Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.dreamfinder

The thing is, DTD is an excellent retail location for the right kind of shop. Outstanding seven-days-a-week year-round foot traffic from lots of tourists already primed to spend big on trinkets while staying at expensive resorts. (Does WDW have any other kind?:D)

Justifiably, Disney should have been able to get top dollar for Disney Springs.

When shopping there, just remember that retailers pass their costs onto their customers. Prices for goods at Disney Springs should be "fun". :rolleyes:
I don't doubt that, but they still have to make the numbers work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you think TWDC wants media coverage of this aspect of its business?

While it could make the circuit in the Florida TV news for a single week.. outside of Florida I doubt anyone would give it more than a cursory glance. Disney's lobbying efforts are nowhere near pure and are prime examples of self-serving corporate actions -- yet it never makes any ripples beyond the directly connected regions of Florida and SoCal. And even then, the news doesn't have any inertia behind it. The stories get ran, and the topic fizzles.

People already tried to make media coverage of this happen 2 years ago during election season and even then it never gained any traction.

So do I think TWDC wants media coverage of this? I don't think any company likes media stories that try to paint their company in a negative light. But there are alot of things that will die out quickly if you just let it run its course on its own.

Soarin' Over Pgh

No, I am talking about last year's version.

LOVED the Lorax. Didn't think I would but man... There's nothing like a pleasant surprise, right? :)

It *is* unbelievable.

Any idea what the breakdown is, money wise?

Neurotic, frenzied and paranoid! Some of the things I said could easily lead back to me...They are watching me!!! When you call you will need to get through my security.

You have no idea how badly I'd love to be NSA and wiretap that conversation. Fan girls dream!

Soarin' Over Pgh

@whylightbulb, thanks for the info! WWOHP 2.0 sounds amazing.

also: all of you feel bad for me, for i am a jets fan.

I'll cry in the corner with you. Jets are my #2 team.... Steelers are my #1 and they look rough this year. Went to two preseason games and watched them lose both, looking drunk and dazed on the field.

When does hockey season start? :)

StarWarsGirl

Back to what I was trying to saying. After having a well paid 25 years in Broadcasting career and getting my Disability and the back pay of 2 years. I got a decent amount. Enough for me and my partner to get back on our feet and take a vacation. Now don't assume I'm a welfare cheater or a bum. I get what I get. Because I out into the system and I deserve what I get each month and I'm grateful for that. I wanted to do the Big Bucket list of staying at The CR and WDW experience. But he works at Marriott and he took care of me for 4 yrs. while I was in and out of the hospital 9 or 10 times. We both discussed it and said screw this lets go to Hawaii. We did and thru his work and his discounts from Marriott. We went to Oahu stayed 8 days at Marriott's Ko Olina Resort. The last resort on the island maybe a quarter mile from Disney Aulani. 8 days in a villa, roundtrip airfare from Florida and a rental car and a 1 hr helicopter ride over the island. Total Cost of the whole trip. Not per person was $4000.00. It was the best trip ever. No made up "magic or screaming kids or mad adults who just spent a fortune for the Disney Touch. It was what we needed and I needed . Rest and relaxation.We had checked into doing the Aulani and the price for a room. Not a villa was $1000.00 more than our whole trip and we also checked into doing The CR at WDW it was the same way. And we live in Florida. This one statement you made . Is what I had been pondering and wanting to say about WDW and DISNEY and the Fanbois and the People like WDW 1974 and the others that get obsessed over a DAMN Theme Park. There is more to life than a theme park. WE have the money and yes it's been money not Credit Cards! We got rid of those 21 year ago and we pay for everything we do or buy or own in CASH. THJNK YOU YOU. THANK YOU so much. For today. I will not read anymore of these Blogs about DISNEY or WDW. For today and last year I realized I have a 2nd chance at living and seeing the real beauty of the world that Nature or GOD has given us. THANK YOU !!!!
Um... the Marriot is right next door to Aulani. This is it from Aulani....
IMG_2183.JPG

It seems like you're judging Aulani unfairly. See, Aulani is an experience all in its own. And it doesn't have the same vibe that WDW has. So you're paying for that experience. The Marriot is very nice and I'm glad you had a good time. Next time you go I suggest you at least walk around Aulani so you get a sense of what you're paying for. Or go have dinner there next time you go. The one restaurant has a buffet but also an a la carte option.

Also, I stayed at the Hilton in Waikiki and didn't like it as well. And our airfare from Dulles cost $4000 round trip for the four of us.

As to the rest of your post, to me, Hawaii was fine. In no way would I call it a "life changing experience". But I'm glad you enjoyed it. I don't really have any intention of going back due to some BAD allergies.

What I don't get is why you say that it's just a "damn theme park". Obviously it once meant something to you and it means something to those of us who are on here. I also don't get why if you dislike it so much you are on a fan forum dedicated to Disney. If you would rather go to Hawaii, that's great. But don't ruin WDW for those of us who want to go or criticize those of us who spend our free time talking about it on a fan board. What we do with our free time is for us.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I'll cry in the corner with you. Jets are my #2 team.... Steelers are my #1 and they look rough this year. Went to two preseason games and watched them lose both, looking drunk and dazed on the field.

When does hockey season start? :)

Can't wait for hockey... Though I suspect you're a fan of the Pens? I hate the Pens lol... Isles fan here... I'm excited for the Isles though, so young and talented.

BryceM

Lee I sent you the post. Spirit if you want to read it let me know or have Lee forward it but I'm sure you are tired of hearing my rants and you have heard most of it before anyway :rolleyes: For everyone else here is an update that focuses mostly on the positive aspects of 722.

The Hogwarts Express will truly be a magical experience. It is the perfect blend of theatrical tools and theme park artistry that we used to expect from Disney. The cabin interiors are fantastic and the mock up almost had me shed a tear or two. Between the sounds, stations, effects and really cool media this will be a homerun in my opinion. When the train pulls into the station and the steam, sounds and atmosphere are all programmed in it will be a special theme park moment for most guests.

When walking through Gringotts the main thing you say to yourself is "wow...this is just BIG!" Everything is big. The rockwork is amazing and it's BIG. The vault room is BIG and jaw dropping impressive. The unique track elements are BIG...I mean really BIG and should be a lot of fun. There are massive screens (think Simpsons or larger) and the vehicles will move into the sweet spots at the right times and there will be unique movements that most will not expect. I know this is not new information and is readily available online but I just want to remind everyone and put it in perspective.

The rest of the land is bigger than most expect as well. Have I mentioned big? Yes I have a lot of negative to say but all in all this will still be 100 times better than anything WDW has done in the past 10 years.

Lee and HTF and Spirit are correct regarding Lorax and JP.
Awesome! Can you also confirm if what they have been saying about Toon Lagoon being replaced is true?

raymusiccity

I love E.T. Adventure! I just didn't know whether to classify it as an E-Ticket since it isn't a headliner attraction. But yeah, I like E.T. better than quite a few of the Disney dark rides. There is also Cat in the Hat, but that's definitely a D-Ticket.

Uni is starting to make some knee jerk changes just like Disney.

IE:

Turning a classic dark ride into a Princess Meet & Greet.

Trashing E.T. In favor of going blue with a Smurf encounter! I wouldn't be surprised if Cats days aren't numbered.

magicallactose

Uni is starting to make some knee jerk changes just like Disney.

IE:

Turning a classic dark ride into a Princess Meet & Greet.

Trashing E.T. In favor of going blue with a Smurf encounter! I wouldn't be surprised if Cats days aren't numbered.

Swapping a ride with a ride is not comparable to swapping a ride with a meet-and-great. The former is acceptable given the constraints of limited space; the latter is infuriating.

HMF

I think what he is saying is, he used to be someone who would obsess over WDW... Then he/she got sick and realized there is more to life than obsessing over WDW... Saw the decline, but even so, enjoyed his trip cause of his new outlook.. But, the main point to his post is that we should be more worried about real world problems than what does or does not happen at a theme park...
Sadly, it seems that what is happening at the theme parks right now seems to be a reflection of real world problems.

The Visionary Soul

So, I missed whylightbulb's post yesterday. I assume it had something to do with the Hogwarts Express or Gringott's ride. I wish I could have seen it, but, since I can't... I figure I'll give it a shot of what it contained... at least the Hogwarts Express part.

Because, if you're like me and still wondering how the Hogwarts Express will work, this may be it.

DISCLAIMER: I believe this rumor to be true, but since I haven't seen any physical proof of the layout of the train interior myself, I can't guarantee anything. (Though I have some friends who swear they've seen the layout of the train and that this is it) Perhaps @WDW1974, @whylightbulb, or @Lee can confirm or deny this? Also, this post may contain spoilers for you. And not the stuff that makes your eggs rotten, this is the stuff that shows you how they made the egg. Viewer discretion advised.

Okay, so here it goes. Upon boarding the train, the layout will seem familiar if you've seen the 3rd film. (At least I think it's from the 3rd film? The one with the dementor attack on the train? Whatever this one is...

In fact, watch that, it will get you in the mood.)

Okay, you back from that video? Spooky, huh? Well, being that this is a theme park attraction, there will be some differences from that video clip. First, the train looks a heck of a lot nicer... and certainly not as foreboding. Second, the window on the hallway side of the train isn't there or at least isn't visible from in the compartment. The compartments have "privacy screens" on the doors. Why? Well, I'll get to that. But from what I've seen, all of the compartments and the hallway of the train are actually shifted to one side of the actual physical train, and the remaining space in the train is home to a giant curved projection surface. (This is pure genius to shift everything over so you have room to play with where "outside" should be.)

So, when you look out the window in your compartment, you're looking at this huge seamless 4k projection surface. The real glass window in each compartment is open just a crack at the top for the air to come in. (There will be lots of rushing air...) Giant subwoofers will be under your seats will simulate the rumbling of the train and other sound effects. When the the compartment door closes, (and this is why there is a privacy screen) shadows will be visible of passing trolley carts and even the occasional witch or wizard thanks to hidden projectors in the hallways.

During the ride, you may encounter dementors, the flying car, or other elements from the films. But I'm sure you already knew that part. I'd go into the show effects, but I'm sure you can all figure out how they can make it feel like a dementor attack on a train.

So, that's what I've heard. Am I close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom