Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magenta Panther

You know that DISNEY actually MADE a Muppets film too, right?

I think I've explained the difference between artistry and acquisition plenty of times here. If Walt had just bought known and fully developed properties, there never would have been a Jiminy Cricket or a Dopey or a Tramp. Creating the Disney version is where Disney magic comes from. Period.

Magenta Panther

Universal has announced a play area themed to Super Silly Fun Land from the film Despicable Me will go adjacent to Minion Mayhem, which is expected to open sometime next year at Universal Studios Hollywood. The new "land" will include a water area, a dry area and a ride that will "soar and spin guests aboard a fleet of imaginative ride vehicles for a view of Super Silly Fun Land." It will be interesting to see USH's attendance after this.

Super Silly Fun Land:

SuperSillyFunLandsnip.png

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/06/11/4938019/universal-studios-hollywood-announces.html

That already beats the heck out of Dumbo's Circus, unfortunately.

CDavid

If all of this plus Avatar get built maybe Osborne Lights would move to EPCOT. It is wildly popular around Christmas time and was used to draw guests to an otherwise less popular park. The lights couldn't be setup in their current form, but maybe somewhere in WS or even better use the abandoned Wonders of Life pavilion. It wouldn't be hard to build some fake building fronts inside the pavilion to string the lights up on.

Just thinking out loud, but you could set up fake building fronts about anywhere, and charge admission even. Point is, the Osbourne lights don't need to join the Lights of Winter.

The lights, Sci-Fi Dine-in, and Muppets are about the only things I've heard I'm not excited about.

Figments Friend

The Great Movie Ride and One Man's Dream has a future in DHS. The only thing The Great Movie Ride needs is an update.

One Man's Dream is an overlooked attraction, but the nature of the attraction needs to stay. The attraction has upcoming stuffing in Disney theme parks world world besides having stuff related to Walt Disney. The only thing One Man's dream needs is an update once in a while, so the theme park part on models, etc. are of current projects under construction.

I hope these do stay in the game plan for any expansion/refreshing plans.
I cannot see TGMR being gutted, but agree that it definately needs some updating with some of the interior 'great movie moment' scenes.
The question is...will WDI be able to have the budget to do the new scenes properly, as in, fully detailed with multiple AAs in action?
It would be jarring visually to be able to tell the difference between the 'newer, but cheaper' scenes mixed in with the many original 'lavishly detailed' scenes.
Many of the AAs could use new cosmetic pieces as well, mostly facial, which in itself will be a major investment.

It will happen eventually.
Will it be done 'right' ?

That is a question that only time will be able to answer.

Agree regarding OMD.
For me, that addition to DHS provided a 'soul' for that Park.
I am glad that Disney has decided to keep it open over many years, as originally it was planned as just a temp attraction for the 2001/2002 '100 Years of Magic' promotion.
There is some stunning artwork and models, as well as some excellent new additions that were added for us EPCOT geeks a few years back.
Well worth visiting and spending a hour or more in there exploring.

Besides TGMR, i would say both it and OMG are my two 'must dos' every time i am over there...as well as Star Tours.

Funmeister

I've bashed TWDC's business strategy in Orlando plenty of times but if they move forward full steam on both DAK and DHS fronts then, by 2018, the upcoming Universal expansions will be old hat.

Uni should enjoy a good 3-to-5 year run but until they have their own version of the Magic Kingdom, something that can compete with that 'magic', Uni is never going to be a serious threat to WDW's dominance in Orlando.

If (big if) WDW can pull off a mini miracle and actually make the expansions at DAK and DHS as fully immersive as Cars Land then, by 2019, Uni could be sucking wind once more.

I understand your point of view but the theme park "wars" are not determined by physical park expansions or attractions. Universal WILL have more a dominant role in Central Florida based on room night stays. The "wars" are determined on room night stays and per cap revenue. has nothing to do with who has the biggest, newest, fastest ride. Sure, those help build attraction to want to stay at their property but no direct impact on financials.

As you say Uni should enjoy a good 3-5 year run...until their next expansion.

I am not saying Universal is going to put Disney out of business but they are taking money out of Disney's pockets. Why else would they be building a new resort with plans to build more? Having guests stay on your property is the winning strategy and Universal is doing something about it.

Funmeister

True...I almost said rarely because I couldn't think of one instance, but yes, you are right. And frankly, I think it's better there. Fits with the theme, and I'm glad they didn't kill the show, as it's amazing!

Another rarity was Magic Journeys which premiered at EPCOT and was later moved to Fantasyland at the MK. Other than that I think that is it.

CDavid

Another rarity was Magic Journeys which premiered at EPCOT and was later moved to Fantasyland at the MK. Other than that I think that is it.

Well, technically, both Carousels at the Magic Kingdom have been moved - to Walt Disney World.

You can also add Dumbo and Beauty & the Beast (theater) to the list of attractions which have been relocated but not permanently closed.

ParentsOf4

I understand your point of view but the theme park "wars" are not determined by physical park expansions or attractions. Universal WILL have more a dominant role in Central Florida based on room night stays. The "wars" are determined on room night stays and per cap revenue. has nothing to do with who has the biggest, newest, fastest ride. Sure, those help build attraction to want to stay at their property but no direct impact on financials.

As you say Uni should enjoy a good 3-5 year run...until their next expansion.

I am not saying Universal is going to put Disney out of business but they are taking money out of Disney's pockets. Why else would they be building a new resort with plans to build more? Having guests stay on your property is the winning strategy and Universal is doing something about it.
Universal's taking money out of WDW's pocket today. In the "WDW/Uni Wars", Uni's been winning a lot of battles lately. Even though I personally cheer for Uni and support them with my vacation dollars, I don't let my personal feelings interfere with my professional assessment that Disney is still winning the war. With approximately 24,000 acres, 30,000 onsite resort rooms, 4 major theme parks, 2 water parks, an expansive and growing shopping district, WDW's got a lot of weapons in its arsenal.

IMHO, the casual vacationing public is going to climb over each other at the chance to experience Star Wars Land and Pixar Land at DHS. I know people bash the Avatar IP but, if executed properly, IMHO any IP will be successful, including Avatar.

This line of discussion began with:
The reason I said this won't compete with Universal is because Disney drinking the same "multi-year build out" Kool-Aid for this project as they have been for Avatar. It will be great to see DHS and DAK both pulling their own weight by 2018, but by then New Fantasyland will be old hat and Epcot is going to be a dinosaur (a new ride film for Soarin? BOOK THE TRIP NOW!. Seesh) so by then Disney is just going to be re-acquainting its guests with the two parks they have been skipping for the past several years while they go to Universal. They will not be spending as much time at MK or Epcot in a captive one week "Disney-only" vacation. Those days are over and they are never coming back.
To suggest that WDW "won't compete with Universal" is simply wrong and, IMHO, to suggest that Orlando vacationers won't spend "as much time at MK" as they always have in the past, even with WWOHP in full bloom, smacks of drinking the Uni Kool-Aid we so often accuse the pixiedusters of drinking. There's no avoiding it; MK dominates the Orlando theme park scene and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. WDW's problem is not MK; it's the other 3 theme parks and it appears TWDC is starting finally to do something about them. In the mean time, Uni will continue to have a good run until WDW actually fixes these.

Automotive Detroit fell apart because it got complacent; it didn't take the overseas competition seriously. Uni's gains so far are largely because TWDC fell asleep at the wheel. (Remember, WDW had the inside track on Harry Potter and blew it.) If WDW wakes up and stops being complacent, then Uni will never be more than a thorn in WDW's side. If Disney wakes up, WDW will continue to dominate the Orlando vacation scene for the foreseeable future.

A major overhaul of DHS, Avatar at DAK, NFL & a new parade at MK, and a revitalized DTD suggests TWDC is waking up. Quoting Isoroku Yamamoto's most famous mythical statement, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Now, what's up at Epcot besides a new movie for Soarin'?;)

Funmeister

Universal's taking money out of WDW's pocket today. In the "WDW/Uni Wars", Uni's been winning a lot of battles lately. Even though I personally cheer for Uni and support them with my vacation dollars, I don't let my personal feelings interfere with my professional assessment that Disney is still winning the war. With approximately 24,000 acres, 30,000 onsite resort rooms, 4 major theme parks, 2 water parks, an expansive and growing shopping district, WDW's got a lot of weapons in its arsenal.

IMHO, the casual vacationing public is going to climb over each other at the chance to experience Star Wars Land and Pixar Land at DHS. I know people bash the Avatar IP but, if executed properly, IMHO any IP will be successful, including Avatar.

This line of discussion began with:

To suggest that WDW "won't compete with Universal" is simply wrong and, IMHO, to suggest that Orlando vacationers won't spend "as much time at MK" as they always have in the past, even with WWOHP in full bloom, smacks of drinking the Uni Kool-Aid we so often accuse the pixiedusters of drinking. There's no avoiding it; MK dominates the Orlando theme park scene and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. WDW's problem is not MK; it's the other 3 theme parks and it appears TWDC is starting finally to do something about them. In the mean time, Uni will continue to have a good run until WDW actually fixes these.

Automotive Detroit fell apart because it got complacent; it didn't take the overseas competition seriously. Uni's gains so far are largely because TWDC fell asleep at the wheel. (Remember, WDW had the inside track on Harry Potter and blew it.) If WDW wakes up and stops being complacent, then Uni will never be more than a thorn in WDW's side. If Disney wakes up, WDW will continue to dominate the Orlando vacation scene for the foreseeable future.

A major overhaul of DHS, Avatar at DAK, NFL & a new parade at MK, and a revitalized DTD suggests TWDC is waking up. Quoting Isoroku Yamamoto's most famous mythical statement, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Now, what's up at Epcot besides a new movie for Soarin'?;)

Didn't Iger announce not long ago that the company would be cutting back on capital expense? To me it sounds like they are ramping up!

You are correct in that Disney has more land but it is highly underutilized and mis-managed land. Look at the "POW" and "UMPH" DLR and UNI have both been able to deliver without 20,000+ acres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom