Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Pearl

Such a shock (considering the email Disney sent me to buy a tee of him!) ...this is the kind of stuff that shuts the fanbois/lifestylers/addicts up so they don't question anything like ...NGE or the sad state WDW is in.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

hatboxghost 1.jpg

hand.jpg

;););)

nytimez

I understand wanting to be cautious with information that is this dramatic and heavy. But, has Spirit given us a reason not to believe what he says? Not so far. That is good enough for me.

P.S. - Glad to be joining the conversation after having been a lurker on this board for several years.

Welcome - and agreed!

The Duck

Hearing this really makes me want to hide "my" Magic Band in a ride vehicle to throw off their stats. Now that I think about it...

What happens if they track it at the bottom of Rivers of America? Do they call an alpha unit? What happens if they track it in a backstage area? Do they call security?

How does the company plan to handle "false alarms" if it is used for individual tracking?
I never thought of that! (And Disney probably didn't either). This alone has so much potential for NGE to be a hornets nest!

The Duck

Yep.
That is a Hatbox Ghost, but not the Hatbox Ghost.
I believe the original is long lost, though they still have the original mold. (But, oddly, didn't use it there...)

Gotta admit...I kinda like the shirt...
Could this be the look they're going for in the new HM movie?

Mouse3268

In some actual news from D23, look who Micechat found at the Imagineering pavilion.
tumblr_mr8uxtApZn1surweuo1_1280.jpg

Could this be a sign that we may be getting some information on Guillermo del Toro's Haunted Mansion movie reboot? He's stated that the Hatbox Ghost character is going to be central to story. He's also said he's been on the Disneyland version almost 900 times and he has a room full of Haunted Mansion memorabilia in his home. So I feel pretty good with a new film under his direction.

OldBill71

Well it'll also have Star Tours in it....

You mean, Star Tours, 2.0! That is rarely more than 15 minute actual wait? I just hope that TDO realizes what a potential goldmine they have in the Star Wars IP. You can't undo, first impressions, and this new Star Wars Land is the "first impression" TDO gets to make after TWDC acquired the rights to the Star Wars IP. I am just hoping they do it right.

SirLink

You mean, Star Tours, 2.0! That is rarely more than 15 minute actual wait? I just hope that TDO realizes what a potential goldmine they have in the Star Wars IP. You can't undo, first impressions, and this new Star Wars Land is the "first impression" TDO gets to make after TWDC acquired the rights to the Star Wars IP. I am just hoping they do it right.

Well it would of helped if they advertised it to begin with ...

Reactions: HMF

OldBill71

Well it would of helped if they advertised it to begin with ...

I think we can all agree that the way Star Tours 2.0 was handled was probably not ideal, but that wasn't really what I was trying to get at originally. I am just trying to make the point that TDO needs to not stumble and fall, once again when they debut the "first edition" of Star Wars Land. ST 2.0, a restaurant and a 3D Movie that also potentially eliminates Muppet Vision 3D and the Osbourne Lights wouldn't exactly be a homerun in the minds of many Disney fans. This has to be done the right way, not the way TDO has done things over the last decade.

SirLink

I think we can all agree that the way Star Tours 2.0 was handled was probably not ideal, but that wasn't really what I was trying to get at originally. I am just trying to make the point that TDO needs to not stumble and fall, once again when they debut the "first edition" of Star Wars Land. ST 2.0, a restaurant and a 3D Movie that also potentially eliminates Muppet Vision 3D and the Osbourne Lights wouldn't exactly be a homerun in the minds of many Disney fans. This has to be done the right way, not the way TDO has done things over the last decade.

Don't worry all this stuff has to go through Burbank after Space Mountain Incident. But then it is how convincing will JR and Iger be to go and get the required funding to "up the quality of themed environments" and I'm not to sure on the last bit.

SJFPKT

And I am also guessing that many people need to see utter rubble before they are willing to admit 'yeah, there might have been a few flames there.'

Without saying anything more just read about current events and ask yourself if this all happened overnight or has been a slow buildup for a dozen years.

But always a pleasure to see you, Oinks.

This can all really be done with the cell phone in your pocket. I am guessing the reason for getting the magic bands is to get those that don't have a cell phone and also this will be proprietary system that is probably more reliable than the cell phone in your pockets. They won't be relying on someone else's product.

Most people don't realize, but the a lot of the way DOT departments monitor traffic right now is by cell phones. This allows them to see back ups in certain locations. I would love to put a link on here to show you how Alabama DOT does it, but I don't think the average joe has access. Maybe I can get some screen shots.

I guess my point is, if you are completely against this type of technology, you either need to get rid of your cell phone and pretty much anything on you that gives out a signal or accept it.

EDIT: Of course I forgot to add, the magic band gives them the capability to put demographics with the little point on the map.

Last edited:

OldBill71

This can all really be done with the cell phone in your pocket. I am guessing the reason for getting the magic bands is to get those that don't have a cell phone and also this will be proprietary system that is probably more reliable than the cell phone in your pockets. They won't be relying on someone else's product.

Most people don't realize, but the a lot of the way DOT departments monitor traffic right now is by cell phones. This allows them to see back ups in certain locations. I would love to put a link on here to show you how Alabama DOT does it, but I don't think the average joe has access. Maybe I can get some screen shots.

I guess my point is, if you are completely against this type of technology, you either need to get rid of your cell phone and pretty much anything on you that gives out a signal or accept it.

The level of surveillance we are all under has certainly increased in our post-9/11 world.

I think the difference between your example and the NGE at Disney is the end game - one wants to help me avoid a traffic jam, and the other wants to sell me a Winnie the Pooh windbreaker.

I don't like being watched in either situation, but in your example, I am the person who benefits from the surveillance (by potentially avoiding a traffic jam) in the Disney example, it is the Mouse who benefits, by choosing to offer me a Winnie the Pooh windbreaker at 20% off because they knew I rode the Winnie the Pooh ride, yesterday at 2:14 PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom