Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I also liked Superman Returns, but liked Man of Steel a bit more. The real problem with MOS is the fight sequences, which, as you state, went on and on and on... It's like they had a mandate to out-do The Avengers. Problem there is that with Avengers you have six heroes fighting multiple foes, sometimes in groups of two or three... and Joss was able to keep all of the balls in the air IMO. With MOS you have the same two battling it out on repeat. We get it after round three; but Snyder/Goyer wanted to show us all nine rounds.

It's as if there was a Warner Bros executive in the edit room repeatedly pushing the "More Cowbell!" button.

But... I did like the increased emphasis on the alien-on-earth angle, and I think Cavill has the potential to equal Reeve as a great Superman.

I just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was really well done UNTIL the fight scenes. Not that they weren't great, they were, but I found myself getting alittle bored with them.

The Smallville battle was great. But by the end it was getting alittle tired and old...they could easily have cut those down and kept (if not magnified) the effect of the scenes.

It does make me excited for a sequel...

Anyhow, I think your analysis sums it up perfectly.

Sneezy62

It's been posted that FP+ will reduce the ratios, allocating more capacity to Standby. However, like so much about MyMagic+, what's "true" today might not be "true" tomorrow.

Exactly. Lets say when this rolls out the ratio for TSMM (or Peter Pan, or Soarin') drops from 80% to 60% (or insert whatever numbers you are comfy with), standby lines will move quicker. Very soon though word will spread that to get FP+ for the attraction one needs to reserve it at latest 10 days before arrival because during busy times they are gone by day of. The bloggers will quickly start suggesting 20 days before cuz they want to make it seem like they are more knowledgeable than their competitors. This will compound until "you absolutely, positively have to reserve at 6am 60 days out" whether that is a fact for most dates or not. That's propagated until it does become fact that TSMM FP+ is gone within a couple of days of that magical day 60. Suddenly "you're ruining you kids WDW experience" if you forget to log in until day 57. Disney starts getting cancellations on day 52-57 and notice the trend. "OK, boys lets increase the ratio!"

Oh and that magic first hour when FP return is just kicking in due to the 9:40am first return is gone, because a full allotment has been distributed with the return time of 9am -10am. Look at the parks that are opening early and the 9:40 first return is now 9:25.

NoChesterHester

It has been stated multiple times and I believe it to be true. Toy Story's insane demand isn't as much due to its excellence as it is the only truly family friendly attraction in a park short on things to do. More attractions would greatly alleviate the congestion at Toy Story.

As far as not getting a Fast Pass, if you get to Hollywood Studios now past 10:30 you aren't getting a fast pass anyway. It didn't ruin my vacation last time to not have a little paper ticket, we just brave the Stand By.

So much complaining by so many that have never even used a system yet.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It has been stated multiple times and I believe it to be true. Toy Story's insane demand isn't as much due to its excellence as it is the only truly family friendly attraction in a park short on things to do. More attractions would greatly alleviate the congestion at Toy Story.

As far as not getting a Fast Pass, if you get to Hollywood Studios now past 10:30 you aren't getting a fast pass anyway. It didn't ruin my vacation last time to not have a little paper ticket, we just brave the Stand By.

So much complaining by so many that have never even used a system yet.
Ah, but just imagine if you could book Toy Story Mania at 4p of Friday 60 days out!

Just think how much that would enhance your experience playing an overgrown video game?

You wouldn't need to worry about a busted up Mr. Potato head and other queue issues...because you would only have to wait in the Fastpass Line, behind the other 700 people who ALSO booked it at 4p on Friday!

Magical!

NoChesterHester

yes, but people still pack the theater: Monsters University $82M weekend: This is the 14th out of 14 Pixar feature releases to debut #1 and also with ‘A-’ to ‘A+’ CinemaScores. Can’t beat that incredible record of success

It is awesome.

By the way, I was speaking in generalities as to the perception on why Pixar has lost it's edge. I don't necessarily take issue with sequels. Sometimes there is more story to tell.

Cosmic Commando

It is awesome.

By the way, I was speaking in generalities as to the perception on why Pixar has lost it's edge. I don't necessarily take issue with sequels. Sometimes there is more story to tell.

The Good Dinosaur, the Dia de los Muertos movie, and (especially) Inside Out seem like more unconventional stories coming up all within a few years of each other. Let's see how those are and then talk about how Pixar has lost its edge.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sunday Spirited musings ... How do people truly enjoy visiting Florida in the summer? ... So, Monsters U makes it a perfect 14 of 14 No. 1 openings for Pixar. Looks like they'll have no trouble making a profit on this one, unlike Brave. ... I haven't seen it yet, so can we keep the spoilers out until it's been in theaters two weeks? ... This isn't news, but I haven't seen it mentioned here yet so TDL will be getting a show similar to DLP's Disney Dreams in 2014 (to follow up on the 30th since they continually ADD and FRESHEN the product in Tokyo) that will be called Once Upon a Time. At TDS they are (sadly) killing the wonderful Mythica show with no replacement announced yet (although there will be one) in '14 as well and the Mermaid show will be getting a major redo/rethinking. ... David Gregory, you sir are an embarrassment to journalism. ... Word from O-town is that all parks are busy (clearly there are millions of people who will visit Florida, no matter how miserable the weather). ... Had a great meal at Bongos, just not the DD location. ... Expect work on Poly DVC to commence in early 2014, they will waste no time on this. ... I think another cruise sounds great! ... Does Splash Mountain still look good or are they letting it fall apart already? ... Forgot to mention this, but Tony Baxter's painting was returned to the BTMRR queue a few weeks ago in a place where hopefully the pigs can't get to it. ... Wonder where all those Americans are getting the money/jobs that allow them to spend money to visit WDW and spend $400-plus a night on lodging alone? Thanks the NSA for those great government jobs (bet the Stasi didn't pay as well!) ... If Le Cellier is fine dining to you, then you haven't had fine dining before. ... So, what do I want for lunch on November 3rd at 2:00? ... Aaron Hernandez, you were a class act at UF and you are in the NFL. ... I'd rather be climbing a mountain then riding one. ...

rael ramone

but I still crave and mourn for WDW's original Italian salad dressing from the 70s and 80s .

"Cooking With Mickey Volume II" (no date of publishing on the book) has the recipe for Tony's House Dressing. It's the Italian dressing we use at home (w/ some modifications), and it is fantastic. (I don't know how it compares to what Tony's serves back then or now since I've never eaten there).

Disney cookbooks (esp. older ones) are a treasure trove of recipes that are both aspirational as well as accessible (often w/ few and/or simple ingredients that's easy to replicate at home).

Aspirational yet accessible. Words that could describe what WDW was once as a whole.

asianway

"Cooking With Mickey Volume II" (no date of publishing on the book) has the recipe for Tony's House Dressing. It's the Italian dressing we use at home (w/ some modifications), and it is fantastic. (I don't know how it compares to what Tony's serves back then or now since I've never eaten there).

Disney cookbooks (esp. older ones) are a treasure trove of recipes that are both aspirational as well as accessible (often w/ few and/or simple ingredients that's easy to replicate at home).

Aspirational yet accessible. Words that could describe what WDW was once as a whole.
Top of the World Caesar dressing mmmm

WDW1974

Original Poster
More Spirited Sunday musings ... Is it just me or has no one commented on the MAJOR reduction in EMH hours this summer? Or hours in general. ... MK is now 9-11 nightly (no scheduled midnight closings) and EMH is now one night a week at both MK and EPCOT. That's a savings of EIGHT hours in labor over last summer. And many nights DAK is closing at 7 instead of 8. ... If you hAVen't noticed or don't care, TDO loves you and looks forward to your continued support when EMH goes away completely at the end of next year. ... Ever been to Ecuador? Me neither, but maybe one day. ... The more I think about Man of Steel, the less I like it. ... How much are those Adventureland Pirate maps going for on eBay (someone has offered me a box of them and my Spirited travel fund needs a lift)? ... Do you think Disney should sell merchandise that was marketed as only for DVCers or APers etc to any/every one at their outlet stores? ... Speaking of outlet stores, nice to see that AMS liquidators (which owned the west coast and temp Disney outlets) is going out of business. I used to love those stores when they offered nice stuff that was truly discounted. I don,t visit outlets to save 14% or buy items that never even saw a shelf at DLR. So, you got what was coming. ... Has anyone died yet from lacking a cinnamon bun when at the MK? And are they the most overrated Disney treat or is that honor still held by Dole Whips? ... What do Disney bloggers/podcasters/Lifestylers have in common with NBA superstars? They don't pay for their booze tabs either. The NBA champion Miami Heat ran up a $100,000 tabs at club Story on SoBE this weekend, including 100 bottles of Dom Perignon , and the entire bill wax comped. Before anyone takes a shot at me, I have never run up a tab over 20 grand, myself.

Computer Magic

. ... MK is now 9-11 nightly (no scheduled midnight closings) and EMH is now one night a week at both MK and EPCOT. That's a savings of EIGHT hours in labor over last summer. And many nights DAK is closing at 7 instead of 8. ... If you hAVen't noticed or don't care, TDO loves you and looks forward to your continued support when EMH goes away completely at the end of next year. ... .
Cool way for Disney to increase their profit. Charge more and close earlier. However, is the true issue no one is spending time in the parks after 11pm or 7pm at AK. Seems keeping the park open would have a better chance in guest spending money instead of returning to their resort. Or worse, do these guest head off site.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Embassy off of East Frontera?

No ... Radisson Suites. Wonderful place you can walk to Knott's from and drive to DLR in 10-15 minutes. Also like the Sheraton in Cerritos. But, again, I have this idea that most Disney fans fly to SoCal and don't even rent a car so the notion of staying in Buena Park, Cerritos or Fullerton (love the Marriott there) would be like going to WDW and staying in Tampa.

Animaniac93-98

With all the talk of comic book movies, you know which one only looks better with age? The Rocketeer. Simple, sincere and with period style, but not brainless or loud for the sake of noisemaking, and with a score you can actually remember after you've heard it. Compared with the blockbusters of today it almost looks "quaint".

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've been thinking about this a lot and have wondered if Disney has even thought about how they are complicating an already relatively complicated process. Granted, they have to work out the website kinks but even assuming they manage to (judging by how it has been going thus far, it's a big if), imagining a person who has never been trying to sort thru all the different features and components that now go into a Disney vacation... I can easily see it being a huge turn off.

Even now, I can't tell you how many people don't realize that to get a half way decent meal, you have to reserve months in advance (which in and of itself is totally ridiculous). But now they are looking to add in the concept of ordering meals in advance... It could help with flow... Maybe... But their system goes offline and has so many things wrong with it, you can't tell me things are going to go wrong there. Not to mention people will still have to "check in" for their order so it isn't like it saves tons of time.

And that's just ONE component. So it's definitely a legit question to consider: How much is too much before people just say to hell with it, we will go somewhere else!? Has Disney even thought about it?

This week, I was privy to a situation in which a company as large as Disney completely missed out on something key to the future growth of their business. No one at ANY level of management had a clue. So, to answer your question I'll simply say that when Disney decides they're doing something, they're going to do it and damn the consequences.

FWIW, I have heard they still are having issues with people logging onto the site and pulling up the info of others. This isn't close to being solved and MM+ isn't close to being able to go live. Oh, and they're doing another major test from July 8th to 13th where they are giving CMs free rooms for the night and trying to test the system again.

bubbles1812

If Le Cellier is fine dining to you, then you haven't had fine dining before. ... So, what do I want for lunch on November 3rd at 2:00?
Lol. This is honestly what I think every time I see people raving about the food at Disney. I mean don't get me wrong, Disney does have some decent to good food to offer at Epcot and the resorts, but the way people rave about it, you'd have thought they were dining in the most expensive restaurant in NY. Disney offers good food that I have enjoyed (that is way overpriced), but it isn't fine dining in any sense at the majority of the restaurants with the possible exception of Albert and Victoria's.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The over planning elements to MM+ are a total turnoff! I think it's already a struggle to find a good non crowded time to go, make dinner resos 6 months in advance and your lucky if u get what u want! I do think that the bracelets being used as park tickets and door openers is great, but seriously having to plan what I want to ride 60 days in advance is rediculous! Planning a Disney trip is hectic enough and I don't see this helping lines at all? I don't really get it??

And having a bracelet that I can use to purchase items is not going to make me buy more? I don't get that either? I I want it I will buy it if not o well! I do agree merch has been pretty bad as of late, te only good merch they have are all the different themed Mikey eArs!

It is very simple. The more you plan at WDW, the less chance you will ever leave Disney property and head over to UNI, SW or the Olive Garden.

The other side of this is how many people are going to feel like a WDW vacation is anything but a vacation and opt for UNI and SW and other places?

I walk on attractions at WDW ALL THE TIME (and I don't have a GAC, just a brain). If I have to wait 40 minutes at 10 at night for Pirates or Mansion, then they can keep their much less MAGICal product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom