Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinYee

James Cameron's Pandora: The World of AVATAR inspired by James Cameron's AVATAR, AVATAR 2, AVATAR 3, and AVATAR 4 featuring the Creative Talents of James Cameron, Walt Disney Imagineering and James Cameron has a nice ring to it.

James Cameron's Pandora®: The World of AVATAR® inspired by James Cameron's AVATAR®, AVATAR 2®, AVATAR 3®, and AVATAR 4® featuring the Creative Talents of James Cameron®, Walt Disney Imagineering® and James Cameron® has a nice ring to it.

Fixed that for you.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Which is how I parlayed my fantastic and incredibly peppy posting record into a career as a daddy blogger!

I was wondering where you've been! I should have known you were off designing and making your very own custom lanyard and name tag with ID of company name, web address, favorite character, color, movie, song, ride, and foods (just in case any one wants to hand you something for free)....and matching business cards and tshirts to the first hundred lucky clicks on the website.

Animaniac93-98

Regarding Pandora, this was sent to me by one of my insider friends:

"Welcome to Pandora®! Today, your friend and host James Cameron, uses his vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than James Cameron. For, in a moment, you can experience his beautiful fantasy. Or, his exciting adventure! But beware -- nothing is more powerful than James Cameron. For he can also expand his greatest fears, into an overwhelming nightmare! Are the powers of James Cameron's incredible imagination strong enough, and bright enough, to withstand the evil forces that invade James Cameron's dreams? You are about to find out. For we now invite you to join James Cameron, and experience Pandora® -- a journey beyond your wildest, no-where-near-as-fantastic-as-James-Cameron's imagination."

Mr. Cameron feels it fails to mention his contributions and influence on the project.

Bairstow

"Welcome to Pandora®! Today, your friend and host James Cameron, uses his vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than James Cameron. For, in a moment, you can experience his beautiful fantasy. Or, his exciting adventure! But beware -- nothing is more powerful than James Cameron. For he can also expand his greatest fears, into an overwhelming nightmare! Are the powers of James Cameron's incredible imagination strong enough, and bright enough, to withstand the evil forces that invade James Cameron's dreams? You are about to find out. For we now invite you to join James Cameron, and experience Pandora® -- a journey beyond your wildest, no-where-near-as-fantastic-as-James-Cameron's imagination."

Mr. Cameron feels it fails to mention his contributions and influence on the project.

Captain Neo

I want to know more about what was cut from Avatar land. I noticed there are no rides based around the human vehicles like the mechs, Scorpion Gunships, helicoptors, or even those space shuttles that transport earthlings to Pandora. I figured there would at least be a simulator attraction that takes guests to and from like the original proposals for the Space Pavillion at Epcot.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a ride involving motorcycle type vehicles through a canyon that was going to be a big e-ticket for Pandora?

stlphil

James Cameron's Adventure into James Cameron's Pandora: The World ofAVATAR inspired by James Cameron's AVATAR, AVATAR 2, AVATAR 3, andAVATAR 4 featuring the Creative Talents of James Cameron, Walt Disney Imagineering and James Cameron?
Now that really does just roll off the tongue!

Bairstow

I want to know more about what was cut from Avatar land. I noticed there are no rides based around the human vehicles like the mechs, Scorpion Gunships, helicoptors, or even those space shuttles that transport earthlings to Pandora. I figured there would at least be a simulator attraction that takes guests to and from like the original proposals for the Space Pavillion at Epcot.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a ride involving motorcycle type vehicles through a canyon that was going to be a big e-ticket for Pandora?

Hard to know what was and wasn't "cut" when they don't even seem to be 100% sure what they're going to build yet.

If they're accurate, leaked plans from a few months ago seem to indicate that there will be a slow-moving boat ride of some sort and a movie/simulator attraction similar to Soaring over California but with multiple theater bays.
Evidence of both of these ride concepts can be seen in the recently released teaser video, leading credence to their existence.

There was some speculation at one point that a third attraction was being considered that would use a Vekoma bike coaster as its basis, but as far as I can tell this was pure speculation contained to message boards like this one. There have been similar rumors about Disney buying a Vekoma bike coaster for potential Star Wars or Tron-based attractions, but nothing has ever surfaced suggesting that this is so.

Wikkler

James Cameron will sleep with you, showing the majesty of James Cameron. James Cameron's imagination is the best imagination. James Cameron is the Messiah. James Cameron is our new lord. All hail James Cameron? Experience jake's Jungle Boats and sail through the world of AVATAR. Experience Banshee Blast and fly through the Floating Mountains. Experience the James Cameron Missionary, which teaches the incredible wisdom of our lord and savior.

The Empress Lilly

Alright, so I've deleted the possessives and added Disney. I've also added Parks, in line with recent nomenclature. A marketing hotshot demanded everything relating to the Disney Parks brand passes through his office for approval. He insisted we add Adventure to keep in line with the family adventure branding of Disney Parks.

The 'largest expansion in the history of WDW' will be titled:

Disney Parks James Cameron Pandora®: The World of AVATAR Adventure® a Disney Parks presentation of a James Cameron AVATAR®, AVATAR 2®, AVATAR 3®, and AVATAR 4® inspired Disney Parks Adventure by the Creative Talents of James Cameron®, Walt Disney Imagineering® and James Cameron®

danlb_2000

Premium Member

MiceChat posted some good enlargements of parts of the artwork and in a couple of them you can see wrecked and overgrown hardware from the movie. This would lead me to believe that this land is going to be set sometime after the events of the first movie so none of the technology will be there anymore.

Figments Friend

Disney has always used outside companies for its theme parks. Here is a list that may surprise you.

At Disneyland, the original Dumbo, Tea Cups, Mr. Toad Wild Ride and a few others from opening day were done by Arrow, a california company that used to do carousels until that point. Later, Arrow came in to fix the guiding system for the Submarines. They came up with the ride system for Matterhorn Bobsleds after WED prototype utterly failed. Arrow tubular steel coaster track and nylons wheels became the basis for every other steel coasters built since. Arrow invented the ride systems for Pirates, Small World and manufactured the track for Haunted Mansion.

Over at WDW, Arrow designed and built most of the opening MK attractions. They were then let go when Disney decided to go "in house" for later attractions. An imagineer called Bill Watkins did the track design for WDW Space Mountain, DL Space Mountain and WDW Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Bill Watkins actually invented the concept of the "heartline" design based on flying to do the amazing and smooth curves on DL Space Mountain. WED built the track and cars inhouse.

Over at Tokyo Disneyland, they used mostly japanese companies to do the attractions there as per the agreement with Oriental Land.

Splash Mountain at Disneyland was overbudget and delayed when WDI asked a small water ride company called Hopkins for large capacity 10 persons boats. Those boats did not work and Hopkins installed smaller 6 persons inline boats. When it was time for TDL and WDW Splash Mountain, WDI and Central Shops at WDW designed and built them.

Intamin which is a large ride company from Switzerland with a huge portfolio provided all kinds of attractions for Disney. California Screamin', Indiana Jones and the Temple du Peril at DLP, DLP Pirates, DLP Small World, DLP Toy Story Playland 3 rides, Grizzly River Run, Kali River Rapids, Jumpin' Jellyfish at DCA are all from Intamin.

Vekoma is currently the largest supplier of rides for Disney. Both Rock n Roller Coaster, DLP Big Thunder Mountain, DLP Space Mountain, DLP Casey jr. powered coaster, Phantom Manor ride system, Expedition Everest, HKDL Grizzly Mountain Mine Cars, HKDL Space Mountain (based on Bill Watkins DL Space Mountain track layout) and a few others. In the case of Rock n Roller Coaster, WDI went the cheap route! They bought a production model from Vekoma with 5 custom trains. Here is what it look like without the building.

8s1060026p335jofoj8eg3.jpg

Zamperla is an italian manufacturer of kiddie rides, spinning rides and small roller coasters. When both WDW and DL Dumbo went from the original 10 elephants Dumbo ride from Arrow to the new 16 elephants DLP style Dumbo, Zamperla is the manufacturer. Zamperla also did DLP Orbitron, DL Astro Orbiter, DLP Tea Cups, all three Flying Carpets rides among others. One unique case is the DLP Carousel. Zamperla did the frame, ride platform and mechanism. WDI got some very old artists from Pennsylvania who used to do carved wooden carousel horses and they filled up the outside "row" (the ones furthest from the center) with those. Then, for the inside rows, had WDW central shops do fiberglass copies of the WDW Carousel horses.

The WDW and DL Carousels are much older than either park they are in. DL Carousel is a 1875 William Dentzel model where WED modified every horse to be a jumper and all the horses were later repainted white. To fill up the carousel, WED also procured more wooden horses from other Carousels being parted out. Jingles is the carousel "leading horse" and the one with jingles on its saddles and a later modification had the saddle painted out in honor of Julie Andrews.

WDW Carousel is the most priceless attraction in a Disney park! "Liberty" was originally built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1917 as its largest ever Carousel. It had an americana theme and was moved a bit, getting a lot of damage every time. When the Walt Disney purchased it in 1967, it was on its last legs and about to be parted out. Disney put a talented craftwoman named Isle Voigh. As she started receiving the damaged wooden horses, she was shocked to discover all the details and richness of each. So, her and her team restored every horse to pristine shape. To provide more horses, Liberty lost its two chariots and more antique horses were purchased and painted to look like the original horses. If you look closely, every horse is different and has its own color palette. To replace horses when they are taken off for rehab, eleven fiberglass copies were made. The outer horses are the most eleborate and like at Disneyland, there is a leading horse here too. I can't remember its name, but it the one on the outer row that is covered in armor and has a gryphon painted on the side of the armor.

"Cinderella's Horse" is a myth that was probably started by some helpful cast members who had the answer the guest question of "which one is Cinderella's horse?". They usually pointed to a plain horse on the second row that happened to have a golden ribbon on the tail. It eventually made its way to guide books and became a "fact". Isle Voight herself has said that there is no "Cinderella's Horse" on the carousel. The horse with a golden ribbon came like that and she went along with she had. She didn't modify any horse to be "Cinderella's horse".

HKDL electric Autopia was done by an outside vendor... A ride company from the US called Premier Rides (who also did Revenge of the Mummy at Universal)designed and built the Autopia cars.

AMARC, which is now called Dynamic Attractions built the Soarin' erector sets for the glider seats, the 2005 DL Space Mountain track, the most recent Monorail cars and are doing the new DL BTMR track.

Sansei-Yusoki built the track for DL, HKDL, TDL and DLP Buzz Lightyear omnimovers. Them or another japanese ride manufacturer did the ride system and ride cars for all three Toy Story Mania! and Monsters inc. Ride and Go Seek!

A now gone british company did the simulators for all the Star Tours and Body Wars.

Wow...awesome and informative post!
Nice to see the lineup and learn a few things.

:)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Disney Parks James Cameron Pandora®: The World of AVATAR Adventure® a Disney Parks presentation of a James Cameron AVATAR®, AVATAR 2®, AVATAR 3®, and AVATAR 4® inspired Disney Parks Adventure by the Creative Talents of James Cameron®, Walt Disney Imagineering® and James Cameron®

So, since everything is referred to in acronym form it would be:

DPJCP:TWOAADPPJCAAAADPACTJCWDIJC

Ignohippo

Besides cutting the Avatar budget, I have a feeling the cycle coaster was cut so that tech could be used for Star Wars.

If the rumors are true, a speeder bike coaster will be part of the SW expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom