Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

I never said they were handing out 80% FPs the way you seem to have interpreted my statement? It's a ratio that you have to think about. For every 1 person sent to ride via Stand by, 4 are sent from the FP line. In my experience, Id say that is pretty much what happens. I'm sorry I didnt phrase it that well.

But to answer your question, I got my numbers from CMs on here. I would imagine it varies a bit depending on the day, time of year, ect but that's been the number I've seen most consistently.
OK, but at some point sending 30% (arbitrary number) through at the rate of 80% they will run out of FP people and the Standby line will start to move again. I think if what you say is happening, it is only a certain times of the day, like the beginning or end of the window times, but it has to run out of eligible FP'ers eventually. It is more complex than either of us are saying but if they continued at that rate, standby would be an all day experience for just one ride.

It would be so much easier if they just did away with Fastpass completely and it was first come first served. The line would move continuously like it use to, yes for those that use FP all the time the wait would be a little longer, but, not as bad as some of you are thinking. If they want to spread the crowd, build a few more good attractions and it will take care of itself.

doctornick

I see your point... But the extended queues just suggest to me that Disney is expecting longer lines.

Sure, longer standby lines. Obviouly. And, conversely, FP lines with shorter waits. So, the times when you are in the SB line, you might wait longer. The times you are in the FP line, you will have a shorter wait. It will balance out. You can't have everyone waiting longer.

John

Not if you figure that they will be giving and controlling the numbers that go at any given time. You ask for 3PM for Soarin, they can say...sorry we are filled up at 3PM, how about one for Norway? That would mean that one less person would hold a FP for Soarin at that time, that one person would then be taking up a space in line for Maelstrom, that really didn't need one anyway. And think about how only allowing the alleged 3 per day when many people have used 6 or more. As a guest making your selections you have absolutely no way of knowing if they are out for that time or are just not issuing more at that time.

If you say, for example, I don't want one for Tiki and they say...sorry that's all I got and you still refuse to take it then you have to go through all your favorites until you find one that they say has an opening or, like it was suggested someplace, you get 3 per day whether you choose them or not. They may just be able to give you three at random that you can use or not, but there they are. It is going to be nothing but interesting to see how this all actually ends up working. In the meantime, I'm going to be looking up the rates for Universal.

THIS........ exactly how I perceive it. To manipulate the crowds as they see fit. Is that a bad thing? of course not. At the expense of guest experience? Absolutely! Also I believe they will hand out FP's according to if you are a Big spender or just a family visiting WDW on a strict budget. Big Fish......you get FP for what ever you want. Little fish.......so sorry.....FP for COP....Thanks for coming....Have a Magical day.

Funmeister

THIS........ exactly how I perceive it. To manipulate the crowds as they see fit. Is that a bad thing? of course not. At the expense of guest experience? Absolutely! Also I believe they will hand out FP's according to if you are a Big spender or just a family visiting WDW on a strict budget. Big Fish......you get FP for what ever you want. Little fish.......so sorry.....FP for COP....Thanks for coming....Have a Magical day.

The way it was once described was that themed archways would be placed throughout the parks. The arches could read the number of bands going through them (not necessarily individual names but who knows). If there were huge crowds say down Sunset Blvd. at DHS then the FP machines would spit out FP's for Star Tours or Muppets with your ToT FP. The additional FP would be automated through the machine based on where the crowds are located in hopes to spread them out.

Lee

Adventurer
I didn't like the final 30 minutes, which felt like 90 as they just went on and on and ...
and the ending was weak and predictable. A new darker Man of Steel who has go go against his principles for this new age was the message ...that was funny later with the drone scene, but not in the way the filmmakers intended.
Man of Steel....
Liked it, didn't love it.
It was a bit too....Transformers-ish for me. Too much destruction, not enough story. I expected better from a film Chris Nolan is involved with.

Personally, I would have also preferred that they save Zod for a later film. Let Supes deal with some more "real-world" issues before hitting him with a villain that is nearly his equal. That would allow for more character development and story with fewer buildings falling down.

My two cents.

ThemeParks4Life

Man of Steel....
Liked it, didn't love it.
It was a bit too....Transformers-ish for me. Too much destruction, not enough story. I expected better from a film Chris Nolan is involved with.

Personally, I would have also preferred that they save Zod for a later film. Let Supes deal with some more "real-world" issues before hitting him with a villain that is nearly his equal. That would allow for more character development and story with fewer buildings falling down.

My two cents.
After TDKR I don't know what you were expecting from Nolan.

ParentsOf4

If they let 80% in front of you, logistically, the FP line would never move. Physically the line with the most people passing through it would be the longest.
There are times when FP gets 80% or even over 90% of some popular attractions' capacity and, if you are in the Standby line, it does feel like the line is not moving.

I'll pick on what are perhaps the two most egregious examples: TSM and Soarin'. Both have pretty low capacities, perhaps in the range of about 1100-to-1300 per hour depending on how smoothly the loading/unloading process is running.

On low attendance days, the ratio of FP-to-Standby distribution is about 2-to-1 . As attendance increases, the ratio increases in favor of FP. On extremely crowded days (think Easter or Christmas) the ratio climbs to as high as 10-to-1. When the ratio is that high, only about 100 Standby guests are allowed through for every 1000 FP guests. When the ratio gets this high, you can imagine what it's like being a CM working the merge point.

There's a reason some attractions develop 240-minute Standby lines during the holidays and it's not simply because of crowd levels.

It's been posted that FP+ will reduce the ratios, allocating more capacity to Standby. However, like so much about MyMagic+, what's "true" today might not be "true" tomorrow.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Pixar isn't what it once was because they are cranking out sequels rather than new ideas.

I personally don't have a problem with sequels as long the proper effort is put into them to make then good movies, instead of just relying on the success of the original to carry a sub-par sequel. I loved Toy Story II and III. The first movie created some great characters and it would have been a shame to only ever see them for 1 1/2 hours worth of story. I always thought it was funny that people complain about sequels, yet will watch season after season of a TV show which is effectively dozens if not hundreds of "sequels" to the first episode.

BigThunderMatt

The way it was once described was that themed archways would be placed throughout the parks. The arches could read the number of bands going through them (not necessarily individual names but who knows). If there were huge crowds say down Sunset Blvd. at DHS then the FP machines would spit out FP's for Star Tours or Muppets with your ToT FP. The additional FP would be automated through the machine based on where the crowds are located in hopes to spread them out.

Well that won't be happening in any of the current implementation as the old-school FastPass machines will be phased out very shortly.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
These numbers astonish me. Mostly because they change every time someone posts something about it. Where are these numbers coming from. I'm not saying they aren't true.

Some will have more concrete numbers than others. That varies to what certain individuals are privy to. I can attest first hand that last month I was in Stand By for RnR that they would take 2-5 people from Stand By for EACH preshow loading. All the rest was FP and a COUPLE from SB. After being baffled by that the same thing happened on Space Mountain, ToT, Everest, and Safari.

michmousefan

doctornick

Well that won't be happening in any of the current implementation as the old-school FastPass machines will be phased out very shortly.

There's still the possibility that there will be FP+ kisoks thatcan provide the same "day of" passes but online and stored in the RFID device (magic band, card). Or you could just get "day of" passes online with a smartphone/tablet. I'm not predicting it will happen that way, but the elimination of FP machines in the park doesn't get rid of the possibility of "day of" passes.

Funmeister

Yeah I am trying to remember when that was talked about. It was after Al Weiss and his announcement of "Destination Disney" in the late 90's but not sure when.

Beholder

FastPass, FastPass+, Magic Bands, RFID, room key cards, and interactive this and that, I've got a headache. I'm admit that I'm reluctant to change, especially when the motive for said change is questionable, but forgive me, I like simple. Reading these threads about Next Gen makes me feel a bit "out of the loop". Maybe I'm just old.

michmousefan

I didn't like the final 30 minutes, which felt like 90 as they just went on and on and ...
and the ending was weak and predictable. A new darker Man of Steel who has go go against his principles for this new age was the message ...that was funny later with the drone scene, but not in the way the filmmakers intended.
I also liked Superman Returns, but liked Man of Steel a bit more. The real problem with MOS is the fight sequences, which, as you state, went on and on and on... It's like they had a mandate to out-do The Avengers. Problem there is that with Avengers you have six heroes fighting multiple foes, sometimes in groups of two or three... and Joss was able to keep all of the balls in the air IMO. With MOS you have the same two battling it out on repeat. We get it after round three; but Snyder/Goyer wanted to show us all nine rounds.

It's as if there was a Warner Bros executive in the edit room repeatedly pushing the "More Cowbell!" button.

But... I did like the increased emphasis on the alien-on-earth angle, and I think Cavill has the potential to equal Reeve as a great Superman.

NoChesterHester

I personally don't have a problem with sequels as long the proper effort is put into them to make then good movies, instead of just relying on the success of the original to carry a sub-par sequel. I loved Toy Story II and III. The first movie created some great characters and it would have been a shame to only ever see them for 1 1/2 hours worth of story. I always thought it was funny that people complain about sequels, yet will watch season after season of a TV show which is effectively dozens if not hundreds of "sequels" to the first episode.

I don't either per se.

My point really was only, Pixar was considered so creative and edgy because every story for a decade was original. No retreads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom