Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

articos

I kind of touched on this in another thread a while ago, but do you think that the average "tourist" in WDW really pays attention to all the theming, the transitions, and the little details, or is it all about the rides? I notice so many people just dashing from ride to ride, and I often wonder if they even "get" it. Just a rambling thought....
Honestly, they probably don't. But it doesn't make a difference. There's an unconscious awareness of something like that...that which is a natural transition, or "the details" that makes the difference between a WDW or Universal and a lesser park. You may not notice it, but you definitely are aware of it. That's the magic. That's what makes Disney the place that everyone feels is the pinnacle of theme parks, whether or not that's currently the case. It takes time for reality to catch up. As that standard of detail falls, people will notice more and more that maybe Universal's details are better, and that resort feels cleaner, more natural in the transitions, more detailed, and that's the place they'll want to go and spend their hard earned money. Or Disney may clean up and stay atop the mountain. We'll see. But answering your question, they may not "get it", but they definitely feel it. Some things just feel more right.

BryceM

To those folks who spend 2-3-4 days at the MK or EPCOT, I'D say take a day and check out BGT, you won't be sorry.
[sarcasm]Who would do that? Busch Gardens has bare steel roller coasters, so it's obviously just like Six Flags and has no magic.[/sarcasm]

Soarin' Over Pgh

Honestly, they probably don't. But it doesn't make a difference. There's an unconscious awareness of something like that...that which is a natural transition, or "the details" that makes the difference between a WDW or Universal and a lesser park. You may not notice it, but you definitely are aware of it. That's the magic. That's what makes Disney the place that everyone feels is the pinnacle of theme parks, whether or not that's currently the case. It takes time for reality to catch up. As that standard of detail falls, people will notice more and more that maybe Universal's details are better, and that resort feels cleaner, more natural in the transitions, more detailed, and that's the place they'll want to go and spend their hard earned money. Or Disney may clean up and stay atop the mountain. We'll see. But answering your question, they may not "get it", but they definitely feel it. Some things just feel more right.

...just needs to be repeated. My first trip was only a few weeks ago, and the 1208 photos I took show my attention to detail. I know I'm not the only " noob" to notice them.

Figments Friend

All new facades were part of the 1999 plan when it was resurrected a decade later, but were dropped due to cost.

But the area looks terrible right now. Three clashing styles with no real transitions.
Agree.

After seeing what was done with Disneyland*s Fantasyland when it was given it*s overhaul in 1983 makes it hard to look at the Florida property in comparison.

I don*t like to compare to two properties, as they are truly two completely different animals, but i will confess that i would love to see that level of quality and detail work added to WDWs Fantasyland facades.

I have a hard time seeing mores shops at DHS for Star Wars since there is already Star Wars shop at DHS.

I do agree with the rest you typed though.

You gotta keep in mind that Potterville forever changed the way the execs look at theme parks. All expansions going forward will be about maximizing merchandise sales.

PS: thanks for the updates Spirit! We all look forward to reading more :D

articos

DD was much better before they stopped the Dueling aspect, which was before the HP re-do, I think. Loved riding up front for that! Wish they'd bring it back.

Is it the longest queue in Orlando?

I honestly wonder which ride/attraction has the longest queue.

Eta: oops, sorry. Didn't know we were now discussing DCL food, about which I know nothing, not being a cruise kind of person. :)
Dragons entire purpose was the dueling aspect, but it was too difficult for ops to keep that going. Dragons is pretty complex behind the scenes: the ride control actually weighs each train just before dispatch when the floor drops, and each side has a variable speed lift. As the trains roll out to the lift, the RCC calculates the weights of each train, then speeds up or slows down each side to create the proper amount of time for the trains to drop into the track profile in order to meet at the double loops with the proper timing. Ops had trouble when they didn't fill the trains, and maintenance didn't like putting wear on trains that were flying empty just to meet the Dueling aspect. So although you may get lucky and have the trains meet the way they were designed, the dueling just didn't last. At one time, this was the longest queue in Orlando - don't know if it still is or not.

BryceM

Dragons entire purpose was the dueling aspect, but it was too difficult for ops to keep that going. Dragons is pretty complex behind the scenes: the ride control actually weighs each train just before dispatch when the floor drops, and each side has a variable speed lift. As the trains roll out to the lift, the RCC calculates the weights of each train, then speeds up or slows down each side to create the proper amount of time for the trains to drop into the track profile in order to meet at the double loops with the proper timing. Ops had trouble when they didn't fill the trains, and maintenance didn't like putting wear on trains that were flying empty just to meet the Dueling aspect. So although you may get lucky and have the trains meet the way they were designed, the dueling just didn't last. At one time, this was the longest queue in Orlando - don't know if it still is or not.
I almost 100% positive that the dueling stopped due to objects being thrown at the other trains. Maybe both of these things were factors?

articos

I almost 100% positive that the dueling stopped due to objects being thrown at the other trains. Maybe both of these things were factors?
If that's the case, I'm unaware of it. If people were actually throwing things at the other riders, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, and incredibly dangerous, and would be a valid reason for not allowing the trains to meet. I know of a couple isolated cases of people being hit with random things while getting to the loop, but nothing intentional. If people were that stupid, they should be banned from the parks forever. Faith in humanity dwindling...

Part of the fun of testing Dragons was watching the lift computers calculate in real time and the two trains would come beside each other, then one would drop back, then speed ahead...it was fun to play with friends who were on the other side as you never knew which train was going to eventually zoom ahead and go first. :)

Next Big Thing

The MK should be half as clean as BGT, seriously. THe walkways looked amazing, no trash anywhere, no giant sticky areas on pavement, no using wood chips and saplings as landscaping. Staff seemed fine. Not exceptional, but fine.

Went on Cheetah Hunt three times and had no issues at load (although park wasn't crowded at all).
Not defending MK at all because when I was there for the 24 hour event I noticed there was a lack of in park maintenance throughout the day (Trash all over). HOWEVER, as you stated, BGT wasn't busy when you visited. You've obviously never been during Howl-o-scream (the busiest time of year at BGT) as the park turns into a madhouse and the walkways are no longer pretty. BGT is never too crowded though for the most part. Upkeep should be expected there during most of the year. Again, not defending MK because they should know what the staffing levels need to be for the higher crowd levels, but BGT sees a lot less daily turnstile clicks than MK.

BryceM

If that's the case, I'm unaware of it. If people were actually throwing things at the other riders, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, and incredibly dangerous, and would be a valid reason for not allowing the trains to meet. I know of a couple isolated cases of people being hit with random things while getting to the loop, but nothing intentional. If people were that stupid, they should be banned from the parks forever. Faith in humanity dwindling...
I'm not sure if they were being thrown on purpose or not. If they were, then I strongly dislike whoever participated in doing so. It destroyed the most important part of the ride.

lazyboy97o

Universal Orlando Resort publicly ended the dueling in 2011 after two separate incidents, with one passenger loosing an eye.

Sneezy62

OK, as I sit here chowing down on some Memorial Day pizza, food seems an appropriate topic.
From the sublime (Palo, Flying Fish) to the excellent (Jiko, Hacienda, Il Mulino, rotational dining on Wonder) to the very good (Garden Grove dinner buffet, Biergarten lunch buffet, Portobello) to the awful (Be Our Guest). Didn't eat much quick serve at Disney (or UNI or SW or BGT) because it really makes very little sense when places like Chick-Fil-A, Moe's, Del Taco, and, yes, MC'D's and Wendy's are mere minutes away. I know this makes some fanbois and Pixie Dust addicts cry because they feel there is some MAGIC at Cosmic Ray's that has missed me.

So, with a few exceptions (Mara, Sunshine Seasons, Pinocchio's) I really can't talk about quick serve food at Disney. Oh, Pizzafari too. ... I'll just repeat that if you can avoid quick serve at Disney, do so.

Well, maybe with one exception. The new bakery in France is wonderful, only a bit overpriced and tastes like cafes I have dined in in the real thing. But they have neither enough seating nor a very organized queue and I would suspect the place might be hellish on busy days.

I find it amusing that the place that gets the most hype these days-- Be Our Guest -- was the only lousy Disney meal in weeks both on the seas and at the World. I'm glad the blogging whores who dine for free love it. I'd sooner burn my money before dining there again. Rude server, absurd policies, loud, crowded dining room and mediocre cuisine. I'd have more to say, but I'm having a discussion with a Disney exec this week about the experience, so I'll just leave you with a warning that you really shouldn't dine there. It sucks.

I'll also say that despite Disney dumbing down its dress code yet again, at signature locations, that people were largely dressed appropriately. I'll chalk that up to our not going to the typical, hyped locations. Since the blogging crowd generally stays away from the places we chose, we got a mix of more upscale diners from tourists to conventioners to locals.

I have had fantasies about some of these meals (sans fanbois! ) ... they were simply that great. My feelings are that if you are going to pay a lot for a meal that it should resonate with you beyond the digestion period. I would highly recommend any of the locations we went to. They are also places that, for the most part, you can either walk in or book a few days out. None of that six months ahead and please give a CC bull--&% ...

Since you stayed at AKL did you eat at Sanaa? I had a great meal there in 2010. The kind of meal that I can still remember what I had and how wonderful it smelled...without having taken a single snapshot of the plate. I think we got out of there (4 adults) for under a hundred dollars too. I hope we'll get to hear a bit about your conversation regarding BoG.

articos

Universal Orlando Resort publicly ended the dueling in 2011 after two separate incidents, with one passenger loosing an eye.
I wasn't aware of that. That's really, really sad. Ops was trying to get rid of it with backing from maintenance after the first year, but if someone was hurt, they have a valid reason. I'd rather they have required mandatory safety glasses, but practically, this is a better (the only) solution.

mickey2008.1

Coming from coaster city usa, cedar point, great rides for the thrills, hands down. But it is not a park where families can enjoy all together, it is One or the other. WDW brings it all together for the family with a little thrill, or more for some. But it it is the theming, shows, presentation, resorts, dining, shopping, and all the things you can not get else where. WDWis a One of a kind of resort. All inclusive, may not be what all wants, but they do a pretty good job. No other park does that imho. DME,, theming, food. Stick to parks only, and WDW wins. Yes they have problems, but overall, where else can you get the complete experience? It's a give and take thing. WDW is enormous, and it takes amlot of care. Maybe, it is time to stop growing and just focus One what's here now, clean it up, then grow.

PhotoDave219

flynnibus

Premium Member

articos

No, loose objects (like change) coming free and through inertia flying at the other train. Two high profile incidents lead to UNI opt'ing to not duel the trains.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...1_roller-coasters-wizarding-world-theme-parks
Alright, so it is being reported that it's likely accidental. On one hand, if people are hurt, something must be done. On the other, this ride has operated for over a decade with a good safety record. I have to ask what changed...were the ride ops allowed to get lax in making sure that everything was out of people's pockets and in lockers before being allowed to board? Or is this just an instance of bad luck because it's 2 incidents within a short amount of time, and one of them major, the major change is made. Either way, sad on all counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom