Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Visionary Soul

@WDW1974 , Lee, @TheVisionarySoul .... so, I know I shouldn't take Jim Hill seriously by any stretch of the imagination, but he almost sounds like he knows something in regards to the DAK projects in his latest article (not sure if I can link here?) ....

Particularly, the interesting little nibbles of information regarding the Tree of Life (and nets currently surrounding it) and how the leaves all need to be switched out. I'm assuming the structure itself at this point will be 'fixed' so the damn thing doesn't fall apart more and crash onto the pavement. Have you heard anything about this?

Also, the SW ideas he posted are similar to the ones you've shared recently and I was wondering if there has been any more details at to what would flesh out a re-do of TL. Would it be a simple re-skin of the current land with a small SW area or would SW encompass more of the current land?

And will the same happen to TL in the Magic Kingdom, or will SW be contained to DHS only?
Okay, so I just read what Jimmy Hilly said in his most recent Avatar themed article. What Jimmy had to say is actually quite accurate this time... that isn't all that surprising. Because honestly, it's all a rehash of him stating the obvious. The only thing I don't believe entirely from that piece is that Lord of the Rings stuff. I've mentioned that Universal is doing Lord of the Rings, and that's still the plan from what I've heard. This whole "WDI trying to get New Line just to put pressure on James Cameron... the greatest pioneer" well, I don't believe that part of the story one bit.

Any idiot can tell you that Steve's Wonderfully Marketable World of Watercolors (or anything like it) can't go into the Discovery River. It doesn't have a cement bottom, or a filtration system. And if you tried to install one, it would be prohibitively expensive.

I will say this: You should not walk under the Tree of Life right now. Wood pillars and rope netting aren't going to stop a tree branch from falling, actually, I take that back. It would stop a normal tree branch. What it won't stop is a fake tree branch made of hand crafted cement and hardened steel from falling on you. The idea that Disney thinks it's okay for a temporary solution to do this still eludes me. Almost as much as how Universal thinks they can still run Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and not kill someone eventually. My point is that anyone who knows the condition of The Tree of Life Imminent Injury (including you it seems) could have predicted that it will undergo a full refurbishment... all Jimmy did is link it together with pretty Avatar lights.

I'm not ready to talk about what I know regarding Star Wars. There are still too many concepts in competition with each other to speak about what will win out. Maybe Sprit or Lee can help you there, they would probably know more than me, and/or be more willing to speak about the concepts being thrown around in Glendale.

asianway

Also you have to think about why the art was shown in Tokyo. Might it be because WDI is desperate to sell a big project to OLC?
Anyone know if OLC has to contractually use WDI, or could they use their own in house creative and just get the plans approved by TWDC?

Stevek

Spir
Folks have wondered whether Joe Rohde is happy working on Pandora. While I know the man, I haven't spoken to him in a few years now and can only base an opinion on what I know. He is working with someone who is a perfectionist for quality (writing a story aside) on a project with a healthy budget (it is NOT nearly $700 million as some here have suggested). So while I think like most fanbois he would have preferred BK or something different entirely, he's probably thrilled to have one major project left at WDW before they throw him out.

Honor over at Blue Sky did a write up on Pandora and made a good point about Joe (in addition to your points above)...

http://www.blueskydisney.com/2013/10/a-peek-into-pandora.html

"Even though we haven't yet gotten those mythical dragons and other creatures, Joe Rohde's goal is to provide that mythic experience which was missing from the opening. They will simply be science fiction imaginary creations instead of ancient lore creations. It will finally helped develop the park into three divisions: living, extinct and imaginary animals. And before you complain too much, this doesn't mean that we won't get something like Beastly Kingdomme. It just means that it (and the proposed Austrailia area) will come later."

Stevek

Yep was too busy to check, but has any mainstream press or industry pubs paid attention to the fact Mulan wants some hot princess on princess (no, bois, not what you do at Vista way) action with Aurora.?

Anyone remember when the actress playing Mulan was on the MTV Real World show...San Diego I think. She's come a long way, and is still pretty hot. Some princess on princess action would be welcomed.

stevehousse

Speaking of Star Wars, anyone wonder why the backlot tour is getting a supposed rehab when it's suppose to be going away? Have they changed their minds and are now keeping it for longer???

stevehousse

Anyone remember when the actress playing Mulan was on the MTV Real World show...San Diego I think. She's come a long way, and is still pretty hot. Some princess on princess action would be welcomed.

She really is te only person from that show to actually get famous. That Jicinda (sp) chick did some stuff but Jamie has been in a ton of movies and tv! Good for her! I loved her on real world and love her on Once...

scout68

Why? What does that accomplish?

If it is at all possible remove yourself from all knowledge of the movie (I'll wait...).

OK. If you were to receive the breaking news that AK will be getting a new land bursting with opticals, a couple of killer rides, a night time show, giant bio-luminescents everywhere etc. etc. etc.

You can honestly say you wouldn't be excited?

I think most if not all of the AVAHATERS would have a different view.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bairstow

Okay, so I just read what Jimmy Hilly said in his most recent Avatar themed article. What Jimmy had to say is actually quite accurate this time... that isn't all that surprising. Because honestly, it's all a rehash of him stating the obvious. The only thing I don't believe entirely from that piece is that Lord of the Rings stuff. I've mentioned that Universal is doing Lord of the Rings, and that's still the plan from what I've heard. This whole "WDI trying to get New Line just to put pressure on James Cameron... the greatest pioneer" well, I don't believe that part of the story one bit.

Any idiot can tell you that Steve's Wonderfully Marketable World of Watercolors (or anything like it) can't go into the Discovery River. It doesn't have a cement bottom, or a filtration system. And if you tried to install one, it would be prohibitively expensive.

I will say this: You should not walk under the Tree of Life right now. Wood pillars and rope netting aren't going to stop a tree branch from falling, actually, I take that back. It would stop a normal tree branch. What it won't stop is a fake tree branch made of hand crafted cement and hardened steel from falling on you. The idea that Disney thinks it's okay for a temporary solution to do this still eludes me. Almost as much as how Universal thinks they can still run Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and not kill someone eventually. My point is that anyone who knows the condition of The Tree of Life Imminent Injury (including you it seems) could have predicted that it will undergo a full refurbishment... all Jimmy did is link it together with pretty Avatar lights.

I'm not ready to talk about what I know regarding Star Wars. There are still too many concepts in competition with each other to speak about what will win out. Maybe Sprit or Lee can help you there, they would probably know more than me, and/or be more willing to speak about the concepts being thrown around in Glendale.

Jimmy Hilly?

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Well that name just rolls right off the tongue.

Generally right idea, but just like many other things lately lousy execution.
People will probably just call it Pandora, just like other ride names have been modified/shortened.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - Winnie the Pooh
Pirates of the Caribbean - Pirates
Under the Sea Journey of the Little Mermaid - the Little Mermaid ride

Atomicmickey

Thanks for this. I won't be standing under the Tree of Imminent Injury any time soon.

Without knowing more about Star Wars, is there some sort of timetable for an announcement, or is it
going to be "when it's ready to announce", that sort of thing.

SirLink

Thanks for this. I won't be standing under the Tree of Imminent Injury any time soon.

Without knowing more about Star Wars, is there some sort of timetable for an announcement, or is it
going to be "when it's ready to announce", that sort of thing.

I know I'm no insider when it comes to the US parks - but I would imagine that the latest possible time that they would announce it would be Star Wars Weekends, actually when you think about it would make sense to do a presentation/have the model on show for the Star Wars geeks to geek out and get them to trial Blue Milk...

the.dreamfinder

Anyone know if OLC has to contractually use WDI, or could they use their own in house creative and just get the plans approved by TWDC?
Spirit has said in the past that WDAT has let OLC use outside contractors for small projects from time to time. Still desperately want OLC to take over WDW.

jt04

Times tough in NM since Heisenberg was killed there Badger?

I am afraid your here in the sun here has passed and isn't coming back.

but thanks for dropping by ..and I did see you admitting I was right recently on another thread. Glad you finally got the point in the end.

You were right.........until last Friday night. See Avatar thread.

BTW, why didn't anyone know about the new nightly DAK adds? Wonder what else is going on at DHS, Epcot, MK?

More 'spirited change' besides Pandora? :D

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Here's a vintage video from 1990 by ABC confronting Disney on its government powers, the then upcoming opening of Universal, the lack of EPCOT the city and even a brief mention of the Long Beach v. Anaheim competition for Disney's second park in California. All in less than 7 minutes!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You were right.........until last Friday night. See Avatar thread.

BTW, why didn't anyone know about the new nightly DAK adds? Wonder what else is going on at DHS, Epcot, MK?

More 'spirited change' besides Pandora? :D

I don't recall who, but I know someone had brought up the possibility of a new nighttime show for DAK and other additions beyond Avatar to make if a full day park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom