Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.dreamfinder

Skull Island seems like a good possibility. But it would be awkward if Disney somehow got the rights to LotR since Jackson would presumably work on both projects. Note how Spielberg was not involved in Temple of the Forbidden Eye.

lebeau

Would anybody ever visit DAK again if BGT were in Orlando?

Sure they would. For the same reason people visit DAK (and DHS) now. They are included on a multi-day pass. If not for that, those parks would be failing.

Everest, even if Disco Yeti was there. Best coaster I've been on, no contest.

Uh, wha? You must not ride a lot of coasters. Out local amusement has at least a half dozen coasters that are superior to Everest in every way but the themed queue. It's an good ride, but I can't imagine making any "best coaster" list anywhere.

luv

I know everyone will say, "But it is!!!"...still, I don't consider the Mummy a coaster. I think of it as a ride. An excellent ride. One of Orlando's best. I just never feel very coastery on it, so I don't count it as a coaster.

Since I don't count the Mummy, I must vote Everest as best theme for a coaster. If I did count the Mummy, it would be hard to call!!

Kraken still wins for Orlando's Best Coaster, with RRR and Manta in 2nd and 3rd places. But it is subjective!!

And if Millennium Force was in Orlando, I'd vote that for best coaster, like a pp...but it isn't, so...

MerlinTheGoat

Uh, wha? You must not ride a lot of coasters. Out local amusement has at least a half dozen coasters that are superior to Everest in every way but the themed queue. It's an good ride, but I can't imagine making any "best coaster" list anywhere.
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the themed elements of Everest, not the thrill factor. I'm sure anyone can name a metric ton of coasters that destroy anything Disney built from a thrill perspective, but they're usually just ugly naked track and don't have any themed elements to them. Universal is one of the only well known parks I can think of that has attempted to build coasters on par with Disney's level of theming. And there still exist plenty of Universal coasters that are just naked and exposed track.

I don't generally ride coasters unless they have something to look at, lots of incredible environment detail and show quality. I generally detest exposed parts holding the track together. Which is why Big Thunder appeals to me, it wonderfully conceals those aspects underneath brilliant sets and rockwork. Even my older mom will tolerate Big Thunder because of what there is to look at in the ride, despite hating coasters and other similar thrill rides in general (Big Thunder is mild enough where it doesn't bother her enough to stay off as well). It creates an atmospheric immersion that most other coasters in existence just don't come close to.

Funmeister

Characters already interacted before the NextGen project and the interactive masked characters are tangential to but separate from NextGen. NextGen is trying to create a "better" interactivity that comes with the surprise of prior knowledge, not just having a conversation. The Disney face characters already can have a conversation. Mickey talking to you isn't for some time still, NextGen will be part of meet and greets first with Princesses knowing your name. The Transformers don't know anything about you, they can just talk to you like the face characters at both have already done for years.

You are correct. The point of my post was to show that both have a very similar satisfaction level with guests but one costs a lot more to implement then the other. The lines to see Mickey are not going to grow significantly because his mouth moves. People want to see Mickey mainly because it is Mickey.

Your typical guest wants to meet a character to meet the character not because of expensive technology which is the point of my post.

articos

Makes sense to me!

You're right, but I will always defend Sindbad.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to put a Marvel stunt show/musical/whatever in that theater. Would they be allowed to introduce a new Marvel attraction or would Disney now have veto power there?
Hah...Sindbad. That show came together at the very, very last minute during IOA development. The extra "d" always bothers me. Yes, it's accurate to the original Arabic, but still. Bothers me. It's not bad, but I still wouldn't count it as great. Depends a lot on your cast that day. Some of us fought to enclose that theater, which would have made a huge difference, but there wasn't budget left at that point. Now, Disney would have veto power over a new Marvel show, so likely would not happen. Even using current characters they have the rights to, Universal would still have to get permission on content on something new using the characters (especially a permanent show), so Disney/Marvel would have a veto. I believe at one point a Marvel show was developed for that space, but don't know what happened to it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are correct. The point of my post was to show that both have a very similar satisfaction level with guests but one costs a lot more to implement then the other. The lines to see Mickey are not going to grow significantly because his mouth moves. People want to see Mickey mainly because it is Mickey.

Your typical guest wants to meet a character to meet the character not because of expensive technology which is the point of my post.

This is a valid point, kids are happy to see Mickey either way, but to be fair the characters knowing your name is just a small component of NextGen. I'm not a fan of the project and not really trying to defend it, but its not like they spent $2B solely so the princesses will know kids names. Comparing the gobs of money spent by Disney on NextGen to the $59.99 Uiversal spent on a microphone and a set of speakers at Radio Shack isn't really apples to apples.

ThemeParks4Life

I'm slowly working my way up to the bigger coasters, but Everest is the perfect blend of theming, thrills, and disco.

Funmeister

This is a valid point, kids are happy to see Mickey either way, but to be fair the characters knowing your name is just a small component of NextGen. I'm not a fan of the project and not really trying to defend it, but its not like they spent $2B solely so the princesses will know kids names. Comparing the gobs of money spent by Disney on NextGen to the $59.99 Uiversal spent on a microphone and a set of speakers at Radio Shack isn't really apples to apples.

I agree with what you are saying. I apologize if I came across implying that the talking character initiative at Disney cost $2B. But that technology is part of the bigger picture which is NextGen or as old Al Weiss coined the phrase "Destination Disney" years ago.

It is safe to say that even though they did not spend $2B on the talking characters it is a significant amount more than what Universal is spending. Also, I think you can compare the guest satisfaction apples to apples. Does Disney plan to implement the technology with all meet and greet characters? How do you explain to a child why Mickey and Minnie can blink, interact and move their mouths but Mr. Smee, Buzz and Woody cannot?

tissandtully

There is one expansion pad next to River Adventure. There's something planned to take the Trike Encounter space as well.

Nothing's stuck, but nothing really good has been done there. UIOA's weak spot has always been shows. That theater is in a weird spot, though, too, making it hard for guest flow to get back there and fill it. And it's too big. Doesn't make sense operationally or quality-wise to do shows for 1/4 filled houses.

I guess it's not truly a "show", but the Atlantis attraction on Lost Continent is my all-time favorite there. Love all the effects, and the finale is spectacular. Also, the Wild West Stunt show was fantastic. They should just bring that back.

TalkingHead

As to the Tangled toilets, they are nice enough on their own. BUT just dropped into MK they clash terribly with both Liberty Square as well as the tournament tent style of surrounding Fantasyland. They are a mess where they are and stick out like a toon tower would in my 'hood.

Love those relatively new Pirate potties though.

Spirit, my man, you just sold my on an AP.

Tangled toilets and new Pirate potties?!

Forget Transformers and Springfield, I know where I'll be this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom