Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWDad13

Swapping a ride with a ride is not comparable to swapping a ride with a meet-and-great. The former is acceptable given the constraints of limited space; the latter is infuriating.

The closed Snow White because they were building the new enhanced Snow White ride....and just decided to put the meet in greet where the old ride was. I don't think you're comparing apples to apples here

BryceM

Trashing E.T. In favor of going blue with a Smurf encounter! I wouldn't be surprised if Cats days aren't numbered.
I don't think this is going to happen just because UNI questioned people in a survey about Smurfs, then everyone assumed that it was going to replace to E.T.. It was never confirmed and I doubt it's going to come true...

JimboJones123

I don't think this is going to happen just because UNI questioned people in a survey about Smurfs, then everyone assumed that it was going to replace to E.T.. It was never confirmed and I doubt it's going to come true...
Since the Smurf movie tanked, I am sure Universal made some adjustments concerning Smurf demand.

Give us Middle Earth.

Bolna

The closed Snow White because they were building the new enhanced Snow White ride....and just decided to put the meet in greet where the old ride was. I don't think you're comparing apples to apples here

There was no need to close the ride, they mine coaster has only very few show scenes (maybe only one?). The dark ride was about Snow White, the mine ride could have been a perfect addition by focussing on the dwarf. And even if they closed it. How difficult would have been to just make it into another dark ride for one of the fairytale classics? Could not have cost much more than the redesign they did now.

The thing that annoys me about this meet and greet is that actually the "New Fantasyland" does not add any rides to the MK count as it replaces 2000 leagues under the sea and Snow White with the mine train and Little Mermaid.

lazyboy97o

There was no need to close the ride, they mine coaster has only very few show scenes (maybe only one?). The dark ride was about Snow White, the mine ride could have been a perfect addition by focussing on the dwarf. And even if they closed it. How difficult would have been to just make it into another dark ride for one of the fairytale classics? Could not have cost much more than the redesign they did now.

The thing that annoys me about this meet and greet is that actually the "New Fantasyland" does not add any rides to the MK count as it replaces 2000 leagues under the sea and Snow White with the mine train and Little Mermaid.
You forget the second Dumbo the Flying Elephant carousel that spins in the opposite direction. That is an entirely new experience in rotational movement!

WDWDad13

I do agree with they should have made that into another dark ride for another movie... I was hoping for Tangled. I think they missed a good op here and I think they should have had princess meet and greets near their areas/attractions - Tangled by the tower, Snow White by the coaster, Ariel already in her spot, Cinderella by the castle, Tiana by Riverboat area, etc. etc some of the others like Sleeping Beauty...hmmm...not sure but many of these are in EPCOT (like Mulan, etc.)

twebber55

With all of the different discussions on here especially those regarding Uni I would be very curious what the average ages are of us on here, if we have kids and their age, etc.

I guess what I'm curious about is if more of the college/young adult ages (many without kids) or those with teenage kids ibto thrill rides are more pro Uni while the older crowd and/or with younger children are more pro Disney.

I do agree with they should have made that into another dark ride for another movie... I was hoping for Tangled. I think they missed a good op here and I think they should have had princess meet and greets near their areas/attractions - Tangled by the tower, Snow White by the coaster, Ariel already in her spot, Cinderella by the castle, Tiana by Riverboat area, etc. etc some of the others like Sleeping Beauty...hmmm...not sure but many of these are in EPCOT (like Mulan, etc.)
i would say a strong demographic of males 18-30 dominate this and other theme park web sites
cue the people who are not in this demograohic

lazyboy97o

i would say a strong demographic of males 18-30 dominate this and other theme park web sites
cue the people who are not in this demograohic
Part of Disney's problem of late is an over emphasis on targeted demographics. It should not be this group over here, and this group over there. It should all be a mix. And on top of that, when it comes to little kids, the entertainment and experiences should be accessible to them, not targeting at just them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Part of Disney's problem of late is an over emphasis on targeted demographics. It should not be this group over here, and this group over there. It should all be a mix. And on top of that, when it comes to little kids, the entertainment and experiences should be accessible to them, not targeting at just them.

I don't expect this to get better, but worse with Nextgen. Now they can take the demographic thing to lower levels of detail by creating sub-demographic profiles. There are demographic sub-groups who could be ignored or even phased out. Think of it this way. Families with kids are big spenders and add big to the bottom line. We hear a lot of people here complain about boring, generic or cheap merchandise that is overpriced. Some people say they can't find anything they want to buy anymore. My kids never have a problem finding stuff to buy. kids eat that cheap, generic crap up. Why exert an effort to cater to the more discriminating guest when the masses with kids are pleased with the current offerings? Not every adult in the 18-30 demographic who travels to WDW without kids is a "bad customer". Some actually spend more than families. With additional levels of info they can now target the spenders and ignore the rest. If you travel to WDW but don't stay on property, eat in their restaurants or buy any merchandise you are just taking up space that could be occupied by a guest willing to spend (maybe a Brazilian from a tour group;)). The point is Disney will likely increase their targeting of demographic groups. Our only hope is that somehow the additional data points out that there is a valuable market in targeting more adult oriented attractions.

Fe Maiden

Living the last five years in TN, I've just gotten used to those ugly Titans uniforms. TN is one of those rare teams where you look forward to the throw back uniforms.

Have they even changed their uniforms?

And what have my Dolphins done to those wonderful old uniforms. Ugghh. At least there's always throwback games... :facepalm:

It looks like they replaced the dolphin with a tube of Aquafresh toothpaste.

StarWarsGirl

Our only hope is that somehow the additional data points out that there is a valuable market in targeting more adult oriented attractions.
Teens and college students could be a very valuable market. Or families that have teens. Or they could target to a more mixed demographic, appealing to various market segments. For instance, with Belle's enchanted tales, they could have done a dark ride. I wouldn't go through something silly like Enchanted Tales, but I would go on a dark ride. Teens would probably be more interested if they had a few more Roller Coasters and thrill rides as well. If they had more of a balance between kids and teens, they would have more families with teens spending their time at WDW and less time over at Uni.

truecoat

There's only one team I'm watching today and its not the Jets, Titans or Steelers.

image.jpg

alissafalco

Lee

Adventurer
Living the last five years in TN, I've just gotten used to those ugly Titans uniforms. TN is one of those rare teams where you look forward to the throw back uniforms.
Yeah...I agree with the uniforms, it's time for a refresh there.
They will be playing two games this year in the dark blue jerseys, hopefully paired with the dark blue pants. I'm also rooting for a light blue jersey/white pants combo.
I'd love for my favorite team to also have my favorite uni's, but Seattle has won my uniform crown, hands down.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Teens and college students could be a very valuable market. Or families that have teens. Or they could target to a more mixed demographic, appealing to various market segments. For instance, with Belle's enchanted tales, they could have done a dark ride. I wouldn't go through something silly like Enchanted Tales, but I would go on a dark ride. Teens would probably be more interested if they had a few more Roller Coasters and thrill rides as well. If they had more of a balance between kids and teens, they would have more families with teens spending their time at WDW and less time over at Uni.

No doubt that some teens and young adults could make good customers. Some don't. I don't think Disney ever made a strong effort to attract this demographic, but in recent times it seems they are going out of their way to avoid them. Look at the recent price bumps for FL resident APs. They seem to be turning their backs on the locals crowd who are frequenting Universal more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom