Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheneix

- Unused capacity
- Flat attendance

Epcot still holds it own, largely because it's on the Monorail. But when MK's attendance is 17.5M and Epcot's is 11M, that's the type of a disparity that TWDC fixed at DCA and Comcast is trying to fix at USF.

Think of it differently. If we believe TEA's numbers are approximately correct, why would DAK and DHS need to be fixed at about 10M while Epcot wouldn't need to be fixed at 11M? Tokyo DisneySea and DCA show that it's possible.

Because TEA's numbers are not correct. ;)

BTW, Epcot routinely turns in some of the largest cash receipts on property. Booze, booze, and more booze. As long as Epcot is selling booze, Epcot does not have a "problem."

doctornick

He also made mention of a Mos Eisley Cantina also coming to the current Echo Lake area. He didn't seem to think the Mupets area was in jeopardy, but the is Osborne lights will likely have their final run this year. It is also expected that Star Wars would open before Cars Land.

I'm skeptical of the Muppets area being in jeopardy. I can see the SOA being torn down -- it's relatively unused and could easily be added (along with LMA and Backlot Tour) for a large Pixar expansion. It would also be cheap to demolish and reuse since there's not really much there, except the Premiere Theater (probably be kept) and Mama Melrose (probably be rethemed to another restaurant).

But the Muppets actually has an attraction and surrounding theming to go with it. There's plenty of other space to build on (and I don't see a need to put Star Wars and Cars Land/Pixar right next to each other). Unless they are investing $1.5B in DHS, I don't see them putting in enough new stuff to require all of SOA/Echo Lake (including Commisary Lane, Muppets, etc.)

Furiated

Question for 74, articos, Lee, Martin, etc... IF they move forward with a Star Wars Land, would they build in anything to accommodate Star Wars Weekends? Like a better spot for the merch tent, or a stage with better sight lines for Hyperspace Hoopla?

Turtle

So, based on everything so far (although subject to change)...

BEING KEPT:
The Great Movie Ride
The Hollywood Brown Derby
The American Idol Experience
Star Tours: The Adventure Continues...
Hollywood & Vine
Disney Junior Play 'N Dine at Hollywood & Vine
Tune-In Lounge
50s Prime Time Café
Min and Bill's Dockside Diner
ABC Commissary
Toy Story Midway Mania!
Hey Howdy Hey Take Away
The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
The Magic of Disney Animation
Disney Junior - Live on Stage!
Beauty & The Beast-Live on Stage
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Fantasmic!
Starring Rolls Café
Toluca Legs Turkey Co.
Anaheim Produce
Rosie's All-American Café
Catalina Eddie's
Fairfax Fare
Hollywood Scoops

BEING REMOVED:
Sorcerer's Hat
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
Backlot Express
Oasis Canteen
MuppetVision 3D
Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
Studio Backlot Tour
Pizza Planet Arcade
Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano
Studio Catering Co.
High Octane Refreshments
Backlot Canteen
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant
The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights
Streets of America

NEW:
Cars Dark Ride
Star Wars E-Ticket
Muppet Attraction
Backlot Express Replacement
Pizza Planet Arcade Replacement
Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano Replacement
Studio Catering Co. Replacement
Backlot Canteen Replacement
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant Replacement

Anything in the wrong place/missed out?

...are VotLM and B&TB-LoS still going as well?
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.

And has it been confirmed that RSR is being replaced with a Cars dark ride?

Funmeister

Cutting back at his level though means across all Parks & Resorts. People don't want to hear it, but building a cruise ship means that WDW doesn't get a new attraction. Once you add everything up - Shanghai, two new boats, CarsLand, NFL... even cutting back from that number is still a really high number and WDW is overdue for its piece of the pie.

Thanks for clarifying.

Funmeister

But they have. Look at capital spend through half of this year vs last year. The next 6 months will be virtually the same. By the time these projects get into full swing work in China will be winding down. This is TWDC we are talking about. These capital projects will be spread out between 2014 or 2015 and 2018. Even if announced this summer if history repeats itself they may not break ground much before the end of 2014.

Add two more cruise ships (more of a reality than most realize), possible 3rd gate/expansion (rumor) at DLR, re-build of DD to Disney Springs (announced after Iger made the statement) and the spending is right back up where it is now. IF/WHEN those things happen then spending has not regressed. Good point though thanks for the reply.

Funmeister

Why does a park that draws in 11M people annually need to be "fixed"?

I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be making substantial additions to the park (they should) and need to keep it fresh and interesting to retain customers, but your premise seems to be that something is wrong with Epcot and that requires some massive overhaul to repair.

Because a park of that size should draw more than 11M. Based on history seeing what Epcot used to offer compared to now there is a feeling that it is broken. There are problems that do need to be fixed...stagnate pavilions in Future World and lack of new offerings park wide. It has turned into a high priced cafeteria with a few things to do while waiting for your priority seating. It is much more dining and merchandise driven then attraction, exhibit and show based when it first opened. "Turning" Flower and Garden into another food fest is a prime example.

When someone pays close to $100 to go to Epcot for the day they should get more than an attraction with defunct Bill Nye and Ellen (no offense Ellen) and do it yourself kids masks.

I understand what you are saying though...11M is a lot but Epcot should be getting more than that.

lazyboy97o

Why does a park that draws in 11M people annually need to be "fixed"?

I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be making substantial additions to the park (they should) and need to keep it fresh and interesting to retain customers, but your premise seems to be that something is wrong with Epcot and that requires some massive overhaul to repair.
Because of the pricing structure. Adding days to a ticket make each individual day's admission. If you're going for a week it's cheaper to stay put than go someplace else because you start over in the pricing structure. That is why people taking a day for Universal is huge, because they're willing to incur that high cost of a. New ticket set resistance adding discounted days. Attendance also says nothing about satisfaction and spending.

djlaosc

He also made mention of a Mos Eisley Cantina also coming to the current Echo Lake area. He didn't seem to think the Mupets area was in jeopardy, but the is Osborne lights will likely have their final run this year. It is also expected that Star Wars would open before Cars Land.

It's a shame about the Osborne lights. I had suggested back in April that this be moved to a new area behind RNRC. They could put up facades for use during 2.5 mints of the year. I'm also going to pull an @jt04 and take full responsibility for Disney deciding to build both Star Wars as Cars Land.

Well, that's not good - we're already booked up for November/December 2014 and they were one of the main things that we were going for...

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, you go to bed and get up and have a lazy Saturday going and you find that the fanboi UNIverse has 'sploded like a watermelon dropped off the roof of the Contemporary.

With apologies to @pheneix for his great summation thread, I don't even know where to begin or whether it is a battle worth fighting. The leak served its purpose ... I'm sure the folks at D23 and Disney Publicity/Social Media are all thrilled.

BTW, got an anonymous note (well, from someone I don't know) overnight saying the new Star Wars attraction will be a reskinned version of the Tron lightcycle coaster that is replacing Space Mountain on Shanghai's opening day menu. I don't usually run with rumors from strangers, but I do think this one may have merit.

Now ... do I really want to start battling about this being a total reaction to UNI/IOA and a park in attendance free fall? Or do I just let folks believe what they will? I am awfully hungry and there are a couple of films I'd like to catch this weekend.

Turtle

So, you go to bed and get up and have a lazy Saturday going and you find that the fanboi UNIverse has 'sploded like a watermelon dropped off the roof of the Contemporary.

With apologies to @pheneix for his great summation thread, I don't even know where to begin or whether it is a battle worth fighting. The leak served its purpose ... I'm sure the folks at D23 and Disney Publicity/Social Media are all thrilled.

BTW, got an anonymous note (well, from someone I don't know) overnight saying the new Star Wars attraction will be a reskinned version of the Tron lightcycle coaster that is replacing Space Mountain on Shanghai's opening day menu. I don't usually run with rumors from strangers, but I do think this one may have merit.

Now ... do I really want to start battling about this being a total reaction to UNI/IOA and a park in attendance free fall? Or do I just let folks believe what they will? I am awfully hungry and there are a couple of films I'd like to catch this weekend.
so... it's happening?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks.

This expansion would be directly contrary to that I guess. Are they admitting that it isn't working?

The death spiral has begun. The market share has shifted and will never ever be regained.

Market share is a funny thing. People just look at MK attendance and all of Disney's resorts and say 'UNI can do all it wants and it will never compete at that level ... blah, blah and ... yeah, blah' ... and that misses the point entirely.

UNI doesn't ever need to have a park that pulls in MK-crowds to significantly change the visitorship patterns to both its resort and Disney's. Talk to anyone in the business (not fanbois on message boards) and they'll tell you that since WWoHP that UNI has taken a day from many of the typical vacationers. There's very little doubt that will be two days taken away from Disney come next year ... it's already moving in that direction.

That harms Disney on so many levels (record profits or not because those are not self-sustaining).

Attendance is another issue that always comes up and folks point to the TEA numbers as 'the bible' ... the problem is that like many Bibles, it is a work crafted by men and its numbers are suspect at best, outright lies at worst.

If you look at the numbers for TPFKaTD-MGMS (and soon to be known as something else again), you might realize that for the 2012 numbers to be accurate that the park would have had to be at or close to capacity roughly every day of the year. Think about that and then decide whether you want to put much stock in the numbers that have that gate at almost 10 million visitors. And let's not forget how Disney counts guests. Someone visiting on a Saturday EMH morning for literally three hours and then spending the rest of the day at the Pop Century pool and the MK gets counted as a guest of the Studios the same as someone who spent the entire day there.

jt04

Funny thing is I almost commented that the pheneix thread read like a poor imitation of your techniques. I actually thought you would be offended by the poor imitation of a certain spirit. But I was wrong. It happens..... rarely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom