Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

nytimez

Speaking about animation, have any of you seen the previews for the new Mickey Mouse cartoons that will be airing on the Disney Channel?

I am very excited for new show with the whole gang and having my kids being able to experience that show...however...

I am very dissappointed with the style of animation they are using! Talk about throwing tradition out the window!!! It upsets me that they didn't keep it traditional :(

I actually think they look pretty good - and it's nice that the characters are getting personalities that are above the preschool level for once.

culturenthrills

... but it doesn't even NEED it. The longest I waited in line for HM was 10 minutes- and that was the smack middle of the afternoon, on a weekend. On Mother's Day, no less.

The interactive que is cute, for sure, but after seeing it once you're kinda done and over it.
is

And this is the flaw with FP plus, you are going to end up waiting in longer lines and being able to do less during your day, all at higher prices and with a nice plastic band.

stlphil

I don't think emotions should allow a company to gouge consumers and when I think of $300-400 a night at the DLH, that's what I think is happening.

And since you are at the BCV now, what kind of shape are the units in? What about the carpeting? Couldn't help but notice the 'temp' stuff on the first floor when I was there last month.
Agree about the gouging, just pointing out that there is an emotion component to staying at that hotel.

Interesting that you should mention the BCV carpet. I never should have seen that temp stuff on the first floor since it is just past the main elevators. But both main elevators were out yesterday, so we had to go past that area of "lovely" carpet to get to the single alternate elevator at the back. Oh, and if you're thinking "poor Disney, what bad luck to have both elevators go out at once", well one of those elevators has been out all week. Instead of fixing it right away like they should have, they let it fester until they are in the mess they find themselves in now. Yesterday they had CM's stationed by the broken elevators, just standing there directing guests to the other elevator. It took them hours to print up signs. This morning they were comping Bell Services from the rooms, and those are taking forever with the single elevator, especially near check out time. I really feel for those heading down from the third floor, as the elevator is already full from those on the higher floors and there is no way for them to get on. One large group ended up riding up from the third floor just so they could go down (of course preventing those on the higher floors from boarding). "Deluxe" accommodations indeed.

More of my thoughts on the state of world coming after my trip when I get more time.

bubbles1812

Conjecture. We don't know that for certain.
Isn't it a well established fact that FP in general slows down standby lines? When you are sending through 80% FP and only 20% SB, you are going to have a guaranteed longer SB line. It's just simple math. I really don't think it's "conjecture" to assume that. Seems logical to me... And the addition of the extended cemetery queue would suggest Disney thinks it is going to happen. They don't spend money without a reason.

Mister Boo

So is Fast Pass 2.0 actually increasing the number of fast passes or simply cutting into the portion that was generally available at the kiosks anyway? If its the latter it still sucks but I don't know that it will increase waits any further.

NoChesterHester

Isn't it a well established fact that FP in general slows down standby lines? When you are sending through 80% FP and only 20% SB, you are going to have a guaranteed longer SB line. It's just simple math. I really don't think it's "conjecture" to assume that. Seems logical to me... And the addition of the extended cemetery queue would suggest Disney thinks it is going to happen. They don't spend money without a reason.

Fastpasses absolutely increase stand by times, but could we have better distribution of them though out the park with this system? Better peak time management? I don't know yet... I'm hoping that with statistical models they would be able to better level out the crowds and make it actually better.

Again, I don't know. I do like some of the "promises" of the system and I can see how it would be of benefit.

bubbles1812

Fastpasses absolutely increase stand by times, but could we have better distribution of them though out the park with this system? Better peak time management? I don't know yet... I'm hoping that with statistical models they would be able to better level out the crowds and make it actually better.

Again, I don't know. I do like some of the "promises" of the system and I can see how it would be of benefit.
I see your point... But the extended queues just suggest to me that Disney is expecting longer lines. Not to mention they are adding FPs to attractions that simply do not need them, which just seems like a colossal waste of time and money. I'm just skeptical they will be able to distribute crowds the way they want to. The most popular rides are still going to be the most popular rides. That's where people are going to migrate to. They aren't going to be able to force people to the Tiki Room over Splash Mountain. No amount of statistical models is going to change that.

doctornick

It would make if they were going to replace B&TB to do so before the rumoured big project, so that they would have something new to promote on one side of the park while the other side was being torn down. Also, if what people are saying about the capacity of Indiana Jones, then it would make sense to keep it open as long as possible while they replaced Backlot Tour/LMA.

It would also make sense to replace VOTLM at the same time/just after B&TB, but it depends on whether that could be where Muppets could be moving to, and whether they would want two Muppet attractions open in two different areas of the park.

The could also use the Premiere Theater for a show at some point if they needed capacity. I'm thinking it would make some sense to put something there (bring back Hunchback or even just move BatB to there for its final run) while they are redoing the current BatB/VOTLM shows.

Goofyernmost

These numbers astonish me. Mostly because they change every time someone posts something about it. Where are these numbers coming from. I'm not saying they aren't true, I just don't really have any access to actual figures so I have to use my common sense on this one. I have stood in many standby lines over the years. I use FP only when absolutely necessary. I have watched people approach via the FP entrance and frankly it just doesn't make sense. If 80% ridership was allocated for FP, it would stand to reason that the FP line would be stretching out to the park entrance. Even if they called it Super Fastpass, they still can only get so many people on each ride per hour. If they let 80% in front of you, logistically, the FP line would never move. Physically the line with the most people passing through it would be the longest.

When this first was started all those moons ago, the figure was about 30% were to be FP and the rest where to be standby. Logically, that makes more sense, since this would effectively slow down the standby line to a snails pace but not stop it completely. If the were handing out, 80% FP's, theoretically they wouldn't be out of them as early as they are since the entire 100% of the guests would not have arrived yet and you can only get one every two hours, give or take.

I do not know what ratio they are handed out, but I sincerely doubt that 80% is the right number, I would not give it anymore then 40% on the busiest day. Perhaps someone with inside knowledge can convince me otherwise but for now...I'm having trouble accepting the numbers.

doctornick

Love all the different opinions on the Pixar movies. For me, Incredibles was great start to finish, UP was ok overall, and Wall-E was just so bad.

Count me among the Wall-E downers as well. I mean, the movie was fine and I don't hate it necessarily but I have no desire to rewatch it. I don't get the hype.

Love Incredibles, Up, all the Toy Story films. Basically, other than Wall-E, I thought every Pixar film was great until Cars 2 and Braves. I also think that Cars (the orginal) gets a unfair rep. It's was certainly quality with engaging characters and a moving plot. I think people take all the 5 year old boys who are obsessed with the franchise and project that it must not be good, but it is up to the typical Pixar standards.

I saw Monsters U today, really liked it.

bubbles1812

These numbers astonish me. Mostly because they change every time someone posts something about it. Where are these numbers coming from. I'm not saying they aren't true, I just don't really have any access to actual figures so I have to use my common sense on this one. I have stood in many standby lines over the years. I use FP only when absolutely necessary. I have watched people approach via the FP entrance and frankly it just doesn't make sense. If 80% ridership was allocated for FP, it would stand to reason that the FP line would be stretching out to the park entrance. Even if they called it Super Fastpass, they still can only get so many people on each ride per hour. If they let 80% in front of you, logistically, the FP line would never move. Physically the line with the most people passing through it would be the longest.

When this first was started all those moons ago, the figure was about 30% were to be FP and the rest where to be standby. Logically, that makes more sense, since this would effectively slow down the standby line to a snails pace but not stop it completely. If the were handing out, 80% FP's, theoretically they wouldn't be out of them as early as they are since the entire 100% of the guests would not have arrived yet and you can only get one every two hours, give or take.

I do not know what ratio they are handed out, but I sincerely doubt that 80% is the right number, I would not give it anymore then 40% on the busiest day. Perhaps someone with inside knowledge can convince me otherwise but for now...I'm having trouble accepting the numbers.
I never said they were handing out 80% FPs the way you seem to have interpreted my statement? It's a ratio that you have to think about. For every 1 person sent to ride via Stand by, 4 are sent from the FP line. In my experience, Id say that is pretty much what happens. I'm sorry I didnt phrase it that well.

But to answer your question, I got my numbers from CMs on here. I would imagine it varies a bit depending on the day, time of year, ect but that's been the number I've seen most consistently.

Goofyernmost

I see your point... But the extended queues just suggest to me that Disney is expecting longer lines. Not to mention they are adding FPs to attractions that simply do not need them, which just seems like a colossal waste of time and money. I'm just skeptical they will be able to distribute crowds the way they want to. The most popular rides are still going to be the most popular rides. That's where people are going to migrate to. They aren't going to be able to force people to the Tiki Room over Splash Mountain. No amount of statistical models is going to change that.
Not if you figure that they will be giving and controlling the numbers that go at any given time. You ask for 3PM for Soarin, they can say...sorry we are filled up at 3PM, how about one for Norway? That would mean that one less person would hold a FP for Soarin at that time, that one person would then be taking up a space in line for Maelstrom, that really didn't need one anyway. And think about how only allowing the alleged 3 per day when many people have used 6 or more. As a guest making your selections you have absolutely no way of knowing if they are out for that time or are just not issuing more at that time.

If you say, for example, I don't want one for Tiki and they say...sorry that's all I got and you still refuse to take it then you have to go through all your favorites until you find one that they say has an opening or, like it was suggested someplace, you get 3 per day whether you choose them or not. They may just be able to give you three at random that you can use or not, but there they are. It is going to be nothing but interesting to see how this all actually ends up working. In the meantime, I'm going to be looking up the rates for Universal.

NoChesterHester

I see your point... But the extended queues just suggest to me that Disney is expecting longer lines. Not to mention they are adding FPs to attractions that simply do not need them, which just seems like a colossal waste of time and money. I'm just skeptical they will be able to distribute crowds the way they want to.

They are adding FP's to attractions that don't need them to spread out the demand. How else would they spread out the crowds?
The most popular rides are still going to be the most popular rides. That's where people are going to migrate to. They aren't going to be able to force people to the Tiki Room over Splash Mountain. No amount of statistical models is going to change that.

We have already seen in testing that FP+'s are limited for the most popular attractions. You can't book a FP for Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and Peter Pan's Flight in the same day. The system makes you choose FP's from categories. This is what I mean by "spreading out the crowds."

I'm not saying it will work in practice, I can just see the logic.

doctornick

But the people in the FP+ line are now no longer somewhere else. So, a longer wait at HM means a shorter wait somewhere else. The capacity of the rides isn't changing, so total wait times aren't going to change, just be redistributed (assuming static park attendence).

The only argument that I can see that makes sense about worsening waits is that superusers of FP are going to be hurt if they cannot get as many passes and will be in standby lines more. But that is balanced by FP ignorant users (especially first timers) who will now be getting FP+ and using them where they wouln't before. So, some people will be potentially be helped and others hurt by the implementation of FP+. And it's conceivable that if FP+ pushes people to underused attractions (ones that don't run to capacity, like CoP or TTA) that it will make wait times in total come down, but shifting some people out of the lines for more popular rides.

In any event, it's impossible for FP+ to cause everyone to have longer total wait times because it doesn't change the capacity and put-through of the rides, just redistributes who rides when; so for everyone taking longer to get on a ride, someone has to be getting on quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom