Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Empress Lilly

Not to be a negative ninny, but I heard something two days ago about the WDW budget that sounded similar. I am not pleased if this pans out. Star Wars needs a massive budget if it's to over-impress.
That's depressing.

There is no value SW land. You can value engineer a Toy Story Playland, with three $62,500 off-the-shelf carnival rides and $1500 bamboo landscaping. But not Star Wars. You need to go big or go home. Global SW fandom will embrace you or spit you out, and they will be very decisive for public opinion about SWLand.

A kiddie Jedi academy and a SW vinylmation giftshop means Disney will get burned down by SW fans, that is, 200 million internet-savvy nerds with too much time on their hands.

Animaniac93-98

Yeah pretty much. I suppose they will need to remove this since it won't fit anymore.

plaque.jpg

When this quote was delivered Tomorrowland represented a "scientific" vision of what the world would look like in the year 1986. By that time the Magic Highway U.S.A. depiction of tomorrow was terribly dated, which is why it was used in a retro context in Horizons. Star Wars or not, those words became irrelevant decades ago. Especially in the 80s when Star Wars first appeared (along with Captain EO) and the land took its major shift towards sci-fi over "science factual" (what Ward Kimball called the land-relevant TV episodes).

the.dreamfinder

Not to be a negative ninny, but I heard something two days ago about the WDW budget that sounded similar. I am not pleased if this pans out. Star Wars needs a massive budget if it's to over-impress.
Agreed. In the era of Wizarding World and the upcoming Diagon Alley, it's go big or go home. Disney needs to remind the public why they are number one* in themed entertainment.

BrianLo

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business...ust-shut-down-100-employees-let-go-89480.html
Just three years after it opened, Pixar Canada shut down today leaving over one hundred people unemployed, according to the Province. A Disney spokesperson, Barb Matheson, said that, “A decision was made to refocus operations and resources under the one roof. Staff were just told today. Not great news, obviously. It was just a refocussing of efforts and resources to the one facility.”

The studio, which worked primarily on shorts based on existing Pixar IP, had created films like Air Mater, Small Fry, and Partysaurus Rex.

That's terribly sad, really nice people who were extremely welcoming to myself and my youngest brother this summer. They have a lot to be proud of.

bhg469

Anecdotal I know, but at least the imagineers are pumped for the Iron men project.

I side with @WDW1974 that this will be better than the low expectations people are setting.
That's not surprising, my expectations are a bigger Jedi academy stage and a princess meet and greet. Maybe blue milk.

Funmeister

I would disagree with that. Hong Kong is one of the most cosmopolitan cities anywhere. And the park is quite immersive and detailed and getting more so all of the time. I think folks are jumping to a lot of conclusions based on one piece of artwork.

As to it appearing elsewhere, I don't think it will. The SAR has made it very clear that they want unique attractions and I am thrilled. You have no idea how badly Disney has tried to foist TSMM on them.

I would disagree with that. Hong Kong is one of the most cosmopolitan cities anywhere. And the park is quite immersive and detailed and getting more so all of the time. I think folks are jumping to a lot of conclusions based on one piece of artwork.

As to it appearing elsewhere, I don't think it will. The SAR has made it very clear that they want unique attractions and I am thrilled. You have no idea how badly Disney has tried to foist TSMM on them.

You have a point. I have not been there. It reminds me when HDL people came to visit and Disney used all of the existing parks as a basic catalog of shows and attractions. It gave myself and others the impression that HKDL was really being done on the cheap. I am glad to hear that did not happen as it was perceived.

Lee

Adventurer
Your only saying that because you read today's Miceage update. No disrespect intended but this time I'm gonna take a wait and see.
Not true. I haven't read Miceage.

Edit: Just read their article. It's a stretch. I have heard of the outdoor speeder bikes being considered, but to say/imply that they are a sure thing? Way too early to say.
Their whole story seems like they took all the blue sky ideas and suddenly greenlit them.

Wait and see is a good idea.

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

...Have we really stooped so low as to use our vacuums as the new measuring stick of how... of what? how stupid we (you) are for paying hundreds of dollars or is just purely bragging rights?

No matter what the answer... Lame.

Im glad we finally have a little fat to chew on regarding the (lack of) new rides for WDW and some potential ones for DL. I was eying Google Maps of DL last night... I forgot exactly how tightly packed that park is.

Last edited:

twebber55

Edit: Just read their article. It's a stretch. I have heard of the outdoor speeder bikes being considered, but to say/imply that they are a sure thing? Way too early to say.
Their whole story seems like they took all the blue sky ideas and suddenly greenlit them.

so what you re saying is nothing is yet green lit and whatever DL gets WDW will get as well?

doctornick

The outdoor speeder bikes/tearing down Autopia does seem like an (expensive) stretch. There's already complaining from the DLR faithful about using Autopia based on the article.

Switching the location of Astro Orbitor I think would be a positive from an aesthetics standpoint, though the proposed location seems odd to be as it seems like it would block Space Mountain.

Putting Mos Eisley in the TL Terrace is fine, but wouldn't Pizza Port be a better location? It is in between the Eo theater and Innoventions, which seems to be smack among all the Star Wars stuff.

Love the Millennium Falcon walk-through idea and really hope it finds it's way to Florida.

lazyboy97o

That seems to have been the case since Al stopped writing. A lot of Blue Sky talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom