Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixiedustmaker

People also travelled for PI, the Adventurers Club, EPCOT, etc but they have proven nothing is sacred, I don't think Christmas lights are untouchable. We're talking about a company that uses profit per square foot as a metric. SoA is going to come up short any way you dice it.

Ha, ha. Well, a lot more people pack in to see the Osbourne lights than the Adventurers Club. And they are more profitable since going LED. Even if they took out SoA, doubtless they'd be made to move them elsewhere by fans. Based on the huge crowds, I feel confident saying that the Osbourne lights are safe. Can you imagine the headlines? Disney kills 'Osbourne' Christmas Light Spectacular? No way, especially not with the 2011 upgrades they made.

Doubt that SoA is going anywhere for at least seven years given the investment Disney made and the popularity of the lights at this location.

Pixiedustmaker

Even if they are inaccurate (and they are estimates, so okay, that's reasonable to believe), I'm pretty skeptical that they are off by like 25-35% and that DHS is only drawing 7M a year. That basically means that the most respected numbers in the industry are basically made up out of thin air.

That people are not spending that long in the park (and thus not spending as much on food and merch) is certainly believable and would be concerning to TDO. Of course, I'm not sure how getting rid of half the park to add a few rides solves this. It would require adding to existing capacity, not replacing.

When operating at capacity, Backlot sucks in a lot of guests, considering the long queue and everybody on the tram. Sure, Backlot ain't the greatest attraction these days, but it is also interwoven with backstage areas . . . I'm sure WDI could come up with something to drastically alter, or upgrade, this attraction. What if it was a tram ride through a Muppets version of Hollywood complete with showbuildings/animatronics . . . could be pretty cool. Or perhaps it could be LPS vehicles on an adventure through 1930's Hollywood, or maybe an LPS E-Ticket into the world of animation. I see showbuildings, a path for vehicles, and lots of ideas. Carsland spent a lot on rockwork, what if most of that money went towards show scenes and animatronics?

I'd be surprised if Disney scrapped the tram concept, or scrapped it and the queue/path . . .

Mister Boo

Speaking of Backlot--I was there last month and they (mercifully) totally skipped past the whole Pearl Harbor water tank thing and took us right to the tram. Is that the new MO?

Pixiedustmaker

The real problem with the Osborne Lights is that they are tacky. Sooner they're gone the better.

I think the new show looks better, with synchronization and better effects, but yeah, I think they would look better in a residential type setting. You know that if the take Osbourne lights out of SoA fans will want them put on Main Street.

Doubt they are going anywhere with all of the money invested to upgrade them.

Pixiedustmaker

This is what concerns me about an expansion-by-destruction that targets Muppets and Indy.

The last Muppet movie was pretty good (I was pleasantly surprised!), and there is a sequel in the works. Kinda silly that the anonymous sources say no more Muppets . . . Miceage said no more Nemo Subs, then they announced Nemo 2. I'd take these rumors with a big grain of salt. I like the Muppets, though I'd like a new show.

doctornick

This is what concerns me about an expansion-by-destruction that targets Muppets and Indy.

Of all the rumored losses in this expansion, the only things that I would be sad to see go are Muppets and Sci Fi. I like the Indy stunt show, but I think it's long in the tooth and is fine to replace (especially if they are re-theming the park to forget about the "working studio" aspect). I do hope that IJ is added somewhere else in WDW -- elsewhere in DHS or in Adventureland or even in DAK if needed (it would be a stretch thematically, but similar in E:E in a way). I don't think they'd get rid of Dr. Jones permanently from WDW.

When I think about it, I'm not that bothered by what is potentially being lost at all. I'm far more concerned about what is gained and it seems pretty light on much needed rides/attractions. If this grandiose plan were to add 8+ attractions (and was heavy on rides) -- which is what DHS really needs -- then let the bulldozers in.

doctornick

Regarding the Muppets... @articos seemed to indicate that the Muppetvision space is indeed on the potential chopping block but that TDO would keep them around. Does that mean that they would be moving the same show to a different location (let's say American Idol, for example)? Or a new attraction in a different location? Any ideas?

Rodan75

Wow...this has turned into an interesting rumor weekend. :). I don't understand the arguing on the TEA numbers, obviously they don't tell whole story, but they are the record as published and there shouldn't be a concern about using them as fact.

If DHS has 10m visitors spending 4 hours in their park at $25 per visitor on food and merch vs 8m at IoA sending 6 hours in their park at $50 per visitor spend, that is a problem. And it is a problem SW and Cars can fix.

But it still means that DHS had more visitors.

Lee

Adventurer
There is a differentiation between quantity and quality of turnstile clicks.

At WDW, where so many tickets are multi-day and discounted, there is a lot less quality clicks than at IoA. DHS has become a second tier park at the resort, and one that suffers from the loss of days to Uni. That is what Disney wants to change.

Computer Magic

True...I almost said rarely because I couldn't think of one instance, but yes, you are right. And frankly, I think it's better there. Fits with the theme, and I'm glad they didn't kill the show, as it's amazing!
Totally agree. Finally a good move. I wish they would have treated Tarzan with the same respect.

Computer Magic

I agree, but I wouldn't be that upset if they re-themed it to a Cars theme. I'm sure kids would love being able to eat sitting inside McQueen, Mater etc. with Cars movies playing on the big screen.
This would really make me angry. I don't need for Disney to kids up WDW more than they already have the last 10 years. Everything doesn't have to be for kids.

Pixiedustmaker

At WDW, where so many tickets are multi-day and discounted, there is a lot less quality clicks than at IoA. DHS has become a second tier park at the resort, and one that suffers from the loss of days to Uni. That is what Disney wants to change.

If only Disney came up with a way to help guests, I don't know, spend more? Like maybe a magic wand that is electronically tied into your credit card so you more easily buy more stuff?

You have no proof that DHS has become a second tier park at WDW based on public foot traffic, sorry, this is just a personal appraisal.

Sure, some folks come to see Uni/Potterland, but it also draws more tourists into Orlando. Iger/TEA figures confirm that WDW has a record number of guests, does Disney want even more guests? You'd think but they raised prices because they know they can even it prices some out of the market.

Pixiedustmaker

Sure is! And guests are spending more per capita:

Disney recorded gains across its holdings. Disney World and Disneyland both set quarterly attendance records, with combined attendance up 8 percent from a year earlier. Visitor spending was up 10 percent on higher ticket prices as well as more food and souvenir sales.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...orld-disney-california-adventure-disney-parks

ParentsOf4

I guess if you want to whip up fan angst for new offering at DHS you'll claim the numbers aren't true. WDW's broke an attendance record, silly to assume that DHS numbers aren't on the up like TEA reported. Or maybe DHS is down and the rest of the resort is up even more? Kinda far fetched.
IMHO, DHS's main problem is not how many walk through the gate. It's how long they stay there after they enter.

Pixiedustmaker

IMHO, DHS's main problem is not how many walk through the gate. It's how long they stay there after they enter.

DHS has in the past had attendance issues, they added Fantasmic and new attractions. It is true that it still isn't a full day park, and it makes sense to expand the offerings, but taking stuff off the menu to add new stuff would still sustain long lines as some guests are happy going on Backlot or seeing LMA. I think if they expanded into the parking lot, or across World Drive, they'd get the most bang for the buck.

Figments Friend

-

Not sure about Joe Tourist and the Average Guest, but when i visit DHS i am only there for a few hours. By 3pm i usually split and take the launch to EPCOT.

Sure i go through the turnstiles and i am 'counted'...but i do not spend any money with the exception being for a ice cream.
I do not spend on Merch because just about everything in the shops currently is stuff that can be bought elsewhere on Property or worse, back home at your local high-end mall.

Where do i spend my money?
MK, EC, and DAK.
I spend a lot at EC in particular ( Park specific Merch, pins, and meals)
MK i spend for Dole Whips ( multiples..yum..) and Park specific Merch
DAK is usually meals at Tusker and Y+Y, plus unique 'ethnic' Merch one can only find there.

There is a trend...and one way to get people spending is for DHS to start offering some exclusive or unique Park-specific Merch.
Okay, i will admit they DO still have some neat items over in the little hut by the Indy Stunt Show....but the rest of the shops ...meh...

Surely i am not the only Guest doing this....visiting DHS for a few hours, then bailing for another destination.
I would say that this behavior must have some effect on the bottom line numbers for DHS.

Also, EC and MK offer more exciting evening offerings in my opinion.
'Fantasmic' has run it's course...and needs to be freshened up soon. There were rumors of this happening a year or so ago, but nothing to date.
If DHS had a new, stellar night time spectacular this would help keep people at that Park throughout the day.

Now with no parades even, people today must be leaving in droves come 3PM.

John

Ok.... I sat and read thru the last ten pages or so and come to the conclusion that as much as things change....they always stay the same. The same folks are on the same side as the fence as they always have been around here. What I have learned from all this rumor mongering is......well nothing. Disney hasn't announced a d*#M thing. Yes some of these rumors have come from some often times reliable sources..... I have much respect for 74&co. I am not going to let myself think that they are going to spend this kind of money on DHS and AK AFTER just spending what amounts to a total national budget of Madagascar on MM+.I think its all just wishful thinking. Could I be wrong?.......well of course. So to set this straight....Disney is all of the sudden going to change what they have been doing for the past 15 years at WDW while supposedly making record profits ( which I will address in a second)....OK.

Iger has said there were record profits at DLR and WDW. He never gave us a break down....did he? We know DLR has had a nice increase. He may not be lying just fudgeing a little. UNI isn't going for the Orlando heavyweight title in Otown.... As others suggested it isn't in the attendance numbers at all. They have no shot at winning that battle.....its all about a bigger slice of the pie. Pie being total dollars no matter where or how they get there.
There are very few of us here that hasn't reported spending much less on our recent visits to WDW. Even the most ardent supporters can not deny in the quality/diversity of merch at WDW.... same goes with the dining. YES...there are some who say my dining experiences have been just fine.....that's not what I am asking....has there been a decline? Most of us will agree there has been. Has this been reflected in attendance? Apparently not. Has it affected guest spending?....and isn't that really the most important number. If WDW was making money hand over fist as some suggested....why do anything....hasn't that been the model all these past years? Why now? Why all of the sudden they are going to build like they have to....ummmmm catch up? Catch up to what? Attendance? got that covered. Attendance numbers mean very little in this Theme park war. If it did There would be no war. Make no mistake Uni doesn't want to win the war.....just one battle at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom