Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I don't consider any of Disney's "coasters" big at all, considering I've been to coaster parks and have been on rides that make the Disney ones look like baby rides.

California Screamin' coaster at DCA is a true coaster, and is fantastic. Best Disney coaster I've ever been on, with respect to being a true "coaster". That being said, it's merely "meh" compared to other parks, agreed.

Californian Elitist

California Screamin' coaster at DCA is a true coaster, and is fantastic. Best Disney coaster I've ever been on, with respect to being a true "coaster". That being said, it's merely "meh" compared to other parks, agreed.

Yeah, "meh" is a good word. I love it, too, but when compared to the big ones there's no competition, specifically in terms of thrills, heights, etc..

Lee

Adventurer
I just have to say, though I haven't seen it in person, I LOOOOOVE Crystal Wings, such a great themed rollercoaster for a park
Agreed. Black Mamba, too.
image.jpg

Bolna

Agreed. Black Mamba, too.View attachment 28922

That's not the best picture, but is an amazing coaster. And the whole area is very pretty and well themed, I thought. I was there in 2006 (I think it opened that year) and was quite amazed with the level of theming in that area, it was much better than most of the rest of Phantasialand.

bubbles1812

I don't consider any of Disney's "coasters" big at all, considering I've been to coaster parks and have been on rides that make the Disney ones look like baby rides.
Yeah I would have to agree. I like them a lot for what they are and enjoy the theming but they simply aren't "big" coasters. I think RNRC has the same track as Superman in one of the Sox Flags parks maybe? You see that out in the open for what it is, and it's simply not that impressive, which is why it sometimes astounds me how scared some people get at the thought of going on it. Same with Everest. I love the giant coasters like the ones at Cedar Point. It's never bothered me none of them have theming... That's not the point of those rides at all. Probably is blasphemy to say it on here but sometimes rides can go without a ton of theming and still be darn good rides.

Californian Elitist

Yeah I would have to agree. I like them a lot for what they are and enjoy the theming but they simply aren't "big" coasters. I think RNRC has the same track as Superman in one of the Sox Flags parks maybe? You see that out in the open for what it is, and it's simply not that impressive, which is why it sometimes astounds me how scared some people get at the thought of going on it. Same with Everest. I love the giant coasters like the ones at Cedar Point. It's never bothered me none of them have theming... That's not the point of those rides at all. Probably is blasphemy to say it on here but sometimes rides can go without a ton of theming and still be darn good rides.

Couldn't agree more.

lazyboy97o

Yeah I would have to agree. I like them a lot for what they are and enjoy the theming but they simply aren't "big" coasters. I think RNRC has the same track as Superman in one of the Sox Flags parks maybe? You see that out in the open for what it is, and it's simply not that impressive, which is why it sometimes astounds me how scared some people get at the thought of going on it. .
Xpress at Walibi Holland. It opened as Superman the Ride when the park was Six Flags Holland.

The Empress Lilly

I agree the ride itself can still be excellent. For me, bare-track Dueling Dragons is (are?) one the best coasters in Orlando.

But a Disney park needs more than good rides. The whole must be more than the sum of its parts. The ride needs to strenghten the land's theme, thematically and visually (and for all the other senses).

In this regard, Everest is a great coaster. The mountain creates the setting for the entire (sub)land, provides it with the necessary visual cues, and the land in turn creates the setting for the mountain. It is fantastic storytelling, far more important than the Yeti spotting.

bubbles1812

I agree the ride itself can still be excellent. For me, bare-track Dueling Dragons is (are?) one the best coasters in Orlando.

But a Disney park needs more than good rides. The whole must be more than the sum of its parts. The ride needs to strenghten the land's theme, thematically and visually (and for all the other senses).

In this regard, Everest is a great coaster. The mountain creates the setting for the entire (sub)land, provides it with the necessary visual cues, and the land in turn creates the setting for the mountain. It is fantastic storytelling, far more important than the Yeti spotting.
I agree with you but the way most act on here, the yeti spotting is FAR more important than any of what you listed. I don't find the disco yeti all that big a deal but then I did get to see it in A mode a few times. Can understand why it's important especially of you never got to see it.

BryceM

Sadly, Dueling Dragons used to be much better when it was actually known as Dueling Dragons. The sight of them dueling was unlike anything else. It was quite the visual spectacle, whether on-ride or off-ride. It didn't need exterior theming because of how awe-insipiring it was. Factor in the old dragon statues, the old story, the queue... Oh, the queue. That was one of the best queues I had ever walked through. The change from Dueling Dragons to Dragon Challenge is the one thing I don't like about WWoHP. Now it's viewed as visual intrusion on Hogsmeade. Sigh.

But of course you're talking about the pure coaster part of the ride. I do think that the Fire Dragon has to be the most intense coaster in Florida. I always walk off dizzy and feeling like I'm going to fall over, haha. And Ice Dragon has that AWESOME zero-g roll.

What's funny is that I find the most intense Disney coaster to be Space Mountain... Wooooo.

the.dreamfinder

I agree with you but the way most act on here, the yeti spotting is FAR more important than any of what you listed. I don't find the disco yeti all that big a deal but then I did get to see it in A mode a few times. Can understand why it's important especially of you never got to see it.
Disco Yeti represents Disney's lack of desire to uphold the show standards that made them the best in the industry by far. It's not so much the fact the yeti broke, even though the explanation given by @Lee indicates either poor communication and or incompetence, it's their reaction to it. If Disney said, we cannot open this attraction without a properly operating yeti and we need to delay the opening so we can address the lubrication issue (no fanboi jokes) because we're Disney and we believe in offering our guests the best experience possible. There would be no issue. However, that's not what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom