Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

tissandtully

If that's the case, I'm unaware of it. If people were actually throwing things at the other riders, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, and incredibly dangerous, and would be a valid reason for not allowing the trains to meet. I know of a couple isolated cases of people being hit with random things while getting to the loop, but nothing intentional. If people were that stupid, they should be banned from the parks forever. Faith in humanity dwindling...

Part of the fun of testing Dragons was watching the lift computers calculate in real time and the two trains would come beside each other, then one would drop back, then speed ahead...it was fun to play with friends who were on the other side as you never knew which train was going to eventually zoom ahead and go first. :)

I was just gonna mention this was my favorite part as well. Nothing beat riding in the front row on DD. I gotta say though my interest has dwindled in riding them since they aren't dueling anymore.

PhotoDave219

I don't even understand how that's possible, aside from just having some coins that you let go in a loop. Not like your arms have the range to throw a coin very far.

They dont have to throw it, they just have to get it in the path of the other train.... which is moving at a high speed.

More and more I see of this stuff, I'm almost glad I cant ride roller coasters anymore

Longhairbear

We went on the Wonder last year for a Western Pixar Cruise. I have to agree, that cruise put WDW service and quality to shame. The room service food was far better than any CS meal and beat most TS at WDW. I do have to disagree as we really enjoyed all the musical offered, even Toy Story. Maybe I'm only comparing to what WDW has offered but the shows were refreshing.
We were on that cruise, the first week it sailed. It was a great vacation.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are you saying that Nemesis is a good/bad coaster with good/bad theming?

I like it, although it's been a few years since I've been...
Yes, Nemesis at Alton. Amazing theming for the UK (and it still looked great two weeks ago) with a kick high G coaster thats amazingly integrated into the landscape and doesn't stop punishing from top of lift to final brakes.

But we also love Kracken. And Manta. And Montu. And Screamin'..... and one day we will finally try other parks :)

Next Big Thing

Then surely they should adjust staffing levels in accordance with attendence?
Well staffing levels do vary based on how busy they deem the park will be on a given day, no? I know from working at Universal things are heavily based on how busy the park will be.

djlaosc

Yes, Nemesis at Alton. Amazing theming for the UK (and it still looked great two weeks ago) with a kick high G coaster thats amazingly integrated into the landscape and doesn't stop punishing from top of lift to final brakes.

But we also love Kracken. And Manta. And Montu. And Screamin'..... and one day we will finally try other parks :)

Totally agree with you on everything (apart from loving Screamin' - have not been on it yet - roll on 2018!)

alphac2005

Honestly, they probably don't. But it doesn't make a difference. There's an unconscious awareness of something like that...that which is a natural transition, or "the details" that makes the difference between a WDW or Universal and a lesser park. You may not notice it, but you definitely are aware of it. That's the magic. That's what makes Disney the place that everyone feels is the pinnacle of theme parks, whether or not that's currently the case. It takes time for reality to catch up. As that standard of detail falls, people will notice more and more that maybe Universal's details are better, and that resort feels cleaner, more natural in the transitions, more detailed, and that's the place they'll want to go and spend their hard earned money. Or Disney may clean up and stay atop the mountain. We'll see. But answering your question, they may not "get it", but they definitely feel it. Some things just feel more right.

It's funny that you mention this as some people are starting to get it. My parents are taking our twins down to WDW later this week and we'll be joining them for our vacation later on at Universal. So, they went to AAA to get the discounted tickets (albeit virtually nil in the discount department) and they were talking to the lady at AAA about the park hopper cost. She proceeded without prompting to let them know that it's a total ripoff a ticket for only a few days and that people didn't yet are finally coming around to understanding that they are vastly overpaying for their WDW vacations. She said that people are paying a premium for the BRAND and the product that they are putting out in Florida isn't worthy of that premium. She was in her late 20s and said that she doesn't have any interest in visiting WDW anymore because it is too much for what you get.

I thought it was interesting because while she works at AAA, she told my parents that she clearly wasn't a theme park enthusiast or fanboi type, rather she'd been on family trips over the years and has seen the slide at WDW and she specifically pointed out the compare and contrast with Universal and SeaWorld and their cost vs. the Mouse. It shows that more people are getting it and it's not a good sign that those that help dish out travel advice and sell tickets aren't doing the Mouse's bidding anymore. They'll still get bodies filling the MK, but as time passes, if the press stops shilling for them and starts pointing out their shortfalls, the market won't like it, nor will the board.

WDWDad13

Disney is planning a major announcement for D23. I keep hearing three different possibilities so I'm not going to speculate which plan it will be until I get confirmation.

just 1 of 3? shew... I don't even know what they are and I can tell you they need all 3 lol

Bolna

But first a trip back to the Wonder to talk about guest service and exceeding guests' expectations.

If you want to understand what I am talking about when I say that WDW is average at best in this area, then you have yet another reason for a Disney Cruise because the guest service they show is truly top notch, very close to what I would consider a true 5-star product.

Everyone cares. Everyone wants to make sure that you are happy and that you are having a truly MAGICal experience. Crew will approach you and ask how the voyage is going and what, if anything, they can do for you. They approach with eye contact and a smile and don't walk in the opposite direction or look down like they don't want to be bothered ... what I often encounter at WDW.

I recently was on my first Disney cruise and I had heard so much about the great service before. To be honest before the cruise I could not really understand why people on various discussion boards all talked about how wonderful the service was and how great the castmembers were. But then after my first day on the cruise I finally understood and now confuse all people back home telling them how great the service was and see that they don't really get it and think I am a little bit crazy. So even though I went in there with extremely high expectations, they truly managed to exceed them!

luv

It is not a bad thing that people are beginning to hear that there are other parks out there that are doing a better job than Disney. Disney might not love it, but it is good for the tourists, many of whom missed out for a long time because they believed the lies told about Uni.

While I do think it's a huge shame that Disney has let things slide so badly, it's good for people to get out of Disney and see all the other stuff there is to see, starting with theme parks. :)
Potter brought in a new and different crowd of people, and they're not all good. A couple guests threw coins at the other car while in motion.
The coasters stopped dueling before Harry Potter took up residence in the park. Can't blame the Potter crowd.

lazyboy97o

I don't even understand how that's possible, aside from just having some coins that you let go in a loop. Not like your arms have the range to throw a coin very far.
Newton's First Law of Motion. The same way a loose object would go flying off is the same way a thrown one will go further than if the thrower was stationary.

The coasters stopped dueling before Harry Potter took up residence in the park. Can't blame the Potter crowd.
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened in 2010. Dueling ended in 2011.

Bolna

Yes, the main dining ballroom at *Be Our Guest* has a cafeteria feel..despite the lovely decor.
When dining, look UP....and it is a much more appealing experience.

Actually - I found the ballroom not impressive at all, just as you say, it does have a cafeteria feel. And looking up did not help at all for me.

I am aware that I am in the minority with this opinion and maybe partly this is due to having been in so many castles with ballrooms or great halls similar to this. So to me it just looked like a fake copy. I did not mind the fact that the ceiling is flat that much, but I have seen far better trompe-l'œil effects, too. The thing that really bothered me though were the little angels on the ceiling. I had read somewhere that they used portraits of the imagineers' children for these and the problem is that this shows as they have modern day haircuts instead of lots of curls as proper angels in a ceiling like this should have. So all that effort they put into the place was rather lost on me.

I also found it way too dark in the restaurant for dinner, to a level that was not attractive anymore. And I could even argue that it's not really authentic. From everything I read people who had castles like this usually were able to afford enough candles and mirrors to light the place up. And the scene from the movie seems to be in brighter light as well.

I also find the practice of letting people wait for their ADR on a bridge rather strange considering the typically wet Florida weather. I do hope that if it rains they let people wait in the entrance hall?

majortom1981

I have ridden a ton of rollercoasters. Once you have ridden a lot of them you can do a lot with your arms. Go look up the pics of people doing things like playing chess on the roller coasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom