Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaceghost

Yep. Typo. Thanks. Fixed. ... and while I have spent many a day in Maine, I have never visited Acadia.

I understand the autism deal can be a fine line ... but it is also a line that has been crossed far too often (both in weak diagnosis' by docs and by parents who actually want the label on their child ... and enjoy special treatment at WDW as an aside).
As a local, I sometimes take for granted the beauty found here in Maine. We traveled earlier this year to the southwest, and as we visited the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, and more, we wondered if the locals there did the same thing. I'd heartily recommend Acadia for a visit (summer or early fall).

As for the autism thing, I do agree with you. But as a parent of kids with behaviors that can be extremely difficult, I can understand the desire to get some sort of diagnosis and treatment. But... on the topic of Disney, the GAC or DAS cards should be for extreme cases only. Old argument that I'll leave there!

stlphil

Only fanbois care about Indy. Disney doesn't even care and they just bought the IP. To suddenly think they'll make an Indy attraction at WDW is akin to them making an Oliver and Co. or even Mulan attraction.

And I have NOT heard good things about the Tron coaster headed to SDL. ... I am not a fan of that type of ride to begin with because of the weird and uncomfortable way you are seated to ride.
While I don't really disagree about Indy, just tonight it was a major plot point on Big Bang Theory in a way that assumes that everyone is very familiar with it, so I think it still has cultural significance.

GiveMeTheMusic

That is a popular 'net myth. They were used and tested extensively for both ST 2.0 and this attraction ...but they were not stripped and destroyed at all.

But Staggs said Iron Man is going to be an "advanced" simulator attraction? Like Elisabeth Shue advanced?

Funmeister

I don't worry.

I make others worry.

Speaking of making others worry. This was a fun tidbit from Screamscape today. I thought it was fun anyway.

icon_STOP.gif
Disney - (10/10/13) Disney park fans, want to know about the inner workings and lifestyles of the Disney Cast Members? Someone has started a new blog called the Disney Cast Blast, which aims to share the true behind the scenes stories of Disney Cast Members. This could get interesting… as long as no one gets fired.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Those Body Wars sims? The ones that were rumored to have been reduced to pretty much scrap metal and thus never again usable in any form? For Walt Disney World that is - but they'll (magically?) work again if transported around the globe? So, was the whole "dismantled simulators" line just spin to help justify shuttering a pavilion, or did someone have to write a big enough check to get them rebuilt? Suddenly I wish they'd wanted SpectroMagic, too.

They get our simulators, we get an empty pavilion. I know that makes sense to TDO - and nobody else.

It's an empty pavilion. You're supposed to use your imagination to fill it.

See? TDO logic. It does work.somehow. Kinda.

Not really.

Soarin' Over Pgh

To be fair, it is hard to think about the future when the average American is just trying to get through the week. Poverty and hopelessness does that to people.

Someone give this man a cookie.

And for the record, 1.5 hours until payday...woohoo, electricity won't get shut off for another month!

:(

Let me think about priorities for a second here. Pay utility bills or book over priced wdw vacation for next year...when I'm not entirely positive I'll be gainfully employed. Hmmm.

Tough call there. I sure hope disney raises prices again soon, just to put the nail in the coffin.

MerlinTheGoat

Well, there is no substitute for experience and perspective. So, those American (or European) fanbois who blather and bash on HKDL without ever setting foot in it have worthless opinions to me.
I don't think it's unfair to admit that when it first opened, HKDL had a very rocky beginning attraction wise and was received rather poorly from a lot of Disney fans. Even many open minded fans who don't hate China for whatever reason (like irrational racism or a hatred of communism and the government) and did visit it have conceded it had major flaws.

There's plenty of merit in the experience comment, but to be fair there really wasn't much legitimately amazing content to attract even the more open minded American or European people in the first place (unlike most other Disney parks on earth). That's a problem regardless of whether you've been or not and whether you yourself enjoyed it for what it was. I myself haven't been (I still have Disneyland on my priorities and would jump at a chance to try out Tokyo Disneyland), but I can tell you that there was no lack of people who DID visit in years past with major complaints about a severe lack of Disney caliber rides. It's not just non-visitors that bashed it. And from just looking at the roster of attractions, I don't blame them, it's a perfectly understandable argument to have held against HKDL.

HKDL pre-2012, I wouldn't have been interested in visiting. And i've always loved traveling to other countries and have no problem with a China Disney park. With the opening of Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point, there is an actual wish to see the park someday. That may never happen of course, but there now exists the desire to whereas there wasn't one before recently. The legitimitate reasons for not wanting to visit are diminishing, and hopefully will continue to diminish in the future. One hopes Shanghai doesn't open with the same problems HKDL opened with and doesn't take almost a decade to correct.

And while this will be little more than ST:TNG, I don't feel there's anything wrong with that. I am no SW fanboi ... yet, I'd say that the best thing added in the last 5-6 years at WDW is ST 2.0 ... by far.

This will take that experience to another level, so I fail to see how that is bad.
There's nothing wrong with a Star Tours 2.0 like ride. And as they're just coming off of building two new original and awesome E Tickets, it's fine to add something less major, provided they still do bigger things in the future. But I wouldn't put a simulator ride on the same level as the two previous attractions just finished there. It's a welcome addition, but if it's going to be "little more" than a plussed Star Tours 2.0 with Iron Man, i'm not going to hype it as any more than that. I'm sure different people have different standards, but I don't consider simulators like these to be "E Tickets".

I think it'll be ok as long as they don't hype it up to be more than what it is, and don't take a ridiculous amount of time to build it (kind of too late to roll eyes about the bloated $100 million price). And ST 2.0 being the best thing added to WDW in the last 5-6 years really isn't saying much (to be honest it's not saying anything really).

BrianLo

HKDL pre-2012, I wouldn't have been interested in visiting.

And ST 2.0 being the best thing added to WDW in the last 5-6 years really isn't saying much (to be honest it's not saying anything really).

Definitely agree, it was a shell when built (but at least a solid shell).

For what it's worth, I think ST 2.0 is a better attraction than Grizzly. But they are all very good attractions in my mind. Mystic Manor being even another step above that.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm not bashing ST 2.0 btw, I think it's an excellent upgrade to what was there before and I would indeed call it the best "addition" to WDW in years. It's a very fun ride. While I said it was a more minor attraction, there's nothing wrong with minor attractions when done right (which ST 2.0 definitely is).

I'm just much more impressed by elaborate non-simulator rides. I'm also guessing what was once under consideration for Disneyland's Tomorrowland regarding Iron Man may have been somewhat more ambitious than the proposed HKDL attraction. Not that it would have come out of the arrangement with an intact budget (it too perhaps would have ended up as some type of simulator once the bean counters got their hands on it), but I heard people talking about some pretty impressive conceptual proposals for the ride there (I think KUKA was mentioned once or twice on the list of possibilities).

Last edited:

Stevek

Speaking of the Twitverse ... is that Matt Feige kid related to the film Marvel? ...

Kevin Feige's brother I believe. And from everything I've read and heard about him, is apparently a really good guy. Has always been friendly with me via Twitter. Have never met him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom