort. Pirates of the Caribbean films are exclusive to NBCUniversal owned USA. This isn't just in relation to movies, but also shows. One studio will often make a show that airs on another's network.

We used to have 99 cent theaters...haven't seen one in years.
I think there is still one in east Marietta.

Do you still have drive-in theaters?
Atlanta still has the six screen Starlight Drive-In but the barbed wire perimeter isn't the most inviting look.

I haven't had DQ in a while...

But, I have been to a place near here who produces burgers in a similar way (Bobby's Burgers) and it was fantastic!
I thought Bobby's Burgers was trash.

crispy

Do you still have drive-in theaters?

They have one in a little town about 30 minutes away from my house. A double feature there is much cheaper than the regular theater plus the kids have fun playing in the grass. The concessions are also reasonable priced. It's a cool little place and fun for a family night out.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

the.dreamfinder

I thought Bobby's Burgers was trash.
Agree completely. Easily one of the worst burgers I've ever had. My family and some friends went to one of his restaurants for NYE a couple years back, also disappointing.

There's this chain, Zinburger that's pretty good. I'd imagine something similar will come to Disney Springs.
http://www.zinburgernj.com/

I'll leave my experience at The Lady and Sons out of the discussion...
But if you are in Savannah and want southern food, go here instead.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mrs-wilkes-dining-room-savannah

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 Unfortunately I don't think you have any control on which thread he spews his nonsense.

No, but I can call him out on his bs and if he insists on continuing, report him to the powers that be. I have no problem, as you well know, with debating and discussing and arguing. But the starting point can't be you and everyone who says what you say are lying liars who lie.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Agree completely. Easily one of the worst burgers I've ever had. My family and some friends went to one of his restaurants for NYE a couple years back, also disappointing.

There's this chain, Zinburger that's pretty good. I'd imagine something similar will come to Disney Springs.

You are in Savannah?

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Odd, since the one here is quite good. As I said though, that could be because it is new.

pheneix

Different discussions. My point was that some people keep talking about the death of network television or movie theaters and it is laughable. People still watch TV, some delay it with DVR, but they watch. When CBS can pull in over 13 million viewers for the premiere of Under the Dome, a mini-series IN JUNE, that should tell you all you need to know. Whether it's folks watching Big Bang Theory or Person of Interest or Modern Family or NCIS or Dancing with the Stars or the NBA Finals, people watch network TV.

As for movies, people may be able to get the content in ways no one thought about 15 years ago, but the top one is still the good old multi-plex (home of the $6 Coke and $5 popcorn bucket, that I never partake in). That is why the folks at Warner BRos are grinning ear to ear over the lousy Man of Steel rebooting a very valuable franchise. That's why folks in Emeryville are drinking lots if Lasseter Family wine after Monsters U's monstrous debut. People still turn out in droves for entertainment and that.s with the average ticket price over $10.

Hmmm..... Count me on the other side of this battlefield which sees the paradigm shifting in favor of a la carte content distribution rather quickly, and frighteningly, if your business model depends on double dipping for revenue (movie theater + Blu-ray/online stream/TV broadcast).

One issue that makes this shift complex is the generation gap. For baby boomers and 35+ adults, the path of least resistance to content will be the old fashioned way: broadcast television, blu ray, and the movie theatre. For younger audiences the path of least resistance to content is Netflix and Hulu. End of story. Game over. I don't even want my cable TV subscription for live sports. Weather.com and guardian.co.uk cover most of my news needs. Whenever something major is going down all the major TV news sites offer live streams. I'm OK with cutting the cord with respect to cable TV, as is most anyone who grew up with the internet.

I think both forms of distribution will exist side by side for a little while but ultimately traditional television is going to fade away in favor of direct internet streaming. I feel confident that by 2023 there will only be two major broadcast networks, probably a handful of cable channels, and then 400 different takes on live sports as that is television's outpost of last resort.

How the movie theater has survived this long is actually somewhat astounding. Especially in this era of everyone walling themselves behind social media and technology. The communal act of viewing movies in a theatre seems downright contradictory to many trends in society.

Cody5242

The first time I saw DM, it was on ABC Family. They also have rights to all the Potter films, which they replay quite frequently. ...That's what fanbois don't get when they talk about the Marvel characters being in UNI's parks. The business iz quite incestuous.
What's your opinion of DM? I think it's garbage and is one of the most overrated animated films ever. I found it very predictable using a tiring formula of a person not liking a group of kids at first but then ends up liking them in the end

WDW1974

Original Poster
The issue is...McD's burgers aren't all that good anymore, since they've started to pre-cook them (which has been for a while)...none of the fatty juicy goodness of a flattop fry is there.

Think about it...the burger is just...dry.

It doesn't matter how much frozen meat they slap into the patty, until they change this process, the burger isn't going to get better.

However, people buy it. Why? Because it's cheap, it's convenient, and it tastes acceptable.

If you truly want quality McD's, then travel. I have only had one bad experience at an overerseas McD's and it was, naturally, at DLP. I have had GREAT experiences across Asia and Europe. Hot, fresh and tasty food in spotless units.

Generally, in the USA, they don't give a damn from national management on down and it shows. Good experiences tend to come in small towns where the people all eat there like in Vermon.t or Mississippi

the.dreamfinder

You are in Savannah?

I've been but I just thought The Lady and Sons was not worth the Paula Deen upcharge and Mrs. Wilkes was better. The service was good at The Lady and Sons, but the food was subpar. Also I made the mistake of eating this corn cake they serve which WAS a lead balloon.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A true faux one percenter will go to the aforementioned eating establishments so that they can sleep at night feeling that they have made a connection with the 99'er's. It is important to keep contact with the little people for the purpose of staying humble and good about enhancing the unwashed with their presence.:p

I love when my guards line up the villagers under my balcony and I throw cinnamon buns at them.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

I'd rather go to The Lady and Sons.

People need to learn to forgive 27 year old transgressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom