Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Trying to book a Dec visit at a DVC villa on points with our DVC membership at DLR with no luck. Second choice is DLH, then PPH.
The inns are full.

Don't log in to a disney site use 'private browsing' so no cookies active to try and book same reservation, I think you will find availability, This is the other thing which has been bugging me recently DVC seems to be playing games with breakage ie handing off DVC inventory to CRO much earlier than they have in the past.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am truly bewildered. Get off a ride with very complex anamatronics and call it "plastic"? Then get on Peter Pan and think it's great with it's one or two moving parts? I simply do not understand it at all. What is everyone really comparing? It's a puzzle! Was someone expecting a real Mermaid?

No, We are talking about how the lighting is so bright the show elements don't have any pretense of realism if you go on a 'Dark Ride' you don't expect to be able to see every element of the ceiling grid and while the fish obviously have to be made of plastic or wood the lighting shows them exactly as they are instead of creating an environment which encourages suspension of reality.

It's as though they cut the budget and just decided to leave the worklights on instead of properly lighting the attraction. Have you ever seen PoTC with the worklights on ? I have and the effect is ruined the lighting finishes the attraction.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I want to take a step back and discuss something that I feel deserves being touched upon ( watch the jokes, only Spirit can crack those). Toy Story of Terror. I do not know how some felt about it but it blew my expectations away. Did Disney actually put something out that was teaching a lesson? Talking about overcoming fears? How to build courage? Where did that one come from? I certainly did not see it coming.

Goofyernmost

No, We are talking about how the lighting is so bright the show elements don't have any pretense of realism if you go on a 'Dark Ride' you don't expect to be able to see every element of the ceiling grid and while the fish obviously have to be made of plastic or wood the lighting shows them exactly as they are instead of creating an environment which encourages suspension of reality.

It's as though they cut the budget and just decided to leave the worklights on instead of properly lighting the attraction. Have you ever seen PoTC with the worklights on ? I have and the effect is ruined the lighting finishes the attraction.
I understand what you are saying and agree, however, there is nothing about the Peter Pan ride that doesn't look plastic, that doesn't stop the story or the fun. Everything in Disney is Plastic and it looks it.

stlphil

At the core - they are the same. The problem is in the case of Disney.. the fans are often more interested in the 'how' then the actual outcome (see every 'screens suck' thread). In industry, the motivation is to reinvent to do more with less, etc. In the case of Disney, the motivation is the same... 'Take this concept, and do it better..' Same exact thing... The problem is how does one define 'better'...

The compromises TDO allow or use in their refinements are associated with negative connotations in the fan community. Hence, when WDW1974 exposed TDO's use of the term 'value engineering' to describe their process of reworking a concept to be done cheaper.. and we all see the outcome as inferior to the original concept.. in the fan community 'value engineering' becomes synonymous with 'cheapening'. The principles are actually the same - It is the tolerance for what is 'equivalent' is actually what fans are critical of and where TDO's version of value engineering has become a negative term.

Negative by association...
A
I always wanted to see it, but never got a chance to...
That is really a shame. Of course there are rumors that it may reappear in some form as part of the JP expansion, so maybe there is hope.

JP was pretty fleshed out at park opening what with the water ride, flyers ride, triceratops encounter, the great playground, and "some" parts of the discovery center (the kids loved watching a dinosaur hatch, and it does closely resemble the movie).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Pick-up bars dim their lights too, for similar reasons.

It's why in the days of large format (Negative Size 4x5 and larger) portraiture photographers would use a 'soft focus' lens and would light creatively Rembrandt lighting was very popular, Hides the details and emphasizes the sitter's major features. Direct bright light YEECCHHHH!!!

lazyboy97o

I want to take a step back and discuss something that I feel deserves being touched upon ( watch the jokes, only Spirit can crack those). Toy Story of Terror. I do not know how some felt about it but it blew my expectations away. Did Disney actually put something out that was teaching a lesson? Talking about overcoming fears? How to build courage? Where did that one come from? I certainly did not see it coming.
I was more surprised that they built on a character trait shown, but never really emphasized, in a film from 1999.

PhotoDave219

It's why in the days of large format (Negative Size 4x5 and larger) portraiture photographers would use a 'soft focus' lens and would light creatively Rembrandt lighting was very popular, Hides the details and emphasizes the sitter's major features. Direct bright light YEECCHHHH!!!

Yeah, I always hide things in shadows. Hate direct light.

culturenthrills

Yeah, it was really good. If they are gonna be that high quality, I have no problem with them making another TV special. Also, all of the shorts have been great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom