Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soarin' Over Pgh

If it is at all possible remove yourself from all knowledge of the movie (I'll wait...).

OK. If you were to receive the breaking news that AK will be getting a new land bursting with opticals, a couple of killer rides, a night time show, giant bio-luminescents everywhere etc. etc. etc.

You can honestly say you wouldn't be excited?

I think most if not all of the AVAHATERS would have a different view.

Thank you!! You said it a lot better than I did.

lazyboy97o

If it is at all possible remove yourself from all knowledge of the movie (I'll wait...).

OK. If you were to receive the breaking news that AK will be getting a new land bursting with opticals, a couple of killer rides, a night time show, giant bio-luminescents everywhere etc. etc. etc.

Yes, I can honestly say I would not be excited. I am not an "AVAHATER." What I hate is purely fictional animals that say nothing about our history of connecting with this world being shoved into Disney's Animal Kingdom.

PeterAlt

Here's a vintage video from 1990 by ABC confronting Disney on its government powers, the then upcoming opening of Universal, the lack of EPCOT the city and even a brief mention of the Long Beach v. Anaheim competition for Disney's second park in California. All in less than 7 minutes!

Wow. Thanks for posting that!

If they only knew they would soon be consumed by that very company. Good thing they released it then at that time or their new owner would never allowed them to air that story!

flynnibus

Premium Member
never saw it...plus while others were saying avatars budget was low he went the other way

The nighttime entertainment has been a concept kicked around for DAK for years to address the very topic tim4 was talking about.. how to extend the length of the DAK visit. None of that was new - simply that Tim4 was pitching that it was all happening 'now'

Absimilliard

Disney has always used outside companies for its theme parks. Here is a list that may surprise you.

At Disneyland, the original Dumbo, Tea Cups, Mr. Toad Wild Ride and a few others from opening day were done by Arrow, a california company that used to do carousels until that point. Later, Arrow came in to fix the guiding system for the Submarines. They came up with the ride system for Matterhorn Bobsleds after WED prototype utterly failed. Arrow tubular steel coaster track and nylons wheels became the basis for every other steel coasters built since. Arrow invented the ride systems for Pirates, Small World and manufactured the track for Haunted Mansion.

Over at WDW, Arrow designed and built most of the opening MK attractions. They were then let go when Disney decided to go "in house" for later attractions. An imagineer called Bill Watkins did the track design for WDW Space Mountain, DL Space Mountain and WDW Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Bill Watkins actually invented the concept of the "heartline" design based on flying to do the amazing and smooth curves on DL Space Mountain. WED built the track and cars inhouse.

Over at Tokyo Disneyland, they used mostly japanese companies to do the attractions there as per the agreement with Oriental Land.

Splash Mountain at Disneyland was overbudget and delayed when WDI asked a small water ride company called Hopkins for large capacity 10 persons boats. Those boats did not work and Hopkins installed smaller 6 persons inline boats. When it was time for TDL and WDW Splash Mountain, WDI and Central Shops at WDW designed and built them.

Intamin which is a large ride company from Switzerland with a huge portfolio provided all kinds of attractions for Disney. California Screamin', Indiana Jones and the Temple du Peril at DLP, DLP Pirates, DLP Small World, DLP Toy Story Playland 3 rides, Grizzly River Run, Kali River Rapids, Jumpin' Jellyfish at DCA are all from Intamin.

Vekoma is currently the largest supplier of rides for Disney. Both Rock n Roller Coaster, DLP Big Thunder Mountain, DLP Space Mountain, DLP Casey jr. powered coaster, Phantom Manor ride system, Expedition Everest, HKDL Grizzly Mountain Mine Cars, HKDL Space Mountain (based on Bill Watkins DL Space Mountain track layout) and a few others. In the case of Rock n Roller Coaster, WDI went the cheap route! They bought a production model from Vekoma with 5 custom trains. Here is what it look like without the building.

8s1060026p335jofoj8eg3.jpg

Zamperla is an italian manufacturer of kiddie rides, spinning rides and small roller coasters. When both WDW and DL Dumbo went from the original 10 elephants Dumbo ride from Arrow to the new 16 elephants DLP style Dumbo, Zamperla is the manufacturer. Zamperla also did DLP Orbitron, DL Astro Orbiter, DLP Tea Cups, all three Flying Carpets rides among others. One unique case is the DLP Carousel. Zamperla did the frame, ride platform and mechanism. WDI got some very old artists from Pennsylvania who used to do carved wooden carousel horses and they filled up the outside "row" (the ones furthest from the center) with those. Then, for the inside rows, had WDW central shops do fiberglass copies of the WDW Carousel horses.

The WDW and DL Carousels are much older than either park they are in. DL Carousel is a 1875 William Dentzel model where WED modified every horse to be a jumper and all the horses were later repainted white. To fill up the carousel, WED also procured more wooden horses from other Carousels being parted out. Jingles is the carousel "leading horse" and the one with jingles on its saddles and a later modification had the saddle painted out in honor of Julie Andrews.

WDW Carousel is the most priceless attraction in a Disney park! "Liberty" was originally built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1917 as its largest ever Carousel. It had an americana theme and was moved a bit, getting a lot of damage every time. When the Walt Disney purchased it in 1967, it was on its last legs and about to be parted out. Disney put a talented craftwoman named Isle Voigh. As she started receiving the damaged wooden horses, she was shocked to discover all the details and richness of each. So, her and her team restored every horse to pristine shape. To provide more horses, Liberty lost its two chariots and more antique horses were purchased and painted to look like the original horses. If you look closely, every horse is different and has its own color palette. To replace horses when they are taken off for rehab, eleven fiberglass copies were made. The outer horses are the most eleborate and like at Disneyland, there is a leading horse here too. I can't remember its name, but it the one on the outer row that is covered in armor and has a gryphon painted on the side of the armor.

"Cinderella's Horse" is a myth that was probably started by some helpful cast members who had the answer the guest question of "which one is Cinderella's horse?". They usually pointed to a plain horse on the second row that happened to have a golden ribbon on the tail. It eventually made its way to guide books and became a "fact". Isle Voight herself has said that there is no "Cinderella's Horse" on the carousel. The horse with a golden ribbon came like that and she went along with she had. She didn't modify any horse to be "Cinderella's horse".

HKDL electric Autopia was done by an outside vendor... A ride company from the US called Premier Rides (who also did Revenge of the Mummy at Universal)designed and built the Autopia cars.

AMARC, which is now called Dynamic Attractions built the Soarin' erector sets for the glider seats, the 2005 DL Space Mountain track, the most recent Monorail cars and are doing the new DL BTMR track.

Sansei-Yusoki built the track for DL, HKDL, TDL and DLP Buzz Lightyear omnimovers. Them or another japanese ride manufacturer did the ride system and ride cars for all three Toy Story Mania! and Monsters inc. Ride and Go Seek!

A now gone british company did the simulators for all the Star Tours and Body Wars.

Bairstow

Vekoma is currently the largest supplier of rides for Disney. Both Rock n Roller Coaster, DLP Big Thunder Mountain, DLP Space Mountain, DLP Casey jr. powered coaster, Phantom Manor ride system, Expedition Everest, HKDL Grizzly Mountain Mine Cars, HKDL Space Mountain (based on Bill Watkins DL Space Mountain track layout) and a few others. In the case of Rock n Roller Coaster, WDI went the cheap route! They bought a production model from Vekoma with 5 custom trains. Here is what it look like without the building.

My understanding is that Rock n' Rollercoaster was at the time of its construction a custom layout that was later used for other coasters.

lazyboy97o

My understanding is that Rock n' Rollercoaster was at the time of its construction a custom layout that was later used for other coasters.
I have a very hard time believing that Disney would allow Vekoma to sell their track layout. If the layout was created for Rock 'N Rollercoaster I would then guess that it was designed by Vekoma.

Bairstow

I have a very hard time believing that Disney would allow Vekoma to sell their track layout. If the layout was created for Rock 'N Rollercoaster I would then guess that it was designed by Vekoma.

Sure, but the layout would have been designed by Vekoma for Disney's particular indoor application. Disney could probably have gotten a discount in negotiations if Vekoma retained the rights to resell the configuration.
That's not the same thing as Disney, say, buying an essentially unmodified Reverchon spinning coaster and dressing it up as Primeval Whirl.

Absimilliard

Lazyboy is correct. WDI has the tightest confidentiality and exclusivity clauses in the amusement park industry. Their suppliers aren't even allowed to mention themself they supplied a ride. It has to be a "designed by Walt Disney Imagineering". So, unless it was a production model that was shown to WDI at IAAPA Expo (the largest trade show for amusement parks... held in november every year in Orlando right now) or a proposal from Vekoma as a response to an open request from WDI, Vekoma could have never sold another one outside of Disney.

Six Flags is the one that bought that Vekoma model that was installed on that lake. It opened only 8 months after the original Rock n Roller Coaster at WDW. It was built at what is now "Walibi Holland".

Edit... Crush Coaster at Disney Studio Paris is an off the shelf "Spinning Coaster 2000" from Maurer-Sohne, creators of Rip Ride Rockit at Universal. The coaster portion is a production model and Maurer did a custom station, extra lift hill and gravity driven dark ride portion.

The Visionary Soul

Perhaps this will shed some light on the subject:

http://rcdb.com/769.htm

And this video:

It's almost identical to the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster's layout. In fact, this and the other two Rock 'n' Rollercoasters are the only Sit-down Steel LSM Launched Vekoma Coasters in existence.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Besides what is TDO going to build

1 - Another Concrete Tree to drop parts on unsuspecting guests
2 - Floating boulders (big concrete rocks on chains - these will be able to take out an entire tour group
3 - Fake glowing plants (think lucite with hidden light sources)
4 - Star Tours derived motion sim
5 - Meet N Grope
6 - Merch
7 - Oh I forgot budget cuts - so the tree will be papier-mache and the plants will be painted cardboard

Last edited by a moderator:

scout68

Besides what is TDO going to build

1 - Another Concrete Tree to drop parts on unsuspecting guests
2 - Floating boulders (big concrete rocks on chains - these will be able to take out an entire tour group
3 - Fake glowing plants (think lucite with hidden light sources)
4 - Star Tours derived motion sim
5 - Meet N Grope
6 - Merch
7 - Oh I forgot budget cuts - so the tree will be papier-mache and the plants will be painted cardboard

Step 1.

REMOVE YOURSELF FROM ALL KNOWLEDGE OF THE MOVIE.

As for the rest... Assume the worst and complain about it as if it were gospel.

Great plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom