Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animaniac93-98

Yes random army girl, Superman is hot. But that and things blowing up alone does not make a movie. Not even a 75 minute one, let alone 2.5 hours.

I'd say DC fans are easy to please, but considering the things they said about TDKR I'm amazed they're outright adoring this one and defending it to the death.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Been on a Delta L1011 too! :)

I loved the "ride into the turbine" effect at Dreamflight. One of my favorite rides. I vaguely remember If You Had Wings...oddly, I don't remember much about the ride itself, but I do remember the "ticketing booth" at the exit (or it could have been the entrance)...as I recall, there was a model of an Eastern Airlines plane there on the wall which captivated me.

Oh well...Yesterland.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I preferred the Steak Sammich myself-that one lasted what, two years of promos? McDonalds-the original limited time magic
Not sure the Steak Sammich made it north of the border. It doesn't ring a bell.
Admittedly, I don't eat McPuke's very often.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I'm truly sorry to all the ignorant people who are ready to put the fork into network TV because no one watches. That's about as true as Bob Iger believing that any significant portion of the public wants to stream Iron Man 3 on opening day on a tiny crappy iPhone screen. People watch network TV. People go to multiplexes.

You cannot deny that items like Hulu, Netflix, DVR, and online streaming from the network's sites are reducing the value of advertising dollars. If I knew people were forwarding through ads I paid good money for then I would SURELY refuse to pay as much.

Multiplexes are just too frigging expense. Even the lower priced weekday middle of the day airings are going up in price in my area. I used to see 3-4 movies a month. That has dropped to ONE movie a month if they are lucky. Waiting for redbox and paying a buck is much better.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Dear Spirit,

I get the whole Joyce thing, but paragraphs are like little gifts for the reader.

Food for thought.

Sincerely and without attempted bitchidom,
luv

I luv paragraphs myself, but on my musings posts they are an impediment to stream of consciousness ramblings. So, you won't see them there. And no bitchidom was taken.

Reactions: luv

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You cannot deny that items like Hulu, Netflix, DVR, and online streaming from the network's sites are reducing the value of advertising dollars. If I knew people were forwarding through ads I paid good money for then I would SURELY refuse to pay as much.

Multiplexes are just too frigging expense. Even the lower priced weekday middle of the day airings are going up in price in my area. I used to see 3-4 movies a month. That has dropped to ONE movie a month if they are lucky. Waiting for redbox and paying a buck is much better.

Not getting involved in this...but...I have a two comments.

a) Hulu is rife with ads, and getting worse. Pretty soon it will be on par with Network TV, even for Plus members. Also, you can't skip these ads (as you can with a DVR). I'm sure that is their plan.

b) I haven't had Cable TV (outside of the very basic service required for my cable internet connection, as a bundle is cheaper than single service), and haven't watched cable or broadcast TV since 2007, and I do just fine keeping up with new TV shows, episodes, etc...without commercials, all quite legally. Though, I do tend to be a week behind in many cases.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You lost me on this one, Spirit.

King Kong 2005 could have used some more editting, but overall it was better than 95% of the films you've seen in the years since.

Um, no.

Not even close. I almost fell asleep in the theater. Sorta reminds me of Man of Steel. No heart, lots of overkill.
but remember that I liked Lost in Translation. And that I haven't see one LotR film. And that I will take Trek over Wars any day.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Not getting involved in this...but...I have a two comments.

a) Hulu is rife with ads, and getting worse. Pretty soon it will be on par with Network TV, even for Plus members. Also, you can't skip these ads (as you can with a DVR). I'm sure that is their plan.

b) I haven't had Cable TV (outside of the very basic service required for my cable internet connection, as a bundle is cheaper than single service), and haven't watched cable or broadcast TV since 2007, and I do just fine keeping up with new TV shows, episodes, etc...without commercials, all quite legally. Though, I do tend to be a week behind in many cases.

Even as they have more ads I cannot imagine it raking in as much as Network pre-dvr. IMO the real money is in adverts during sports broadcasts. One of the few things that people will deal with ads for. I have a mute button for sports and hulu ads.

Goofyernmost

Man, ain't that the truth. I just took my Grandson to see Monsters University (3D), two of us, two Iceys, two small boxes of candy...$40.50 cents total. You can damn well believe that I won't be going often at those rates. And that was a matinee!

Texas84

Been on a Delta L1011 too! :)

Memories. Many moons ago my Eastern flight from Atlanta to Orlando had an equipment change in Miami and I got on an L1011 that had just come in from Argentina, filled with South American Disney fans. Happily there was no chanting on the plane but I felt like the foreigner. Heck, felt that way in the Miami airport as well.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Even as they have more ads I cannot imagine it raking in as much as Network pre-dvr. IMO the real money is in adverts during sports broadcasts. One of the few things that people will deal with ads for. I have a mute button for sports and hulu ads.

It's the same sort of argument that was made about adverts when VCRs/Beta machines came out.

Advanced models even had "3 second skip" buttons on them, similar to the features on a DVR. DVR is no different, and shouldn't impact the advert market all that much.

That being said, the "non-skippable" nature of streaming media through Hulu, etc...actually ADDS value, considering the ability to skip through broadcasts (though not "live with slight delay, as some DVR systems will do) has been around and common for nearly 25 years.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Man, ain't that the truth. I just took my Grandson to see Monsters University (3D), two of us, two Iceys, two small boxes of candy...$40.50 cents total. You can damn well believe that I won't be going often at those rates. And that was a matinee!

I only go to "fork and dine" style places anymore. Comes out to around the same cost.

My parents and I went to see Man of Steel last weekend. I had a burger, fries and hot wings. Mum had a turkey burger with sweet potato fries. Dad had Hummus and an avacado salad. Total price, including food, tip and tickets, was around $70.

A much better value in my book.

Goofyernmost

Since we are speaking of movies. I don't see very many. I hardly ever watch one on TV. I lose patience with them and end up doing something else half way through. However, last January when I visited Universal and went to the Despicable Me ride, I had never seen the original movie but I found that I really enjoyed the ride in spite of not having the background story.

Anyway, I noticed that Despicable Me was on a cable channel so I DVR'd it. Today I watched it and to my surprise, it was a pretty good movie, but that isn't what I noticed the most. It was playing on ABC Family. Isn't that a Disney owned channel? Through-out the movie they showed trailers for Despicable Me 2 coming out on the 3rd of July. I don't know if Disney is trying to be open minded and run the competition or if they are so blissfully ignorant of the threat that they represent that they don't see any reason to not take money from Universal to promote the competition. Disney and Universal are both releasing movies this week. I don't really care, it just struck me as odd that this would happen.

WDWFigment

It's the same sort of argument that was made about adverts when VCRs/Beta machines came out.

Advanced models even had "3 second skip" buttons on them, similar to the features on a DVR. DVR is no different, and shouldn't impact the advert market all that much.

That being said, the "non-skippable" nature of streaming media through Hulu, etc...actually ADDS value, considering the ability to skip through broadcasts (though not "live with slight delay, as some DVR systems will do) has been around and common for nearly 25 years.

Not to mention that tracking the efficacy of CPC advertising in many forms of online media is infinitely more accurate than tracking offline advertising.

Just a guess, but I would also bet that the effectiveness of ads in front of online content is higher than offline ads, especially for those that have online conversions. The best you can hope for with offline advertising is generally awareness, but online advertising can deliver customers directly to a checkout.

As for the other topic of seeing movies at the theaters, I'm surprised to hear what you all spend. We live in the Midwest, so prices are lower, but still. We spend $5/ticket at a nice AMC for shows before noon. We never buy any concessions, so the total cost is $10 plus gas. I prefer going to the early showings because no one else is there. Went to see World War Z in a crowded theater last weekend at 11:50 a.m. and remembered why I normally try to go as close to 10 a.m. as possible. The dude next to me prided himself in his ability to prognosticate out loud what was going to happen next...

stevehousse

Concessions at most theatres are astronomically high because the theatre does not make any money or income from movie tickets. The studios take most of the profit from them. A $10 dollar movie ticket, the theatre only takes in less than $2 dollars from that.

All theatre income comes from concessions alone, that's why popcorn is $10 for a bucket an sodas are like $6...

Animaniac93-98

As for the other topic of seeing movies at the theaters, I'm surprised to hear what you all spend. We live in the Midwest, so prices are lower, but still. We spend $5/ticket at a nice AMC for shows before noon. We never buy any concessions, so the total cost is $10 plus gas. I prefer going to the early showings because no one else is there. Went to see World War Z in a crowded theater last weekend at 11:50 a.m. and remembered why I normally try to go as close to 10 a.m. as possible. The dude next to me prided himself in his ability to prognosticate out loud what was going to happen next...

When AMC was in Canada you could get $6 pre-noon showings, but now it's back to $12 regular, $15 3D and $18 IMAX for me. Tuesday's are discounted by $5 basically, however those showings are often packed with cheap, poorly behaved teens.

I try to avoid too much consessions, but I find I always need at least soemthing to drink, which even AMC was charging $4 for water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom