Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the themed elements of Everest, not the thrill factor. I'm sure anyone can name a metric ton of coasters that destroy anything Disney built from a thrill perspective, but they're usually just ugly naked track and don't have any themed elements to them. Universal is one of the only well known parks I can think of that has attempted to build coasters on par with Disney's level of theming. And there still exist plenty of Universal coasters that are just naked and exposed track.

Of course there is good reason for this. For many of the biggest coasters, you have a very HUGE track area, and the speeds are usually upwards of 60-100+ MPH....2 reasons why theming isn't really that easy or useful. Sure, having exposed track takes away some theming opportunities, but most guests probably don't care as much.

In Florida there's the added problem of not being able to build too far down in the ground, so a coaster setup like Dueling Dragons couldn't be built 100 feet down in the trenches, though it would have made it cooler IMO.

misterID

The planet Earth doesn't have many good themed coasters, under the premise that anything with a naked track-pylon portion (e.g. Dueling Dragons, Mystery Mine, On Crystal Wings, Manta, etc.) would not qualify as wholly-themed. A fully-themed coaster is a rarity, and to my knowledge, only Disney has achieved it out-of-doors. (Kudos to them for continuing to do it with HK's Grizzly Mountain and the Dwarfs' Mine Train).

It would be great to see Universal complete its first outdoor, fully-themed coaster with this Amber Mine Ride rumor.

Wouldn't the amber mine take place indoors... Like a mine? I didn't even consider it being outdoors for any significant length, until I read this post. There's so much more potential of cool effects if it was indoors, with some outdoor moments.

PhotoDave219

Lol, there is no coaster I won't ride. But I'm not immune to fear! I'm not doing Summit Plummet!! I'm as chicken as the Cadbury Bunny!! Bawk-bawk-bawk! But I wouldn't look down on anyone for being afraid, anyway. :)

What's wrong with summit plummet?

It's a lot of fun & you get all wet

RandySavage

Wouldn't the amber mine take place indoors... Like a mine? I didn't even consider it being outdoors for any significant length, until I read this post. There's so much more potential of cool effects if it was indoors, with some outdoor moments.
Fair point. I had automatically imagined something similar to Big Thunder, but it could easily be majority indoors. Maybe those in the know can enlighten us.

Regarding theme-ing outdoor mega-coasters, as Chris noted, we don't see it because of the expense involved and hitherto only Disney has had the deep pockets and expertise to pull it off on more moderate-scaled coasters.

Crystal Wings is an interesting case, because they built massive theme-ing for it, but then did nothing to imbed, conceal or theme the track and pylons:
happyvalley_34_149.jpg

Then there was this concept by former WDI Thom Schillenger to disguise the pylons as tree trunks.

Tarzan_CompB-01b.jpg

Tarzan_CompC-01b.jpg

http://3dconceptualdesigner.blogspot.com/2010/12/project-review-wdi-tarzan-project.html

And my own take on theme-ing the old Dueling Dragons:
http://idealbuildout.blogspot.com/2013/02/universal-islands-of-adventure.html

Now, back to the Spirited news...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I just have to say, though I haven't seen it in person, I LOOOOOVE Crystal Wings, such a great themed rollercoaster for a park

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I've never been to a Six Flags or Cedar Point, but we have two (IMO) awesome coasters at Canada's Wonderland - Leviathan and Behemoth.
My teenage sons think it's pretty cool that their 45 year old momma sits in the very front, and rides no hands the whole way. I'm all about the steep drops; couldn't care less about loops or going backwards. The best thing about these two B&M coasters is the non-intrusive restraint system. Your shoulders and arms are completely unencumbered, and the view looking staight down from the top of that first hill is incredible.
Those two coasters, Drop Zone and the bumper cars are really all I look forward to riding though. The rest of the park is meh.

RandySavage

I just have to say, though I haven't seen it in person, I LOOOOOVE Crystal Wings, such a great themed rollercoaster for a park

^The fortress is incredibly cool and its scale is awe-inspiring. But there is the missed opportunity of not integrating the coaster pylons/track into one seamless attraction. Such a 'full-theme' approach would have made CW of the best themed coasters out there (and would, of course, have added considerably to the bill - but if you're going to build a 200ft Fortress, why not go all the away).

Taylor

Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City queue is nicely themed. They let the beauty of the land be the theming while on the coaster

Animaniac93-98

The rest of the park is meh.

I still like The Rage, the raft ride, Spinnovator, Cyclone, Boo Blasters, and others. Mountain projection show isn't bad either. Wish the Stunt Coaster still had all its original effects though and I already miss Songebob, as sad as that sounds.

For $80 for a season's pass, it's a worthwhile park.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I still like The Rage, the raft ride, Spinnovator, Cyclone, Boo Blasters, and others. Mountain projection show isn't bad either. Wish the Stunt Coaster still had all its original effects though and I already miss Songebob, as sad as that sounds.

For $80 for a season's pass, it's a worthwhile park.
And funnel cake.
Do you love Behemoth and Leviathan, though?!

lazyboy97o

I've never been to a Six Flags or Cedar Point, but we have two (IMO) awesome coasters at Canada's Wonderland - Leviathan and Behemoth.

Canada's Wonderland is owned by CedarFair, the same company that owns Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm and a few other parks across the country, including the old Paramount parks.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I do, but not that 1.5 hour wait for Leviathan. Tiny Toms are my junk food of choice there.

I actually like Behemoth more. It's a longer ride I think.
If you don't eat for 2 days before AND 2 days after, you can have Tiny Toms in the morning, and funnel cake just before you go home. WITH strawberries and ice cream.
I actually prefer Behemoth too, but my boys prefer Leviathan.
They also love Riptide - which there is zero chance of me riding ever again.
White Water Canyon is good fun, but I always get soaked to the bone. Might as well hit Timberwolf Falls right after if you're gonna be drenched.
Stunt Coaster (aka - The Italian Job) is a shadow of its former glory.
And whatever they're now calling Top Gun gives me the worst head ache. I ride it, of course, but usually last thing. Just before the funnel cakes and the hour and a half drive home.

Edit - Top Gun = Flight Deck.

lazyboy97o

It's the "air time" thing. Flying off the slide...it scares me. I need my body connected to something!

How about you go ride it and then tell me how it went? :)

There really is no chance for air time. There are no hills.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Canada's Wonderland is owned by CedarFair, the same company that owns Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm and a few other parks across the country, including the old Paramount parks.
Yes, since 2006.
Prior to that, Paramount owned it for a dozen or so years. Before that, according to Wikipedia, it was owned by Taft Broadcasting Company (never heard of them) and Great West Life.
Truth be told, the first time I went to WDW at the age of 22 (1989), I was disappointed with MK and Epcot. I was expecting rides, rides, rides, like Wonderland. It wasn't until my next trip the following year, that I finally got it. Most Disney rides tell a story, and tell it well. It's all about theming, and being immersed in another world.
Despite its recent slip, Disney still does that - better than anyone else. Although . . . Uni is nipping at their heels, and may ultimately beat them at their own game. Only time will tell.

luv

There really is no chance for air time. There are no hills.
This is not what I have heard. Are you saying that your body is totally, at all times, connected to the slide and you do NOT leave it at ALL? Ever at all? You are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS connected to something? (Always?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom