Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlphil

It has had reduced hours for months, no longer open when the park first opens or near closing. Then the lack of a day parade sure didnt help the foot traffic during the day.

Sales now down.

Closing justified.

But no one will believe that ops sabotages certain locations/attractions in order to justify their closure...
Yep, I went to check it out last week an hour or so before park closing because of rumors of its imminent demise. It was locked tight and lights were out, so I was pretty disappointed.

Let see if I've got this right- a shop near the park entrance is shuttered near closing time when there is a lot of foot traffic leaving the park. Yeah, ops sabotaged it as excuse for dispatching it, alright.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ack, the only good part about the movie was seeing her in underwear for half of it. I thought the movie was a terrible introduction to culture in Tokyo by two people who were too chicken or depressed to leave their hotel, why would I want to watch that?

I disagree. Thought Tokyo was simply the background and a literal metaphor for two lost souls who sorta fell into each other's orbit. I don't think Tokyo or the cultures were exactly the focus, but it has been years since I last saw the film.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Even that didn't improve it for me.
After hearing all the buzz about it, I watched it right after it came out on DVD.
At the end, I swore loudly and proclaimed it the worst movie I'd seen in years.

Two damaged people, staying in a hotel in Tokyo....do nothing.
No plot. No engaging story. No protagonist/antagonist relationships to hang a story on.
Ugh....just bad.

Bad as in bad taste? You my friend suffer from this ... At least you have good taste in women!

You want to convince me that Man of Steel wasn't as bad as I thought now? Or how about that Bob Iger is simply misunderstood?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh no of course not.....those Ops sprites....
;)

Yeah, the location did not help as i have seen folks walk by in droves and not even seem to notice Sid's.
Maybe part of it was by the point people notice it, they are on their way out of the exit gates and more focused on their next destination.
I honestly think a lot of people did not even realize it was a shop. Crazy i know...but i would get that vibe standing around watching people filter by.

You are right regarding the lack of Parades killing the foot traffic.
Still a shame, it was one of the last real unique shops in the Park.

Plenty of people notice the shop and plenty browse it. Some even buy things, just not Kin Shriner's General Hospital aqua blazer that has been there for a decade.

It is the first place or last place you see for most guests. Closing it for an infrastructure facility is following the model of turning Sun Bank into the Art of Disney into package pickup at MK.

Same type of ignorant decision-making.

tirian

At the most recent quarterly financial review, Iger stated:

"In Q2, Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort both set new attendance records for the quarter."

Attendance was positively affected by the alignment of the New Year's and Easter holidays, which both were counted in the quarter.

Iger also said domestic theme park attendance was up 8% but, of course, that's heavily weighted towards DLR.

The economy is slowly improving (or at least people have grown tired of spending like it's a recession) so it makes sense that there's a lot of pent-up demand for vacations.

Either way, the MK was extended last night due to crowd levels. Let's be fair. At least they're extending the park hours when necessary.

IMO the real tragedy is in keeping shortened hours at Epcot throughout the summer.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So are we to assume that previous to the Titanic hitting the iceberg, there wasn't the slightest possibility of young love and nudity happening? I think it is more likely then not that that kind of stuff did happen. At least I hope so, otherwise what else are cruises for?:D

Well, there's character meet and greets, pintrading with the crew, meeting new towel animals like Winky (right @CBOMB ?) nightly and oh, I thought you were asking what Disney Cruises are for. Nevermind.

RSoxNo1

I've been looking at park hours courtesy of Touring Plans and it does not appear that there were substantial changes in MK's park hours from 2012 to 2013. From June-August there were actually longer park hours in 2013 then there were in 2012. Yes EMH were cut but even that doesn't really effect it. The real cut was from 2011 to 2012:

June-August 2011 Regular park hours: 1330
June-August 2012 Regular park hours: 1273
June-August 2013 Regular park hours: 1297
June-August 2011 Regular and EMH hours: 1433
June-August 2012 Regular and EMH hours: 1349
June-August 2013 Regular and EMH hours: 1338

WDW1974

Original Poster
Even without the reduced hours, I suspect a closure would have been justified. I can only go on anecdotal evidence based on my experience there over the years, but I never saw or heard of anyone buying anything at Sid's. I'm sure some people did buy things there, but it's revenue per square foot numbers must have been awful even on its best days.

I'm willing to get worked up over a lot of things Disney has done recently, but eliminating Sid's as a retailer won't be one of those things. For me it's cool because of the facade and the props outside. As an actual store, it doesn't do anything for me (and I don't think the theme is in any way dependent upon it selling that stuff).

I'd love to see more locations selling merchandise unique to those locations, but I'm fine with it being actual Disney merchandise. I sort of feel like the ship has sailed on theme park stores selling random bric-a-brac or other things (that people won't buy simply at a theme park) solely for the sake of tradition. I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but most of the time, I just don't think it adds anything to the experience.

Get the High School Music crap out of Tomorrowland, get some attraction-specific merchandise into those gift shops, some land-specific stuff where it belongs, and some designs that don't defile the history of TWDC. That will make me happy.

Nope. That opinion ain't flying with this Spirit because it fundamentally misses the role retail played at Disney Parks from 1955 until the Lee Cockerell mid'90s era. Revenue per square foot is numbers talk and it is the type of talk that has totally destroyed retail at WDW.

FWIW, all it takes for Sid's to be in the black for the week is one big-time purchase. And with the number of guests the park gets (no matter what numbers you're looking at) daily that happens most of the time. That doesn't count all the cheaper items that are sold daily at all.

Even if the place operated at a loss, which I am quite sure it doesn't, so what? Before you were a globe-hopping Disney photog, retail was part of the show. Sometimes, it lost money. Somewhere in my files I have the entire 1987 MK retail breakdown location by location. Emporium blew the others out of the water. I think every location combined didn't equal what it made. But when you were in Liberty Square, you felt it. It wasn't all Disney's MAGICal toon park. So, you had a Silversmith shop and a perfume shop and an antiques shop. And they may have not made much money usually, but they were an integral part of the show and of setting a mood for a time and place.

Now, those three shops are one giant Disney Christmas Crap Shoppe because nothing sez Colonial America to me like Pooh X-mas Tree toppers and Jack Skellington ornaments all with huge open space because every location has now been made wide open so 500-pounders can drive their ECVs in (heaven forbid they leave them and walk into a shop).

It's all watered down and just like trees being replaced by shrubs and wood chips or themed trash cans being replaced with generic ones that say MSUSA or CMs wearing street clothes or basic costumes, it all dumbs the experience down to a complete different level.

Having Disney themed merchandise in every area is a cop out and a giving in to Walmarting.

It doesn't matter what sells in every case. Fans want the Orange Bird now, but they don't care that his Adventureland is a barren empty place because Disney shuttered practically every dining and retail location in the land and ...nah, I was going to start talking about the flea market at the PoC exit or te fountains that are planters and I realize I might as well be typing this on Laughing Place a decade ago. You know what's right. Settling is just giving into the current Management's motives.

Sid's is the only shop at TPFKaTD-MGMS that still bares some resemblance to what the park's retail was when it opened. It wasn't the same Disney crap in every location.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I bought a few things at Sid's over the years. I think I mentioned it in another thread, but I was a big fan of their super cheap obscure movie posters. I purchased a One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band poster for like $10. I also picked up some fun props from The Producers Broadway production - again, reasonably priced items. I loved looking at the memorabilia and autographs, but only a few things were affordable by the mass public. Once they starting removing the cheaper items in favor of the same things you could get at Art of Disney, it started going downhill. I'll certainly miss Sid's, but, like most things on property nowadays, it's a shell of its former self.

I have bought quite a bit over the years there. I can remember after Michael Jackson died and they suddenly loads of items that were either his or signed by him and how they tripled in price in a week. I never bought autographs because I am not into that (and many of the folks they sell signatures of are people I have met and could have gotten free autographs if I were into that), but often I'll see items that are treasures there for less than some fans pay on eBay for a LE pin ...from this year ...or a mass produced park map from 15 years ago and I shake my head.

The shop has largely been a shell of itself for the last 6-7 years. I am sure management has been looking for an excuse to close it when it should be fought for.

the.dreamfinder

I have bought quite a bit over the years there. I can remember after Michael Jackson died and they suddenly loads of items that were either his or signed by him and how they tripled in price in a week. I never bought autographs because I am not into that (and many of the folks they sell signatures of are people I have met and could have gotten free autographs if I were into that), but often I'll see items that are treasures there for less than some fans pay on eBay for a LE pin ...from this year ...or a mass produced park map from 15 years ago and I shake my head.

The shop has largely been a shell of itself for the last 6-7 years. I am sure management has been looking for an excuse to close it when it should be fought for.
I think once the actor who played Sid died, it was not long for this World.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Either way, the MK was extended last night due to crowd levels. Let's be fair. At least they're extending the park hours when necessary.

IMO the real tragedy is in keeping shortened hours at Epcot throughout the summer.

I don't disagree and would much rather see some action on EPCOT's hours since I am not a fan of the MK these days (I'm sure that has never come through in my posts!)

It is pathetic that Disney fans who have only been coming for the last 10-15 years have no clue that EPCOT used to always have late hours during summer, spring break, Christmas holidays, Presidents's week and assorted weekends.

And the beancounters, who keep adding more food and booze locales and festivals, can't seem to comprehend that locals AND tourists would stay late go eat and drink (likely shop too) if they had the option. Like I've said, Disney is like the guy who reaches down for pennies while $100 bills fly over his head.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've been looking at park hours courtesy of Touring Plans and it does not appear that there were substantial changes in MK's park hours from 2012 to 2013. From June-August there were actually longer park hours in 2013 then there were in 2012. Yes EMH were cut but even that doesn't really effect it. The real cut was from 2011 to 2012:

June-August 2011 Regular park hours: 1330
June-August 2012 Regular park hours: 1273
June-August 2013 Regular park hours: 1297
June-August 2011 Regular and EMH hours: 1433
June-August 2012 Regular and EMH hours: 1349
June-August 2013 Regular and EMH hours: 1338

I was speaking largely about EMH, which has been cut tremendously over last year. Six hours over two days to two hours over one is 66% less by my Spirited math.

Atomicmickey

I disagree. Thought Tokyo was simply the background and a literal metaphor for two lost souls who sorta fell into each other's orbit. I don't think Tokyo or the cultures were exactly the focus, but it has been years since I last saw the film.

Haven't been posting much lately, but had to pop in and defend Lost in Translation, I think it's fantastic and watch it once a year or so....it's the 2001:a space odyssey of loneliness and alienation....

And now, back to whether Star Wars land will have a TaunTaun spinner.....

@WDWForTwo

Been in the parks this week. There are a lot of hot, overwhelmed people. Every time I see a family of 4 walking into the park at 1 PM with a Park Map and a Times Guide, I cringe.

Across every park, there have been a lot of "little" things working or polished that were not that way on our last trip in August.

There is some MM+ testing going on, which is interesting to see. There are often 3-4 CMs standing around the totally empty MM+ entrances while the standby lines are largely ignored. We went on Great Movie Ride a few days ago, and I literally had to unhook a chain that was blocking the path of the queue while 4 CMs with an Ipad stood watch over the MM+ entrance (can't have the system getting bad publicity already, now can they?).

Saw the Sneak Peek of Lone Ranger at Hollywood Studios. It looked like it has some promise, but there were portions that looked almost copy-and-pasted from Pirates 1.

I've enjoyed Tron Track, but if you ride Single Rider you don't get to design your own car, which essentially defeats the entire purpose/story of the ride. I found that to be a bit odd. Also, found that if you are say in a party of 2, just before you enter the "design room" tell the CM you are a party of 1, then you each get to design your own car, rather than getting to design just 1 car for your whole party.

Soarin still needs a cleaning. Figment and Captain Eo are still a ghost-town.

Had an amazing meal at Columbia in Celebration. That place really showcases what true pride of ownership can do for the experience of a guest.

The Safari could use a sprucing up of the story. The "here is a few fun facts about the animal you're looking at" is pretty boring and now feels more like a tour through a zoo than it did when Wilson/Big Red/Little Red were a part of the story. I don't want "Phineas and Pherb Go to the African Savanna" but a re-thinking of the creative part of the Safari would be welcomed.

MK hasn't been as enjoyable this trip, seems to be the most crowded park, it takes forever to get to/from your car and unless you are a little kid, a large portion of the rides aren't too exciting.

At MK a few days ago, lightning prompted the close of all outdoor attractions. Pan instantly shot up to a 115 minute wait time.

The Tangled bathrooms really make the transition from Liberty Square-Fantasyland look terrible. They need to re-theme the It's a Small World-->Royal Carousel area to fit in more with the themeing of the Tangled Bathrooms/NFL.

This is nit-picky, but the Camel in-front of Aladdin, that spits water, makes walking through that area, dangerous. You have little kids running and trying to be squirted with water, you have adults, trying to avoid being squirted and the other 75% of the people totally oblivious to its existence. This last group, are the ones running over some 10 year old kid, who is having more fun being squirted with water than he did waiting an hour and a half for Winnie the Pooh. If there hasn't yet been a lawsuit, or a fairly major incident in this area because of the Camel, don't be surprised when there is one.

The Main Street Electrical Parade is played out at this point. The best part of the parade is the announcement with the computer voice, the paper-mache Clock Tower doesn't really do it for me anymore. Perhaps a new Parade will come with the rumored re-vamp of Wishes?

Splash Mountain looks fantastic. There are effects working that I didn't even know existed until this trip.

Food at Be Our Guest was actually pretty good, despite the negative reviews it got just before we left. The Ballroom does have a "cafeteria" feel to it. We ate in the West Wing.

Voyage of the Little Mermaid has consistently been a >15 minute wait at night. Don't know what that says about NFL.

That is it for now, I'll try and post some more thoughts after the trip is done.

coolbeans14

There is nothing in the US between PG-13 ("Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13") and R ("Children Under 17 Require Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian"). The MPAA ratings are also voluntary and not enforced by law.

So let me get this right. I could take a 5 year old to see Saw, and that would be ok?! Because that sounds like a very flawed system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom