Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

Hold on- in USA WWZ is a pg-13?! In the uk it's a 15 (no one under 15 can see it) and I thought that was a reasonable level. Some of the jumps were quite surprising and even though its a bad adaptation, I found it oddly refreshing compared to most blockbusters.
There is nothing in the US between PG-13 ("Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13") and R ("Children Under 17 Require Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian"). The MPAA ratings are also voluntary and not enforced by law.

WDWFigment

Tokyo is certainly more of a facade in that film. Articles like this don't help because the reader sees "Tokyo" "Scarlett Johannson" and that's it.

How was the Park-Hyatt Tokyo btw?

The Park Hyatt Tokyo was incredible. The best service we've ever had in a hotel (although all hotels there had pretty excellent service). So incredible that Sarah didn't want to leave the hotel. Literally...I went to the fish market by myself one morning because she was just gazing out the window.

the.dreamfinder

Had a friend tell me about two imagineers speaking at USC bragging how they targeted Horizons to replace it with "their idea", openly mocked it, said that the "choose your own ending" was a case in bad story-telling and they lobbied, skewed facts, and happily got it closed down and the plot opened for expansion. That's how I learned that "seasonal" meant "ride it while you still can!"

I could go on about how this sucks, but I understand Horizons lost its sponsor, EPCOT needed a thrill ride, blah, blah, blah. But M:SPACE proves to me, and the imagineers mentioned above, that WDI didn' get EPCOT, still doesn't, and showed a complete lack of respect for EPCOT, its heritage, its fans (but they respect DL fans and heritage) and a lack of creativity to take Horizons to the next level, which could have been incredible (imagine 3D with those IMAX screens). With all the cool ideas they had for a space pavilion, they chose a glorified spinner? Sorry, a centrifuge is literally a spinner! :mad:

You wanted a thrill ride for EPCOT? Make one without ripping out FW's heart.
I wonder if these buffoons worked on project Gemini.

the.dreamfinder

There is nothing in the US between PG-13 ("Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13") and R ("Children Under 17 Require Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian"). The MPAA ratings are also voluntary and not enforced by law.
But almost no theaters will show an unrated film.

Figments Friend

Had a friend tell me about two imagineers speaking at USC bragging how they targeted Horizons to replace it with "their idea", openly mocked it, said that the "choose your own ending" was a case in bad story-telling and they lobbied, skewed facts, and happily got it closed down and the plot opened for expansion. That's how I learned that "seasonal" meant "ride it while you still can!"

( shakes head in sadness...)

John

It has had reduced hours for months, no longer open when the park first opens or near closing. Then the lack of a day parade sure didnt help the foot traffic during the day.

Sales now down.

Closing justified.

But no one will believe that ops sabotages certain locations/attractions in order to justify their closure...

Can you say Pleasure Island?

Figments Friend

Indeed.
Nice to actually get a virtual tour of a property, without all the constant video 'interuptions' and quick-cutting editing nonsense.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
This is a bit off topic (ok, not sure if we reallyt have a topic here) but a few days ago, the face and voice of Men's Wearhouse was kicked out....the founder of the company was forced out.

Now, we have a bit more info:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/mens-wearhouse-founder-zimmer-clashed-ceo-over-exec-pay-6C10436067

Last week, the Men's Wearhouse board abruptly fired Zimmer from the chairman's job, even as its share price had climbed about 50 percent in the past two-and-a-half years. The board, populated by some directors Zimmer has known for decades, told him of the decision the day they announced the firing, the sources said....

One of the issues that led to Zimmer's ouster was his growing concern about rising compensation for the top executives, which he opposed.
Ewert was awarded a base salary of $1.25 million for the current year, more than double last year's figure, and a potential annual bonus of up to $1.25 million and other incentives.
Under Ewert, the company's revenue grew to $2.48 billion last year, up from $2.01 billion the year before. In its most recent quarter, it posted better-than-expected results, with sales rising 5.1 percent to $616.5 million.

Sounds like another greedy CEO and board ready to dump the founder in the name of short-term profits and personal gain. Who cares about the company after the CEO and BOD make all of their cash?

Of course, I think the company is going to go down without their founder who really was the face of the company.

WDWFigment

It has had reduced hours for months, no longer open when the park first opens or near closing. Then the lack of a day parade sure didnt help the foot traffic during the day.

Sales now down.

Closing justified.

But no one will believe that ops sabotages certain locations/attractions in order to justify their closure...

Even without the reduced hours, I suspect a closure would have been justified. I can only go on anecdotal evidence based on my experience there over the years, but I never saw or heard of anyone buying anything at Sid's. I'm sure some people did buy things there, but it's revenue per square foot numbers must have been awful even on its best days.

I'm willing to get worked up over a lot of things Disney has done recently, but eliminating Sid's as a retailer won't be one of those things. For me it's cool because of the facade and the props outside. As an actual store, it doesn't do anything for me (and I don't think the theme is in any way dependent upon it selling that stuff).

I'd love to see more locations selling merchandise unique to those locations, but I'm fine with it being actual Disney merchandise. I sort of feel like the ship has sailed on theme park stores selling random bric-a-brac or other things (that people won't buy simply at a theme park) solely for the sake of tradition. I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but most of the time, I just don't think it adds anything to the experience.

Get the High School Music crap out of Tomorrowland, get some attraction-specific merchandise into those gift shops, some land-specific stuff where it belongs, and some designs that don't defile the history of TWDC. That will make me happy.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
This is a bit off topic (ok, not sure if we reallyt have a topic here) but a few days ago, the face and voice of Men's Wearhouse was kicked out....the founder of the company was forced out.

Now, we have a bit more info:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/mens-wearhouse-founder-zimmer-clashed-ceo-over-exec-pay-6C10436067

Sounds like another greedy CEO and board ready to dump the founder in the name of short-term profits and personal gain. Who cares about the company after the CEO and BOD make all of their cash?

Of course, I think the company is going to go down without their founder who really was the face of the company.
I live in Canada, and even I know this Dude.
"You're going to like the way you look. I guarantee it".

Figment82

I bought a few things at Sid's over the years. I think I mentioned it in another thread, but I was a big fan of their super cheap obscure movie posters. I purchased a One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band poster for like $10. I also picked up some fun props from The Producers Broadway production - again, reasonably priced items. I loved looking at the memorabilia and autographs, but only a few things were affordable by the mass public. Once they starting removing the cheaper items in favor of the same things you could get at Art of Disney, it started going downhill. I'll certainly miss Sid's, but, like most things on property nowadays, it's a shell of its former self.

nytimez

So now that Congressman Markey will soon be Senator Markey, any bets on whether or not he will want to go after magic bands again over privacy issues. My thought is that that ship has already sailed since he already has won the prize he was after.

Markey is now moving to a legislative body where he belongs to the majority party AND he has another election coming up in a year. A case could be made that he can now do more than he was able to do before, not less.

John

I stepped away from the computer but Something has drawn me back. Sids......this really has me kind of has me
ed. Here is another instance where the nuisances of what made WDW what it was.....cut! I am sure there are a few of you here that says ....good riddance.... To me it is another symptom of what has transpired in the last 15-20 years. It is another sign that WDW is no longer wanting to be a theme park..... or should I say the worlds best theme park. Every day it becomes more and more an amusement park. There is a difference.... a huge difference.

The Spirit and everyone else is getting their panties all waded up over all this talk about new attractions coming to DHS. I too hope for some new changes. But is it really what we are hoping for? Some of you are upset over the cinnamon rolls no longer at MSB....that it is now a Starbucks. Is it the rolls or is it something more? Just like the great napkin debate of 2012. It really wasn't about stupid napkins was it? or was it more?

Now you can check into your resort without any CM interaction......get into the park without any CM interaction...reserve your FP.......get on ride and never even see a smile. Yea....we know....cut down on labor. Save on the bottom line. Does that make the guest experience better? The resort has been and always will be about people. There will come a day when there wont even be foam heads....just animatronics you reserve a time for and stand next to while your kid gets his/her picture next to......all the time while the animatronic says your kids name. March around the parks with your cute little bracelets like sheeple. All the while Disney dictateing where and when what attractions you can enjoy. Sterile....that's what a WDW experience is becoming. Your total vacation wrapped up nicely in white deli paper. Everything sliced and stacked neatly for your consumption. You go here on Monday at 1:00.....2:00....3:00 Tuesday you go here there and over here. Wednesday etc. Take you back to MCO on a magical bus and thanks for all the Benjamin's.

Its no longer ....Welcome home anymore. Home is supposed to be somewhere familiar......somewhere you know what to expect.....happy faces. Things the same as you left it. Your mom in the kitchen with her apron on. Dad in his easy chair. Its no longer there. The things I have grown to love are no longer there. The essence....the nuances....the care......Now they just want to make money off of those things with out providing them. Its the bait and switch. They no longer want me....they want the fresh faces....the "new" money. Problem is the fresh faces wont have the thick experiences we had. They will never have that. They wont get the best theme park in the world.....they will get the best amusement park in the world....if that's good enough for them....good for them. For me Sids is another part of the "death by a thousand cuts" The park some of us once knew is now on life support. There are bits and pieces left.... but don't fear if Disney has anything to do with it.....your favorite bit of magic will too be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom