Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Like I said, I know my opinion on this isn't a popular one here. To clarify, my revenue per square foot remark was in response to whether the location "needed" to be sabotaged or not to justify its closure. I suspect its closure would have been justified (internally) two years ago just as much as it would have today. I don't think sabotage was necessary here. I don't have the numbers to back that up, so it's just speculation.

Turning to my own opinion on stores like Sid's...I remember when retail was part of the "show." I've been visiting Walt Disney World literally my entire life, long before I was a globe-trotting photog. So let's not lump me in with some of the folks who have just started visiting in the last few years and think everything is magical.

Even if Sid's were the single-most profitable store on property, I don't view it as something that helps tell the story or establish a more authentic theme. To me, the story is best told through the facades and the decor in the stores. There are still some stores in the parks (a few Adventurelands come to mind) that sell authentic merchandise to some degree, and I don't think it makes a difference in thematic cohesion. However, you theme a store as well as "La Girafe Curieuse" and that conveys the theme of the land in which it's located. As I said in my previous post, the merchandise still needs to fit the theme, I just don't see a need for it to be curios or items that you'd find in such a shop in the real world.

I would much rather see Disney make its own merchandise that fits the themes of where it's being sold and fill each niche-storefront with merchandise that is on-theme, but is actually unique to Disney. I used to have a Big Al growler that we bought in Frontierland. Why not items like that? Why not attraction and land-specific merchandise in these shops that fit the themes? I don't think my opinion on this makes me accepting of "Walmarting" (if anything, what I want would likely be considerably more difficult than finding third party vendors to sell "authentic" goods in these locations).

The countless waterless fountains around the MK irritate me. The condition of the Hub (not just the lack of trees, but the pavement and look of the planters, too) irritates me. The lack of location-specific napkins, stirs, trays, etc., irritates me.

Locations ceasing to sell authentic real-world goods does not bother me. That does not mean I'm accepting of what has largely replaced these locations (homogenized merchandise across the board), but just that the lack of real-world goods for sale in the parks, in itself, does not bother me.

Decoration only goes so far in a shop. Look at all the folks complaining about the redo of the Starb...I mean Main Street Bakery (by the way had a very interesting discussion with someone in the exec suites about those cinnamon rolls that I may have had twice in my life, but we'll leave that for another time) because what's in a store is more important than what you decorate it with. I love Cracker Barrel (shocking as a Faux Top One Percenter) both the food and the shops. Now, look at all the decorations they hang to make it look like an old-time general store. Now, imagine they sold exactly what you could buy at a Wal-Mart? That is the reality if Disney retail. You have nicely decorated World of Disney outlets from Main Street USA to Frontierland, from Coronado Springs to the Beach Club, from Mousegear to Mickey's of Hollywood. The decorations are pretty much 98% of the difference.

Thematic cohesion (I have never typed that, I love fanboi talk ...I recently shared a fascinating discussion about Wall Carpeting with MAGIC's all-time leader in posting, who is finally going to DL!!!) was lost long ago and merchandise played a huge factor. Giving in and saying it doesn't bother you so long as there is Disney merchandise that is appropriate to the area IS doing just that.

First, we both know it will never happen. Disney isn't going to make that many lines of merchandise to send straight to the outlets. How many people really want Liberty Square merchandise with Disney characters etc...? I remember that in the late 90s DL was flooded with land and attraction specific merchandise. I loved much of it and so did Paul Pressler (yes, namedropping someone else I know), but it sold in much more limited quantities than you might think. Unfortunately, Disney decided on an almost all or nothing deal with specific area or attraction merchandise after DCA opened up with tons of great stuff ... Stuff that I was buying in 2004 in an outlet mall on the way to Vegas.

Bottom line is it actually is cheaper for Disney to buy third party, non-BRANDED merchandise. Look at how reasonable some of the great stuff is in World Showcase or DAK. It isn't marked up to ridiculous degrees like a cheap, tacky Disney tee, a pin or a plush. I bought some beautiful items from my stay at DAK Lodge that came from Africa, had no hidden Mickeys anywhere and were amazingly reasonable in price to begin with (I paid 35% less thanks to cast friends). Anyone who thinks Disney shopping equals gouging doesn't shop in WS, but in the generic character shops with different knicknacks that some fans think equal theming.

Other theme parks from IOA to Knott's to BGW get this. They all have lined of logo merchandise and cheap tees, but they also have different items as well that don't tout their BRANDS. Nice items that people go home with.

Disney could, but opts for the LCD. I probably shouldn't complain ...apparently it leaves me with enough money to buy homes I wasn't even aware I purchased.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The merchandise itself isn't the problem; the lack of show is the real tragedy. Let's make a list of the show-setting elements removed over the last 20 years:

•Adventureland•
Entertainment
Many characters other than Aladdin
POTC not based on a tired movie franchise
Various small shops with immersive theming
Outdoor POTC cannons firing at night
Water fountains
Consistently open quick service locations

•Frontierland•
Golden Horseshoe
Street entertainment (cowboys)
Many characters other than Woody and Jessie
Various shops (replaced with one massive pin store)
Country Bear show rotation (e.g. Christmas)
Paintbrushes on TSI
Aunt Polly's quick service on TSI
Keel boats
Canoes
Nighttime riverboat (technically Liberty Square)

•Liberty Square•
Fifers
Lighting of the tree
Small, unique shops
Properly mysterious setting for HM
A timeless HoP that didn't focus on one President
Nighttime riverboat

•Fantasyland•
Honestly, it's only improved, except for ripping out Snow White instead of adding the mine coaster and putting the princesses elsewhere. The skyway is gone. Toad and 20k were either already gone or on the way out.

•Toontown•
Good riddance.

•Tomorrowland•
Alien Encounter (unsatisfactory replacement)
Timekeeper (thematically inappropriate replacement)
A teenage vibe rather than cartoons for 6-year-olds
An updated CoP
Consistent maintenance
Regular refurbishments
Fountains
Space Mountain TV station in queue
Skyway

•MSUSA and Hub•
Maintained parades
Small, thematically appropriate shops
Center Street/Market Street
Magic Store
Cinema
Fresh candy and fudge
A real bakery with freshly made items
Arcade with vintage games
Day-long transportation
Walt Disney Story in Town Square Theater
Trees
Small castle stage (forced perspective)
Fountains
Lengthy, regularly updated day parades

•Park-wide•
Elaborate Christmas decorations
Elaborate autumn (Halloween) decorations
Specific napkins, drink stirrers
Walt Disney World-branded bags
Bigger fireworks shows for MNSSHP and MVMCP
Unique menus
Accessible restaurant reservations

••• You can see the trend in the list. Nearly everything related to entertainment and show—elements that don't make money but enhance the experience—have been cut. Disney calls the Magic Kingdom a theme park, but nearly every supporting detail has been removed. No matter how decent the park's refurbishments and New Fantasyland may be, the experience was infinitely richer 20 years ago.

It was that old-school "show" mentality that made WDW the most visited destination on earth. You can only milk it for so long...

EDIT: I forgot to add the free chocolates after sit-down meals. Little? Yes. But even Olive Garden can do it.

Would everyone print this post out and stick it near where you sit when posting on MAGIC because it answers the question of why the Spirit thinks the MK is a Walmarted poorly maintained ghetto.

Great post, @tirian. Nice to have you back. I'll even excuse you calling the Diamond Horseshoe the name of its sibling in Anaheim!

Taylor

We love it so much that we become way too picky. Kinda similar to the grass is always greener on the other side

Whenever I go to Disney I subconsciously forget all the forum criticisms and just enjoy.
I forget about this site period when I'm there

WDW1974

Original Poster
I had my doubts going into MU, but I did like it in the end. The short in front was very cute and remeniscent of Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet.

I had planned on seeing it tomorrow, but my plans were changed by an evildoer who isn't even a Disney exec or a US security official.

tirian

Would everyone print this post out and stick it near where you sit when posting on MAGIC because it answers the question of why the Spirit thinks the MK is a Walmarted poorly maintained ghetto.

Great post, @tirian. Nice to have you back. I'll even excuse you calling the Diamond Horseshoe the name of its sibling in Anaheim!

Fixed.

IHeartArt

One point of contention there on that list... I never experienced the TVs in the Space Mountain queue. I would never want to. The place is loud enough as is sometimes. Adding something to drown out the amazing background music in the line would kill me. This is silly, but... everytime I go to MK I'm hoping that that background music hasn't been replaced, because it's 80s as heck and amazing.

Very rarely, losing something is a plus, in my opinion.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Side note. The Verizon data network is badly overloaded right now (5:15pm).

Wifi doesn't seem much better.

@wdwmagic Steve, you've got links Into the telecom, what are they going to do about it? How am I supposed to use my phone to access MDE to get to my plans/FP+? They have a key infrastructure issue here that needs resolution.
It is a significant problem, and may not actually be feasible to resolve in the next couple of years. I'm actually thinking their best chance right now is to work with ATT and Verizon to boost their cell network capacity. The number of users who are trying to access the WiFi service on any day remotely busy is exceeding the capabilities of today's wifi. To make matters worse, new emerging WiFi technologies that could support this many users require the very latest client devices, which of course the vast majority of guests will not have.

WDWFigment

Sometimes, I just don't get @Kevin_Yee . This is one of those times.

That's the one item on @tirian 's otherwise excellent (it's actually anything but excellent...perhaps thorough is a better word) list that was a real head-scratcher for me. I don't agree with him that it's now mostly one president, nor do I agree with @KevinYee that John McCain couldn't have just as easily been swapped into that role while keeping the message intact (it's just the oath of office plus some fluff after). Our national motto is "E pluribus unum." It's not like the new attraction's message is all that revolutionary...

Overall, though, that is a pretty sobering list. Sad...

sweetpee_1993

We love it so much that we become way too picky. Kinda similar to the grass is always greener on the other side

Whenever I go to Disney I subconsciously forget all the forum criticisms and just enjoy.

I stopped going to the 4 parks. Out of sight, out of mind.

Computer Magic

It is a significant problem, and may not actually be feasible to resolve in the next couple of years. I'm actually thinking their best chance right now is to work with ATT and Verizon to boost their cell network capacity. The number of users who are trying to access the WiFi service on any day remotely busy is exceeding the capabilities of today's wifi. To make matters worse, new emerging WiFi technologies that could support this many users require the very latest client devices, which of course the vast majority of guests will not have.
That;s the problem with Disney limit of thinking in today's world. What happen to the days of Disney innovation. If the technology doesn't exist, imagineer it themselves.

Pretty simple, if the customers don't own the necessary equipment it's not going to work no matter what Disney puts in place. I'm really not sure what they are thinking.

RSoxNo1

I saw on Twitter that Epcot guests are receiving surveys about which Future World attraction needs an update the most. Could this be a possible Imagination/Eo or Soarin' re-do?

And on a side note about surveys, my brother went to DAK two weeks ago and received a similar survey
Is there a wrong choice here?

Lee

Adventurer
Hey, did you hear the MAGICal news?

Due to Guest Demand, the MSEP has been extended indefinitely. ...where's the damn drum roll @Lee ?
Sorry...
xmas-drummer-smiley-emoticon.gif

I think Lee is sleeping on the job.
At 1:30am?
Damn skippy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom